Cleaning your headliner

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning your headliner

When I purchased my 04 TL It was evident the previous original owner did not care about keeping it clean and he had no qualms about smoking like a chimney in the car. The smoke smell was very bad and I could see the sitt everywhere. So I did some research on cleaning headliners and what to do and not do. Through trial and error I found some good options for everyone to try with their own car. First and foremost do not soak the headliner it will get loose start hanging and then you have problems. I also suggest that you don't spray cleaner directly on the headliner rather spray on a rag or towel and the wipe back and forth or blott if you gave more time.

I first used a carpet cleaner with the brush on the end. This was a bad idea it was too abrasive and left dirty water spots that looked horrible. Then I used armour all CLEANING wipes not the protector wipes. I used a wipe back and forth motion with medium pressure. These worked pretty well. You could see the dirt on the wipes and they were disposable, the downside was they are small and you go through them quick. I researched again and found two items which I highly recommend. The first us windex, yes windex I sprayed it on a towel and wiped back and forth it cleaned it very well and left no water spots or residue. In addition the vinegar and ammonia seemed to neutralize the smoke odor. I noticed a huge decrease in the cigarette smell. Plus if you overspray it is pretty safe for most fabrics and surfaces.

More research, I read that there have been great results with a cleaner called folex carpet cleaner. Sold at lowes and home depot in a spray bottle for about $5.65. This was my favorite of all the products. It is very safe on all surfaces it cleans very well leaves no water spots or residue and left I mild clean scent. This removed the tough stains the windex could not. again I sprayed it on a towel and wiped back and forth with medium pressure. Finally I was satisfied with the headliner it looked new smelled clean and I did not damage it. To finish off the job I sprayed the headliner with mcquiares odor eliminator. Again spraying on cloth and wiping. It initially has a smell but subsides after one day. This product neutralizes the cigarette odor, and doesn't just cover it up like febreze. Ok guys hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
also concluded @ folex after some trial and error.

my headliner is practically white with the texture of a soft felt. i drive with all 4 windows and sunroof open 300 days out of the year. gets dirty FAST.

folx is good sprayed on a rag, but will need to be sprayed on directly and left to dry in concentrated dirtied areas, like front of B-pillar.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 04-30-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
http://www.detailking.com/content/view/190/280/

All i use is that, once a year my carpet looks new.