Compare 350Z w/ CL-S6.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 03:17 PM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
ok, one more time guys for the EXTREMELY SLOW onese1f...

ready??

everything you said is correct...i gave my opinion and for me i pick the 2003Cl-S6.

you must have missed my second post which got back on topic and focused on what the OP might want (c'mon onese1f, get back on topic)

as i stated, o hell...scroll up and read my 2 posts again! lol. I...ME...YEAH OVER HERE!!! choose the CL-S6. YOU the stubborn onese1f chooses the 350z.

ON TOPIC!!!!!!! the OP would take the 350z for performance or for resale (what i stated in the post directly under MY opinion),but for ANY OTHER REASON, he should pick the 2003 CL-S6.

you will NEVER make me change my mind, so forget comparing 2 SLOW ASS cars! and lets look back at what the OP wants already.

okay thanks. you should knock on every Acura BMW, etc owner's door and pass out pamphlets for the outdated 350z and try convincing the world over!
Old 02-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Is a chargin mah lazar in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not trying to turn this into a grudge match, and was simply replying to select snippets of your post as per the "quote" button.

As for missing what people have said. You never answered any of the questions that I asked you. I'm not trying to change what you like, merely to shed light on some of the stupid comments that were made. I was never suggesting ANYTHING to the OP.

I'll look past the "stubborn" comment, as I'm sure you expect entirely different things from an automobile than I do. You seem to have confused "stubborn" with "rational", again, relative.

Nice though, a facetious and small minded reply was half of what I was expecting.

/threadjack

Now from that, to the actual OP, once you've moved past the whole reliability/practicality issues, why not consider an S2000 or possibly an Rx-8?
Old 02-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
the only one reason id like to buy a 350z is RWD its more fun for me but im not gonna pay that amount of money for a 2 seats inside lol. 350z brakes suck much more that CLS. id like to say its better to compare G35 with CLS it has 4 seats in there. But there is one more reason i hate 350z the interior its JUST UGLY AS HELL . you gotta love acuras VTEC and the way it sounds. FWD its the only minus for me
Old 02-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I can't believe you guys are still comparing the two! BTW, what the hell do you guys mean that the 350Z's interior is hideous? I have only sat in one once and it was soooo confortable, classy, and modern to say the least. Obviously the 350Zs are much better looking, (imo and probably most people will agree) much faster, stop much better, handle MUCH better (this is one thing that really ticks me off about CLs) and I've heard that the tranny is much smoother. I can't believe you guys say that the 350Z isn't that much faster.. I know people in their stock 350Zs that hit mid to early 14's EASY. Not sure how fast 2nd gen CLs are but they can't be faster than late 15's. That's like, at least 2 or 3 car lengths in a road race!

Last edited by GhettoNinja06; 02-07-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
I can't believe you guys are still comparing the two! BTW, what the hell do you guys mean that the 350Z's interior is hideous? I have only sat in one once and it was soooo confortable, classy, and modern to say the least. Obviously the 350Zs are much better looking, (imo and probably most people will agree) much faster, handle MUCH better (this is one thing that really ticks me off about CLs) and I've heard that the tranny is much smoother. I can't believe you guys say that the 350Z isn't that much faster.. I know people in their stock 350Zs that hit mid to early 14's EASY. Not sure how fast 2nd gen CLs are but they can't be faster than late 15's. That's like, at least 2 or 3 car lengths in a road race!

dude my bone stock acura on the dealers plates yet did a 14.341. try do this with 350z and slipping clutch at 17k GL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQk1d...e=channel_page

Last edited by StreetKA; 02-07-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, I come back from work and now see a bunch of assesments, opinions and beyond. Thanks guys. Funny I live in Socal so I figured gotta have RWD for sporty fun, but the afternoon I choose to look it is now coming down like a mutha - rain and hail! Anyway maybe I should clarify and open this up a bit. I have a CL-S6 that I have pretty finished modding to my satisfaction and now am actually just enjoying after about 3 yrs of ownership. I'm gonna keep it, but want something else w/ better handling and same or better power to hobby with. And its gotta be reliable. Believe it or not, I was considering a Vette '04 Z06, but got a bit leary of possible reliability issues. Anyway I guess w/ the CL-S6 as my basis for comparison ya'll got any EDUCATED opinions of a sporty car for about 18k w/ the above criteria...was thinking Subie or Evo...but I figure most examples would have been run hard so again reliability.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Suzuka Master

and even with CLS u can have some fun like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7OcY...eature=channel
Old 02-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hmmm, I guess I underestimated how fast the CLS is. Alright, I'll give ya that one.

But as for the snow drifting vid, you can do that with a 350Z without snow.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by StreetKA
the only one reason id like to buy a 350z is RWD its more fun for me but im not gonna pay that amount of money for a 2 seats inside lol. 350z brakes suck much more that CLS. id like to say its better to compare G35 with CLS it has 4 seats in there. But there is one more reason i hate 350z the interior its JUST UGLY AS HELL . you gotta love acuras VTEC and the way it sounds. FWD its the only minus for me
I've read of some brake issues w/ 350Z as pads/rotors get used up fast.
You know my wife is trying to sway me toward a G35, but she wants a slushbox as she doesn't drive stick.
Your last statement hit it on the head. Damn Honda/Acura for not making a reasonably priced RWD w/ something like the J series motors in it...that would be a nice drive.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Wait...I just blacked out

I would totally take the Prius over the Scion xb.

wait.

what cars are we comparing again?
Old 02-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by monkeybutt
I've read of some brake issues w/ 350Z as pads/rotors get used up fast.
You know my wife is trying to sway me toward a G35, but she wants a slushbox as she doesn't drive stick.
Your last statement hit it on the head. Damn Honda/Acura for not making a reasonably priced RWD w/ something like the J series motors in it...that would be a nice drive.
you are hella right Acura with RWD or even SH AWD (Super Handling which new TL has) my good friend has G35 its pretty fast but has same issues what 350z has. he just replaced a clutch at 23k. If you really like 350z look find one with brembo brakes they're much better. but in my opinion G35 its the way better bigger and better . its heavier but if i had 2 cars one would be TL type S 06/07 and the second one would be S2000 great car and eats even 350z
Old 02-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Suzuka Master

my friend's G35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw0Nrbnifik
Old 02-07-2009, 06:11 PM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeybutt
I have a CL-S6. I'm gonna keep it, but want something else w/ better handling and same or better power to hobby with. And its gotta be reliable. ya'll got any EDUCATED opinions of a sporty car for about 18k w/ the above criteria?
oooh! well in that case...lol, sorry you made it sound like you were comparing each b/c you were gonna buy one, not that you already had a CL-S6.

and if its EDUCATED comments you want, im sorry, only 100% biased and acura-loyal comments here...

sorry guys, and apologies to that stubborn onese1f...

but 18k, 4th car, and for fun??...get a high mileage E46 M3 or mid mileage E36 M3<--see nothing educated here.

go acura!
Old 02-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChineseGuyinthe415
^he don't done did that? ya fo'sho fo'sho
AFTER READING ALL THIS post i am so so so Confused.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Got a Job!

StreetKA wtf man that was the stupidest fucking video

What was the point of that post?
Old 02-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Sounders FC

IMO the 350Z is a driver's car and a CLS is a passenger's car.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by '01White3.2CL
oooh! well in that case...lol, sorry you made it sound like you were comparing each b/c you were gonna buy one, not that you already had a CL-S6.

and if its EDUCATED comments you want, im sorry, only 100% biased and acura-loyal comments here...

sorry guys, and apologies to that stubborn onese1f...

but 18k, 4th car, and for fun??...get a high mileage E46 M3 or mid mileage E36 M3<--see nothing educated here.

go acura!
You know what I'm gonna research 540i for the eight cylinder and nice non- bangle butt body. Thanks bro.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:19 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
so many gay ass posts in this thread...

my head hurts.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:21 PM
I drive a Subata.

someone compared 335 vs CL.....

WTF
Old 02-07-2009, 07:24 PM

I actually agree with whiteCL, M3's are awesome cars.

But if I may suggest a few options for the OP

For around 18k you can get yourself into a few nice cars.

You could start by considering a B5 Audi S4 (1999-2001)

(my old one..sniff)

Pros: Luxury (Audi, duh), pretty quick right off the bat with around 200awhp and a biturbo V6, (the S4's only come with quattro) and available in an MT/AT trim. Easy to mod, an absolute blast to drive, and has space for stuff.

Cons: Parts + Labor kinda expensive for the noob who doesn't know where to look. Turbo inlet pipe known to go on these things, VERY important to check maintenance records, timing belt + waterpump big deals here.

Apart from that, a simple chip and Tbe would have you VERY VERY happy.

Or,

A Mazda Rx-8!

Pros: Most loaded with leather + navi (Grand Touring/GT trim) which can be had well within your 18k price range with semi-low mileage. An absolute blast to drive, sexy lines + exterior, has functional 4 doors and backseat. Rotary that loves to be revved till 9k.

Cons: Well, its a rotary, which means you'll have to treat it like one. Quart of oil in between every other gas fillup, and stay ontop of your engine oil changes! Blowing apex seals due to poorly lubed rotor and your motor WILL grenade itself. Might want to go with a MT here because the AT's ended up with only one oil cooler, as opposed to the MT's 2. Proper warmup/cooldown for motor, rotaries are very susceptible to flooding. Go for MY's 05+ they tend to have newer PCM flashes.

Although it seems scary, as long as you stay ontop of maintaining it, this car rewards you every time you turn the engine.

Or, you can consider another Audi, but a B7 A4. (05+)

Pros: 2.0t engine is strong as hell. Leather/seatheaters/sunroof/etc etc.., quick car off the bat, MT is fun but auto is nice too, easy to mod and responds well to them, actually has cabin space and cargo room. Reliable motor!

Cons: Besides the actual t-belt waterpump job at 70k miles you really can't go wrong with one of these.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Got a Job!

quick car off the bat, who are you kidding? They're nice cars, but fast they are not. Can they be made fast -- sure, but it's anything but that from the factory (regarding the a4)
Old 02-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Unregistered user

i read this ....

its all preference
Old 02-07-2009, 11:17 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wait, so the OP is worried about reliability and you guys are reccomending Audi's and BMW's? Really?

IMO go get a ZO6 and laugh when some kid in a 350Z wants ANYTHING to do with any sort of competition. Road course, check. Drag strip, double check. Ability to mod to 500+ hp with only bolt-ons, triple check.

Seriously, its a no-brainer.

If I lived in Cali or anywhere that it didnt snow, I'd rock either a Vette or Cobra, or some sort of 400+ hp RWD, manual trans sports car every day. Sorry, but the 350Z is nice for people that like how it looks, how it handles, or that its a "Z". If you are going for performance a Vette takes a shit on it in pretty much every category, for just about the same money.

Nice how we went from comparing the CLS6 to the 350z to the 335i to the S4 to Z06's huh.

And btw there never was a mag comparo between the CL-S6 and the 335i, it was a 330i, and it BARELY beat the CLS6 overall.

Here, read - http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test
Old 02-08-2009, 12:29 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I've driven both (stock) and I liked the 350Z a lot more. The 350Z handles a lot better, feels faster (particularly off the line). Kicking the tail out is too much fun, and not to mention the growl of the VQ exhaust note. The CL-S is a nicer, more comfortable car compared to the G35 and Z.

Of course we all need to take into perspective that this is an Acura website and this thread was probably made in the CL forums, so there's a ton of bias. I'm certain that if you posted this on my350z.com or g35driver that an overwhelming number of members would prefer the Z/G.

As for me, I like how the 350Z sits lower, the seats are lower and the bolsters hold you in nicely but not too aggressively. I think the seats are great, if you didn't notice. I liked neither car's clutch honestly. Too hard to modulate easily on both of them, and the 350Z's was a bit too stiff for my liking. The looks are a toss-up... I like how they both look, and in particular don't really like the ass on either car. Practicality..... the 350Z has a hatch which helps in getting big, awkward objects into the car, but the rear factory STB is big and gets in the way and it doesn't have rear seats so it obviously loses out there. I still prefer the Z though. I haven't driven a G35 coupe but I suspect it'll be a lot closer in performance to the CL-S. Its heavier, doesn't have the rear STB and a few other things, so in that case it'd be strictly preference...

But in the end my favorite (between the G35, CL-S and similar) has to be the E46 coupe. I like everything about it.... the looks, the clutch, the shifter, handling.... its just smooth all around. Though if I had $25k, like Joe said, straight up it would be a no brainer. C5 Z06 ftw! I could care less about heated seats and I actually don't like leather seats - I prefer alcantara or cloth - but that's just me. Its so nice getting into an STi when its 40 degrees and I'm freezing my ass off, and when I sit down the seats don't make it even worse. And the worst of all is when you're driving your car hard..... leather sucks ass at this especially. There's been so many times I've gotten my sack stuck to my thigh.

Originally Posted by Onese1f
Comfort???

Practicality???

/thread
Old 02-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Joe5.0
Wait, so the OP is worried about reliability and you guys are reccomending Audi's and BMW's? Really?

Nice how we went from comparing the CLS6 to the 350z to the 335i to the S4 to Z06's huh.
I was merely suggesting cars that the OP might want to consider for UNDER 18k. Of course you could have a C5 corvette for under 18k but it didn't fit the criteria he mentioned. Have you ever owned any VAG cars? They are actually quite reliable if maintained normally and many in my family have seen over 200kmi+. (I normally stay away from Bimmers so that part of your post technically has nothing to do with me )

Originally Posted by Dem1K
quick car off the bat, who are you kidding? They're nice cars, but fast they are not. Can they be made fast -- sure, but it's anything but that from the factory (regarding the a4)
Wrong. B6 A4's with the 1.8t weren't quick AT ALL from the factory. The 3.0's were semi-quick and were very torquey. The B7 A4's have the 2.0t which I'm sure you know is shared by also the GTi and a few other cars split between the VAG group. A 2.0t from the showroom will walk a chipped 1.8t any day of the week, I never said FAST off the bat, but relatively quick. But it makes up for that shortcoming with a pretty opulent interior, awd, and reliability, so I figured it would be a candidate worthy of a test drive.

Last edited by Onese1f; 02-08-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Never a better time for this pic then this topic...

Originally Posted by JS + TL
so many gay ass posts in this thread...

my head hurts.
I know. I hate that these posts now get moved from the model specific forum (in this case CL). I understand why they want us to... but man, I stay out of those forums for a reason... and now they're in Car Talk

Originally Posted by Joe5.0
Had a 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0T for about 3 years before we traded it in for an A6 last September.

The A4 was trouble-free. The A6 has been in for little things... but much less then my TL-S was... and so far I've never heard of Audi's having tranny issues on a large scale...
Old 02-08-2009, 12:24 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Old 02-08-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by vas25tl
Hate to de-rail the thread again but sweet mother of J33bus, that bacon weave looks incredible
Old 02-08-2009, 06:01 PM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
I have a CL-P! coming home from the north carolina mountain roads today, I raced a slammed 350Z... I outran him

Thats number 4 for 350 and I have 2 G35

CLP<CLS
CLP>350
So that means CLP/CLS>350
Old 02-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Racer

So I spent the afternoon trying out a few different cars at used car dealers. First drive was an '03 C5 Vette which had great torque, good steering/grip and an acceptable ride. However, design execution/ fit & finish not so good as the hood had a real hard time closing on one side, console cover would not latch closed and the car was noisy/squeaky over bumpy roads. And this was a well cared for car w/ 48k miles and not even a single scratch I could find on the silver paint. I'm gonna pass on the Vette 'cause it has a big feel to it and I guess I was expecting a bit more refinement.
Then I tried an '07 G35 w/ auto and the cabin feels crowded. The VQ engine gives nice power and the auto seems tuned for good acceleration from stop. I couldn't really open her up due to traffic. Turn-in is sharp. The ride is pretty jiggly w/ the 19s. This car was okay, but I'm gonna pass.
There was a tuner 350z on the lot w/ a Vortech supercharger, mild body kit and lowered on 19s. This car was scary fast. However it also had been tuned to be hard to live w/ on the street being suspended too harshly and having a damn loud single N1 style exhaust. The guy who built this thing spent a lot of money to make power on an automatic tranny which will probably break w/ the abuse.
Lastly, I tried out an '06 Miata which looked cool, has RWD and transitions well. This newer model is supposed to be more refined than past models, but this thing is a noisy and shaky ride, so shaky that I told the dealer that the car either needs an alignment or the tires aren't balanced. Turns out the tires were just replaced and they think their tire guy didn't balance them.
This car has only 21k miles and is super clean. Weird. Anyway while the engine is okay peppy at 170hp in a light package it is still a four w/o much torque. Maybe if it had the high end kick of VTEC it would be an acceptable trade off. Funny small engines that you have to drive like you are mad has gotten me into more trouble (speeding) than a torquier faster car would. Pass again.
I didn't get to drive a normal/stock 350Z, but I did get to sit in a new 350 on the showroom floor and I like that the cabin seems roomier than the G35 and I don't mind the more spartan interior as the materials feel durable. The Z seems more purpose built for performance as that huge freakin' rear bar asserts. It has nice 6 cyl power, Rwd, I fit well, and will be able to put huge 275/40/18s out back. I'm gonna try to drive one tomorrow.
After the test drives I really appreciate my CL-S6 and even my old TL a lot more. As my wife came w/ me for the drives she can't figure out why I want another car...she may have a point.

Last edited by monkeybutt; 02-08-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:25 AM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by davepaul033
your a fake sports car!

ahhh haha my favorite come back.... calling them what they just said hehe classic
Old 02-10-2009, 07:13 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Apples and Oranges gentlemen.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
My head hurts from reading this thread.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
wow and this is without an rsx forum.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:15 AM
I drive a Subata.

bacon?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by nbennettksu
I have a CL-P! coming home from the north carolina mountain roads today, I raced a slammed 350Z... I outran him

Thats number 4 for 350 and I have 2 G35

CLP<CLS< p> CLP>350
So that means CLP/CLS>350
Did the 350z driver look like this?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Race Director

ok so far...a CL-S is comparable to a 335i, and a CLP is regularly destroying 350z's and G35's. lol.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:38 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Whole lotta fail in here.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroday
ok so far...a CL-S is comparable to a 335i, and a CLP is regularly destroying 350z's and G35's. lol.
Damn this thread is retarded. I actually lost IQ points going through all the posts.

350Z>*
Old 02-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by surfer rick
Damn this thread is retarded. I actually lost IQ points going through all the posts.

350Z>*
For the prices you can pick one up for, maybe. Few late model cars sport that much go for so little green.

Quick Reply: Compare 350Z w/ CL-S6.