Day with a TL from an IS 300 owner.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 03:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day with a TL from an IS 300 owner.

What's up? I'm an IS 300 owner and I got to experience a new TL (non-Type-S) as a loaner car for the day. I dropped off my Fathers NSX for service and was surprised to see a new TL as the loaner car! I must say I'm very impressed. The car's interior is very nice and the car is a comfortable cruiser. In my opinion the IS and the TL compliment each other. Where the IS is nimble around the turns yet a little harsh while cruising, the TL cruises really comfortably. I have always been a fan of the TL/CL (as a 6th gen Accord owner). If I was going to keep a car stock I would seriously have been tossed up between the IS and the Type-S. And since I usually race the NSX with the HART (Honda of America Race Team) I know a lot of stuff I could do to make the Type-S really quick (HART has a 3.0 CL that is normally aspirated and running mid 13's), but I went with the IS because of the engines capabilities when turboed (one in Florida just dynoed at almost 600 rwhp). So I just wanted to compliment your cars.

------------------
2001 Lexus IS300:
Cast iron turbo exahust manifold, 3 in downpipe, Spearco front mount intercooler, Garret TO4E turbocharger with V-band, air intake charger pipe and air filter, turbo charger heat shield, steelbraided oil feed line and oil return lines, HKS super-sequential blow-off valve, Turbonetics racegate wastegate, 550cc injectors, MSD DIS 4 digital ignition, Haltech E6K engine managment system, Haltech S3 sensor, Terminated wiring harness, Toyomoto crank trigger wheel and hub assembly, powdercoated pipes, power steering cooling lines, thermal heat resistant wire loom, HKS Hiper exhaust...and then there's the outside!

*SOLD*98 Accord EX V6 coupe
AEM Intake, Comptech Headers, Random Tech high-flow cat, GReddy dual MX exhaust, BLTI Carbon Fiber Ignition cables, eibach springs, Axis wheels with Nittos, Wings West Spoiler.
15.1 @ 92 mph

[This message has been edited by Accord-R (edited 06-07-2001).]
Old 06-07-2001, 03:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
nice positive post hope to see you around some more and share with us some performance gains possible on our cl's paticularly the cl-S

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
H&R o.e.'s 1.0/1.0
AEM cold air w/bypass
---PIAA 19224----
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
kill list
ITR.'98gt,GTP,contour SVT
GS-R,87 GT,supra...and more to come
-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 06-07-2001, 03:33 PM
Suzuka Master

hey, haven't seen u on the board for awhile, Did u finally get to get all the parts together on your IS?

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter.Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers,Springs,Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.Polarg m6

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 06-07-2001, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the post. Could you eleborate more on the NA 3.0 CL and list its' mods?

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Got some stuff
14.302 @98.69 Carlsbad Raceway 4/29/01
My Car

CLpower has a 1st Gen 3.0 CL
Old 06-07-2001, 04:15 PM
Intermediate

Hey guys, thanks for the positive feedback. My last IS got destroyed by a tractor trailer, crushed the entire car with me in it, but I must say, the IS saved my life, no intrusion past the seats, although the car was twisted and crushed. I didn't get a scratch. My turbo is finally being installed next week after I spent the time finalizing my options for it when I was without an IS.

I know a lot of secrets about your cars (the J series V6 platform) I'm actually researching away to improve your trannys. Please don't take this as an insult but the auto trannys on the SOHC V6 J engines suck. We are looking for a way to adjust the two shift solenoids for the tranny. To explain it simply, there is like a put in gear solenoid and pull out of gear solenoind, they work in syncro to shift the car, but they are timed, meaning about 2 second for each solenoid. So if we can reduce the shift time in each solenoid to about half a second, your tranny will shift much faster. There are other things you can do to help out the tranny like using the rear from the Japanese 2.5 Inspire and the Third gear from a Honda Oddysey. Also a torque converter with an 800rpm stall speed above the stock stall speed. These mods will GREATLY improve your transmission, leading to longer tranny life and noticeably better performance. I'll post more info to specific questions if people would like.
Old 06-07-2001, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

Oh, Mike the 3.0 CL uses the 2.5 liter Inspire pistons to bump the compression, CL Type-S Heads and Intake manifold, the tranny mods listed before, headers with no exhuast, and an intake with no resonators. Along with Drag slicks. I have a video of it running the 13.6, and will post it soon.
Old 06-07-2001, 04:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
dude you are gonna be my new best friend!!!

------------------
2002 TL Type-S
Comptech Springs
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake, you are the all-singing all-dancing Crap of the world!
Old 06-07-2001, 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Those are some great, informative posts. I wish people who owned "other" cars were like you instead of thinking their car is the best thing ever made....

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum
Email: juniorbean@acura-cl.com
Old 06-07-2001, 04:54 PM
Intermediate

I'll post some more info later, I just want to organize it. I have some pictures too. The intake on your cars is another interesting point. Believe it or not, the stock airbox dynoed more hp then an AEM cold air intake. What you do is remove the filter (not great if you are on the streets and crap flies into your intake),take out the resonator in the bumper and put in some sort of air directional things (drier tubing or bend some aluminum sheet metal so air doesn't hit the tire but heads up towards the box). Then take out the stock tube from the box to the intake manifold and replace with a tube that has no resonators but has the little attachments for the O2 sensors. This setup actually created the most HP gain for an intake. I will post pics of it when I get home.
Old 06-07-2001, 04:57 PM
KISS MY

thanks, great to here from a lexus owner... you should be put on the good no acura owner list with m3sins

------------------
01- Acura CL silver 3.2-s
20% tint 35%front window
Bose Mods.. Mod's to come headers and springs
Old 06-07-2001, 05:02 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info, this is good stuff.

------------------
Drive Fast Live Fast!
Old 06-07-2001, 05:02 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Accord-R:
I'll post some more info later, I just want to organize it. I have some pictures too. The intake on your cars is another interesting point. Believe it or not, the stock airbox dynoed more hp then an AEM cold air intake. What you do is remove the filter (not great if you are on the streets and crap flies into your intake),take out the resonator in the bumper and put in some sort of air directional things (drier tubing or bend some aluminum sheet metal so air doesn't hit the tire but heads up towards the box). Then take out the stock tube from the box to the intake manifold and replace with a tube that has no resonators but has the little attachments for the O2 sensors. This setup actually created the most HP gain for an intake. I will post pics of it when I get home.</font>
Great... I'm looking forward to these. You might want to add the K&N drop in filter. I may try this with my CL-S.

------------------
SidVicious
2001 CL Type S w/ NAV in Silver | Wheel Locks | Front Plate (Mounted in the Trunk) | Mobil 1 | Polarg M6 | K&N Filter (Mounted in the Trunk til the old one wears out)
1992 Ford Ranger XLT in Silver | F-150 Springs | 3" Body Lift | K&N Filter | Flowmaster Exhaust |
{insert "Green Box 4 Mod!" gif here}
Old 06-07-2001, 05:25 PM
Intermediate

A K&N filter would make it better for driving on the street, but I'd take it off at the track!
Old 06-07-2001, 05:27 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Accord R:
What do you think about a 6 speed manual ? Good deal or stick to the auto ?

------------------
"We're spoiled rotten"
Waiting for 6 speed manual CLS !
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, Comptech Sway Bars,Kyocera Smartphone/Palm powered otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 06-07-2001, 05:40 PM
Intermediate

I'm a fan of worked autos because of their consistency. But in the TL/CL/Accord you hit the quarter mile in third gear, where as if you used the NSX manual you would have to shift to fourth, so I think the gains from the manual would be eliminated by the extra time it takes to hit fourth (espescially if you are not a professional driver who can shift in less than 3 tenths of a second), actually based on Cartest (the awesomest performance estimation program) the auto would get a better 1/4 mile time. By the way for people whodon't know the NSX engine bolts to our automatic, and the NSX tranny bolts to our engine.
Old 06-07-2001, 05:46 PM
Banned

With all the info...I take back everything I ever said about you...
I'm a fan of worked autos because of their consistency. But in the TL/CL/Accord you hit the quarter mile in third gear, where as if you used the NSX manual you would have to shift to fourth, so I think the gains from the manual would be eliminated by the extra time it takes to hit fourth (espescially if you are not a professional driver who can shift in less than 3 tenths of a second), actually based on Cartest (the awesomest performance estimation program) the auto would get a better 1/4 mile time. By the way for people whodon't know the NSX engine bolts to our automatic, and the NSX tranny bolts to our engine.</font>

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
Yes, I know I'm going to hell for wasting gas on Civics....
My Peoples
Old 06-08-2001, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Are there any Venture Capitalists out there that would like to fund Accord-R to do some serious R&D for the CL-S? It sounds like there are some serious possibilities here for mods besides headers and CAI.

------------------
2001 CL Type S
San Marino Red/Parchment
non-nav/wheel locks
splash guards/PIAA 19169 road lamps
Xephyr Performance CAI
V1 Piggy Squealer
Red Painted Calipers
Shine by Meguiars #7 and Gold Class
Old 06-08-2001, 11:10 AM
Drifting

Yes please. Especially with the SC in progress..these mods would be great. Do you know anything, as far as engine tuning?

Spiro

Hey guys, thanks for the positive feedback. My last IS got destroyed by a tractor trailer, crushed the entire car with me in it, but I must say, the IS saved my life, no intrusion past the seats, although the car was twisted and crushed. I didn't get a scratch. My turbo is finally being installed next week after I spent the time finalizing my options for it when I was without an IS.

I know a lot of secrets about your cars (the J series V6 platform) I'm actually researching away to improve your trannys. Please don't take this as an insult but the auto trannys on the SOHC V6 J engines suck. We are looking for a way to adjust the two shift solenoids for the tranny. To explain it simply, there is like a put in gear solenoid and pull out of gear solenoind, they work in syncro to shift the car, but they are timed, meaning about 2 second for each solenoid. So if we can reduce the shift time in each solenoid to about half a second, your tranny will shift much faster. There are other things you can do to help out the tranny like using the rear from the Japanese 2.5 Inspire and the Third gear from a Honda Oddysey. Also a torque converter with an 800rpm stall speed above the stock stall speed. These mods will GREATLY improve your transmission, leading to longer tranny life and noticeably better performance. I'll post more info to specific questions if people would like.
</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-08-2001, 11:14 AM
Burning Brakes

What does adding the turbo package to the IS300 cost roughly (parts and labor)?

It also looks like adding the turbo to the is300 will out hp anything we can do to the cl-s (in the same price range that is).

------------------
2001 Satin Silver CL Type S.
No Navi, PIAA 19169, Comptech Sways, Century Childseat, Mudguards.
Old 06-08-2001, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

I'm a fan of worked autos because of their consistency. But in the TL/CL/Accord you hit the quarter mile in third gear, where as if you used the NSX manual you would have to shift to fourth, By the way for people whodon't know the NSX engine bolts to our automatic, and the NSX tranny bolts to our engine.</font>
although i totally appreciate this line of disscussion ,and it's right up my alley as far as what i want my cl-S to be .im fairly certain the NSX mission will not work on our car...doesnt matter any way the reason that person asked about the 6 speed manual is cause we're getting our own man. in august or so...ACCORD R... where are you from ,some of what you're saying rings of another friend of the board, syncivic(doug) you may know of him he created that castrol syntec civic that had the cover of super street a while back...He too was mentioning the desire to increase the selinoid timing for quicker shifts But,thought it would take an ECU hack...you also mentioned mdx third gear he's used there (mdx)bell housing amongst other things to create a 3.5 cl-S...it's starting to get interesting again

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
H&R o.e.'s 1.0/1.0
AEM cold air w/bypass
---PIAA 19224----
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
kill list
-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit

[This message has been edited by typeR (edited 06-08-2001).]
Old 06-08-2001, 01:55 PM
Firestarter

Hats off to Accord R.

he is one cool muthahfukah!

------------------
Silver CL-S
Old 06-08-2001, 01:59 PM
Intermediate

What's up everyone. The NSX transmission (manual) does bolt up no problem to the 3.2 CL (J32) block. Honda has a special dyno that requires a manual transmission, and when they test the J engine they bolt the engine to an NSX tranny. The problem would be setting up the linkage from the shifter in the car to the tranny, but it probably wouldn't be rediculously expensive (I still like the auto better in these cars if it is worked).

I had a website with the third gear posted a long time ago, a lot of people got info there. And yes the IS modified with a turbo will produce more hp than the J-engine because the IS engine is the Supra turbo engine. That is why I got the IS over the CL Type-S. For tuning potential. The base turbo kit costs like 9,000 installed and that puts the car at like 380 engine hp (the kit is particularly expensive because it has a Haltech engine management system), Stage 2 is an addditional 2,500 which puts the car up to like 550 engine hp, ans then you can go nuts with pistons and rods for stage 3 which is about 720 engine hp. Oh and the stock auto tranny has been holding out fine with the haltech and the shift kit.

By the way I have info on the pistons which will bump your compression, the problem is I don't know how it will work in the Type-S. The J30 Accord V6 goes from l ike 9.8:1 to like 11.5:1 with the Japanese Inspire pistons they are both the same diameter (I think 86 mm) but the 2.5's are domed giving it the higher compression. I have heard that the NSX's pistons will fit in the J32, but I'm not sure how compression will be changed. By the way I think a supercharger would perform better than a turbo in the Type-S.
Old 06-08-2001, 02:02 PM
Drifting

How about getting a smaller head gasket. That should bump up compression a bit.

Spiro

What's up everyone. The NSX transmission (manual) does bolt up no problem to the 3.2 CL (J32) block. Honda has a special dyno that requires a manual transmission, and when they test the J engine they bolt the engine to an NSX tranny. The problem would be setting up the linkage from the shifter in the car to the tranny, but it probably wouldn't be rediculously expensive (I still like the auto better in these cars if it is worked).

I had a website with the third gear posted a long time ago, a lot of people got info there. And yes the IS modified with a turbo will produce more hp than the J-engine because the IS engine is the Supra turbo engine. That is why I got the IS over the CL Type-S. For tuning potential. The base turbo kit costs like 9,000 installed and that puts the car at like 380 engine hp (the kit is particularly expensive because it has a Haltech engine management system), Stage 2 is an addditional 2,500 which puts the car up to like 550 engine hp, ans then you can go nuts with pistons and rods for stage 3 which is about 720 engine hp. Oh and the stock auto tranny has been holding out fine with the haltech and the shift kit.

By the way I have info on the pistons which will bump your compression, the problem is I don't know how it will work in the Type-S. The J30 Accord V6 goes from l ike 9.8:1 to like 11.5:1 with the Japanese Inspire pistons they are both the same diameter (I think 86 mm) but the 2.5's are domed giving it the higher compression. I have heard that the NSX's pistons will fit in the J32, but I'm not sure how compression will be changed. By the way I think a supercharger would perform better than a turbo in the Type-S.
</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-08-2001, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

The optimal think to increas compression would be to mill the heads. But I've heard that the tolerances are quite small, and you wouldn't want the piston ramming the block. I wanted to do this in my Accord, but I didn't want to spend the money to find out the hard way that I milled it too much!
Old 06-08-2001, 02:13 PM
Old timer

Tell me, does the shift kit for the IS mean something that makes the tranny shift better? I remember hearing the stock autotranny wasn't too great.

So with a shift kit and the turbo kit you're pretty well set to kill Z28s and TransAms?

That's awesome. Even if you are paying like $10k for it.

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
Stock for now.
50% tint sides, 35% back.
Old 06-08-2001, 02:14 PM
Racer

Dude, the nsx is rear wheel drive so i dont think it would work with ours...unless the nsx's mid engined platform works uses a fwd type transmissoin...but i doubt it
Old 06-08-2001, 02:33 PM
Intermediate

Actually the NSX is mounted the exact same as a FWD drive car, remember mid-engine horizontally mounted engine. A shift kit would make the car shift faster. When I bought my Comptech headers I got like the third set they made, so I payed like 1800 installed. I think you'd get more performance if you bought a Haltech and set that up, cauase then you could control the transmission.
Old 06-08-2001, 07:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Actually the NSX is mounted the exact same as a FWD drive car, remember mid-engine horizontally mounted engine. A shift kit would make the car shift faster. When I bought my Comptech headers I got like the third set they made, so I payed like 1800 installed. I think you'd get more performance if you bought a Haltech and set that up, cauase then you could control the transmission.</font>
seems like i read that if mounted to the nsx tranny we'd be really fast in reverse and have six gears to do it in but going foward would only leave us one choice and a top speed of 30 mph or so???i could be wrong

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
H&R o.e.'s 1.0/1.0
AEM cold air w/bypass
---PIAA 19224----
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
kill list
-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 06-09-2001, 02:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Accord-R, post your email in your profile.
Any idea how much $$ for an NSX manual tranny?

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Got some stuff
14.302 @98.69 Carlsbad Raceway 4/29/01
My Car

CLpower has a 1st Gen 3.0 CL
Old 06-10-2001, 03:27 PM
Intermediate

My e-mail is IS300turbo@aol.com The NSX tranny would be 6 forward gears .
Old 06-10-2001, 04:15 PM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by typeR:
...if mounted to the nsx tranny we'd be really fast in reverse and have six gears to do it in but going foward would only leave us one choice and a top speed of 30 mph or so???i could be wrong

</font>
hahaha! we just need to stick the steering wheel outta the trunk and turn the front seats around--the rear 'windshield' seems to already be at the correct rake...and then we would have clear tail lites just like the IS!

KOOL!!

------------------
you are not your fukking signature.