Checkout "Speed" magazine...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 06:56 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
notice that no pictures of the rear are shown...thats where the volvo totally f***ed up IMO....its so damn ugly....and the interior...my lord...i feel like im looking at a Ford Taurus of the future...
Old 10-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by icex731
notice that no pictures of the rear are shown...thats where the volvo totally f***ed up IMO....its so damn ugly....and the interior...my lord...i feel like im looking at a Ford Taurus of the future...
I agree this is the least attractive part of the car.

Old 10-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
OK, move this Volvo thread to Cars & Bikes...
Old 10-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jhunter9999
It's a Ford.
Ford owns Volvo. So what's your point?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Its funny how some will say "well, the Volvo is safer"

BZZZT! Both the TL and Volvo get a 5 star safety rating.

As for ergonomics, lets face it.. that Volvo dash is just cluttered with buttons. The Japanese own everyone else on this.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Its funny how some will say "well, the Volvo is safer"

BZZZT! Both the TL and Volvo get a 5 star safety rating.

Yeah, in a nice controlled identical impact. In the real world, I'd rather be in the Volvo. Boron steel in the front impact area, engine far back in the bay and part of the impact dissipation system, doors unlock upon impact and the battery's disconnected and flashers turned on, WHIPS allows the seat backs to deform gradually to prevent whiplash, laminated side glass to prevent ejection and minimize the chance of being cut, and On Call Plus (OnStar) has a center mounted aux battery and detectors throughout the car not tied to the air bags. In a "real" vs. "staged" crash - I'll take the Volvo.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Whatever...

You don't think Honda/Acura has anything similar or indentical to all those?

"Boron steel in the front impact area, engine far back in the bay and part of the impact dissipation system, doors unlock upon impact and the battery's disconnected and flashers turned on, WHIPS allows the seat backs to deform gradually to prevent whiplash, laminated side glass to prevent ejection and minimize the chance of being cut, and On Call Plus (OnStar) has a center mounted aux battery and detectors throughout the car not tied to the air bags. In a "real" vs. "staged" crash - I'll take the Volvo"

The Accord/TL use very similar technologies.

Boron steel? Check.

Engine mounted far back? Check.

Doors unlock? Check.

Laminated side glass? Check.

Onstar? (RL has it)

Aux battery for safety systems? Check.

The only things I can see where the Volvo is "ahead" is Onstar and the seats. But I'm quite certain Honda does the research necessary for good seats. They have the world's largest crash testing facilities and the most advanced dummies. In addition, the new ACE system minimizes impact on other vehicles and pedestrians.

So... my point remains. Volvo is no longer the safety king it once was. Toyota and Honda have caught up and Honda now has the most 5 star safety rated cars.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Whatever...

You don't think Honda/Acura has anything similar or indentical to all those?

"Boron steel in the front impact area, engine far back in the bay and part of the impact dissipation system, doors unlock upon impact and the battery's disconnected and flashers turned on, WHIPS allows the seat backs to deform gradually to prevent whiplash, laminated side glass to prevent ejection and minimize the chance of being cut, and On Call Plus (OnStar) has a center mounted aux battery and detectors throughout the car not tied to the air bags. In a "real" vs. "staged" crash - I'll take the Volvo"

The Accord/TL use very similar technologies.

Boron steel? Check.

Engine mounted far back? Check.

Doors unlock? Check.

Laminated side glass? Check.

Onstar? (RL has it)

Aux battery for safety systems? Check.

The only things I can see where the Volvo is "ahead" is Onstar and the seats. But I'm quite certain Honda does the research necessary for good seats. They have the world's largest crash testing facilities and the most advanced dummies. In addition, the new ACE system minimizes impact on other vehicles and pedestrians.

So... my point remains. Volvo is no longer the safety king it once was. Toyota and Honda have caught up and Honda now has the most 5 star safety rated cars.
Hope neither of us has to find out. You're wrong about the laminated side windows. And OnStar doesn't have an auxilary battery and is only activated when an air bag goes off which does you no good if you're rear ended.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Consumer Reports only recommended one of these cars and it's not the Volvo. In fact Consumer Reports has not recommended a Volvo for the last 5 years. Honda and Acura are always on that list. The Acura also has greater resale.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DownUnder
Ford owns Volvo. So what's your point?

exactly--there are so many ignorant comments on this board...it's starting to sound like a "bmw forum"
Old 10-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One other thing the article gave the Volvo props for was the amazing adjustable suspension. You can change it on the fly. There are three settings. Comfort,sport, and advanced. They say there is a very noticeable difference between them. Sounds cool? I guess the advanced is super stiff with no roll whatsoever.