cars and houses

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:00 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
i personnaly see nothing wrong with having an above average car in an average driveway. Where i live has nothing to do with what cars i like...
Old 08-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Money is funny.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadzilla
When LaVar Arrington first signed with the Redskins, he bought one of these standard cookie cutter townhouses that are littered all over the Northern Virginia area. They are nice, but nothing special. Anyways, you could see his house from a main roadway, and he would always, ALWAYS, leave his Ferrari 360 Modena Spider sitting in the driveway. Rain or shine. Those cars had just come out, and those townhouses were worth about $300,000. So his car was worth about half of the value of his house. But that didn't stop him from buying it. So I say, if LaVar can do it, so can you
that's kinda funny...but if arrington can do it...then shit...lol...

yummy, living on your own FTW!!! Luckily (or unluckily) my dad was a very strict asian man who beat the piss outta me everytime I was about to make a stupid decision...so everytime I thought about something stupid, I remember the blinding pain I used to get on my backside as a kid...lol...

iamandypark...thanx for the directions!!! That's actually not too far from our new house at all, prolly a 15-20 min drive at most. Right by Methacton, right? good lookout btw! You gonna be in it?
Old 08-16-2007, 08:15 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was talking to an older friend about this last evening, by older I mean in his mid 60's. His exact quote was "I don't think anyone ever is laying on their death bed thinking having that porsche in my 20's was a bad idea"

He is jew like myself, and we have a reputation for being stingy bastards but life should be enjoyed how you best see it. There is really no point of creating wealth if you have no plan what to do with it, be it a car, a house or giving it to acurazine, you should have an idea of what your working for. As long as you never lose sight of that and keep working to achieve your goals you should be happy.

I bring this up, as the devils advocate, because much like most of you I have been saving and saving for a while and am only a few short days from a very sizable closing and my financial adviser is telling me to adjust my spending habits, that I don't need to save near as much and should be spending more how I see fit. He knows I am not the type to go to vegas and drop $100k on gambling though if I want something, he feels I am in a position to do what makes me happy(with in reason). Its hard to shift the mind set from save save save, to buy what you want and keep doing what your doing. As much fun as saving is, the flexibility and comfort of living your dreams is much more fun - your dreams need not be tangible things either, just as car guys its what we think of first.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Money is funny.

Originally Posted by Tireguy
I was talking to an older friend about this last evening, by older I mean in his mid 60's. His exact quote was "I don't think anyone ever is laying on their death bed thinking having that porsche in my 20's was a bad idea"

He is jew like myself, and we have a reputation for being stingy bastards but life should be enjoyed how you best see it. There is really no point of creating wealth if you have no plan what to do with it, be it a car, a house or giving it to acurazine, you should have an idea of what your working for. As long as you never lose sight of that and keep working to achieve your goals you should be happy.

I bring this up, as the devils advocate, because much like most of you I have been saving and saving for a while and am only a few short days from a very sizable closing and my financial adviser is telling me to adjust my spending habits, that I don't need to save near as much and should be spending more how I see fit. He knows I am not the type to go to vegas and drop $100k on gambling though if I want something, he feels I am in a position to do what makes me happy(with in reason). Its hard to shift the mind set from save save save, to buy what you want and keep doing what your doing. As much fun as saving is, the flexibility and comfort of living your dreams is much more fun - your dreams need not be tangible things either, just as car guys its what we think of first.
It IS very difficult to get out of the saving mentality...everytime I have any extra cash, away it goes...I guess I just need to let it sink in that we don't need to save a hard as we have been...I'm always paranoid that one unexpected day I will lose like an arm in an accident or something and will have to pay a lot to fix myself..I know..it's REALLY out there, but that's what inspired me to save so much so many years ago...lol...although you are right, I probably won't regret owning a porsche in my 20's...everytime I come across a pre-owned one my blood begins to stir... I am living my dream right now (sorta..being self employed and all...) just need to find some more that are a little further out there I guess...I think this has inspired me to start another thread..
Old 08-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,769 Likes on 13,963 Posts
Originally Posted by poohlikeshunny
...I think this has inspired me to start another thread..
"How many robots I can buy with XYZ amount...?"

Old 08-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Money is funny.

Originally Posted by Yumchah
"How many robots I can buy with XYZ amount...?"

"If I traded in an SC300 and an Accord, will that be enough to buy a life sized convertible wing zero?"
Old 08-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by poohlikeshunny
"If I traded in an SC300 and an Accord, will that be enough to buy a life sized convertible wing zero?"
Awesome. Now go start that thread.

Well, I'm guessing you've sorta come to your "senses" so to speak and dropped the idea of spending a sizeable chunk of your livelihood on a depreciating bucket of bolts...?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Money is funny.

Awesome. Now go start that thread.

Well, I'm guessing you've sorta come to your "senses" so to speak and dropped the idea of spending a sizeable chunk of your livelihood on a depreciating bucket of bolts...?
yeah, lol...she agreed if I buy her a prius, my next car after this one can be whatever i want. So she got a black prius and I am looking for something to replace the SC now that it's all fixed up. Since we bought her a prius brand new from the dealer, it only leaves me about 33k to find something...which I think I can find somethign nice used, but it kinda pulls me out of the "realm" of cars I was droolin over...so the hunt continues...anyone sellin a cl-s6 or g35c with navi?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Wait...aren't you driving around in a Tundra...? Why do you need to change cars again...?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Money is funny.

^ Wait...aren't you driving around in a Tundra...? Why do you need to change cars again...?
lol...i have a TL and an older SC, she has a ridgeline and a prius (av6 for sale). SC is my DD, TL is gonna be around for awhile as it was the first luxury car i bought for myself and not for profit. The accord is nearing 200k and the SC is getting up there too, so she wanted to get out of that soon. Between us we had two coupes, a truck and a sedan. But we wanted to round it out so we have a convertible, a sedan, a coupe and a truck. You now, one for every occasion. Now we have two sedans and a truck, and are looking to sell the SC and AV6 to put towards my car. Pretty much just a change in scenery. If we HAD to, i think both of our DD's could prolly go well over 200k, but I'm anal and don't like owning a car with that many miles...
Old 08-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Why do you have 4 vehicles, dude? Isn't that a huge burden of insurance and extra costs...? I'd drop 2 of them and just have the one each for you and the missus.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Money is funny.

^ Why do you have 4 vehicles, dude? Isn't that a huge burden of insurance and extra costs...? I'd drop 2 of them and just have the one each for you and the missus.
One of our dreams as a couple was to have a vehicle for each occasion, truck for hauling, sedan for family trips, convertible for nice days, and a coupe to round it out. The av6 was originally her moms and was "free", and the SC paid for itself moer or less. The truck and sedan alway come in handy, now that she has a prius, i guess we can take extra the coupe out of the picture.