Considering a minivan? :what:

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:28 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl
This is like the 5th time I've read members wives "won't drive" mini vans. I thought mini vans came about because women didn't want to drive station wagons.

I don't get women when it comes to this.

I'm not a proponent of minivans but there really isn't anything that can compare to the convenience, flexibility and overall utility of one.

fortunately for me I no longer require one.

She also used to say she won't drive an SUV....there's hope.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:41 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,814 Likes on 3,732 Posts
^

Yeah....people change.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Congrats!

It won't be that bad...you do what you gotta a do. Not the like the G is some rare collectors car. There will something better in the future.
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Congrats man. It's all par for the course. You'll have another fun car. We ditched our Fit for a Highlander. The Sienna will give you years of trouble free driving and they look pretty decent.
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I like the new Ody (sorry Moog!), and the Sienna with sport package is pretty good-looking too. Were I forced to buy a mini-van, I would choose either.

Sounds like your wife has made up her mind already on the Sienna, though. Pics when you pick it up please! And did I say get the sport package?

Sorry you have to give up your sports car to do it.
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Congrats on new Sienna, my sister-in-law has the previous gen and they really like theirs. It will serve your family well even if it is a mini-van (j/k ).

BTW, cool gray color for the Sienna!
Thanks guys! And you're all right. It's not like the G has any real sentimental value or is in any way irreplaceable. It's a great car, and there will hopefully be more great cars in my future.

Yeah, we pulled the trigger on a Sienna SE(sports package). I'll be sure to post picks after we get it home.

^

Yeah....people change.
Yes, they most certainly do. My wife certainly changed her tune after giving a minivan a fair chance. We'd looked at almost every three row crossover on the market, and after my wife saw all the merits of a minivan first hand, she was sold. They have sliding doors(biggest single selling point for my wife), more room, more storage and cupholders, slightly better mpg, easier loading height, and better driving dynamics(especially the Sienna SE).
Old 07-23-2012, 10:05 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by jayhawk815
Thanks guys! And you're all right. It's not like the G has any real sentimental value or is in any way irreplaceable. It's a great car, and there will hopefully be more great cars in my future.

Yeah, we pulled the trigger on a Sienna SE(sports package). I'll be sure to post picks after we get it home.

Yes, they most certainly do. My wife certainly changed her tune after giving a minivan a fair chance. We'd looked at almost every three row crossover on the market, and after my wife saw all the merits of a minivan first hand, she was sold. They have sliding doors(biggest single selling point for my wife), more room, more storage and cupholders, slightly better mpg, easier loading height, and better driving dynamics(especially the Sienna SE).
Good for you. Mini vans really are the absolute best way to haul people and cargo. I'm not a mini van salesman, but when we had ours, it made life much easier. Kids in car seats + sliding doors = win!

Plus if you drop all the seats you can carry 4x8 sheets of plywood for dad to build things.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:11 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,085 Posts
What a car company needs to do is create an SUV with sliding doors. That would be the best of both worlds IMO.

In all seriousness congrats on the purchase, OP. Post photos when you get a sec.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Technically, what are the prerequisites for being an SUV? I mean, this is based on a truck, and has sliding doors

Last edited by Aman; 07-23-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:30 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
What a car company needs to do is create an SUV with sliding doors. That would be the best of both worlds IMO.

In all seriousness congrats on the purchase, OP. Post photos when you get a sec.
Didn't somebody do that?

It still wouldn't have the low lift height, as much space for peeps, or as much room for cargo. Not to mention ride quality and mpgs.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Drifting

Good for you. Mini vans really are the absolute best way to haul people and cargo. I'm not a mini van salesman, but when we had ours, it made life much easier. Kids in car seats + sliding doors = win!

Plus if you drop all the seats you can carry 4x8 sheets of plywood for dad to build things.
Absolutely. The Sienna's biggest negative mark(for my needs) when compared to the Durango is the severe drop in towing capacity. I would be towing a utility trailer, primarily for home improvement hauls. However, with the larger interior capacity, I can still do a pretty hefty haul from the home improvement store, and not require a trailer.

Thanks, will do!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:15 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts

Sad thing is GM tried that with a GM/Saturn mess that was more minivan with elongated front than anything else.

I keep saying...putting sliding rear doors on a Flex and BAM...total package.

After dealing with a Flex for three days, and now a new explorer...I think I prefer the Flex...the extra length is much easier to deal with.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Car Talk is infinitizine, bmwzine, audizine, mazdazine, cadillaczine, vwzine, etc.
...I'm sure one of us will make an official G thread.
I understand the BimmerZine, AudiZine, and MazdaZine because of all the threads and owners running around here, but it still is surprising there isn't one "Official" G thread with the number of owners here.

OP, congrats on the new car and new family member.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by oo7spy
I understand the BimmerZine, AudiZine, and MazdaZine because of all the threads and owners running around here, but it still is surprising there isn't one "Official" G thread with the number of owners here.

OP, congrats on the new car and new family member.
Thanks!
Old 07-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
congrats

the SE is a great looking minivan
Old 07-23-2012, 02:25 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
on the Sienna
Old 07-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I don't have kids so perhaps I don't understand it but I would much rather drive a wagon than a minivan.

Give me an A4 Avant over that Sienna any day. If all the shit doesn't fit in the car, then take less shit IMO.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by charliemike
I don't have kids so perhaps I don't understand it but I would much rather drive a wagon than a minivan.

Give me an A4 Avant over that Sienna any day. If all the shit doesn't fit in the car, then take less shit IMO.
Lol, and this is where you should have stopped. With two car seats and an 8 year that's only going to get bigger, anything less than 3 rows is not an option.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Lol, and this is where you should have stopped. With two car seats and an 8 year that's only going to get bigger, anything less than 3 rows is not an option.
You didn't mention you had three kids so I wasn't sure.

However, I sat in the back seat of a 1983 Chevy Malibu with my brother and my sister (in a car seat) and lived.

I think we're all getting to some weird place where our kids need their own reclining bucket seat like they're in Business Class on Quantas or something.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:52 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
What dickhead (charliemick) is failing to consider is todays tighter parking spaces vs the ease of sliding doors and not having to worry about you or your kids opening a car into a neighboring vehicle OR having the room to get maneuver and get your kid in/out of your vehicle when some asshole parking 3 inches from you.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Drifting

You didn't mention you had three kids so I wasn't sure.

However, I sat in the back seat of a 1983 Chevy Malibu with my brother and my sister (in a car seat) and lived.

I think we're all getting to some weird place where our kids need their own reclining bucket seat like they're in Business Class on Quantas or something.
Well, I did mention adding a fifth member to our family. While I agree that many kids today are spoiled to the nth degree, that's a whole other topic. Outside of a full size truck, two car seats and an eight year old do not fit with any semblance of comfort.

What dickhead (charliemick) is failing to consider is todays tighter parking spaces vs the ease of sliding doors and not having to worry about you or your kids opening a car into a neighboring vehicle OR having the room to get maneuver and get your kid in/out of your vehicle when some asshole parking 3 inches from you.
Exactly. Imagine standing on one foot, using your other to keep the door from hitting the vehicle next to yours, and pulling a nearly 40 pound two year old from their car seat. Then imagine it's blowing 40-50 mph as it often does here. It's quite a site to see. Sliding doors are a HUGE selling point for a parent.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Exactly. Imagine standing on one foot, using your other to keep the door from hitting the vehicle next to yours, and pulling a nearly 40 pound two year old from their car seat. Then imagine it's blowing 40-50 mph as it often does here. It's quite a site to see. Sliding doors are a HUGE selling point for a parent.
That makes sense. I can't say I know what it's like to have to contort myself like that at this point.

I wasn't necessarily commenting on your particular situation though. Definitely meant no offense.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

You're such an insufferable douchebag, Sarlaac.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
I don't have kids so perhaps I don't understand it
^ This.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

You're such an insufferable douchebag, Sarlaac.

BOTH of you knock it off!!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
OP Congrats! And it pained me to get rid of my sporty car, so I hope your transition to the RAV4 goes ok.

We just had our first kid and my parents were REALLY pressing us to get a minivan. We ended up getting a crossover and reading this thread is making me question our decision...lol

I have a new found appreciation for sliding doors! And there is never enough space!! The kid just keeps getting more crap that I need to lug around. I end up buying doubles of everything to keep at his grandparents' house.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by umcp
OP Congrats! And it pained me to get rid of my sporty car, so I hope your transition to the RAV4 goes ok.

We just had our first kid and my parents were REALLY pressing us to get a minivan. We ended up getting a crossover and reading this thread is making me question our decision...lol

I have a new found appreciation for sliding doors! And there is never enough space!! The kid just keeps getting more crap that I need to lug around. I end up buying doubles of everything to keep at his grandparents' house.
Thanks! Which crossover did you get? I really liked several of them, but didn't realize how much more practical a minivan was till I thoroughly checked one out in person.
The following users liked this post:
umcp (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Congrats on the baby and the Sienna!
If we have a third, I might get one too
Old 07-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Racer

Thanks! Which crossover did you get? I really liked several of them, but didn't realize how much more practical a minivan was till I thoroughly checked one out in person.
We ended up getting a 2013 Mazda CX-5. We love it so far. The way it drives/handles outweighs the mediocre power output.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:05 AM
Senior Moderator

That's usually how it works.

The way it drives/handles outweighs the mediocre power output.
Ironically, that's how I feel about my 12 Accord 4 cylinder. Likewise, I think Mazda has always done a great job when it comes to handling dynamics and it does make me wonder if they use BMW models as their benchmark.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:06 AM
RDXing

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Congrats on the Sienna! I love minivans (I have an 05 Odyssey) and let me tell you, minivans are a blessing if you have to haul alot of boxes. I was able to clean out my 10x10 storage (about 90% capacity) in 5 trips. I will definitely buy another when this one retires.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by paz840
Congrats on the baby and the Sienna!
If we have a third, I might get one too
Thanks! If you give in to your practical side, you surely will!

We ended up getting a 2013 Mazda CX-5. We love it so far. The way it drives/handles outweighs the mediocre power output.
I really like the design direction Mazda went with the CX-5. MUCH better than the gaping smiles they threw on every model for a while there. My sister is strongly considering the CX-5. Besides the slow acceleration, any other complaints?

Originally Posted by Last Acura
Congrats on the Sienna! I love minivans (I have an 05 Odyssey) and let me tell you, minivans are a blessing if you have to haul alot of boxes. I was able to clean out my 10x10 storage (about 90% capacity) in 5 trips. I will definitely buy another when this one retires.
Thanks! I never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually pretty excited about getting the minivan. My wife is too, which is good, she has a tendency to get buyers remorse, even for the smallest of purchases. Supposed to be in sometime tomorrow, probably afternoon. Tentatively planning on finishing the paper work on it around 4 tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:34 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Old 07-24-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Congrats on the fam-mobile!
jayhawk815 (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
It doesn't come in till tomorrow. If it's clean(it better be), I'll take some shots when we get home. If not, I'll get it done Thursday.

In the mean time, here's a few pics I took of the Infiniti after the boys and I had washed it for the last time this past weekend:

Old 07-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Racer

I really like the design direction Mazda went with the CX-5. MUCH better than the gaping smiles they threw on every model for a while there. My sister is strongly considering the CX-5. Besides the slow acceleration, any other complaints?
We have no complaints at all. Some of the early models had a bum motor mount that had to replaced at port or by the dealer if they fell through the cracks. In the morning it starts rough, but it's normal.

Tell your sister to drive it, she'll definitely want to buy it. We ended up with a "base" GT model, because after we added some options to the Touring model it was almost the same price. If she wants the NAV, you can skip buying it from the factory and its a quick install, the part is $450 - valid for the models with the upgraded radio.
jayhawk815 (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator

6mt?
Old 07-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by F23A4
6mt?
Nope, 5at. It had AWD, which wasn't available with the 6mt.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, I couldn't make out the 'x' on that camera angle.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:40 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Nice G OP and congrats on the 3rd kid and new minivan purchase. My family had one for almost 12 years! You can get a lot done (like moving etc) and the sliding doors have saved us from embarrassing moments. Never had to worry about hittin the car next to you with the doors (we tend to do that a lot when we were younger).

Congrats again!
jayhawk815 (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by F23A4
Yeah, I couldn't make out the 'x' on that camera angle.
Yeah, the combination of hastily taking the pictures, low light, and size reduction resulted in a somewhat grainy result.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Looks good though. If I wasn't so hung up on fuel economy, I would love to have a G35xS as a second car instead of my Accord.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:46 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick Reply: Considering a minivan? :what: