Drove an Evo again...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 06:52 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drove an Evo again...

Same car I drove two months ago. Has 200 miles on it now. Took it for a spin with my friend who works there. Actually opened it up a little this time since it's been broken in by many drivers.
I love the turbo kick, as expected. Really like the sharp steering. I wish I could get that steering response on other cars.

But wow, such a bare-bones car inside and all the noises that come from the trans. Bleh. Totally wouldn't drop $30k for that level of quality. Maybe $22k as a second car if I already had a nice plush luxury car to pimp in.

Also the trans seemed a little odd. The clutch catches very high and it's a very soft clutch that they said they smell after EVERY test drive by every level of driver. It just sucks. And Mitsu is Hitlerific about replacing them. (NEIN!) It was also awkward to shift at times.

And let's face it the Evo has a very immature image to it and looks like a ricey base Lancer despite its actual performance. You're not going to get chicks driving that car.

If you want to pimp a "sporty" car girls will dig, and have a sub-$35k budget, you're going to look at:

G35C
350Z
s2000
RX-8
IS300
04TL
A4
9-3

I think that's all the cars in that price range that have a good level of quality, decent styling, and still perform to a degree. Let me know if I missed any.

So I think even though I enjoy the performance, I have to cross it off my list of potential next cars since I'm looking to have one nice car more than one raw performer. Sort of like back in 2001 when I bought the CLS.

A friend of mine with an 02 Vortech'd S2000 is in the same situation and came to the same conclusion. He'd sooner trade up to an 04 s2k than get the Evo, mostly because of the looks issue. The Evo isn't going cause girls to break their necks like an s2000 will.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:55 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Old 12-24-2003, 07:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The RX-8 is an ugly piece of shit and has 0 torque, the 9-3 is nice looking but a snooze mobile (210hp....wow). The TL being FWD is a big downside to that car, sorry. I think the A4 is very nice, but the power is lacking..... a chipped 1.8T isn't all that. The IS300 is ok, only special when you dump $8k into it.

Out of that list, I would consider the 350Z and S2000 (1st).

The Evo is absolutely in a class by itself, its not a luxury car....it has super car performance for $30k.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:58 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by Beltfed
The RX-8 is an ugly piece of shit and has 0 torque, the 9-3 is nice looking but a snooze mobile (210hp....wow). The TL being FWD is a big downside to that car, sorry. I think the A4 is very nice, but the power is lacking..... a chipped 1.8T isn't all that. The IS300 is ok, only special when you dump $8k into it.
I agree with all of that except that the RX-8 is ugly POS. I think it has a unique design, definitely more attractive stock than a 350Z to me, but yes it's way underpowered to be worth looking at.

I need to test drive an IS300 5speed so I can make an informed decision about it because it's been on my mind lately. I wouldn't mind picking up an 04 for like $29k with the LSD, sunroof, power seats, leather/alcantra, etc. Then later on if I want i can turbo it.

Out of that list, I would consider the 350Z and S2000 (1st).

The Evo is absolutely in a class by itself, its not a luxury car....it has super car performance for $30k.
I stay away from the G35C and 350Z because I am anti-V6. The s2000 is a sweet car but not in any way practical as an only car. I guess I could consider keeping my current beater also for the bad weather, but really I'm not in the housing situation to be having two cars.

The Evo is indeed a monster, but I don't like the feel of the trans and I don't like the exterior looks as much as I once did.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I think the A4 is very nice, but the power is lacking..... a chipped 1.8T isn't all that.

BOOOOOOOO.
Give me 4k and ill be in the mid 13s :P

But if i had to do it all over again... i would have gotten a used 330ci.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by 1killercls
I think that the 04 TL is an amazing car even if it is FWD 270 horse power is plenty for a nice luxury sedan.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:15 PM
Banned

Re: Drove an Evo again...

Originally posted by JRock
The Evo isn't going cause girls to break their necks like an s2000 will.
If i bought an Evo it wouldnt be to attract girls, it'd be to smoke the fuck outta a lot of other cars on the road.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:24 PM
Old timer

Re: Re: Drove an Evo again...

Originally posted by Katana18
If i bought an Evo it wouldnt be to attract girls, it'd be to smoke the fuck outta a lot of other cars on the road.
That's cool. That's what the car's made for.

I could do that too but I don't want a car that will egg me to race everyone around and be immature more than I already am.

I'd rather do something like get an IS300 with sport suspension, LSD, 5-speed, etc, and learn to improve my stick driving with a relatively mild power car that looks good and the ladies will like (as opposed to some likely being too embarassed to get in an Evo and also disliking the ride and noise) and down the road considering turbo'ing it when I feel like adding more power.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: Drove an Evo again...

J......Fair enough, looks are definitely a subjective thing.

I must say though, when I had the Evo, it got a ton of respect.

This is just me, but I don't really care what others think of the cars I drive. Most of the time, the people who don't like what I drive are driving cars I wouldn't take a ride around the block in.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:32 PM
Pro

BOOOOOOOO.
Give me 4k and ill be in the mid 13s

But if i had to do it all over again... i would have gotten a used 330ci.
I think you mean high 12's well....some people at least...not me yet

I agree for the most part. Except that I would totally be all over an EVO over any of those cars. I don't mind the look. I wouldn't buy it to impress people with looks. I'd just want to make them look at the ugly tail lights. Mitsu did an amazing job with the car...every aspect of performance has been adressed and done well. 290 whp with a few minor mods and a car that will rock in the winter too.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:33 PM
Old timer

I still have a yearn to get an Evo and mod it to heck. But then I realize it would be way too impractical as an only car, especially for the times when I want a plusher car (for the ladies or even just when I need a break). Maybe one day when it would be more logical for me to have two cars I can afford to do that.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
BOOOOOOOO.
Give me 4k and ill be in the mid 13s :P
What was going through your mind when you actually decided "hell yeah, an A4 1.8T it is?"

Granted, I like the A4....but you went from a 225hp BMW RWD two door to an AWD 180hp 4 door that's slower.

Don't feel too bad, I'm just busting your balls.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I still have a yearn to get an Evo and mod it to heck. But then I realize it would be way too impractical as an only car, especially for the times when I want a plusher car (for the ladies or even just when I need a break).
I agree, why do you think I got rid of it......too punishing of a ride for NY roads imo. The STi is much more forgiving and I like the power delivery better, granted it doesn't handle quite as well (but whatever, its good enough). I know you don't like the way the STi looks, but I'm a rally car whore so I'm all over it.

Ray Khan....indeed Mitsu did an awesome job with the Evo, getting the 04 Car of the Year award from Automobile Mag was well deserved.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Naw you are right. Oh and its 170hp a4

At the time i kinda just wanted to get it over with and i was sick of shopping. I didnt want a used car for 30k since i didnt want the hassle of problems. Plus the A4 isnt the fastest car around, but its very well built and the interior is comfy. Also i never had an Audi or AWD so I figured i would try it. I buy cars for the handling also. So i guess i can say speed is maybe 4th on my list of importance.

Evo, STI, RX8, and the 350z arent my cup of tea. Fun cars for sure, but i rather ride in soft leather. Yes im one of those types.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
Naw you are right. Oh and its 170hp a4

At the time i kinda just wanted to get it over with and i was sick of shopping. I didnt want a used car for 30k since i didnt want the hassle of problems. Plus the A4 isnt the fastest car around, but its very well built and the interior is comfy. Plus i never had an Audi or AWD so I figured i would try it.

Evo, STI, RX8, and the 350z arent my cup of tea. Fun cars for sure, but i rather ride in soft leather. Yes im one of those.
I hear where you a coming from, no need to justify yourself to me....your reasoning makes plenty of sense. When you have one car to drive, getting one that is not the most comfortable or practical (even though they are powerful) doesn't go over well for some people.

When did Audi go to 180hp?
Old 12-24-2003, 09:09 PM
Suzuka Master

too raw of a car. but none the less good bang for the buck
Old 12-24-2003, 09:15 PM
Old timer

Damn Belt, I didn't know you got an STi. Did you post pics anywhere? I'd like to see it!

I'm growing fond of the look of the STi once the rear wing is removed and it's dropped on sport springs:

Ala:

I just don't know if it'd be much better than the Evo as far as comfort and noise...? Plus the exhaust note is not my preference.

Have you written up a comparo between the two since you've owned both now? How long have you had the STi?
Old 12-24-2003, 09:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Damn Belt, I didn't know you got an STi. Did you post pics anywhere? I'd like to see it!

I just don't know if it'd be much better than the Evo as far as comfort and noise...? Plus the exhaust note is not my preference.

Have you written up a comparo between the two since you've owned both now? How long have you had the STi?
Yup, I put up a post awhile back when I got it. I definitely want to drop it sooner rather than later. The post was put up right when I got the car. There should be some feedback in there between the two cars. The STi is a just an easier car to live with day in and day out, the suspension isn't at harsh, the interior is nicer and more comfortable....overall it makes a big difference. I think the STi sounds great, so did the Evo.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...&highlight=sti
Old 12-24-2003, 09:27 PM
Suzuka Master

I've haven't ridden in any of the above listed cars, but....my view is, I think the styling of the Evo and Sti could be better. But then again, I also feel they are made for one thing, performance, so looks may not matter when buying these two.

Jesal, I think you made a fine choice with the A4, I love the styling of them and the interior is one of the best. Plus it's nice to try an Audi out after you've had a BMW. Like you said, it might not be fast, but it's a very eye-catching and comfortable car. I think Amir's A4 looks awesome, if it was the S4, that would be even better. And you always have a pretty good aftermarket for the Audi's, cosmetically and performance wise. The turbo gives you even more responsiveness to some of your mods and the prices are right around with the BMW aftermarket, probably even cheaper.

Beltfed, did you post pics of the M3 yet?
Old 12-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by KCPreki11

Yea he sucks at the updates.
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...3&pagenumber=1
Old 12-24-2003, 09:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Edit.......thanks Jesal

Yeah, I'm not that quick to follow up.:o
Old 12-24-2003, 09:39 PM
Old timer

Yup, I put up a post awhile back when I got it. I definitely want to drop it sooner rather than later. The post was put up right when I got the car. There should be some feedback in there between the two cars. The STi is a just an easier car to live with day in and day out, the suspension isn't at harsh, the interior is nicer and more comfortable....overall it makes a big difference. I think the STi sounds great, so did the Evo.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...&highlight=sti
Thanks for the link, just read through it. Are they still asking MSRP for the STi these days? I heard there were quite a few on the lot in the tri-state area.

How would you compare the transmissions between the Evo and the STi? Clutch feel, shifter feel, ease of shifting and downshifting, etc.

I'm not really sure how to get a test drive in an STi since I run into that crap where the dealerships don't have any on the lot or if they do they won't allow test drives or something. Although that was a couple months ago when I heard that; I will have to check again now.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

What mods have you picked up for it all? What has been put on so far?
Old 12-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Thanks for the link, just read through it. Are they still asking MSRP for the STi these days? I heard there were quite a few on the lot in the tri-state area.

How would you compare the transmissions between the Evo and the STi? Clutch feel, shifter feel, ease of shifting and downshifting, etc.

I'm not really sure how to get a test drive in an STi since I run into that crap where the dealerships don't have any on the lot or if they do they won't allow test drives or something. Although that was a couple months ago when I heard that; I will have to check again now.
I paid invoice for my car, so I'm sure you can get one for that without too much trouble. In my neck of the woods, there are quite a number to choose from. Without a doubt, I prefer the STi clutch/shifter to the Evo's....the clutch is stiffer and the tranny is smoother (prefer the steering wheel also, its thicker)..... The Evos gears are known to get more notchy as more miles are put on the car.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:45 PM
Old timer

Cool. How does gas mileage compare? And I assume yours already has the reflashed ECU to correct the knock detection issue or whatever it was...?

Btw, just peeped the M3 pics... I'm surprised how spartan the interior looks in the one pic that shows it from the passenger side window angle. Wow. I was under the impression it was more plush but I guess I'm confusing BMW with Benz or something.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

What mods have you picked up for it all? What has been put on so far?
Well, I had coilovers but sold them since I didn't feel like dumping $1200 + install into a leased car. I do have an exhaust though, which will be going on soon (have just been very busy the last few months). Not to mention, there is a problem with the driver side rear brakes....haven't even had a chance to take care of that. The car has literally 250 miles on it, pathetic.

I do have the painted reflectors and silver visions in though, hey its something.

I'm staying away from any power mods, since they don't really do shit anyway.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Cool. How does gas mileage compare? And I assume yours already has the reflashed ECU to correct the knock detection issue or whatever it was...?

Btw, just peeped the M3 pics... I'm surprised how spartan the interior looks in the one pic that shows it from the passenger side window angle. Wow. I was under the impression it was more plush but I guess I'm confusing BMW with Benz or something.
The M3 gut in person, looks much better than the photo....the dash does look a tad simple without Nav. Not a big deal to me though, it has almost every luxury feature one could get in a luxury coupe. Hey look at the new 5 series, the interior is very simple looking.

Even with the higher liter engine, the STi gets better gas mileage. Every person I know has commented on it being better and they are surprised as well. The Evo definitely liked to go through gas.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:54 PM
Old timer

Any other comments you can think of comparing the Evo and STi? Everything so far has been very good to know!

Also, what sort of tires are you (did you) replace the stock summer tires with to be able to drive it all year? And how have they performed?
Old 12-24-2003, 10:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Should've leased the Sti and bought the M3.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Should've leased the Sti and bought the M3.
The only way to acquire the STi is buying it, the lease just makes no sense (no program at all, residual ok not great). Seriously, when getting the car for invoice and a 3.79 rate....the finance is cheaper than leasing it.

On the other hand, the M3 had a descent lease rate (not great though, was .0023 which is 5.52%). Combine that with a fantastic residual, 61% for my term.....it was worth leasing. Also, the M3 is in its final stage. For me, I just felt better about leasing it.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Any other comments you can think of comparing the Evo and STi? Everything so far has been very good to know!

Also, what sort of tires are you (did you) replace the stock summer tires with to be able to drive it all year? And how have they performed?
Well, the Sti's paint is better than the Evo's....which is typical Mitsu garbage. Interior hands down goes to the STi. The Recaros in the Evo are more supportive than the STi, but the STi's are more comfortable for daily driving. I prefer the STis styling at this point to the Evo, but the front mount intercooler on the Evo looks awesome). I also prefer the oem BBS wheels on the STi vs. the crappy Enkei's the Evo comes with.

I haven't bought tires yet but am planning on it, haven't had to drive the car in snow yet. Will probably go with Blizzaks or something of the sort, been lazy about it (I hate buying tires).
Old 12-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Suzuka Master

How does this ".0023 = 5.52%" work?
Old 12-24-2003, 10:52 PM
Old timer

first number is Money Factor. The MF is generally based on what the Buy Rate is for the dealership. They may add a small percentage on to it to make a slight profit off the lease. Generally this is normal leasing practice. Example. Say their Buy Rate is 2.15 (aka .00215). They give you an MF of 2.3 (aka .0023). Thus they make maybe one percent on the deal.

second number is what that MF equates to as an interest rate.

That's a pretty decent MF, and .61 is a strong residual!

I believe the 04TL navi runs around a .57-.59 residual, depending on term.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Besides what Jrock said.....to put it in Laymen's terms .0023 x 2400 = 5.52%
Old 12-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why isn't the CL on that list?
Old 12-25-2003, 12:05 AM
Old timer

Pick one or more of the following:

I've already owned one.
It's been discontinued.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:19 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pick one or more of the following:

I've already owned one.
It's been discontinued.
It wasn't good enough to get a used one again?
Old 12-25-2003, 12:21 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

EVO vs. STI Pick the lesser of 2 evils.

Only factors: availability and engine. I see more EVOs available at dealers, I'd take the 4g63 for the long term.

A car girls will dig? Sounds like BMW owners (sorry Beltfed, Jesal ).
Old 12-25-2003, 12:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Bluto
Only factors: availability and engine. I see more EVOs available at dealers, I'd take the 4g63 for the long term.

A car girls will dig? Sounds like BMW owners (sorry Beltfed, Jesal ).
Yeah, but quite possibly the rest of the car is going to fall apart in the short term. Subaru quality is just better than Mitsubishi, I said that while I had the Evo and I'm saying it now that I don't.

No offense taken, all I know is that I don't buy cars based on what dumb ass bimbos think is nice. They don't like my car, fucking walk.

When I had the Viper, the interior was about as bad as you could get in a new car.......chicks were all over that car. Women only care if they know the car is expensive, because then they just invision nice dinners, gifts, vacations, etc on your behalf.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
gold digging bitches.

Quick Reply: Drove an Evo again...