Caddy V-Series Performance Lab - *Updated* My Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Caddy V-Series Performance Lab - *Updated* My Experience

Anyone doing this? I just got an "exclusive" invitation by Road & Track and Car & Driver to go to this...

"As a valuable CAR and DRIVER and ROAD & TRACK subscriber, Cadillac would like to invite you to live the ultimate driving experience at one of five ultra-exclusive Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab events.

As our guest, you'll be guided through several exercises that will focus on specific aspects and features of the CTS-V Sport Sedan, the world's fastest production sedan, and the all-new 2011 CTS Coupe and CTS-V Coupe, the newest addition to the V-Series family.

Once you've been fully immersed, you'll put your knowledge to the test by experiencing the pulse-racing performance and powerful 556-horsepower engine of the CTS-V Coupe. With a professional racing instructor sitting shotgun, you'll navigate miles of technical transitions, push through fast straightaways and handle highly challenging turns on some of the most prestigious tracks in the country.

We hope you'll accept our invitation to be among the first to experience the all-new CTS-V Coupe at this complimentary, once-in-a-lifetime event.

Please visit www.cadillacVserieslab.com to register, view event details and check out Cadillac's complete line-up of performance vehicles. This is a private event and space is extremely limited so secure your spot today!"

Event Schedule:
Monticello Motor Club - August 21-22
Palm Beach International Raceway - September 18-19
Motorsport Ranch Houston - October 16-17
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca - November 20-21
Auto Club Speedway (Formerly California Speedway) - December 4-5

Last edited by Shoofin; 08-23-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:42 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hey, I'm a subscriber.

Why didn't I get an invite.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Sweet!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got one of these as well. Hell to the yes, free track time in a CTS-V.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
Hey, I'm a subscriber.

Why didn't I get an invite.
Same here...going back to 1989 at that.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts

If you don't want to go, let me know... I'll gladly take your invitation. Or I'll even fly out to NY if I have to
Old 07-13-2010, 11:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Im a subscriber too!!! What the hell! Where's my invite!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:01 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,728 Likes on 4,232 Posts
Shoofin...if you don't go, will you be banning yourself?
Old 07-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
That sounds fun...too bad there's none near me and I didn't get an invite.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

did either of you guys that got it, do some kind of survey or something. Or you guys just pretty lucky.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'm a 20-year C&D subscriber AND a V-owner and I didn't get an invite! Boooooo!

If I can convince the wife, maybe I'll go to Monticello next month, taking my own V.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pttl
Shoofin...if you don't go, will you be banning yourself?
Oh I'm going...You can count on that...Only thing that sucks is that you can't take someone with you, and Monticello is about 120 miles away from me, that's going to make for a pretty lonely car ride...
Old 07-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by speedemon90
did either of you guys that got it, do some kind of survey or something. Or you guys just pretty lucky.
Honestly, I've been a subscriber for a VERY long time, at least 20 years...But it seems like many others are also long time subscribers but haven't gotten an invite. I will tell you what I do for C&D though...I signed up to be a panel for random car surveys. I signed up for it about 6 months ago. Every month they send me a link to a survey that I take about certain cars, and I take the survey. That might have something to do with it, I don't know
Old 08-04-2010, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Shoofin
Anyone doing this? I just got an "exclusive" invitation by Road & Track and Car & Driver to go to this...

"As a valuable CAR and DRIVER and ROAD & TRACK subscriber, Cadillac would like to invite you to live the ultimate driving experience at one of five ultra-exclusive Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab events.

As our guest, you'll be guided through several exercises that will focus on specific aspects and features of the CTS-V Sport Sedan, the world's fastest production sedan, and the all-new 2011 CTS Coupe and CTS-V Coupe, the newest addition to the V-Series family.

Once you've been fully immersed, you'll put your knowledge to the test by experiencing the pulse-racing performance and powerful 556-horsepower engine of the CTS-V Coupe. With a professional racing instructor sitting shotgun, you'll navigate miles of technical transitions, push through fast straightaways and handle highly challenging turns on some of the most prestigious tracks in the country.

We hope you'll accept our invitation to be among the first to experience the all-new CTS-V Coupe at this complimentary, once-in-a-lifetime event.

Please visit www.cadillacVserieslab.com to register, view event details and check out Cadillac's complete line-up of performance vehicles. This is a private event and space is extremely limited so secure your spot today!"

Event Schedule:
Monticello Motor Club - August 21-22
Palm Beach International Raceway - September 18-19
Motorsport Ranch Houston - October 16-17
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca - November 20-21
Auto Club Speedway (Formerly California Speedway) - December 4-5

I got this the other day- I registered for it as well.

December 4th is so far away.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Senior Moderator

What happens if it rains on the day of my drive?
◦This event will be held rain or shine. Any instructor will tell you that driving in inclement weather is an invaluable learning opportunity, especially on a closed track such as this.
Weather for Monticello, NY: Scattered Showers or Thunderstorms from today through Wednesday

I'm sure it's still on, and I know I'll enjoy myself, but I didn't exactly plan to have fun and get soaked...

Last edited by Shoofin; 08-22-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh I'm going...You can count on that...Only thing that sucks is that you can't take someone with you, and Monticello is about 120 miles away from me, that's going to make for a pretty lonely car ride...

They have a heliport or maybe you can catch a ride with Jerry Seinfeld ?
Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Senior Moderator

I made it back alive....The weather was pretty disgusting. Took me about 2 hours to get there, and like 3 and a half to get back because the weather was so nasty/flooded roads. Couldn't take many photos, and while in the car they wanted me to concentrate on the instructions and not taking pics (while being a passenger and having the instructor demonstrate).

We started off with an introduction of everyone, and what we are about to experience...

Then they divided us all into 3 modules (neck bands in white/black/red). I was black. They split up the black bands into 2, so half would be in class while the others drive, then we switch to class while the others from the class go to drive.

The first session was in the CTS Coupe (3.6). They ran exercises showing the stopping power of the car. Gun it to a speed somewhere around 60 mph and when you pass a set of cones, stomp on the brake with full force. Then you drove and set yourself up to another set of cones to show how the Stabilitrak/ABS works together by gunning it once again and at about 50mph and mid turn you stomp on the brake and steer yourself through the turn. It was interesting at how fast they stopped with no drama, especially on a soaking wet day like it was yesterday. That only added to the "wow" factor.

Then went into class to discuss the benefits of ABS and Stabilitrak, how using it the way it is meant to be and how it will help.

Next up, in the seat of a 4 door CTS-V. They had 2 manual trans cars, and the rest auto. I drove an auto. We did the same acceleration run to about 70mph and stomped on the brakes on this car as well. Then we ran a slalom run through about 10 cones. The instructor was demonstrating to me how to do it (I've done it MANY times) at about 40mph and was going pretty wide, with about 10 feet between the car and the cone. I told him that he was too slow and should have demonstrated faster. Once it was my turn, I did it going more like 50-55mph and kissing (but not hitting) the cones. He was impressed and asked me if I've done this before, and I answered, "what do you think?"

Than we went back into class to discuss the handling of the car, the difference between Over/Understeer, the magnetic suspension and the Brembo brakes (A Brembo rep was on site).

Next up, in the seat of the CTS-V Coupe. This time on the track. Also 2 manual trans cars, and this time I requested a manual. They asked me if I know how to drive standard and I answered, "I have an idea". This time, it was a little different. Helmets have to go on. We ran through a lap with an instructor first, and he showed us where we need to be through the turns, where we can pick up speed, where we need to be on the brakes, etc. Also, they had the lap times being recorded by a third party company, forgot their name. They had a camera facing the driver, another one facing the road, and the last readout will show the dash as I'm driving, showing engine speed, vehicle speed, etc. Microphones are also there to hear what's happening in the car as well. I will have a recording of my lap times available to download and show you all hopefully within the week.
I did well. The instructor was impressed. We were all timed apart from each other in laps that if they maintain the speed they should, we wouldn't be passing one another. Just call me Fast Eddie, because I was driving quick enough that the instructor called the other instructors on their radio's telling them we are passing, so they had to move over to the side for me to gun past them because they were too slow for me, causing me to slow myself, and the instructor wanted me to be going faster. I have no idea how fast I was going, but taking the turns I was taking at 3/4 the threshold of the grip and in the rain was pretty exciting. I guess the video will show it all! I finished my run pulling into the pits, I (heel and toe) rev-match downshifted from 3 to 2 as I was slowing down. The instructor was pretty ecstatic with how I drove (maybe he's paid to be overly enthusiastic, who knows? ) I get out of the car and just about every instructor in the pit area was asking who just pulled in and double clutch downshifted, I said it was me. I must have been special, because they were all way too impressed and said I was the only person to exhibit any sort of other manual driving skill other than up-shifting. I'm sure you'll see that on the video too (just not everyone outside being enthusiastic about that).

Last class, the instructor there must have heard about my entry into the pits and in front of everyone else said something again asking who it was that did it, I raised my hand and he said "You've done this before, you know what you're doing and it's good to see that the talent and skill is still there. I Then they started talking about the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Tires (A Michelin rep was on site), how they were especially designed in conjunction with the CTS-V, then they went on to talk about the 7:59 run on the 'Ring and how the CTS-V is the fastest sedan to go around it. Lastly, they spoke about the engine.

After all that, we went back into the main area where we had some refreshments and our parting gifts, and they sent us on our way.

Other than the drive to/from the place, the rain didn't hamper the day at all, it only enhanced it, IMO. I didn't feel so much that it limited the capabilities of the car, because I definitely was happy with the results. Overall I walked away impressed with the CTS offerings that Cadillac has to offer. I just wish I had more track time

Pics to follow!

Last edited by Shoofin; 08-23-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Main meeting place:

Intoductions:

The Test cars we drove:

Some of the cars outside they were showing:

CTS-V modified with GM performance parts:

V Coupe

V Wagon
Old 08-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh, and for all those V owners out there, did you know that you can engage the button actuated e-brake while driving? It won't lock up the rear wheels, but if I remember what the instructor said, he said something like it applied 60% force to the brakes. It is enough to slow a speedy driver enough (they did it to me when they thought I wasn't slowing down fast enough, even though I was ). They said it's perfectly safe to do while driving as well.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
i was just driving alongside/behind a CTSV coupe an hour ago. holy hell! silver with gunmetal wheels.

the rear facade stands so high that it looks delightfully peculiar. no joke, if you didnt see the give-away CTS frontend, you would think it was a 100k+ supercar. VERY impressive. ive never seen a car with such road presence for that pricetag. i want one...badly...i gave it more looks than a new white Ferrari ?430? that had passed by beforehand.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 08-23-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
YOU. LUCKY. BASTAGE.

Thanks for sharing! That was obviously a lot of fun.

P.S. I didn't know about the e-brake trick.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm gonna guess you autocross in your mini?

Looks really fun! Wish I could have been invited

Haha looks like you are a pretty good driver

Was no one else there, except the pros getting any compliments? Or were you hogging it all haha.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Awesome. I would like to have attended.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:57 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
Lucky bastard! I bet you had a blast! I've been subscribing to C&C and R&T for years now and I never get any of that cool shit. I must be too young.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by neuronbob

P.S. I didn't know about the e-brake trick.

I'm more jealous of you...You get to experience it every day!

But as for the e-brake trick, I was in the car with one of the instructors who was also one of the guys in charge of R&D, he said that the feature was something that was approved and all cars have it. Try it on yours and let me know if yours does the same!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by speedemon90
I'm gonna guess you autocross in your mini?
I wish I did, but surprisingly I don't. I have been to a few auto-x events, ride and drives ans performance driving schools to have gotten the experiences...
Old 08-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Found this. Looks like whoever filmed it went through more of the track though - I think it might be instructors because what I did was only you with the instructor, no other passengers...Also, look around the windshield of the car as the guy holding the camera is panning around, you'll see the location of the camera's that filmed me:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7neD0fXc87Y&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7neD0fXc87Y&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by Shoofin; 08-23-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Damn, this looks like fun-I would love to get behind a "V".
Old 08-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts
Diggin' the white one with the black wheels. Then again I would...
Old 08-24-2010, 11:30 PM
3rd Coast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Lucky! Man that modded CTS-V is hot! And the exhaust on the coupe is pretty cool.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

So was it worth all of the effort going? I read another review of the event as a glorified product demonstration with only 3 laps. While free track time in someone else's car is cool, I value my time, and I'd rather do a track day if this isn't truly a good use of time
Old 08-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sandiegan
So was it worth all of the effort going? I read another review of the event as a glorified product demonstration with only 3 laps. While free track time in someone else's car is cool, I value my time, and I'd rather do a track day if this isn't truly a good use of time
Some more track time would have been great, but what do you expect for something that didn't cost a penny?

I am looking into probably going to Skip Barber to get it out of my system though...To actually do the "real deal" is something I'm really anxious to do...
Old 08-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Intermediate

Some more track time would have been great, but what do you expect for something that didn't cost a penny?

I am looking into probably going to Skip Barber to get it out of my system though...To actually do the "real deal" is something I'm really anxious to do...
Skip Barber is really expensive. Just go to an open track day ($100-250)... just not at Monticello, since it's private :P Most groups that put on track days have instructors (BMWCCA, PCA, SCCA, NASA, etc)
Old 08-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sandiegan
Skip Barber is really expensive. Just go to an open track day ($100-250)... just not at Monticello, since it's private :P Most groups that put on track days have instructors (BMWCCA, PCA, SCCA, NASA, etc)
I'm assuming that you would use your own car, no? Not so sure I want to do that, my car isn't ready to race. But anywho where would I find info like that?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I'm assuming that you would use your own car, no? Not so sure I want to do that, my car isn't ready to race. But anywho where would I find info like that?
Really not needed. Many of the events are just lapping days that are timed, you arent racing against other cars so the likely hood of damage is very minimal.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Really not needed. Many of the events are just lapping days that are timed, you arent racing against other cars so the likely hood of damage is very minimal.
Look what I found.... http://www.etownraceway.com/road_course.aspx

And it's tomorrow too...BUT I wouldn't be able to go tomorrow...Next one is in October, I'll definitely put that in my calendar..

Oh, and I got an e-mail by Cadillac asking me to take a survey on my experience, and they also told me that my video will be available 30 days from receiving "this e-mail"...That sucks to have to wait so long, oh well..
Old 08-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Whadya know...The video of me driving the V Coupe is available now...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DWfzx1YB6Pc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DWfzx1YB6Pc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by Shoofin; 08-29-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Few more pics, some from Saturday's session, and some from Sunday, when I was there.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
CTS -V Wagon... I want on of those when I grow up!!!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

Look what I found.... http://www.etownraceway.com/road_course.aspx

And it's tomorrow too...BUT I wouldn't be able to go tomorrow...Next one is in October, I'll definitely put that in my calendar..

Oh, and I got an e-mail by Cadillac asking me to take a survey on my experience, and they also told me that my video will be available 30 days from receiving "this e-mail"...That sucks to have to wait so long, oh well..
You should haul down to VIR, looks like your BMWCCA in NJ has a good first timer program for the track http://www.njbmwcca.org/services/sch...t&event_id=252

If you are going to start going to the track, the only absolute necessity is high boiling point brake fluid (i.e. Motul RBF600). This is a MUST. I would also recommend sticky summer tires, extreme or max performance, but that is not an absolute must. Other than that, you should be

This is a good resource http://www.trackhq.com/forums/

Last edited by sandiegan; 08-29-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Caddy V-Series Performance Lab - *Updated* My Experience