Dear Acura: PAY ATTENTION! Siri now to integrate with Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:49 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Well this thread started as stupid....and continued down the path at break-neck speed.

Some of the posts in here....
The following users liked this post:
juniorbean (03-01-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Which carrier? Should be able to get a free microcell, use it at the cottage problem solved.

BUT regardless....her issue is with the provider...not the fact that its an iPhone.
ATT. Shouldnt have to buy more to get it to work when the majority of the other carriers work there (verizion is hit and miss)

Well it can be both. Apples ridiculous terms have limited their exposures into other carriers. Either way like i stated before. Androids do every thing i need them to do, plus at a far less cost. There is no need or desire for me to get something that i cant use in most places i travel to around here.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,841 Likes on 2,581 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
ATT. Shouldnt have to buy more to get it to work when the majority of the other carriers work there (verizion is hit and miss)

Well it can be both. Apples ridiculous terms have limited their exposures into other carriers. Either way like i stated before. Androids do every thing i need them to do, plus at a far less cost. There is no need or desire for me to get something that i cant use in most places i travel to around here.
Well, AT&T is the company offering the FREE Microcell...so you just have to call, say you have an iPhone that gets no reception at said location and they should send one to you at no cost. Then, it should work no problems.

My friend has farm in upstate maryland with NOOOO reception...they got a microcell free and it works great.

Hell, my dad got one just cause it was free...dont think he ever took it out of the box.

Im just saying its an option, its free, and it'll keep your daughter happy
Old 02-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I have one for Sprint. It was free as well, love it.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:53 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
Great. Pull this thread up on your phone, and then tap twice on it where you project it wirelessly up on the 60" television in your living room, so you can show your friends.
Use the remote app.

Posted from my Google TV.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Well, AT&T is the company offering the FREE Microcell...so you just have to call, say you have an iPhone that gets no reception at said location and they should send one to you at no cost. Then, it should work no problems.

My friend has farm in upstate maryland with NOOOO reception...they got a microcell free and it works great.

Hell, my dad got one just cause it was free...dont think he ever took it out of the box.

Im just saying its an option, its free, and it'll keep your daughter happy
Still Wont work. It requires broad band. That isnt available at our cottage. Even if it did it wouldnt do her any good laying out on the pier or out in the boat. Trust me, there is a reason 80% of the people that have cottages and are from places like Chicago have a 2nd phone service. If you dont your phone becomes a paper weight for the weekend.

Yes, the service requires DSL/cable/fiber broadband service of at least 1.5 Mbps downstream/256 kbps upstream. It does not replace your existing broadband service
Old 03-01-2012, 12:52 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
i had to pay for my microcell
Old 03-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
Lol. From my iPhone or iPad, I can operate my baby monitor, garage door opener, outside home lights, host a webex meeting, make a face to face phone call on a standard software package to mobile device or PC, download a professional application to do about anything in seconds, remote control any PC or Mac, present what's on the phone or iPad wirelessly to any screen or projector with an HDMI port, electronically sign a medical record, manage my VMware server cluster, run a windows, Linux, or Mac virtual environment in VMware or Citrix, VPN connect to any Juniper, Cisco, or Avaya based concentrator, dictate an email or text message with voice control, set gps based reminders.....

2/3 of what I just mentioned there is not possible on any other one device.

I work with and develop software for droid and iOS devices all day every day, and the iOS has it all over the 28 current renditions of the android OS in the wild. Until they unify and sustain some consistency, they'll never be a threat to the high end market. Honestly, the most intriguing new stuff is coming out of Nokia/Microsoft, but they're way late to the game.

iOS just works. Apple maintains OS standards and consistency across all devices, and controls the quality and delivery of all hardware. The reality is there isn't anyone else a car manufacturer could choose to integrate with; TW others have no consistent standards.
Waiting for Yumcha's rebuttal...
Old 03-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Speaking as one who just got banned from the Crackberry forums...

I have two observations.

One: Acurazine is a very well run site, that allows for open and honest discussion between what appear to be fairly intelligent members. "Fanboys" are present in various forms, but they do not seem to dominate the forums, nor are their posts entirely instructed by their preferences (in other words, there may be fanboys, but they're not blind fanboys)

Two: Discussing various smartphone platforms has a tendency to turn one into a douchebag.
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,913 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
I have two observations.

One: Acurazine is a very well run site, that allows for open and honest discussion between what appear to be fairly intelligent members. "Fanboys" are present in various forms, but they do not seem to dominate the forums, nor are their posts entirely instructed by their preferences (in other words, there may be fanboys, but they're not blind fanboys)

Two: Discussing various smartphone platforms has a tendency to turn one into a douchebag.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I have two observations.

sockpuppet.. what are you doing out of my special office drawer?? ...or did I leave you behind my headboard?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:36 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,841 Likes on 2,581 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Still Wont work. It requires broad band. That isnt available at our cottage. Even if it did it wouldnt do her any good laying out on the pier or out in the boat. Trust me, there is a reason 80% of the people that have cottages and are from places like Chicago have a 2nd phone service. If you dont your phone becomes a paper weight for the weekend.
Wellll....aside from being a bored teen

If I had a weekend getaway..Id be more than happy for my phone to turn into a brick for a couple days.