Disappointed with Acura at the Chicago Auto Show!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002 | 02:10 PM
JOE
Instructor

Disappointed with Acura at the Chicago Auto Show!

I just went to the Chicago Auto Show last night and I was pretty disappointed with Acura's presentation. They had the weakest presence at this year's showing!! I saw the new 2002 CL Type S 6 speed but for some reason Acura decided not to have any type of presentation for it.. What also pissed me off were the Acura representatives that were just standing around tweedling their thumbs.. Some genius decided to lock the door on the new 6 speed, take the Type S logo off of the back, and tear apart the shiftgate so that someone who wasn't familiar with the new 6 speed wouldn't even know it was new!!!!

I personally think Acura needs to get it's act together because Lexus, Infiniti, even Nissan, BMW, MB, etc.. had representatives that were informed and knowledgable about their cars.. I don't know about you guys but I think Acura dropped the ball at the Chicago Auto Show with it's poor presentation and crappy reps..
Old 02-15-2002 | 02:15 PM
STi

I agree with you, I was there last night.....
Old 02-15-2002 | 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

It's actually the 2003 CL-S and I don't think Acura makes a big deal about these cars unless it's a big refresh or straight up redesign. Who's to say if that's right or not but that's how they do it. The 2003 TL didn't get any hoopla either, but the '02 TL did b/c it sported over 500 changes from the '01.

As for the look of the cars, the auto manufacturers usually remove stuff that can get stolen. The fact that the door was locked was probably an indication that stuff actually was stolen or the damage to the shift gate happened at the show, so you can probably blame fellow auto show attendees for that. The same car was at the LA Auto Show and it was open and people took pics and the car looked fine both inside and out.

As for the guys standing around... well, you should have just given them a swift kick in the ass! That or whip out a key and hold it close to a car. That would generate activity :P ......
Old 02-15-2002 | 02:24 PM
Nosferatu

WHen I was there on Friday right when the show opened to the public, the car was open.... I can't remember if anything was missing though....
Old 02-15-2002 | 02:33 PM
JOE
Instructor

Sorry about that, I meant 2002 6 speed! I know that most car manufacturers will purposely take some logos so that certain idiots won't rip them off. But cmon, if you saw the presentation of the other luxury brands you would be pretty upset at Acura too! It looked as if Acura didn't put any care or concern with the visual presentation of their cars!!! Jeesh, I heard one guy who just came from the Lexus booth smugly say that Acura was a poor man's excuse of a luxury brand based on what he saw.. After hearing that of course I had to defend Acura's nameplate!

I asked if he ever owned or driven an Acura and he said no.. He said that he's always owned Lexus or MB's. He told me he heard a lot of positive things about the CL and TL and was curious. He pointed out that if Acura is not willing to put in time to show well at the Auto show that's an indication of the way the company thinks.. I couldn't disagree with the guy. I talked to people more about the CL than any of the shitty reps that were there. When I approached one of the reps about there jobs he just said that if he's asked a question he'll try to answer it.. Talk about LAZY!! I'm sorry, I've been a staunch supporter of Acura for years now but I know my next car won't be another Acura!!! I love the car but I hate the terrible injustice that befallen it...
Old 02-15-2002 | 04:24 PM
Instructor

this has been my experience as well when it comes acura at car shows.. 2001 ny auto show.. looked like a ghost town, 2001 atlanta show, ditto.. they just dont make any exciting cars other then the nsx i guess..
Old 02-15-2002 | 07:24 PM
Fuct in the hed!

I was dissappointed with the whole show!!!!
Old 02-15-2002 | 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Nicky Pass
I was dissappointed with the whole show!!!!
I was thinking about going, so I guess I should just stay home.
Old 02-15-2002 | 08:48 PM
Certified Lurker

Originally posted by JOE
Sorry about that, I meant 2002 6 speed!

For the second time, its the 2003 CL, not 2002. :P