First Accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:49 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan
Just yanking your chain. There were some extenuating circumstances right, you did not just run into it at random?
i swerved to avoid a cat.

blame my stupidity for not wanting to run over a cat over my driving skills.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, lesson #1 from driving in rural areas. If an animal jumps out in front of you (not a moose) hit the fucker. Don't swerve, just nail it. Cat, dog, chipmunk, whatever ... hit it. They'll tell you the same in defensive driving courses. Your car will take some damage but you won't put anyone else in immediate danger.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,769 Likes on 2,543 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
thanks.

problem is that the shop where my car's at now says they're not going to touch the roof.

so if the adjustor comes and says they're gonna fix it, i'm gonna have to tow it to another shop, which poses another problem:

anyone recommend any shops in the houston area?
most likely they will probably fix it since I wouldnt say you have more than 1500 in parts maybe 2000. Also have a mechanic look over your tranny too. About 6 months after my accident (car doesnt get driven much while I am at school) my tranny case just decided it no longer wanted to stay together and basically blew up inside and according to the dealer it had a major stress crack in it. you could see the trail of tranny fluid from my buddies shop I drove from to home before I knew about the problem. Went to drive the car 4 hours later backed out of the garage and there was a 4ft wide puddle under my car after I backed up. Pulled back in right away and had it towed. luckly insurance covered it too since we proved I had only put 32 miles on the car since the body shop had it.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:26 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn, that sucks. same thing happened to me couple of years ago with my TSX, those darn cats gets you all the time...
Old 01-09-2008, 08:37 AM

well i spoke with the shop owner this morning.

he told me that the insurance adjustor wants to take the engine out and see what kind of frame damage there is underneath.

then he wants to pull the car and see if the roof will pop back into place. if not, then the roof will be replaced. whether or not that means it will be replaced with a brand new roof, i don't know yet.

so i'm gonna call the body shop at dealer in town, talk to them, and see if they can go pick up the car.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:37 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
damn hondas/acuras are weak.

i posted this a while back and guess what... the car ended up being totalled
Old 01-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me....wierd. Except it was a deer! lol I ended up bangning up my $750 wheel in the process, but thats about all that happened luckly.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:04 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
sorry to hear bro..just rear ended an audi the other day..no real damage though. Then later on that night i was driving and a cat ran under my car..i didnt have time to stop...such a bad night was that night
Old 01-09-2008, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by invisiblewar
sorry to hear bro..just rear ended an audi the other day..no real damage though. Then later on that night i was driving and a cat ran under my car..i didnt have time to stop...such a bad night was that night
thanks man.

and glad there wasn't any damage when you rear ended the audi.

and about the cat, just think of it this way. i saved one, you killed one. it evens out.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:45 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
The buckling on the roof is pretty obviously from the accident. Your car hasn't been hit before and roofs don't just buckle like that
Old 01-09-2008, 02:46 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
It'll be repaired by someone. A roof panel is only $500.

it's more then just the roof panel that will need to be fixed if it buckled like that!
Old 01-09-2008, 02:48 PM
teh Senior Instigator

well the insurance said they just sent me a check for the estimate amount. if the actual amount is over, then the shop would call state farm, and state farm will pay the rest.

at this point, i'm wondering if i should just have it fixed at a dealerhip...

DO NOT TAKE A CHECK NOW

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT

Actually don't handle any money at all...let it all be done between the shop and insurance company!!!!! What they are trying to do is screw you..give you a check up front and then when your bill is over they WILL say "we'll that's your bad". Even though they say they will cover what extra it is, it'll be a serious PITA
Old 01-09-2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by CLpower
DO NOT TAKE A CHECK NOW

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT

Actually don't handle any money at all...let it all be done between the shop and insurance company!!!!! What they are trying to do is screw you..give you a check up front and then when your bill is over they WILL say "we'll that's your bad". Even though they say they will cover what extra it is, it'll be a serious PITA
thanks for the advice.

so what do you recommend i do when i receive the check since they've already mailed it?

just sit on it until it's repaired?
Old 01-10-2008, 01:13 AM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Should of just ran over the cat. It'll have 8 lives left.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Disinformation Terminator

thanks for the advice.

so what do you recommend i do when i receive the check since they've already mailed it?

just sit on it until it's repaired?
mod edit: nws link removed. Please review our NWS policy here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/not-safe-work-rules-guidelines-298280/
Old 01-10-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by TheMirror
Here dude, hopefully this will make you feel better.

mod edit: nws link removed. Please review our NWS policy here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298280
dude is that pr0n?

i just got flagged when i clicked on the link.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
dude is that pr0n?

i just got flagged when i clicked on the link.
He's clearly not thinking. It's a naked celebrity website and it's full of pics of her topless.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:50 AM

no wonder.

NSFW tags next time, please...
Old 01-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Disinformation Terminator

Originally Posted by charliemike
He's clearly not thinking. It's a naked celebrity website and it's full of pics of her topless.
Oops oops, sorry! Definitely wasn't thinking.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
thanks.

as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

but as they also say, it is what it is.

i do believe everything happens for a reason.

i'm at peace with everything right now because i understand there isn't anything i can really do except wait for the adjustor.

but i dunno if it's just me being a sissy or if this is normal with accidents. but each time i reenact the accident in my mind and "hear" the bang when i hit the curb, it gives me the chills.
It's a normal response. I hit a tree trying to avoid a stupid deer and totalled out my A4. The sound of the airbag going off stuck with me for a while. For some reason the drivers airbag didn't go off, and there was no passenger in the passenger seat, so it was all for nothing. The adjuster never even came to look at my car, he saw the pics from the bodyshop with the repair estimate ($10,000 for the body plus engine damage) and called it totalled. I then negotiated a price on the car and bought my TL. Good luck, glad you are OK. You have the right attitude about everything. The chills will pass when you are cruising in your new ride.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by blueracer17
It's a normal response. I hit a tree trying to avoid a stupid deer and totalled out my A4. The sound of the airbag going off stuck with me for a while. For some reason the drivers airbag didn't go off, and there was no passenger in the passenger seat, so it was all for nothing. The adjuster never even came to look at my car, he saw the pics from the bodyshop with the repair estimate ($10,000 for the body plus engine damage) and called it totalled. I then negotiated a price on the car and bought my TL. Good luck, glad you are OK. You have the right attitude about everything. The chills will pass when you are cruising in your new ride.
Thanks.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:09 AM

well, the car's been delivered to the dealer's body shop yesterday.

they have the claim number and my information.

but do i need to go there and talk to them? i'm sure they'll know what to do, but do i need to talk to them to get things started?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 AM

UPDATE (if anyone's interested):

called john eagle acura's body shop today to get an update on the car since i've never heard from them and they haven't been returning my voicemails.

they just started working on the car yesterday and it'll be back in 2 weeks....

in the meantime, i've been driving a rental '08 RAV4 (if anyone would like a review on the car....)

i asked if he has an estimate on the costs, and he said they're going to work off the adjustor's estimates. so it won't cost any less or any more.

Last edited by JediMindTricks; 01-18-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Just dial 1911

UPDATE (if anyone's interested):

called john eagle acura's body shop today to get an update on the car since i've never heard from them and they haven't been returning my voicemails.

they just started working on the car yesterday and it'll be back in 2 weeks....

in the meantime, i've been driving a rental '08 RAV4 (if anyone would like a review on the car....)

i asked if he has an estimate on the costs, and he said they're going to work off the adjustor's estimates. so it won't cost any less or any more.
Add at least another week or two to that estimate...
Old 01-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
I am glad things are working out for you... my wife got hit right at her drivers side rear door and was hit so hard that her ford expedition did a 180...the guy who hit her lied to the police....and she was so stunned by the impact that we got jacked (the police took her report right after she suffered an concusion)...we had to go to court (we won the case) and get a lawyer...this is Jan 2008 and she got hit in late October 2007...her suv has still not gotten paid for and is sitting in the yard of our house in AR...Liars < *
Old 01-18-2008, 11:05 AM

Jedi...maybe ur ride be ready by the time we have the meet on Feb 9th...if not come anyhoo!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by joerockt
Add at least another week or two to that estimate...

i don't so much mind the wait, really.

of course, i just want all of this to be over with ASAP. but if it means waiting to do a good job and possibly be able to keep the car, then i'm fine with it.

it's just that the costs add up with waiting. even though i'm only paying $10/day for the rental, it still adds up. it's been almost 2 weeks already.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
I am glad things are working out for you... my wife got hit right at her drivers side rear door and was hit so hard that her ford expedition did a 180...the guy who hit her lied to the police....and she was so stunned by the impact that we got jacked (the police took her report right after she suffered an concusion)...we had to go to court (we won the case) and get a lawyer...this is Jan 2008 and she got hit in late October 2007...her suv has still not gotten paid for and is sitting in the yard of our house in AR...Liars < *
man...i'm so sorry to hear that.

i'm glad you won the case, and hopefully, your wife is ok.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:42 AM

^ My wife still has ringing in her left ear, but otherwise she is happy and beautiful...Thanks for asking!
Old 01-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Advanced

ok I just want to verify that the roof buckel is very common on any car that has a sunroof. The only thing that will need to be replaced is the Skin on the roof, the hole for the sunroof just creats a weak spot and causes it to buckel but like the body shop said many times it will pop right back out when it is pulled on the frame machine. Its not a big deal and once it will be fixed you wont even know it was there(well you will but no one els will) good luck
Old 01-20-2008, 01:30 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
What's wrong with the RAV4?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car man. I can't believe hitting a curb did that much damage!! And props for not hitting the cat.....
Old 01-20-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 260TYPESNY
ok I just want to verify that the roof buckel is very common on any car that has a sunroof. The only thing that will need to be replaced is the Skin on the roof, the hole for the sunroof just creats a weak spot and causes it to buckel but like the body shop said many times it will pop right back out when it is pulled on the frame machine. Its not a big deal and once it will be fixed you wont even know it was there(well you will but no one els will) good luck
thanks, man.

Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
What's wrong with the RAV4?
oh, nothing really.

the car's actually pretty nice and drives well for what it is. it's functional and has a lot more space than i thought it would. and it's been very convenient since i moved to a new apartment and have been making trips to ikea over the past 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Sorry to hear about your car man. I can't believe hitting a curb did that much damage!! And props for not hitting the cat.....
thanks. yea i couldn't believe it too until i saw the curb and realized how high it was.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:54 PM
hates the winter

I'm glad everything is working out for you, and the car is being repaired. Be sure to post some pics when you get her back.

Remember it will be easier to clean up the guts than go through this again. lol j/k.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Car getting into a crash always sucks. I got in to a pretty severe accident with my TL. Bought the car on Jan 22nd 2001 and on May17th 2001 I got t boned. $8k in damage and my car was in the shop for 3 month.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:57 AM

UPDATE (if anyone is still interested)...

i called the shop today to get an update and was told that they're finished with the repairs. right now, they're just waiting on some paperwork with state farm since the costs went over the adjustor's estimate.

i'm still holding (haven't deposited) a check from state farm for ~$7300 and they told me to endorse it over to them once i take delivery of the car.

i'm a little apprehensive because they finished it pretty quickly. last time i called was 10 days ago. he did say it would take about 10-14 days.

so he said he'll call me this afternoon or tomorrow to pick up the car.

is there anything i should look for?

for the roof, other than eyeing it and running my hand across to make sure it's smooth, i was told to spray water on the roof to see if any of it leaks through the sunroof.

and open/shut the doors and sunroof to make sure they work properly.

anything else i should look for?

thanks, everyone.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I think you should head straight to a dealer and trade that car in

Especially if the roof buckled
Old 01-29-2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike
I think you should head straight to a dealer and trade that car in

Especially if the roof buckled
well, i've thought about it. but money's a little tight right now, and considering i won't be getting much for the car, especially since the shop will most likely have reported the damage/repair to carfax, there's not much i can do right now.

i've been looking at some used cars, but there's really not a lot of cars that i'd want to buy/drive.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 PM

Things I would look for are:
1. Wind Noise at the sunroof and windows at high way speeds
2. Extra noise from the road slow and highway speeds
3. Poor alignment of the steeringwheel when the front wheels are straight, while driving and sitting still
4. Poor fuel economy
5. water leaks around the windows, front glass and the dash...after taking it for TWO runs thru the automated no touch wash...
Hope that helps...praying u find nothing!!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
Things I would look for are:
1. Wind Noise at the sunroof and windows at high way speeds
2. Extra noise from the road slow and highway speeds
3. Poor alignment of the steeringwheel when the front wheels are straight, while driving and sitting still
4. Poor fuel economy
5. water leaks around the windows, front glass and the dash...after taking it for TWO runs thru the automated no touch wash...
Hope that helps...praying u find nothing!!!!
thanks.

Quick Reply: First Accident