Don't care
4.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Do you find SUV pointless?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of vehicles on the road are impractical for what their owners use them for. Think a lot of times people buy their vehicles based off activities they do the least or ones that they think they'll do like pick up lumber/ pick up a big screen tv/ go camping with a bunch of people etc. But, in the end, people should be able to buy what they like whether they use that vehicle to its full abilities or not.

As far as SUV's, I don't think they are the best design for hauling people or things inside them, probably because they are designed around a pickup where a minivan is specifically designed for carrying people and things inside.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:14 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

But then. I have to thank the SUV folks. When I was shopping for a car, I find a 04TSX - navi at the used car lot with 8000 miles on it... the previous owner got pregent and traded her TSX with an MDX. Needless to say, the TSX end up on my driveway....
Old 10-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Intermediate

i like SUVs, but i dont need one, i lhate minivans tho - I own a 1998 Mazda MPV Allsport, i bought it used for 6000bucks, and it does what i need it to do - it came in handy this year tho because i carpool to school with my car and it seats 6 people including my self at the wheel, comfortably, but its getting old, and im growing tired of having to floor it - to change lanes. I like SUVs cuz i find it more comfortable to sit up high, i also like 4wd beause New York winters are a bitch. currently i have my pennies saved up for an RDX if the price stays under 32K, but REAL SUVs like the YUKON/Envoy, and Expedition/Explorer are kinda senseless to me, unless where u live gas is cheap and u have to haul something, my MPV can handle towing my 2 jetskis onto the beach and its ok on gas, around 19/20. I think the RDX will have what Im looking for at a reasonable price (PLEASE HONDA, PLEASE) higher ride height, All-weather capability, nice power, and good gas mileage - no need for SUVs for me... if you have money to burn, do as you like. but my 2 pennies - cross overs make more sense.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CLpower
reality is, SUV gas mileage isn't as bad as people suggest, and passenger car mileage isn't as good as most suggest. Sure there are some SUV's that get 10 MPG and some cars that getr 30+, but they aren't common
I kinda like the idea that those in my office are driving full sized SUVs and they're complaining about the 15- mpg they're getting while gas is close to $3.00/gallon. I happily mention I'm getting close to 30mpg...they don't like me much.

All kidding aside though, I think SUVs are wasteful and unnecissary for 90% of those who own them. Plus, I think SUV usage is in part to blame for the high gas prices. America demands way too much gas than it should because people like the other agents in my office are getting 15mpg while driving 25,000+ miles a year. And for what? Prestige? They don't offroad, they don't haul tons of stuff. They drive them because they think it makes them look good. It just makes little sense to me. I understand those on this thread who do use their SUV for what it's designed...but that is such a sliver-thin minority it's sad.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
i dont get what you guys are bashing SUV's for.. theyre actually pretty damn practical. unless you got a hummer or something. but yeah, gas mileage isnt that bad. for an average of 16? heck thats how much the 350Z gets. at least thats whats reading on my average gas mileage reader thing.. haha. but yeah, got rid of it. super impractical and unnessacary. its for pleasure and i think sports cars are also just as guilty to this as SUV's, if not more.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:17 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,911 Likes on 2,614 Posts
When I was on a music video in Cleveland last weeknend they didnt get us a truck, so had to split all the gear up into different SUVs...one dude pulls up in his pimped out H2.....

He couldnt any of the seats to fold...we could barely put shit in it those things are for shit.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
When I was on a music video in Cleveland last weeknend they didnt get us a truck, so had to split all the gear up into different SUVs...one dude pulls up in his pimped out H2.....

He couldnt any of the seats to fold...we could barely put shit in it those things are for shit.
I would laugh and tell him, "For shame, for shame!"
Old 10-06-2005, 11:38 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,911 Likes on 2,614 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
I would laugh and tell him, "For shame, for shame!"
Big black dude, driving us in to the middle of the projects for the entire day to shoot a music video......not saying a word.