Drove a TL, TSX and RSX-S

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 07:47 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove a TL, TSX and RSX-S

I've been lurking here for a while, and I finally decided to pull the trigger on replacing my Audi S4 with an Acura. I went into the dealer thinking I'd drive out with a TL, but I also drove the TSX and RSX-S just to be sure. I got about 200 yards in the RSX-S and that was enough. Quick car, handles well but really noisy, and not a good noisy (at least for me). I then drove the TSX. Really nice car, feels light on its feet, fairly quick in a straight line, much more fun to drive than my wife's 2003 Accord Coupe. Finally I drove the TL. Solid, fast car. Really feels planted. I did notice significant torque steer when punching it in a corner, but not enough to make me not like the car. The stereo in the TL is one of the best stock systems I've heard in a long time. However, in the end I bought the TSX because I prefered its handling, and size over the power of the TL. Another consideration was price. I'm planning on a C6 in the Spring, and the difference in price between the two is almost exactly the same as the difference between a C6 coupe and convertible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a TSX vs. TL bashing thread, both cars are great. In fact, I floated the idea of buying both past my wife, but that didn't get too far.

Anyway, this forum is a great deal of help, and I'll still be lurking here.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brett
I've been lurking here for a while, and I finally decided to pull the trigger on replacing my Audi S4 with an Acura. I went into the dealer thinking I'd drive out with a TL, but I also drove the TSX and RSX-S just to be sure. I got about 200 yards in the RSX-S and that was enough. Quick car, handles well but really noisy, and not a good noisy (at least for me). I then drove the TSX. Really nice car, feels light on its feet, fairly quick in a straight line, much more fun to drive than my wife's 2003 Accord Coupe. Finally I drove the TL. Solid, fast car. Really feels planted. I did notice significant torque steer when punching it in a corner, but not enough to make me not like the car. The stereo in the TL is one of the best stock systems I've heard in a long time. However, in the end I bought the TSX because I prefered its handling, and size over the power of the TL. Another consideration was price. I'm planning on a C6 in the Spring, and the difference in price between the two is almost exactly the same as the difference between a C6 coupe and convertible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a TSX vs. TL bashing thread, both cars are great. In fact, I floated the idea of buying both past my wife, but that didn't get too far.

Anyway, this forum is a great deal of help, and I'll still be lurking here.
As for the C6, get ready to watch your money go right out the window in the form of depreciation if you drive it much at all. Also, hopefully for your sake, they have improved the quality compared to the C5. I used to have a C5 that I had for about two years and it was in the shop for warranty work at least 6 times. Good Luck.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:39 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Wow, Lucky you. I think the new C6's are great and I wish I had one. Have you also looked at the CTS-V...those are pretty quick and have luxury too. However, I too would have bought the C6 if I wanted a two seater sports car/convertible. BTW, it'll be weird driving the really slow TSX then getting in the really fast C6
Old 10-12-2004, 09:53 AM
What's a TL?

I think the TSX is a really good choice...the car is a great alternative to the TL. I agree with you as far as the handling goes, in fact, I find the TSX to be a lot more fun to drive than the TL, and the interior is great too.

As for the C6, that car is insanely fast (huge speed improvement over C5), and just a great deal for the $$...hope you enjoy both cars.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Racer

Why would you buy a TSX for its sportiness if you are geting a vette in the spring? Wouldn't you want to have a nice luxury car for a smooth ride? When you want to go fast you'll have the Vette waiting at home.

I say, trade in the diamond on your wife's hand for a Cubic zirconia, then use that money to offset the price of the convertible.

I wasn't that impressed with the TSX when I drove it, but then again I can't afford a new C6. So you can put my constructive criticism in the Jealous department.

Good luck

-Chad
Old 10-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by SLVR04TL6PD
Why would you buy a TSX for its sportiness if you are geting a vette in the spring? Wouldn't you want to have a nice luxury car for a smooth ride? When you want to go fast you'll have the Vette waiting at home.

I say, trade in the diamond on your wife's hand for a Cubic zirconia, then use that money to offset the price of the convertible.

I wasn't that impressed with the TSX when I drove it, but then again I can't afford a new C6. So you can put my constructive criticism in the Jealous department.

Good luck

-Chad

I wouldn't do that. If you trade for a CZ, you are going to have to fork over more $$$ for the divorce hearing, and then possible lose half your stuff, (including your shiny new vette).
Old 10-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by avs007
I wouldn't do that. If you trade for a CZ, you are going to have to fork over more $$$ for the divorce hearing, and then possible lose half your stuff, (including your shiny new vette).

Good point

-Chad
Old 10-12-2004, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude - you're killin me - BUT, I (all of us here at TL.com) are happy if you're happy;

Lemme get this right:

You went from an S4 to a TSX while expectedly waiting for a C6??????????

My mind is boggled; as silver04tl says, why didn't you go for the luxury with the TL while waiting for the God-everyones-gonna-be-envious C6???

The TSX was more in the class of, say, an Rx-8, and, IMO, a WAYYYYY step down from a killer S4..

BTW, what year was your S4??? Any mods?
Old 10-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Instructor

2001 S4. 6 spd, no mods...

Just so we are clear, I bought the TSX for everyday transportation and I'm buying a C6 in the Spring in addition to the TSX. No, the TSX is no S4, but frankly, neither is the TL. I just needed something to get around in, and I do have a budget. In the end I'd rather buy a convertible C6 and a TSX, than a coupe C6 and a TL. I may break down and buy a used 911, but I'll cross that bridge once I get to it.

I would have kept the S4, but the warranty was going to expire soon, and it was in the shop on a pretty regular basis. So I decided to get rid of it. Besides being more reliable (I hope), the TSX gets better gas mileage and the insurance will be lower.

Its all about choices, this is the one I made...

Make sense?
Old 10-13-2004, 08:13 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brett
2001 S4. 6 spd, no mods...

Just so we are clear, I bought the TSX for everyday transportation and I'm buying a C6 in the Spring in addition to the TSX. No, the TSX is no S4, but frankly, neither is the TL. I just needed something to get around in, and I do have a budget. In the end I'd rather buy a convertible C6 and a TSX, than a coupe C6 and a TL. I may break down and buy a used 911, but I'll cross that bridge once I get to it.

I would have kept the S4, but the warranty was going to expire soon, and it was in the shop on a pretty regular basis. So I decided to get rid of it. Besides being more reliable (I hope), the TSX gets better gas mileage and the insurance will be lower.

Its all about choices, this is the one I made...

Make sense?
If you haven't been to it already, there is a really good Vette forum called www.corvetteforum.com that has lots of good info on all generations of Vettes. I recommend checking it out.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Brett: I really wasnt a juge TSX and really didnt like the car at all becasue my sister has a RSX and the noise factor was onething. My TL was in the shop a couple of time and they gave me a loaner TSX. All I have to say I was wrong, I have a 2001 TL and I am willing to trade my car in for a TSX. You got a great car but, what year was your Audi. I am also lookin at A4's
Old 10-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by timbrwolf9
If you haven't been to it already, there is a really good Vette forum called www.corvetteforum.com that has lots of good info on all generations of Vettes. I recommend checking it out.
Thanks. Been there. It is a great site. Another good one is http://www.digitalcorvettes.com
Old 10-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dnd2984
Brett: I really wasnt a juge TSX and really didnt like the car at all becasue my sister has a RSX and the noise factor was onething. My TL was in the shop a couple of time and they gave me a loaner TSX. All I have to say I was wrong, I have a 2001 TL and I am willing to trade my car in for a TSX. You got a great car but, what year was your Audi. I am also lookin at A4's

My 2001 S4 (B5) was in the shop a couple of times for some major problems. Nothing like a blown turbo (or two), but problems that would have cost me $500 - $1500 if the car hadn't been under warranty. However, a lot people never have problems with them, so maybe I got a bad one. Its unfortunate because I really would have considered the new S4 (B6), but for $50,000+, I didn't want to take the chance.