f da poleece.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009 | 05:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Funny, I have a friend who lived in Fitchburg until 2 years ago. She didn't like it there, either.
Old 11-22-2009 | 05:55 PM
seizure force field!

Originally Posted by subinf
Where the hell did you learn that? I always challenge my tickets, and when I lose I take traffic school.
Same here.

Step 1 - Trial by written declaration.
Step 2 - Trial de novo in court.
Step 3 - Pay up and do traffic school if eligible.
Old 11-22-2009 | 06:17 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Find out what the laws are in your jurisdiction. People here are all over the place, because their laws vary from state to state.

Go to court, be honest, and just beg. You're a 20-year-old working your way through college, and can't afford the increased insurance premiums. You've learned your lesson, won't happen again.
Old 11-22-2009 | 11:10 PM
E92

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I wouldn't recommend going in there and saying, I didn't see the cop because he didn't have his lights on.
I went to court for my speeding ticket, and the kid before me showed up in a wife beater for a 75 in a 30 ticket. His excuse? "I couldn't see the cop because I have a big wing on my car" I was dying, trying not to laugh out loud when he said that
Old 11-23-2009 | 12:08 AM
Custom User Title

haha, what an assclown.
Old 11-23-2009 | 01:09 AM
S E L L

Originally Posted by TommySalami
I went to court for my speeding ticket, and the kid before me showed up in a wife beater for a 75 in a 30 ticket. His excuse? "I couldn't see the cop because I have a big wing on my car" I was dying, trying not to laugh out loud when he said that
Was it maybe this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY1PqrZMLGk
Old 11-23-2009 | 07:04 AM
Secret Agent

Another thing. Do not argue, challenge in any way, or make an excuse for why you were speeding. You were. And he knows. Accept that.

When he told me that he had me at 70 in a 55 I said "Seventy? Wow" then after a pause I looked down and said "I'm sorry, there's no excuse for that".

The right amount of a combination of politeness, respect, annoyance (with yourself), and acceptance goes a long way. If you come across as knowing that what you did was wrong and you're sorry for it and show that it was a mistake, then the case is done. No need to go to court to beat a dead horse.
Then again sometimes you get someone that just doesn't give a shit, and is going to write you a ticket no matter what you do or say. Then you're just fucked.
Old 11-23-2009 | 07:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Gnate
How do I find out about driving classes or something like that?
They don't do that in MA. Thats a CA thing.
Old 11-23-2009 | 07:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
The two ticket thing came from my father in law, a lawyer in MA a few years back....how accurate is it today? I don't know.

Good luck
Inaccurate today. And for the last 22 years at least. I seem to get one every few years, and have been driving in MA for 23 years now.

It used to be zero "freebies" until about 10 years ago, now it is one. But even that one is dependent on your insurance company. They all get reported, but your insurance company is allowed to forgive one ticket.
Old 11-23-2009 | 08:44 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by TzarChasm
Inaccurate today. And for the last 22 years at least. I seem to get one every few years, and have been driving in MA for 23 years now.

It used to be zero "freebies" until about 10 years ago, now it is one. But even that one is dependent on your insurance company. They all get reported, but your insurance company is allowed to forgive one ticket.
As I said, I didn't know how accurate it was. I do know that I have gotten many tickets (in other States granted) and never had an insurance increased.

I got pulled over in Arlington, VA doing 49 on a 35. Went to court and they reduced it to 44. Never got reported
I also got pulled over "by a plane" in PA or OH, I don't remember. Well, a trooper was pulling cars over, being clocked by a plane. 84 on a 65. I just paid the ticked, and despite being 19 over it never affected me.

I think that I have gotten lucky.....
Old 11-23-2009 | 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

It can't hurt to go to court to try and get your fine reduced, but admit you were speeding, trying to fight on technicality of the cop not having lights on will get you nowhere
Old 11-23-2009 | 10:38 AM
Custom User Title

Yeah my plan is to go there and acknowledge what I did was wrong, i'll just ask for some leniency since I have been driving for 3 years now and haven't had any incidents, explain how I made a stupid mistake that I won't make again.
Old 11-23-2009 | 02:35 PM
all work and no play

Tzar is right, youre first ticket ever doesnt effect you, but any after that will always hit you with a surcharge. the last ticket I got was 10 years ago in upstate NY and thankfully that one never made it onto my driving record.

I wouldnt get your hopes up about the cop not showing up, in Ma the officer himself isnt present. Every city or town, or state pd barracks has a prosecutor, and when you dispute a ticket that city, or town has a certain day that all of their tickets are addressed. You meet with a magistrate, and the prosecutor on behalf of the officer.

FYI, save yourself a trip back to your car when you go to court....you cant bring a cell phone into the building
Old 11-23-2009 | 04:55 PM
Custom User Title

Thanks for the tip, Walsh!
Old 11-23-2009 | 05:23 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
As I said, I didn't know how accurate it was. I do know that I have gotten many tickets (in other States granted) and never had an insurance increased.

I got pulled over in Arlington, VA doing 49 on a 35. Went to court and they reduced it to 44. Never got reported
I also got pulled over "by a plane" in PA or OH, I don't remember. Well, a trooper was pulling cars over, being clocked by a plane. 84 on a 65. I just paid the ticked, and despite being 19 over it never affected me.

I think that I have gotten lucky.....
My guess would be Ohio. Our troopers love doing that shit. Stand on the side of highway and point over car after car.
Old 11-23-2009 | 08:11 PM
Safety Car

lol same thing happened to me... sort of. I got pulled over for committing the crime of pulling into a grocery story parking lot at 2 AM.... so I can turn around and go back down the road the opposite way. The cop was following me for a couple blocks without any of his lights on. I just remember just as I was pulling into the parking lot, alluva sudden blue and red lights all around me

He didn't give me a ticket or anything, but still... wtf? If I did a u-turn in the middle of the road I'm sure I would have been handed a ticket..