Car for a 17 year old

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Boondocks fanatic.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by te3point5
get kid a piece of shit car for 3 reasons

1) he's still learning to drive, and will most likely fuck it up anyway.

2) If he/she's in college, other college kids will fuck it up.

3) If he/she's in college, they generally for the most part do not need a car.

buying a nice car in college is a waste... Save the money for after college to buy a nice car.
Bingo! I had a POS (81 caprice station wagon) in college and I still got much p***y.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:03 PM
TL no more!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on your full ride!! I wish I could get something like that (I got half so it wasn't bad at all).

I graduated from college last Christmas and here's what I have observed. I owned an Explorer Eddie Bauer during my college years and it was insanely practical. One...I have haul my entire dorm room for the fall and moving back home for the summer, with room to spare. Two...I can haul my drunk ass friends home after parties. Three...I always have a blanket or two laying around so if my girl and I get a little horny, we can fold down the rear seat and we have plenty of room to do "whatever" (sex sucks in my Acura ). Four...since my Explorer had 4x4, it was a huge help for me to get around town if needed. So I had that kind of money to get a TL or G35 coupe, I would pick an SUV like the MDX, for example.

Now that I've graduated, that's why I chose to trade the Explorer in and get my TL.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by m&b6speed
anyone else confused here.
1. are you 17 or is it for your son?
I am 17
Old 07-28-2005, 11:54 PM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if u not payin for the maintenance and insurance, id just get it. But if so, stick with some shit thats easy to take care of and cost efficient.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:31 AM
Comptech Freak

i have to agree that a new driver should start with a POS

i had the buick regal as my first car b4 i got the TL at 18

for the 1st yr i thought i was pretty good but in fact my driving was sooo awful when i think backward

get to learn to handle a car first, then get sth nice
Old 07-29-2005, 12:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

g35Coupe...
though i am lucky i didnt get a nicer car as my first car... couple weeks after i got a POS chrysler i rear-ended somebody.. thank God it wasnt my TL..
Old 07-29-2005, 12:42 AM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by big mike 13
g35Coupe...
though i am lucky i didnt get a nicer car as my first car... couple weeks after i got a POS chrysler i rear-ended somebody.. thank God it wasnt my TL..
that's good

never start with a nice car, it would be safe to have one yr driving with a POS b4 u switch, just to make sure you can handle the road well
Old 07-29-2005, 12:58 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by samkws
i have to agree that a new driver should start with a POS

i had the buick regal as my first car b4 i got the TL at 18

for the 1st yr i thought i was pretty good but in fact my driving was sooo awful when i think backward

get to learn to handle a car first, then get sth nice
I've never understood this mentality of starting with a crappy car. If you have money, why not get something new, even if it is a new Civic? For 2006 all Hondas will have the full array of airbags and other safety features.

But back on topic, I think the TL is better suited to cold weather than the G.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:09 AM
Disinformation Terminator

TL. Better in bad weather, and much less likely to get ripped off down the line.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:51 AM
Luke 1:37

Originally Posted by Sclass88
Get a TSX.. its cheaper than both the TL or G35, just as safe, more fun to drive, and girls our age LOVE it. My

Get the TSX and put on some nice mods with the $5K you save, ie. OEM Body Kit, Aftermarket Wheels, Suspension, etc...

The TSX modded looks much better IMO than a TL modded. But...if you have the opportunity to get the G35 Coupe, I'd definitely go with that. You're young, so you might as well have a fun car to have before you have to move onto a sedan, SUV or Minivan...
Old 07-29-2005, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by youngTL
I've never understood this mentality of starting with a crappy car. If you have money, why not get something new, even if it is a new Civic? For 2006 all Hondas will have the full array of airbags and other safety features.

Well I think it's a good way to start a kid off with humility and responsibility instead of cockiness and haughtiness. Of course I think the car should be safe and in good running condition. I'm overall a fan of larger cars and ideally a diesel. I thought my friend's 1989 MB diesel M300 (I think) was the best starter car. Big, safe, heavier than a tank, slow as hell, and a pretty nice looking ride to get chicks and props (this was back in 1996 mind you).

Of course, if you are Paris Hilton or a billionaire, then yes, money isn't the issue but I'd still get my child used to the idea that he/she has to learn to make her own keep instead of counting on the inheritance to live off of.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:06 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I'd get a Civic or Accord or equivalently priced/featured car. No need for a luxury car at 17, that'll just get abused.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:42 PM
Advanced

it won't be abused I take of all the cars my family owns and value cars very highly...there is no way I would abuse a TL or g35 whichever i decide on
Old 07-29-2005, 12:51 PM
The hair says it all

ok

1) everyone at my school (its vandy what do you expect) rolls around in g35's. i would listen to everyone and say that the g35 is too nice. remember that this car will most likely be parked outside in the winter months. i have my 3.0cl and am kinda pissed because i need to spend a ton of money on a covered garage (i refuse to have a semi nice car waste away in blazing sun and occasional insane rain)

i would advise something cheaper but still with a pimp factor. also, at college even if you respect your car not everyone will.

2) i an with youngtl on this one, taurus is a POS compared to what an accord for the same price
Old 07-29-2005, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by SDCGTSX
Well I think it's a good way to start a kid off with humility and responsibility instead of cockiness and haughtiness. Of course I think the car should be safe and in good running condition. I'm overall a fan of larger cars and ideally a diesel. I thought my friend's 1989 MB diesel M300 (I think) was the best starter car. Big, safe, heavier than a tank, slow as hell, and a pretty nice looking ride to get chicks and props (this was back in 1996 mind you).

Of course, if you are Paris Hilton or a billionaire, then yes, money isn't the issue but I'd still get my child used to the idea that he/she has to learn to make her own keep instead of counting on the inheritance to live off of.
You're right about starting off with humility instead of cockiness. But there's no reason a brand new I4 Accord EX-L (with 5spd manual so they learn how to drive it) wouldn't be one of the best choices out there.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Python2121
ok

1) everyone at my school (its vandy what do you expect) rolls around in g35's. i would listen to everyone and say that the g35 is too nice. remember that this car will most likely be parked outside in the winter months. i have my 3.0cl and am kinda pissed because i need to spend a ton of money on a covered garage (i refuse to have a semi nice car waste away in blazing sun and occasional insane rain)

i would advise something cheaper but still with a pimp factor. also, at college even if you respect your car not everyone will.

2) i an with youngtl on this one, taurus is a POS compared to what an accord for the same price
to both of those. Number 1 - why worry about the car at school? Expensive cars cause more stress when you're in a busy area.

Number 2 - I agree. I have never in my life heard anyone claim a Taurus was a better car than an Accord! That's the most ludicrous claim ever.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Banned

get it when you graduate.

reasons....

ppl are going to key your car / dent your car. gauranteed
possibly get a window smashed.
everyone driving at nite is drunk.
friends will be puking in your car.
cigarette holes.
you cant haul shit back and forth.

wait till you graduate dude.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:40 PM
Banned

this is why i have a leased Jeep up at school. i let my CL stay at home. and within a yr of having it at school, it has about 4 door dings. a scratch running down the whole side. 3 cig holes. hood is all fucked up from drunk kids jumping on it at parties. ppl have puked all over the side of it on 3 occasions.

plus i need the cargo space and 4wd to go upstate to school
Old 07-29-2005, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jaydef03
this is why i have a leased Jeep up at school. i let my CL stay at home. and within a yr of having it at school, it has about 4 door dings. a scratch running down the whole side. 3 cig holes. hood is all fucked up from drunk kids jumping on it at parties. ppl have puked all over the side of it on 3 occasions.

plus i need the cargo space and 4wd to go upstate to school
You should never get cigarette burns! Clearly you should not allow smoking in your car. All of my friends know I think smoking is gross and simply will not allow it.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Pro

dude...DONT GET A g35!!!!...its gonna attract alot of attention in the college parkinglot...which is NOT a good thing

drunk college kids plus parking lots are a bad thing...ive seen many nice cars get fucked up....one kid had a nice ass STI and i saw some jealous dude back his suv into it and drove off, ive seen kids jumping on cars, pising on cars, silly stringing, barfing, throwing beer bottles, everything you can imagine

if i was you...and your parents were plunkin down 30k for a car...get an SUV....like a GMC YUKON or Tahoe...they are rugged and can hold alotta bitches.....plus if your getting pussy and your roomates in the room you can always just use the yukon

but if anything, get the TL, they have good HP, very luxerious...and are not as flashy but are still sexy as fuck
Old 07-29-2005, 11:19 PM
Comptech Freak

it's not about that

in case you have accident with the POS you won't be that painful with ur wallet, and trust me, you will get to drive properly coz a POS cannot do much with no drama
Old 07-29-2005, 11:24 PM
Comptech Freak

You're right about starting off with humility instead of cockiness. But there's no reason a brand new I4 Accord EX-L (with 5spd manual so they learn how to drive it) wouldn't be one of the best choices out there.
a POS might cost less than 5k and with 3rd party insurance is not expensive

a new I4 accord EX-L = 30000 CAD plus insurance is very expensive

plus as i said, you can't do much shit with a POS, its not fast, can't corner and shit so they wont' go anywhere fast

i have seen a few stories that their parents bought BMW for their kids then watched their kids crashed and died in the BMW, not just BMW, but some other expensive cars as well
Old 07-30-2005, 01:47 AM
The hair says it all

a POS might cost less than 5k and with 3rd party insurance is not expensive

a new I4 accord EX-L = 30000 CAD plus insurance is very expensive

plus as i said, you can't do much shit with a POS, its not fast, can't corner and shit so they wont' go anywhere fast

i have seen a few stories that their parents bought BMW for their kids then watched their kids crashed and died in the BMW, not just BMW, but some other expensive cars as well
i really think that you can easily find a mid mileage accord for about 5,000. you can get the accords and civic used at the same price as a taurus and you get a much better car for the money
Old 07-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Racer

how about a 1999 Acura TL. my first car was a 1991 Cutlass Surpreme w/sport package, cardinal red 4 door. i put on sporty rims and man that was a great car. i drove it a year and decided to upgrade. i looked at accords but when i saw my ssm TL at the little car lot. i knew that was the one i wanted. i truly believe that i am one of the most blessed individuals for being able to enjoy driving a nice car. Honestly the best thing to do is to get an older tl and invest the money.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:35 PM
buy my car

you may think now that you will be driving a lot at college, but face it, you'll be out drinking, having a good time, no need to drive at all. you wont want to drive, especially a nice car cause a.) everyone will want to be in your car, b.) this means you drive, which leads to trouble on a college campus, and you not having as good of a time if you want to be responsible c.) like stated before, it becomes a target for drunk, ignorant, spiteful, and the parallel parking challenged.

my brother went a way to Penn State and put 6500 miles on in 4 years, never drove on campus and those miles are the 250+ miles each way home for whatever only.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Safety Car

you may think now that you will be driving a lot at college, but face it, you'll be out drinking, having a good time, no need to drive at all. you wont want to drive, especially a nice car cause a.) everyone will want to be in your car, b.) this means you drive, which leads to trouble on a college campus, and you not having as good of a time if you want to be responsible c.) like stated before, it becomes a target for drunk, ignorant, spiteful, and the parallel parking challenged.

my brother went a way to Penn State and put 6500 miles on in 4 years, never drove on campus and those miles are the 250+ miles each way home for whatever only.
Commuting sure, get a nice highway cruizer. On campus, no. My car was run into so many times just parking on campus, people in a rush to get to class, fitting their car into spots that they don't fit etc. = a lot of rubbing on a paint job. When its a cheap car who cares, I rubbed them back. hah.

2nd u live on campus which makes this completely ridiculous, I don't even see a need for a car other than to go home and come back unless u want to be the guy that picks up all his drunk friends, makes beer runs, drives his friends to the store etc. Living in the dorms, dude, get dropped off and leave it at that.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:19 AM
Advanced

Do you think the accord would be a good car to just commute to school with? I probably will not drive it while on campus but a car to drive back and forth from school and home with, and just keep the TL at home?
Old 07-31-2005, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by BigB270
Do you think the accord would be a good car to just commute to school with? I probably will not drive it while on campus but a car to drive back and forth from school and home with, and just keep the TL at home?
I definitely think so! I mean an Accord is good, it has most of the cabin comforts, a nice drive, good on gas (I-4 w/VTEC & 5spd manual), and it's not too expensive if it gets damaged. If you think a new Accord is too much money, then try a slightly used one. You can pick up a 2003 for a good price. Even in LX trim it's a great commuter car. And it's unlikely to attract attention in sedan form. People generally leave Accord sedans alone. They also handle alright.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:42 AM

it's not about that

in case you have accident with the POS you won't be that painful with ur wallet, and trust me, you will get to drive properly coz a POS cannot do much with no drama
Yes, but there's no reason it has to be a POS. That's the point. A Toyota Corolla LE goes nowhere fast, can't corner worth shit, and is relatively inexpensive if you get a 2002 or 2003. If you crash it, so what, it wasn't that much. And it will not have a huge chance of leaving you stranded (Taurus, Intrepid, Sunfire, Grand Am all come to mind)
Old 07-31-2005, 10:20 AM
Advanced

it's not too expensive if it gets damaged. If you think a new Accord is too much money, then try a slightly used one. You can pick up a 2003 for a good price. Even in LX trim it's a great commuter car.
I already have one...it is what i drive now but thank you for the opionions I think that might be what I will do.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Congrats, if my kid got a full ride to college I'd buy him any car he wanted.

So where are you going to school? Tech, UVA, JMU, WVU? I can tell you right now that everything everybody else has said about having a nice car at school is somewhat true, there will be drunk/stupid/jealous people who won't give two shits about fuckin with your car. But, most likely you'll be going to a school with thousands of students, alot of whom will have nice cars, so you won't necessarily stick out like a sore thumb everywhere you go. Where you go to school, and also how much you drive while you're down there, will be factor. Also, you do want to make sure you have a car that has enough room to haul stuff back and forth, cause over long breaks you might want to bring alot of your shit back home with you. The TL is a good choice I think. Roomy, luxorious, won't attract TOO much attention, and will be good in the snow (MDX would work too if you aren't too intent on having a fast car). If you want something a little more sportier, maybe give the G35 Sedan a shot. You'd get alot of pussy with a Bimmer. An EVO without the wing wouldn't attract much attention, it woud be fast as fuck, and would have room to haul stuff (and be good in the snow with the right tires). Shit theres a lot of choices out there. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2005, 01:18 PM
Instructor

or how about you wait till the first semester is over. if you think you need a car then, then get one. and only see how the other cars on campus are faring up to the college atmosphere.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:45 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BigB270
are you living on campus? it might be a good idea to take the accord to school. it gets good milage and it has enough room to haul things back and forth. get a feel for how things are at school before you leave a nicer car there. and besides, you're only three hours from school so you can always switch cars when you visit home.

i agree with others about drunken or jealous shitheads at school. my cl was one of the nicer cars at school and some motherfucker keyed half the car. at random times i'd find shit like empty coffee cups and shit left on the hood. oh and my commute to school was over 2200 miles each way so i needed a good, dependable car comfy enough for long hauls (i've made about six round trips in 3 years.)

oh and congrats on the full ride!
Old 08-01-2005, 02:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts

...i go to penn state too, this is pure truth. hell, even i have puked on cars from a balcony while drunk at apartment parties
Old 08-01-2005, 05:02 AM
Pro

yea man....owning a car isnt exactly the best thing in college...after a few months of having to drive drunk friends around and worrying about DUIs i started making other people drive

worrying about a nice car sucks...i used to park my car in an upper lot visible to my window so that i could look out and check on it....nothing bad ever really happened to it except some would draw penises and shit in the dust on the windows
Old 08-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Dang.

Having just graduated in May, I have the same car since my Junior year of high school - 96 Jeep Cherokee Country. I went to UConn (obviously) and wasn't allowed to have a car on campus until I was a junior. When I got the Jeep, there were maybe 2 dents on the door, a few scratches from people's rings near the door handles, and the back corners on the bumper were scratched up. I am really AR when it comes to taking care of it, even though it wasn't perfect when I got it.

Bringing it to school was the WORST thing that happened to my Jeep. You will learn to appreciate driveways and open parking spots IN GENERAL once you get to college. Most of the time, you won't be able to find a parking spot anywhere near your dorm, especially if you go to a large school. This means that you won't have your car in eyesight even from your room...sometimes, you're so busy with school and have no time/need to go to the Y-lot that's a 10 minute walk from your dorm, you won't see your car for DAYS. Then when you do get your car, you find out that some asshole who parked next to you at some point in that time that your car was in a lot has white/red/black paint. And chances are, the car that's in the spot next to you now is green. Let alone the people who chose to get drunk and take their aggression out on a car...nice ones are targeted more, but it can really happen to any innocent car sitting in a lot where people are walking.

I don't mean to rant, I just get angry when I look at my car at how ignorant people are. I know that whoever is reading this is probably thinking, "Ha, '96 Jeep, wtf is she complaining about? That's a beater compared to what we're talking about." True it's a beater to some, but who's to say that I didn't work my ass off to buy my own car when I was 17? Since I got it, I have parked in every corner spot as close to the curb w/out getting curb rash as possible, I wash it by hand, if there was a spot in front of my apartment that I knew the car next to me would damage my car b/c a. it was parked way too far over the line or b. I knew that it's driver hits shit all the time, I would not park there and walk the extra 500ft to park it in a safer spot. I take really good care of my car.

The point is, no matter how cautious you are - it's no guarantee that your car is going to be safe. A new flashy car is awesome and congrats for the full ride and that's great how supportive your parents are, but the flashy ones are DEFINITELY targeted by jealous assholes with no respect for other people's property. In my opinion, see if they will take that money and invest it into something else so that instead of losing money on a nice car that you're thinking of leaving at home. Trust me, you do not want to go to college to come back home on the weekends to drive a car. If you leave it sitting in the driveway, it's just going to lose value. You have a nice car now that gets good mileage and is in no way a POS. If you invest that money, it will earn money for you without you doing anything, so that when you graduate in 4 years, you'll have the orginal $35k-ish PLUS whatever interest that has earned. You and your friend have said that you're into luxury...that money can help you take a step up in the luxury car category.

I really don't mean to sound preachy, but having gone through being paranoid about people messing with my car while at school when I didn't have anything CLOSE to being as nice as a TL or G35c, thank god I didn't. You want to be able to enjoy your college years w/out dealing with people vandalizing your property on top of school work and social life - because, unfortunately, it ends.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Instructor

When i was 17, i got a Lexus ES300... B is sooo lucky

Anyways, i would suggest buying a 4 door Q-ship (a car that looks innocent and goes like stink). Police see a nice sports car and a young driver and sooner or later u are gonna get screwed. Also, insurance is gonna be steep for a G35 coupe. So for the money, i will get the TL.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:37 AM
Pro

yea insurance will be a bitch, no matter how good your driving record is....look at at least 3 grand a year for the g35

i think a new TL is the best bet....they really arent that flashy....or maybe a TSX...sports cars like STis and g35s are the cars that catch the most heat and attention at my school...even though ive seen kids fuck the hell out of beater cars....our RA had a old pickup truck...and `someone` dumped a whole bucket full of old macaroni and cheese on the hood....then the raccoons came and shit all over the hood...when the RA fianlly went to the car 3 days later her finish was FUCKED...hahaha funny shit though...ive also caught my drunkass roomate trying to steal emblems off old cadilacs and shit
Old 08-03-2005, 12:08 AM
9th Gear

Wow. When I turned 17 I bought a silver '86 VW Scirocco that had so many scratches that it looked like a Delorean. Loved digging through the junkyard for parts...
Old 08-03-2005, 01:47 AM
Pro

yea when i was 17 i bought a 85 200sx, fun little rwd bucket smashin donuts, dirty as hell, 2% tints riding on donuts with 10s in the back, i packed 8 people in that little bucket once

then i upgraded to a 91 accord on 17s with 12s thumpin and a fartcan muffler, i thought that was such a nice car haha

Quick Reply: Car for a 17 year old