Don't street race in cali....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:01 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't street race in cali....

Originally Posted by www.autoblog.com

The state of California has taken a hard line against illegal street racing, the type of which has on occasion led to the death of innocent pedestrians and the racers themselves. They're employing a new deterrent to make these illegal racers think twice about competing on public roads – crushing the impounded cars of those caught street racing. This Fox News video clip shows a local reporter present at the inaugural crush who appears a little too excited about the event compared to the disembodied anchorman whose voiceover we hear in the backgroiund. The tuned Honda Civic hatch is flattened quickly inside the crusher's jaws, the extreme pressure popping out its windows like eyeballs and some of the hatch's contents ejecting out the back like vomit. Fortunately, it looks like the aftermarket rims may have survived. The Ron Burgandy wannabe behind the desk says it best at the end exclaiming, "Half the guys in the studio are crying at what you just showed us."
Old 06-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
this will help keep those little ricer bastards from killing people...
Old 06-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Drifting

edit: the cars are only crushed if they have stolen parts on them
Old 06-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what happens if the car is a rental? those are the only cars i've ever taken
Old 06-21-2007, 02:07 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by SSMTL01
edit: the cars are only crushed if they have stolen parts on them
As an owner (you could also say victim) of an Integra, all I have to say is fuck thieves.

I couldn't resist... sorry that's not all I have to say.

If you look at the story on Autoblog, the headline is:

"Paul Walker weeps: California turns to crushing street racers"

Old 06-21-2007, 02:49 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Old 06-21-2007, 03:09 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
good, less ricers
Old 06-21-2007, 05:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Unless it is a Yugo or Trabant, I cannot justify any car being purposely destroyed. Crushing it soley because its stolen (or contains stolen parts) is ridiculous.

Does the justice department burn currency just because it was found to be stolen? (rhetorical question)

Thieves could care less if the govt repossesses and then destroys their stolen car (or car with stolen parts). They will just steal another car.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Drifting

^ yes but if there is a weakened market of people to BUY stolen parts because they are worried about their cars being crushed it could help
Old 06-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Senior Moderator

I think what your are misconstrueing as a weakened market is likely a market migration (of sorts), not unlike HID theft issue shifting from the NYC area to Miami/Chicago/San Fran.

That said, this has more to do with curbing illegal street racing than than auto theft.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:59 AM
lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AutoBlog.com

Street-racing being driven from misdemeanor to felony

Posted Apr 15th 2006 11:02AM by Joel Arellano
Filed under: Trends, Etc., Government/Legal
John Benoit, Palm Desert representative to the California State Assembly, is reintroducing an amended version of AB 2190 this year. The bill addresses illegal street-racing and would increase penalties for street-racers, including a four to ten year prison sentence if someone is killed by the activity. According to the DMV, street-racing has resulted in more than 40 deaths since 2001, while arrests of street-racers has increased by nine percent since 2004.

Reasons why people street-race, states CHP Sergeant Matt Boothe, range from younger drivers possessing 'invincibility complexes' to the availability of low-cost small, high-performance vehicles like modified Acuras.

Other laws in California dealing with the issue allow Los Angeles County police officers to confiscate and destroy such vehicles.

[Source: Whittier Daily News]
I'd be more worried about a felony and prison than getting my car crushed...
(notice how they single out the Integra?)
Old 06-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Senior Moderator

I have NO PROBLEM with it being classified as a felony with more serious criminal ramifications. But I do think they are overplaying the street racing angle as it relates to fatalities (at least in this case).

Although 40 deaths since 2001 is still tragic, Cali has had 6,616 DUI related fatalities in the same timeframe.

I do not condone street racing but, I am very critical and suspicious of the intentions and efforts of police departments and their political overlords.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Just dial 1911

Reasons why people street-race, states CHP Sergeant Matt Boothe, range from younger drivers possessing 'invincibility complexes' to the availability of low-cost small, high-performance vehicles like modified Acuras.
Wonderful.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Race Director

RIALTO, Calif. - Charles Hoang winced when the whoosh went out of the tires. Daniel Maldonado took pictures with a digital camera as glass exploded and rained down to the ground.

The cars the teens had so meticulously souped up and tricked out were crushed Wednesday as part of a crackdown on illegal street racing in Southern California.

"That's my heart, my dream," said Hoang, 18, of Chino, who was surrounded by friends as his 1998 Acura Integra was put into a compactor. "That's my girlfriend, the love of my life. The cops can crush my car, but they can't crush my memories."

Authorities destroyed six vehicles Wednesday at an auto graveyard, hoping would-be racers think again after looking at the mashed machines. Illegal street racing is responsible for or suspected in 13 deaths in Southern California since March.

The thrill-seeking, adrenaline-pumping activity is rampant in Riverside and San Bernardino counties east of Los Angeles where rows of tract homes line wide streets that attract racers.

Nearly 1,000 people — drivers and spectators — have been arrested for investigation of street racing activities over the past two years in San Bernardino County alone. Police need a court order to destroy the cars. They must prove that the serial or identification numbers on a vehicle or its parts are removed, altered or destroyed.

Police said they have managed to reduce illegal racing and related fatal collisions, but know the underground hobby still thrives.

"We are making a dent," said Ontario police Cpl. Jeff Higbee. "But it's summertime and ... we expect to see more activity."

350-horsepower engine
Hoang said he was caught late last year racing his prized car, on which he spent at least $10,000 to get into top shape. The 350-horsepower engine topped out at 160 mph, Hoang said, swearing it could beat a Corvette or even a Ferrari.

When police popped open the hood, Hoang said, they found a stolen transmission. Hoang flashed a receipt for the transmission he bought from his father who runs an auto shop and doubted the item was hot.

"Everything on that car was practically brand new," Hoang said as he watched his car get moved to auto death row. "They should take out the stuff that matters, auction it off, and give the money to charity."

Because racers put heavy stress on their vehicles, they often burn out or blow up parts. Higbee said the need for the expensive parts has created a "theft mill" where additional cars — usually Hondas or Acuras — are stolen and stripped of the necessary replacements.

Most of the cars police examine are illegally modified. Sergio Zavala, 18, was pulled over in his 1993 yellow Honda Civic for a broken tail light in December. He had purchased a B-20 Vtech engine with a double-overhead cam a couple months before, and after a police investigation, was told it was stolen.

Zavala, who admits he has been involved in street racing, estimates he and his mother spent about $10,000 on improvements to his car.

'Where all my time and money went'
After watching his Civic demolished, Zavala is left without a car as he plans to attend a fire academy in the fall.

"It's heartbreaking to see this," said Zavala, who graduated from high school last year. "This is where all my time and money went."

Maldonado also said he put plenty of time and effort working on his 1992 black Honda Civic. He was stopped in November by police in what Higbee described as an area where racers gather.

The 18-year-old mechanic said a vehicle identification sticker apparently fell off and without it, police suspected some of the parts were stolen. Maldonado stood several feet away from his car as it was pounded into a heap of metal.
Maldonado said he has taken the advice of police by racing legally on one of several race courses around Southern California. For the money spent in fines and other penalties — on average about $5,000 for illegally modified cars — Higbee said street racers could compete about 250 times a year at a legitimate track.

"If you have to race, take it to a legal venue," Higbee said. "But as long as they keep racing illegally, we keep crushing their cars."

All three men who saw their vehicles destroyed said they believe illegal street racing will continue to prosper across the region.

"It will never go away," Maldonado said. "If it's in your heart, you will continue to do it until you can't anymore."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19339955/

What is with this article? It is trying to get you to feel bad for these poor kids that lost all there money in those cars. WTF? Why in the hell would anyone feel bad for them? So what if they spent all there money on the cars they shouldnt have been street racing.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackruner228
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19339955/

What is with this article? It is trying to get you to feel bad for these poor kids that lost all there money in those cars. WTF? Why in the hell would anyone feel bad for them? So what if they spent all there money on the cars they shouldnt have been street racing.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator

I do not feel bad for the illegal racers. But I also suspect the police are on a power trip.

"Everything on that car was practically brand new," Hoang said as he watched his car get moved to auto death row. "They should take out the stuff that matters, auction it off, and give the money to charity."
^^^ He does not understand that cops and pols do NOT give a damn about charity.....aside from the PBA maybe.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:49 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
They've had the "We catch you racing, we'll crush your car" thing here in Ontario for a few years now...

I haven't heard about very many cars being crushed, but I'm pretty sure it's still in effect...

Whatever works I guess...
Old 06-21-2007, 04:08 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
RIALTO, Calif. - Charles Hoang winced when the whoosh went out of the tires. Daniel Maldonado took pictures with a digital camera as glass exploded and rained down to the ground.

The cars the teens had so meticulously souped up and tricked out were crushed Wednesday as part of a crackdown on illegal street racing in Southern California.

"That's my heart, my dream," said Hoang, 18, of Chino, who was surrounded by friends as his 1998 Acura Integra was put into a compactor. "That's my girlfriend, the love of my life. The cops can crush my car, but they can't crush my memories."

Authorities destroyed six vehicles Wednesday at an auto graveyard, hoping would-be racers think again after looking at the mashed machines. Illegal street racing is responsible for or suspected in 13 deaths in Southern California since March.

The thrill-seeking, adrenaline-pumping activity is rampant in Riverside and San Bernardino counties east of Los Angeles where rows of tract homes line wide streets that attract racers.

Nearly 1,000 people — drivers and spectators — have been arrested for investigation of street racing activities over the past two years in San Bernardino County alone. Police need a court order to destroy the cars. They must prove that the serial or identification numbers on a vehicle or its parts are removed, altered or destroyed.

Police said they have managed to reduce illegal racing and related fatal collisions, but know the underground hobby still thrives.

"We are making a dent," said Ontario police Cpl. Jeff Higbee. "But it's summertime and ... we expect to see more activity."

350-horsepower engine
Hoang said he was caught late last year racing his prized car, on which he spent at least $10,000 to get into top shape. The 350-horsepower engine topped out at 160 mph, Hoang said, swearing it could beat a Corvette or even a Ferrari.

When police popped open the hood, Hoang said, they found a stolen transmission. Hoang flashed a receipt for the transmission he bought from his father who runs an auto shop and doubted the item was hot.

Because racers put heavy stress on their vehicles, they often burn out or blow up parts. Higbee said the need for the expensive parts has created a "theft mill" where additional cars — usually Hondas or Acuras — are stolen and stripped of the necessary replacements.

Most of the cars police examine are illegally modified. Sergio Zavala, 18, was pulled over in his 1993 yellow Honda Civic for a broken tail light in December. He had purchased a B-20 Vtech engine with a double-overhead cam a couple months before, and after a police investigation, was told it was stolen.

Zavala, who admits he has been involved in street racing, estimates he and his mother spent about $10,000 on improvements to his car.

'Where all my time and money went'
After watching his Civic demolished, Zavala is left without a car as he plans to attend a fire academy in the fall.

"It's heartbreaking to see this," said Zavala, who graduated from high school last year. "This is where all my time and money went."

Maldonado also said he put plenty of time and effort working on his 1992 black Honda Civic. He was stopped in November by police in what Higbee described as an area where racers gather.

The 18-year-old mechanic said a vehicle identification sticker apparently fell off and without it, police suspected some of the parts were stolen. Maldonado stood several feet away from his car as it was pounded into a heap of metal.
Maldonado said he has taken the advice of police by racing legally on one of several race courses around Southern California. For the money spent in fines and other penalties — on average about $5,000 for illegally modified cars — Higbee said street racers could compete about 250 times a year at a legitimate track.

"If you have to race, take it to a legal venue," Higbee said. "But as long as they keep racing illegally, we keep crushing their cars."

All three men who saw their vehicles destroyed said they believe illegal street racing will continue to prosper across the region.

"It will never go away," Maldonado said. "If it's in your heart, you will continue to do it until you can't anymore."
This is what's wrong here. Irresponsible parents buy their kids Civics and give them money to burn on their cars. Then when they get caught street racing, get a speeding ticket, wreck the car or hurt someone, their parents pay all the expenses for them. That's why these kids never learn, their parents never give them a chance to do it the hard way.

If there were road courses in the area I would gladly attend them. But of course they're mostly in So-Cal or Nor-Nor-Cal. I purposely bought my own car and pay for all expenses, down to the last cent by myself, so that I can do whatever the hell I want to it without my parents interfering. And I've yet to get a ticket for a moving violation and I doubt I ever will for a very very long time...

Another thing the government fails to do is actively try to foil car theft. No one has been seriously injured or killed when their car was stolen but it runs rampant and the police do NOTHING to help you, and its impossible for the police to catch the thief in the act unless they're actively staking out a decoy car. There must be hundreds of thousands of dollars wasted every year from vehicle-related thefts. People have to find other means of transportation, spend time and money to replace their parts, etc.

The punishment for auto theft is too lenient. If a thief is determined they'll definitely risk 2 weeks jail time or even just a slap on the wrist for stealing an Integra Type-R to strip it for $8,000+ worth in parts. Wouldn't you if you were a thief? I see so many salvaged and stripped ITRs and it just makes me shake my head.

Thieves don't get discouraged easily. And if they do, they get pissed off and vandalize your car, or even worse, burn it to the ground. My brother's neighbor got his Civic stolen while it was in the garage. And I've heard stories where thieves move parked cars to reach an ITR that was previously blocked off.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:30 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
ouch...
Old 06-21-2007, 06:40 PM

good to see this. lots of innocent people are getting hurt for cheap thrills.

take it to the track.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
thread title should be changed..

"Don't street race in ANY PUBLIC ROADS"
Old 06-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by minkl81
thread title should be changed..

"Don't street race in ANY PUBLIC ROADS"
x2
Old 06-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
hmmm... so the kid in the integra claims he can beat ferrari?? I would like to see that...
Old 06-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Read Matt. 24 3-14

I was gonna post this too, I watched a clip that said their doing it other than the stolen engine/trannys was because 13 people have died this year and only 2 of those were the drivers, the other 11 deaths were passengers or pedestrians thats sad
Old 06-24-2007, 07:43 AM
Terigan...

Originally Posted by F23A4
I have NO PROBLEM with it being classified as a felony with more serious criminal ramifications. But I do think they are overplaying the street racing angle as it relates to fatalities (at least in this case).

Although 40 deaths since 2001 is still tragic, Cali has had 6,616 DUI related fatalities in the same timeframe.

I do not condone street racing but, I am very critical and suspicious of the intentions and efforts of police departments and their political overlords.
I couldn't agree more...

I'd like to see them put these numbers against other fatality statistics and then tell me that the amount of time/effort/money they place into stopping street racing is providing the best return.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Angry More bad news in Ca.

The CHP and Local Police just got a 4 Million dollar funding to hire special officers to train in Detecting Speed Modified Cars and to train ALL Officers in what modified cars look, sound and act like.

If they see its dropped (headlights must be min. 22 inch above the road),
or trick rims, the big exhaust outlet, wings, etc, they will assume you have more going on under the hood and maybe its illegal or stolen stuff

They will know exactly what parts are legal and you had better have the documentation to prove everything on the engine has a CARB exemption!

If ever stopped and casually asked " Oh is this thing fast?"
NO Its totally stock-it had that when I bought it- Sir!

As for the crushing- you had to have been convicted of street racing in the past, which included the provision you not do it again. So the 2nd time- they collect the car.
Some towns also passed emergency rules: If you are TICKETED for being in, or even watching a street race, the 2nd time they see you (yes they go undercover with video cameras) they dont even have to ticket you again-

Say its Saturday night and the see a repeat offender- get on tape- go back to the station and fill out the CAR SEIZURE form- call the Tow Truck, who shows up in the early hours of Sunday morning to take your car.
Cost about $1000 to get car back ...and thats just for ~being there~ after caught once! No court date= nothing- we got it on tape and we got your car!

For road race track days you have Buttonwillow to the South and Laguna Seca, Infineon/Sears Point and Thunderhill in the north- not even counting the Far North where you can go to Reno-Fernley and they have every type of racing surface!

For drag racing in the North there is Sacramento and at Infineon too
There are many places, like stadium parking lots, that are legally transformed into tempoary tracks- with safety equipment AND Police approval.
Cops race too- take one on at the track!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Senior Moderator

More Information

a supercharged tail pipe

People have been killed during the races, and the illegally altered engines spew out about 25 times the normal emissions.
Enter, stage right: The Global Warming angle.