Brake lube help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Brake lube help

I’m about to do some brake work and am in need of a brake caliper lube recommendation.

I plan to use the products to lube the necessary parts and apply it to the pad backings (shim) to eliminate brake noise.

I was told that the rubbery anti-squeal compound of the past is no longer preferred and new preference by pad manufacturers is to use synthetic brake caliper grease that allows more movement of the pad against the caliper.

Permatex:

PRODUCT BENEFITS
• Prevents disc brake squealing
• Prevents long bolt and sleeve seizing and galling
• Outperforms ordinary caliper grease and traditional disc brake quiet
• Non-silicone, non-petroleum based formula
• Pure synthetic lubricant, environmentally safe

TYPICAL APPLICATIONS
• Long and short bolts
• Sleeves
• Bushings
• Outboard pad backing plate
• Inboard pad backing plate
• Disc brake calipers
• Caliper pins
• Pistons

DIRECTIONS FOR USE
1. Wirebrush the caliper housing and anchor plate to remove all dirt and dust.
2. Apply Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube to all moving caliper hardware, mating surfaces and steel backing plates of the disc brake pads.
3. Any excess grease that squeezes out from the mating surfaces should be removed.
Note: Keep lubricant off pads and rotors.

CRC:

"Backing plates, brake pad contact points, caliper o-rings, calipers, disc brake pads, drum brake systems, grommets, parking brake areas of lubrication, pivot points, self adjusters"

DISC BRAKES
Shimmed disc brake pads
Rotor hats (Underside)
Caliper slides, bolts & pins
All metal-to-metal contact points

DRUM BRAKES
Shoe landings (Bosses
Brake Hardware
Parking brake hardware & cables
Drum brake adjusters

Both seem to have the same uses. CRC product is $6.99 for the 8oz versus $14.99 for the Permatex.

What one is better? What direct experience do you have with either product? Which one eliminates brake squeal better?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:43 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
For crap to put on the back of pads I've just used CRC disc brake quiet.

I've also used both things you've posted about and have no preference
Old 06-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen that product through ebay a while ago while searching for my friend's GMC brake shoe. I have no idea if it works but many uses it...
Old 06-19-2007, 05:39 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a high quality pad, its recommended to put nothing between them and the calipers. Just make sure you clean all debris, rust, etc... off the caliper. What you want to lube are the contact spots on the caliper bracket that the pads rest on, but be sure to take a wire brush and clean these areas completely. You also should make sure all slides are moving freely, cleaned and lubed with the synthetic grease.

Of the two you listed the permatex holds up a lot better, but if you can find wagner synthetic caliper grease I would recommend it over either. Wagner caliper grease is white, as where permatex is usually blue, green or purple, the white grease holds up so much longer and you can really tell when you have areas cleaner properly.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:51 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Having done three brake jobs within the least few weeks, I'd have to say that Tireguy is right. It seems like most of the noise would have to come from the pad ears vibrating against the caliper mounting bracket.

I used the permatex synthetic caliper grease on the pad shim, pad ears, mounting bracket, and slider pins on some junk AutoZone Duralast Gold pads on the Saturn. They've been making noise forever, so I figured that it'd just be time for me to "service" them. After adding the grease, they only squeak after very intense use during stop-n-go driving. On the other hand, I used the Molykote type product that was included with Akebono ProACT pads on a 01 TL. Applied to the same areas, and no noise at all. But I think it's because Akebonos are much better pads.