BMW Ultimate Driving Experience – My SMG review

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004 | 08:23 PM
Team Owner

BMW Ultimate Driving Experience – My SMG review

I did the “BMW Ultimate Driving Experience” Saturday morning.
See original thread…. http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144355

It looked like it was gonna be a washout because it rained all the way down the turnpike, but when I got there it was clear.

First up was my drive in the 545i 6-Speed.
I’ve seen a few of these on the road, but it looks so much better up close in person.
They hand you the keys and a set of directions then you’re on your own for the 10-mile drive.
This would be hard enough on its own but even more of a challenge when you’re driving a stick shift car with one hand while holding the directions in the other.
Let me tell you, that 325HP under the hood certainly felt awesome.
A slight blip of the throttle and then entire hood leaned to the side in protest of the torque.
On the shifter, I wasn’t crazy about having Reverse next to First gear. I prefer it near 6th like my CL-S is.
Other then that, no complaints about the shifter or clutch action.
There are gobs of power in every gear. I’m not used to having the torque of a V8 under the control of my foot.
Another thing that amazed me was the handling.
The car felt smooth over bumps and irregularities in the road, but when I powered it around the corners it didn’t lean at all.
I would trade my car in a SECOND and never look back if it weren’t for that minor problem of the extra 40-Grand I’d need.

Next up was the Z4 Roadster with SMG.
I had never driven an SMG vehicle before so this was a learning experience for me.
After 18 years of driving mostly manual Tranny cars I was anxious to give one of these cars a try.
First things first, this car is WAY too small for me.
I got in and sat down and I felt like Magnum P.I. driving the Ferrari around Hawaii.
The top was down and when I sat in the car and looked forward, I was looking directly at the headliner and sunshade.
If I sat UP a bit I was able to look OVER the headliner and forward.
If I sat DOWN a bit I was able to look UNDER the headliner and through the glass.
I think if the top was up I wouldn’t have been able to drive the thing.

OK…on to the tranny.
I turned on “Sport Mode” and selected 1st and proceeded out of the lot.
The car had a nice “burble” to it especially in the open air.
Pulled out onto the roadway and pulled back for 2nd.
Pretty quick shifting, but still not too impressed.
Wound my way up through 3 & 4 until I reached the first stoplight.
The first problem was when I downshifted as traffic backed up.
I damn near drove into the back of the car in front of me.
In a “normal” manual car when you downshift, you get the benefits of compression braking from the engine. This slows the car down.
SMG doesn’t do this. It blips the throttle and selects the lower gear, but no braking effect is felt.
I guess the computer thinks I was downshifting to power out of a corner, not slow the car.
I didn’t care for this effect.
Also, I’ve always read that SMG shifted the car faster and more accurately then a foot activated clutch.
Faster? Maybe, but certainly no more accurate then I can do with my feet & hand.
The “blip” of the gas is pretty cool, but the car has no idea if you’re downshifting to slow the car or accelerate for a pass.
I’m sure it would come with more time behind the wheel, but I kept forgetting weather it was forward or back on the shifter.

OK….lets try these cool F1 paddles on the wheel. Maybe I’ll like those better.
Reaching upper revs in 1st, time for an upshift so I go to pull back on the paddle and nothing happed except for the windshield got all wet. What the F.
Oops, I guess that’s the windshield washer paddle, not the shifter.
Rev limiter bouncing off in 1st DAMN IT, there’s that paddle.
Find the wiper switch and clear the window. Oops, not a good idea when you’re head is outside the top and you’re doing 40MPH.
Anyway, play with the paddles some more before heading back to the lot.
I got the hang of it, but actually preferred the gear shifter on the console instead.

Bottom line, I wasn’t as impressed as I thought I would be.
I guess I’d have to drive something with a more powerful SIX or EIGHT under the hood, but if I were buying a BMW tomorrow it would have three pedals on the floor.
While the SMG system is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Acura and the slush-o-matic 5-Speed I still wouldn’t buy one.

Well, that’s enough for now. I’m tired of typing. I’ll share some more info on what happened Saturday later this week if I get bored at work.
Such as watching one of the X3 test drivers get a speeding ticket and my discussions with the sales guy about leasing a 5-Series.
And comparing the 4-door 5-Series to the 2-Door 6-Series.
I thing I actually prefer the 5. Yes you heard that right.

Later,
Shawn S (still a clutch lover)
Old 07-25-2004 | 08:26 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Go get a 545...

DO IT! :P
Old 07-25-2004 | 08:27 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

I've never really understood the concept of the SMG. Save for the F1 paddles on the steering wheel, how does it compare to SS on your slushbox CLS?
Old 07-25-2004 | 08:27 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

BTW, awesome review! rep points awarded
Old 07-25-2004 | 08:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Scrib
Go get a 545...

DO IT! :P
Can I borrow 64 GRAND ???
Old 07-25-2004 | 08:31 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Shawn S
Can I borrow 64 GRAND ???
Sure... At 10% interest.

But yeah, I hear you. My brother inlaw is contemplating getting a 545. He just can't bring himself to spend that kind of coin on a car.
Old 07-25-2004 | 08:36 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Scrib
Sure... At 10% interest.

But yeah, I hear you. My brother inlaw is contemplating getting a 545. He just can't bring himself to spend that kind of coin on a car.
The guy offered me 25 large for my car sight unseen.
Said he could do a 4-Year lease on the 5-Series for “about 500 a month”.
Old 07-25-2004 | 08:40 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Shawn S
The guy offered me 25 large for my car sight unseen.
Said he could do a 4-Year lease on the 5-Series for “about 500 a month”.
25K??? Holy cow.

I'd jump on that.

Oh wait... The Bimmer is still 60K.

What about a 530? Or are you really craving the V8?
Old 07-25-2004 | 08:41 PM
Team Owner

Must Have V8
Old 07-25-2004 | 09:35 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Thanks for the review.

I still have not driven an SMG transmission myself either, but am intrigued.

Having been a live long MT dude who actually enjoys the driving experience, I suspect that I'd have a similar impression to what you experienced

As most BMWs really are not my cup of tea, I cannot say that I'm dying to get into one just to try out their tranny. I guess I'll have to wait until it comes to any car that I would consider buying.
Old 07-25-2004 | 09:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TypeSAddict
I've never really understood the concept of the SMG. Save for the F1 paddles on the steering wheel, how does it compare to SS on your slushbox CLS?
The SMG actually has a (electronicly or hydrualic, I forget which exactly) actuated clutch which is more akin to a manual versus our torque converters. SMG is a manual in the sense it has a clutch but is an automatic in the sense there is a full auto mode and only the choice of up and down one gear at a time.

SMGs are actually not that bad. You need to try one on an M3 to get the full experience, or maybe try the new M5 when it comes out. The only thing I don't like is in an autocross when using the paddles, you have to be careful no to hit the down when you want to hit the up paddle.
Old 07-25-2004 | 10:13 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

AT is nice to put around in SOMETIMES....but i really love MT. Don't think i'd purchase a AT again if i have the choice.
Old 07-26-2004 | 01:38 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Manual is faster on the street and SMG is better for the track.

With that, a nicely optioned 545 6spd with little $ out of pocket on a lease for 36 months is in the $950-$1k area per month (give or take, depending on options and mileage needed).

BMWs are expensive, but you get what you pay for in the higher end.
Old 07-26-2004 | 06:15 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Beltfed
With that, a nicely optioned 545 6spd with little $ out of pocket on a lease for 36 months is in the $950-$1k area per month (give or take, depending on options and mileage needed).
Yea, that’s the sad truth of it all.
Thanks for PISSING in my Corn Flakes man. ..........
Old 07-26-2004 | 03:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by TypeSAddict
? concept is a manual transmission /w clutch controlled by a computer vs. automatic transmission with a torque converter. Meaning SMG puts more power to the tires and faster shifts than an automatic. Plus the SMG has control of the clutch, you really can't change the lockup rpms on a automatic (torque converter) instantaneously. Nor can you blip the throttle and rev match downshifts on a automatic.

Lots of advantages using the SMG vs. fluid driven automatic transmission.