Does it irritate you when you see kids driving better cars than you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 04:24 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Beaters build character...it's a fact.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's like asking whether you get jealous when you see a guy uglier than you with a hotter girlfriend...
Old 10-07-2009, 12:55 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know where he is coming from but that doesn't mean all these "punk ass kids" don't deserve what they drive. My brother worked since the age of 13 and 6 years and 4 cars later bought an 06 evo mr. I know he deserves every horsepower in that car.

And I don't agree with some of what you guys are saying about the whole "street racing" thing. Im not condoning weaving in and out of traffic but i dont get to drive my bros evo a lot so when i do, its pretty special. So I think its perfectly normal to launch an evo when the light goes green and embarrass some big hungry V8 in a drag. Why the hell not?? If you don't, you are wasting some incredible brainpower. Im not talking about yours, or mine, but the Asian guy who came up with the tech in a 4g63. Just my two cents....
Old 10-07-2009, 01:44 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by WetPavement
I know where he is coming from but that doesn't mean all these "punk ass kids" don't deserve what they drive. My brother worked since the age of 13 and 6 years and 4 cars later bought an 06 evo mr. I know he deserves every horsepower in that car.

And I don't agree with some of what you guys are saying about the whole "street racing" thing. Im not condoning weaving in and out of traffic but i dont get to drive my bros evo a lot so when i do, its pretty special. So I think its perfectly normal to launch an evo when the light goes green and embarrass some big hungry V8 in a drag. Why the hell not?? If you don't, you are wasting some incredible brainpower. Im not talking about yours, or mine, but the Asian guy who came up with the tech in a 4g63. Just my two cents....

I don't give a shit if you sucked dick for crack and then sold it to buy your cars.... if you think street racing is okay you probably just sucked dick for crack, period. I was taken aback the most by your "wasting some incredible brainpower" comment until I noticed you admitted it wasn't yours. I'll admit I'm up for a street race once in a while (I'm talking enough to count on only two hands) but only when it's actually organized and not out of the blue at a stoplight where most likely there are other cars around.

Wait until you get pulled over for street racing and get stuck with SR22 insurance for a few years. You'll be crying and won't be able to afford shit if you actually pay your own insurance. I speak from experience, not because it happened to me but because my friend tried to get a sportbike and insurance for one year cost more than the bike itself.

Good for your brother.... but grow up before the cops make you. If my car got impounded because my little brother tried to think he was a bad ass trying to race on the street, I would kick him in the head.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 669 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by WetPavement

im amazed everyday hows theres so many stupid people in this world.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
As far as I know there is nothing illegal about making a full-on launch from a red light so long as you only accelerate to the speed limit.....
Old 10-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by Mokos23
i'm only annoyed when i see 16 yr old kids complaining they have to drive a new car their parents bought them and it's only a civic or versa. when i was 16 i got a hand me down 8 yr old 1988 accord with over 100,000 miles on it.
Hell I'd rather have the '88 Accord than a Civic
Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
As far as I know there is nothing illegal about making a full-on launch from a red light so long as you only accelerate to the speed limit.....
It's called Exhibition of Speed, and it's a pretty nice ticket.

Which leads to a funny story:

Back in HS, we were coming back from a band fundraiser (yes, we were in band. The band camp stories will have to wait), and my friend was throwing cold tacos at our friend behind us. You know, stupid shit. Wasn't hitting the car, just throwing it in front like some sort of smoke bomb or something. (This was about 1:30am, roads deserted)

Well, we had been talking shit about each other's cars the whole year. He had a 69 Cobra Jet and I had a 76 Elky. So, we get up to a light and he wants to race. He's been wanting to race for awhile. Me, even at 16, wasn't too keen on doing this kind of thing on the street. But, I thought about going along with it. Out of the corner of my eye I see the outline of a light bar in my rear-view. Uh-oh.

He's revving and yelling, so there's no way to warn him. So I tell my friend, 'Hey Matt, watch this.' Light turns green, he proceeds to smoke the ever-loving shit out of his tires trying to launch. Smoke outside the car, smoke inside the car, smoke in the trees, smoke under the car, smoke obscuring the traffic lights. He finally starts to pull away slowly, and you see this hazy blue light fill the world. Meanwhile, the whole time I had two feet planted on the oversized brake pedal of the Elky. What seemed like ten minutes later, I finally start to move and see him pulled over next to the elementary school. Since I never moved, it wasn't racing. But he did get busted for EofS, and it was probably about a $300 ticket.

Best of all, my best friend (in the Plum Crazy 70 Challenger T/A) starts doing laps around where he's pulled over trying to see what's going on. Cop tells Cobra Jet friend, 'If your pal in the purple car comes by here one more time, I'm arresting both of you.'
Old 10-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

They can get you for wreckless driving also.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 AM

Do you know this from experience?

I would love to see someone roll up next to a cop car at a red light, rev to 4,000 rpm, sidestep the clutch when the light turns green and slow down once they get to the speed limit.

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
It's called Exhibition of Speed, and it's a pretty nice ticket.

Which leads to a funny story:

Back in HS, we were coming back from a band fundraiser (yes, we were in band. The band camp stories will have to wait), and my friend was throwing cold tacos at our friend behind us. You know, stupid shit. Wasn't hitting the car, just throwing it in front like some sort of smoke bomb or something. (This was about 1:30am, roads deserted)

Well, we had been talking shit about each other's cars the whole year. He had a 69 Cobra Jet and I had a 76 Elky. So, we get up to a light and he wants to race. He's been wanting to race for awhile. Me, even at 16, wasn't too keen on doing this kind of thing on the street. But, I thought about going along with it. Out of the corner of my eye I see the outline of a light bar in my rear-view. Uh-oh.

He's revving and yelling, so there's no way to warn him. So I tell my friend, 'Hey Matt, watch this.' Light turns green, he proceeds to smoke the ever-loving shit out of his tires trying to launch. Smoke outside the car, smoke inside the car, smoke in the trees, smoke under the car, smoke obscuring the traffic lights. He finally starts to pull away slowly, and you see this hazy blue light fill the world. Meanwhile, the whole time I had two feet planted on the oversized brake pedal of the Elky. What seemed like ten minutes later, I finally start to move and see him pulled over next to the elementary school. Since I never moved, it wasn't racing. But he did get busted for EofS, and it was probably about a $300 ticket.

Best of all, my best friend (in the Plum Crazy 70 Challenger T/A) starts doing laps around where he's pulled over trying to see what's going on. Cop tells Cobra Jet friend, 'If your pal in the purple car comes by here one more time, I'm arresting both of you.'
Moral of the story? Chevrolet FTMFW!!!!!!!

joking of course, but funny story. I try to avoid street encounters as much as possible.... never know if its a seized car from a street race used for undercover. Damn, you guys had some pretty cool cars for high school though
Old 10-07-2009, 10:17 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to mention if they can prove that you are street racing don't they impound and crush your car in California? God forbid they convict you of reckless driving, which if anything goes wrong could very easily happen, that's not a minor offense, it will haunt you for years.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:19 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Hell I'd rather have the '88 Accord than a Civic
I like my civic! It's more fun to drive then my Infiniti was.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:22 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
The exhibition of speed is a bullshit ticket. I understand why it is there but god that is one of the more abused reasons to stop someone.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by iTimmy
Not to mention if they can prove that you are street racing don't they impound and crush your car in California? God forbid they convict you of reckless driving, which if anything goes wrong could very easily happen, that's not a minor offense, it will haunt you for years.
I'm pretty sure, yes they can. I think its more harsh on imports like older Civics and Integras though. Weak... and I think the police budget could go towards more useful things instead of popping loud/slammed Hondas, but whatever.

Originally Posted by iTimmy
I like my civic! It's more fun to drive then my Infiniti was.
Yeah, a Civic Si is a blast to drive, but not your run-of-the-mill automatic Civic. I'm not complaining since I could have ended up in a total bucket, and in a way I did... ended up driving an Integra with abysmal paint but loved it. My mom's 1997 Civic EX is the typical reliable high mileage Honda beater, and it really has no balls whatsoever. I think if I started my car at a standstill in 4th gear and raced it to 80, I would win.

Originally Posted by subinf
The exhibition of speed is a bullshit ticket. I understand why it is there but god that is one of the more abused reasons to stop someone.

as much as I like living here, the more I learn about California's specific laws, the more I go State Ref is a lame excuse to bring in more revenue for the state. I'll end it there to prevent this from becoming an R&P thread.

I had a dumb exhibition of speed ticket a while back cause I was bored and nothing to do on a Friday night. The officer was a real nice guy though, liked my car and everything and my attitude so he literally crossed off Reckless Driving and put EoS. I dodged a bullet but I'm still paying for it regardless, and now I'm weary cause I know if a cop pulls me over and sees my record, I may not be so lucky.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:43 AM
One on the right for me

I was stopped in my mustang for exhibition of speed, which at the time was impossible b/c I had a problem with my carburetor (it would catch on fire with any revs higher than idle). Cop told me I lit up the road and he had a hard time seeing me because of the smoke. When I showed him his exact words were "I know, I just wanted to see your car." Asshole
Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by subinf
I was stopped in my mustang for exhibition of speed, which at the time was impossible b/c I had a problem with my carburetor (it would catch on fire with any revs higher than idle). Cop told me I lit up the road and he had a hard time seeing me because of the smoke. When I showed him his exact words were "I know, I just wanted to see your car." Asshole
I'm sorry, but that's pretty funny

It just reminds me of stories of guys with nice cars, like this case of a guy with an R8 or Gallardo or some other who was going 20 over the speed limit. Cop ended up pulling him over, and asking for him to pop the hood so he could take pics, then he sent the guy on his way with a warning
Old 10-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
May want to double check your knowledge. In addition to the two (2) tickets already mentioned by others you can also get pulled over for an "Unsafe Start". Now, typically I've only seen people ticketed for that if you light up the tires... however, they can get you for that if you floor it from a light up to the speed limit as well.

So that's 3 tickets you can possibly receive by doing what you posted. So again, may want to double check your post...
Old 10-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Damn, you guys had some pretty cool cars for high school though
Geez, that's just the start:

1976 Elky (el slow) - 350/350TH/4.10posi
1969 CJ - 428SCJ
1970 Challenger R/T - 383
1969 Chevelle - 307/Powerglide
several Fox 5.0s
1 SHO
1968 or 69 442 vert

and one Javelin that landed in a tree
Old 10-07-2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
Geez, that's just the start:

1976 Elky (el slow) - 350/350TH/4.10posi
1969 CJ - 428SCJ
1970 Challenger R/T - 383
1969 Chevelle - 307/Powerglide
several Fox 5.0s
1 SHO
1968 or 69 442 vert

and one Javelin that landed in a tree
Damn, I'm jealous.... except for the Javelin. I think you took AMC's naming a little too literally there.

But I do recall you were one of the people who had a pretty neat collection of "Cars you've owned in the past"
Old 10-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by crazyasiantl
i have to admit, i have a nice car, and the fact that im working to pay for it and its in my name makes me feel better about myself. but damn it really pisses me off when you see punk ass kids driving cars that you know they cant afford.

take yesterday for example: me and the gf were at the mall yesterday, and i saw an Audi S5. guess who was driving it? some high school kid. it even had the damn parking tag on it "student clovis west high school" wtf?

today here at school as i wait in my car for class to start, i see some thug guy in a 3rd gen aspec TL, a G8 GXP, EVO MR, and a brand new lifted Chevy D-Max.

thats my rant for the day

kthxbye
haha yeah i went to clovis west for summer school, i hated everyone that had a car, because i had to ride a skateboard to school.. that was when i was 16, now i am 23 with a 2007 tl-s.. so take that f*ckers..

but for reals that school is full of rich kids, i went to buchanan to and they had a car show, it was crazy..
Old 10-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Runs on Dunkin

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
It bothers me slightly if they are cocky bastards about it, and when they think because their parents have money that they are superior to you
Old 10-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Damn, I'm jealous.... except for the Javelin. I think you took AMC's naming a little too literally there.

But I do recall you were one of the people who had a pretty neat collection of "Cars you've owned in the past"
Those were the cars I can remember at my HS, at least the ones who actually knew or appreciated what they had.

As far as the Javelin goes, some dumb kid decided he wouldn't stop at the end of the school exit where it forms a T intersection...and kept going right into the tree in the yard across from the entrance.

Who owned the yard? The auto mechanics teacher. lol Between that, and me tipping a small block over an air hose, we had some fun times.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,147 Likes on 774 Posts
That depends on the local jurisdiction's codes, actually.
Originally Posted by juniorbean
May want to double check your knowledge. In addition to the two (2) tickets already mentioned by others you can also get pulled over for an "Unsafe Start". Now, typically I've only seen people ticketed for that if you light up the tires... however, they can get you for that if you floor it from a light up to the speed limit as well.

So that's 3 tickets you can possibly receive by doing what you posted. So again, may want to double check your post...
"Audible tire friction" is a citation offense in San Mateo County, CA-- any bit of tire squeal = ticket (friend got one for his built Chevelle-- the car never moved during a burnout, so it wasn't deemed a moving violation, IIRC).

Local jurisdictions (City & County), not Feds or State, pass local ordinances to supplement the general statutes.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
I don't get jealous when I see a younger person driving a nicer car than me, all I think is "wow, it would have been nice to drive a new bimmer when I was that age" but other than that I dont really care.

What I do hate though is seeing an old lady driving an expensive sports car that her husband bought her (or not) in the slow lane with the steering wheel under her chin, poor car will never be ran to its true potential.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:34 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone can be "getto rich"

A good friend of mine just bough a new M5 last year BUT lives in his moms basement... I held on to my 2001 CL and bought my first condo and my monthly payment for mortgage , taxes , and maint fee is as much as he is paying for his car note (not counting insurance)

I easily could have styed in my 1 br apt and bought a S5 or M3 or better yet moved back home with mom and boght a M5 like him BUT my priorities are in a diff area .. 10 years ago I would have taken the car and moved back home with mom!!
A car is the woirste investment anyone can make and property right now it a great investment So if someone would rather spend 100K on a car instead of a condo or townhouse then they are idiots!
Most of these kids with nice cars live at home or are behind on payments if they r paying for it on there own. If there mom and dad bought it for them then good for them!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03bl AC k CL
it used to bother me when i was like 17 and kids at my high school had s4's and m3's and i was pushing a 2000 maxima ... but that was just me being immature and jealous. some parents work hard to provide their kids luxuries. others cant afford it, and others have the means to provide a luxurious life for their children, but like to push their kids to go and earn things on their own... my father paid for half of my car, that is more than fair.

i learned to work and save money. i ended up with my 02 tl type s a year later, and then now i just leased an 09 altima sl with my own money. lesson learned.

some parents have the means to set their kids up for life and they never have to worry about this sort of responsibility. sure they will always be "owned" by their parents, but if its all they know what do they care?

so in short, nah it doesnt bother me anymore. independence is a nice thing.
+1, couldn't have said it any better

Very similar situation for me, dad paid for half my first car('95 civic coupe) and i've slowly moved up to nicer cars and now I pay for the TL and RX8 with my own income and own my own house as well.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
It doesn't bother me one bit. In the same respect, some older person driving a 15 year old Chevy (insert any other old crappy car) may also look at you with disdain. Especially if they feel you didn't deserve it and they were unhappy with their life.

I am where I want to be professionally. I bought my 05 TL brand new. It is now paid off. Sure I occasionally see some "punk" or "thug" driving an M3, 335 coupe, or any other higher valued car but I don't care. I love my TL. I love my job. I love my family. I love my life. There will always be someone with a newer and nicer toy than you.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
On the inside I know it really is a difference of priorities...

BUT, try selling said kids the parts and installing them on said better cars. Haha, I could not afford to do what my customers do with their cars...how is that for irony!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:18 PM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess I'm one of those "kids" who got a nice first car. I got my TL-S last year when I was 15. Even though my TL-S is a 2002, sometimes I still feel like I don't deserve it. I agree with the attitude of driving a nice car. I definitely had it the first month or so. Its just a good feeling to have a nice car, but you shouldn't live your life thinking your higher. But, the only reason I got the car is because my parents know I take care of my things. I freak out when my car gets scratched/chipped, etc. I wash it every week if necessary. It gets cleaned out every week also. I keep up with the maintence and take very good care of it. Because of that, my parents said as long as I wasn't into drugs and did good in school, they would give me things I need first and wanted second. I wanted a jetski really bad, and my parents got me a Kawi Ultra 250X because they knew I would take care of it. And I think also that they think I will go fast on it instead of in my car?

Its known that kids don't take care of their cars. I watch my friends do it all the time. My best friend got a 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS auto. She abuses that thing like its nobody's business. She burns out all the time because its fun, and abuses the manumatic feature. She even said sometimes her boyfriend will pull the emergency brake while she is going slow like through a parking lot. She then told me he will downshift the car while she is on the highway. And the one thing that eats me up is shifting the car to a different gear while its still rolling. Like when you put it in reverse, back out, and before its completely stopped, pull it into drive. She does that every time!

I guess it just really eats me up when an undeserving kid abuses a car.

One of my other friends got a 2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor. She's 15 and can't drive to save her life. I rode in it and I asked her what a kompressor was to see if she could tell me. She told me its what makes the engine go fast. LOL She told me that her dad showed her how to work it. Evidently, you have to press the gas pedal to the floor, let off, then go wide open again to get the best of it. I had no idea thats how you work a supercharger. lmao. Anyone ever rode in a C230K? They have a very disappointing and odd engine sound...
Old 02-23-2010, 04:48 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

it will get better as you get older...

it only irritates me if the kids cut me off, or drive stupidly
but they can drive whatever they want.

Some people earn their money, others are corrupt.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:47 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
No.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 PM
One on the right for me

My thoughts are still the same.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was the kid at 16 with a $28 thousand car. I'm neither ostentatious nor spoiled. I respected the car and my parents for purchasing it for me and take better care of my car (to this day) than I do most anything else in my life. It all depends on the kid. If they were brought up thinking they were entitled to a fancy car, they will disrespect it. However, if they were brought up humbly, it's a different story. I consider myself the latter and look forward to every moment I get to spend with it.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sclass88
I was the kid at 16 with a $28 thousand car. I'm neither ostentatious nor spoiled. I respected the car and my parents for purchasing it for me and take better care of my car (to this day) than I do most anything else in my life. It all depends on the kid. If they were brought up thinking they were entitled to a fancy car, they will disrespect it. However, if they were brought up humbly, it's a different story. I consider myself the latter and look forward to every moment I get to spend with it.

i know people with expensive cars, etc and some of them are indeed assholes, but the ones who were brought up right are secure enough about themselves to not be so. when i was 16 i wasn't given a particularly expensive car, and though i wasn't pleased about it at the time (friends had $$$ cars) i'm glad now i didn't, because i wasn't mature enough to not be a dick about an expensive car. when i grew up a little more, and the ol camry gave up the ghost, my dad was ok with me getting a "prestige" car (i.e. my TL) and i assure you i'm not a dick about it (i've had it about a year and a half and many of my friends don't even know i have a different car).
Old 02-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Yeah, my parents spoiled me. They went all out and got me the best car around. Got a problem with that?

So in 1994 when I got my license, I inherited my father's 1987 Honda Accord LX in Champagne Beige Metallic. It was HOT!

Old 02-27-2010, 04:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by NOX 3.2
it will get better as you get older...
+1.

I'm now 35 and my concerns are my new baby, my wife, my mortgage, etc. I'm dammn proud that we own a nice home in Orange County, drive nice cars, and I can afford for my wife to stay home to raise our child.

But at 16 would I have cared about these things? Not a chance.

I think that's what's probably eye-rolling about the young kid weaving in and out of traffic is that he cannot possibly comprehend what responsibility is (I know I didn't truly understand)...just like a 15-year-old girl claiming she's in love, you kinda chuckle and give them the "just wait" look...