Drove a Scion xB all weekend- LOVED IT

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 02:48 PM
The extra b is for byobb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove a Scion xB all weekend- LOVED IT

I had to go down to DC this weekend and I ZIPCARded (self-serve rental cars) a Scion xB so I could get around town.

I should start off by saying that I was definitely NOT looking forward to driving the xB and only rented it due to availability issues. After spending the last 3 years driving a TSX I shudder at thinking about having to drive or ride in a sub 15,000 car. Not that the TSX is such hot shit or anything but the xB is a major step down in every department.

I could not have been more wrong as to how i'd feel about the car. The xB is an absolute masterpeice of dimentional engineering. The amound of head and shoulder room in the driver's seat is absurd. I am 6'1" and there was at least a foot between my head and the ceiling. The car feels huge inside and the driving position is excellent. You really feel like you're driving an SUV. Stepping out of the xB is a total mindf*ck because of how tiny it looks from the outside compared to the feeling of "massiveness" when sitting insde. I literally stood there opening and closing the door in disbelief like a child trying to see the refrigerator light turning off.

The next thing you notice stepping into the xB is the sparseness of any instrumentation. There is only one combination speedometer, tach, and fuel gage that sits about 20% off the center of the dash (closer to the driver of course). This was another feature I thought I would hate, the dreaded center mounted guages. After only a few minutes of driving I realized that it was acutally positioned really well (much better than center mounted spedometer on the MINI cooper that zipcar also rents). I soon grew to love the simplicity of the whole thing. My favorite feature was that instead of a temperature guage there is a blue temperature LED light that appears when the engine is cold and should not be over revved. I assume that a red one appears when the engine overheats. Really, that is all the information I need to know about engine temperature.

Unfortunately, the car had an AT so I couldn't really get a feel for spirited driving. The engine puts out a measly 105 hp and an equal amount of torque. However, it has no problem moving only 2400 lbs. I think the 0-60 times are supposed to be in the low 9 seconds but it didn't damper the driving experience one bit and once the xB is up to highway speeds the car can move quickly with easy (no thanks to the crap AT tranny though). I sort of feel like an idiot now for thinking that my TSX was a quick car becuase when driving around town the two feel pretty similar. The xB also handled great and I was darting around in and out of traffic like a go-cart.

Even though there is no way i'd buy an xB because of it's exterior styling, it really made me reconsider the need to drop 30 grand on an automobile. The whole experience was sort of humbling and now I feel like the only feature I really NEED on my TSX is the navigation system. I kind of "get" the whole minimalist attitude towards cars now- especially one that doesn't comprimise the fun-to-drive department.

Perhaps this feeling will fade before it's time for my next car but if I had to buy one soon I'd sure have a hard time turning down a $14,000 honda fit.

pros: interior space, driving position, handling, sound system, fuel econ (30/33), PRICE
cons: no cruise control, AT tranny at highway speeds, tiny tach likely a problem for MT drivers, tight cargo space with rear seats up and occupied.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:53 PM
givin the business

there are a few xb fans on this forum...i'm one of them. i wanted one a while back and still do, it all comes down to what the boss will allow me get
Old 01-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Nice review! I like the interiors a lot.

My mom wanted a sporty car but didnt want to pay too much. She thought the tC was too small but when she sat in it, it was love. She was ordering the thing before I mentioned she should probably test drive it. lol

If I needed a larger vehicle and didnt have my PT Id be all over the xB.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:01 PM
The extra b is for byobb

In case anyone is wondering, here's how the interior and exterior dimentions of the xB and TSX stack up. (inches)

Scion xB
Height - 64.6
Length - 155.3
Width - 66.5
Headroom (Front) -46.1
Headroom (Row 2) -45.7
Legroom (Front)- 45.3
Legroom (Row 2) - 38.0

TSX
Height- 57.3
Length -183.4
Width - 69.4
Headroom (Front)- 37.8
Headroom (Row 2) -37.3
Legroom (Front) - 42.4
Legroom (Row 2) - 34.2
Old 01-31-2006, 03:18 PM
Drifting

I'm starting to like the xB also but IMO it's really underpowered. I wish toyota would stuff the Celica's 180HP 1.8L engine in it with a 6MT.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:18 PM
Lots of JDM parts on my

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The xB is so deceptive from the outside. You wouldn't think it had the room it does. I have the 5 speed, and it still revs pretty high on the highway. It's no beast, but it gets around good enough.

I have had mine for almost 2 months and love it. (previously owned a 350z) Large aftermarket for the scions as well. I've already started moddin' mine out.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,988 Posts
yea they're not bad cars, i happened to get lucky and hang out with some of the members of the online forum scion girls.com (i think that was their name) before heading to a car show, i got to check out the tC and xB, they're pretty nice.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:41 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,956 Likes on 2,639 Posts
:ibShoofin:
Old 01-31-2006, 06:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice review...

I'm torn between the minimalist vehicles and the more "refined" ones like my CLS. I've had my cocerns about buying a $30K vehicle (first one I've bought new), verse buying some thing either cheap (new) or used...

I'll admit that I did buy my acura partly for the status it reflects, but I know that I'm "not what I drive"...

I could see myself driving an xB (i like the exterior styling). Thank god they don't offer it in AWD form (like in japan) or I really would be tempted to buy one...

edit: I didn't realize that they only weighed 2400lbs... that's a plus for me..
Old 01-31-2006, 06:18 PM
Banned

sorry...the exterior styling is just horrid....there was like 20 xbs at the latest car show, and all of us kept pondering why in the world someone would drop hella money into that shoebox car.....

sorry...but thumbs down
Old 01-31-2006, 07:28 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i bought one last october and i love it. went to home depot and carried about 500 sq ft of laminate in it no problem. just put a intake in it and love it even more

its been out for a few yrs now and i still get people coming up to me askin about it
Old 02-01-2006, 12:06 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd never buy an xB regardless of price or value...it just looks like a box on wheels. No thanks. I don't care about saving money if I have to drive a car that looks like a fucking box.

I'm looking at either a 06 Sonata GLS V6, 06 Civic LX, 06 Accord LX 4-cyl for my next car...all cost about $19-$20K OTD.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:48 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think if i were to buy a new car, at this point in my life (hell i'm only 21), it would be something along these lines. I don't need anything flashy or cool (even if i am single). i need something practical, cheap to own, cheap to run. the xB does look like a box, but i've sat in one, and it is huge inside.

I'm really looking forward to the toyota yaris, as that should start at just under 11k, but probably be similarly priced after you pay for options and stuff. and has so many crazy cubby holes and stuff. Maybe an xA, or if i find a good job after college, i might even step up to a civic or a 03' 6spCL-s, but i think of all the new cars coming out soon, i'm looking forward to seeing the yaris
Old 02-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Wan
I'd never buy an xB regardless of price or value...it just looks like a box on wheels. No thanks. I don't care about saving money if I have to drive a car that looks like a box.

Thank you. Thankfully, there are plenty of alternatives at this price point.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Wan
I'd never buy an xB regardless of price or value...it just looks like a box on wheels.
The "box on wheels" concept isn't new. It's a concept that the xB embodies quite well tho'. Heck, Scion has done a better job then the original makers of the box have (vw doesn't have a box on wheels available).

“When a box on wheels is the basic need, a box on wheels is the perfect answer.” - Heinz Nordhoff