Changes to the S4

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changes to the S4

Since the CL-S6 left me I ended up making a few small changes to the S4.

First though, I talked to the guy that bought the CL-S6 and he is loving it. So much that he got a ticket for 84 in a 55.

Back to the S4. About a month ago I installed the APR center vent mount boost gauge:

I liked the looks of the APR unit better than the others out there. When using the red rubber on the bulb, the color matches the factory perfectly. It is pretty cool as it is almost overlooked in the car and when seen does not appear to non-stock to many. Just a very clean install. In fact, I went to the dealer for some minor fixes and they service writer never noticed it until I mentioned it. The team leader in the shop did notice it and asked questions about the install. This conversation continued for a while about these cars and Audi's acceptance of modifications. When chips came up I told him I knew they frowned upon them. His response was that it depends on who you talk to.

While back in the shop, and they pretty much let me roam freely asking question to whoever (I was very pleased with their willingness to talk and show me around, very professional yet personable) they had an A6 2.7t in which had blown a timing belt and needed head work (user error according to them). To get the heads off they have to pull nearly the whole front clip off the car (same as the S4). The reason being is that you can't get the exhaust manifolds off without pulling the engine which requires pulling the transmission and basically the whole front end from below. This allowed me a good look at the engine, etc. Below are some pics I found of a turbo swap:

The dealer quoted 25 hours to perform a swap at $95/hr. :ouch:

The car is doing well and with some recent rain I do love the additional traction. But as with any car, more power is always desired. So once the CL-S6 was gone, a chip was immediately ordered. Actually a chip and ECU were purchased so it can be sent back and not be down when future changes are made. I ended up going with GIAC and am very happy with the purchase. I had heard of surging due to over boosting with the GIAC X chip which I did experience. I also heard that they subdue after a few days once the ECU adjusts to the boost control solenoid's response which has also occurred for the most part. But I also ordered a manual boost control valves to eliminate any possibility of spikes in the future.

Stock the car would spike to about 9 PSI and drop to about 7.5 in the upper revs. Now it hits 19 and drops to about 15 in the upper revs. This adds about 110 lb/ft of torque for $1200, not too bad at all considering what I paid for headers in the past.

As for feeling, it is great. The torque is tremendous at all speeds but most noticeable in low speed operation. I can actually stand on it in 1st or 2nd and leap forward. That is something I couldn't do in the SC/IC CL-S6 without massive wheel spin. Plus, the torque comes on much lower and at a more useable range in the S4. According to other dyno (I will be doing one soon) plots, I should have in the 310 - 320 WTQ range peak. This is more than I had in the CL-S and at a lower RPM.

However, the CL-S SC/IC would still destroy this car once traction is attained. The torque drops off quickly still. It is still strong at the upper revs but nothing like the CL-S SC/IC was. But in around town driving this is actually better as I get the rush in sooner and won't rev as high to get the most Gs.

What's next, down pipes are for sure and then an exhaust. After that I will be planning the next big steps if I decide to go through with it. There are two possibilities, go with AWE's K04 kit. Or do something custom with GT28R turbos. That will be a year or so down the road though and I have plenty of time. Heck, I might be satisfied with what I have one the DPs and exhaust are installed.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:25 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
nice. didnt you say that you'd leave this one stock?
Old 12-23-2004, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
looking good captain!
Old 12-23-2004, 09:37 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats, u got the 2 kids seats in the back??
Old 12-23-2004, 10:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts
wow that is a nasty looking engine

the boost gauge dont look stock either
Old 12-23-2004, 11:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bigman
Mostly, but some simple thing which are reasonably priced are hard to pass up.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by darrinb
congrats, u got the 2 kids seats in the back??
Naw, they stay in the Sienna. It will be a while before the twins ride in the Audi. That is not to say they haven't played around in there. I put them in the back seat while cleaning the front and they had a ball; something new and different
Old 12-24-2004, 12:13 AM
Has been sold for a while

Are you still considering investing in rims? These iforged look nice IMO.

Old 12-24-2004, 03:39 AM
goldmemberererer

Originally Posted by bigman
Yeah right! Leave that monster's potential untapped? Who is that crazy?
Old 12-24-2004, 06:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by J.T.'s 3.2TL
Are you still considering investing in rims? These iforged look nice IMO.
Yep, and I do like the looks of those.