40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Best time to buy winter Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Best time to buy winter Tires?

It looks like my dedicated winters will be at the end of their lives come march so i'm planning ahead to buy another set at then end of this season, and hoping to catch some kind of deal as retailers start taking them out of inventory as summer driving season approaches. When do you guys think would be the best time to start shopping them? My plan is too pretty much drive the rubber right off these one's into the spring to add some life to my summers too.

Also, I've been more than pleased with my Bridestone Blizzak Ws-50's which have now been replaced by the WS-60 so I was just going to get a set of those but then I started looking around and apparently the Nokian Hakkapelitta R is the king of Winter tires, so now I'm considering them as well. It will be one or the other for sure I just can't decide. The Bridgestone is top rated on Tire Rack and the Nokian is top rated amongst Finns, and pretty much anyone that owns them. What is also nice is the Nokian is somehow 2lbs lighter which will help with fuel mileage and responsive feeling.

Here's the Nokian

and the Bridgestone

What do you snow belters think?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:50 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Typically, there are exceptions, the best time to buy snow tires is in Fall. Most every tire outlet can return winter tires for spring tire credit, usually at a predetermined, lower price. That said, some dealers may want to dump left over inventory, shop around and see what you can find, it only takes a little time and there is nothing to lose.

When I was in the tire business, I had already returned my left over snows by February, people who buy snow tires in this area buy them before January or typically not at all. For the minimal sales that happen after the new year it isn't worth keeping highly specialized inventory in stock, in particular with daily deliveries. In Canada things may be a little different, but in upstate NY I had it down to a science.

My two main lines were Bridgestone and Nokian, I really like both of their product lines. When it came to winter tires I sold Nokian 50 to 1, the Bridgestone snows are good, but cannot compete with Nokian in winter, nothing can. They are so much better then all other winter tires it is almost hard to believe, having had the opportunity to test their tires against the competition several times and having lived with them I can not recommend Nokian highly enough as a winter tire, their all weather and summer tires are hit and miss, but their winter tires are all fantastic. One recommendation I will make is to try and find the studded Nokian tires with out studs, it has been my experience that they wear better, handle better and perform more predictably then the studless tires. I don't keep up with it like I used to, and know Nokian is studding a lot, if not all their tires at the factory these days, but if possible find a hak. 4 or 5 without studs and don't look back.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Unofficial Goat

Studded Tires are Illegal here so all the Haks that make it here are the studless version AFAIK. Seems everyone is all about the Nokian, I have to say my Bridgestones were DAMN good and I was thoroughly impressed with the tires, what I did notice is once the micro sipping (multicell) worn off they did lose probably about 20% of their grip factor. I guess I can't imagine the Nokian being significantly better than the bridgestone which is making me apprehensive of messing with my success, but at the same time I want to give them a go.

Itimmy when you say fall, is that early sept? I think I'm going to call around a bit here tomorrow, Quebec went and mandated winter tires this year so supply has already been messed up. I might try to haul a set out of the states too, I did that with my summers and saved a bundle.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:31 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Have always bought mine around October-November....essentially as soon as they become available. When I got the TL, I had to buy them in January (because I wasn't sure what car I'd have) and I think I had the second last pair in all of Ontario - they were tough to find, nobody would trade for them from another retailer, and I had to drive 45 minutes to pick them up from the place that would hold them for me.

I've been using Nokians for my last three sets, and there are only so many available per winter, so once they're gone, they're pretty hard to find. Throw in your tire size into the mix and if it's one of the more popular sizes, the sooner you should buy 'em. If I buy them early, I still don't install them on until necessary, but I always snatch them whenever I can just to make sure I can get exactly what I want.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:35 AM

Just finished reading your OP.... I've gone through a few sets of Nokian Hakkas, we put WR's on my mom's car a few years ago, and Dan started using Nokians as of last winter as well. I'll likely continue using them until I have any convincing reason to change brands...they've been wonderful! Prior to that, I used Gislaved.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:48 AM

Sorry.

Another reason to get them early (if you end up going with Nokian) is that you're limited to the stock of only the few tire shops that stock them...they aren't found everywhere. I think if you go with something like Michelin, etc, you'll probably have a much easier time finding them later on in the season.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:50 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by The Dougler
Studded Tires are Illegal here so all the Haks that make it here are the studless version AFAIK. Seems everyone is all about the Nokian, I have to say my Bridgestones were DAMN good and I was thoroughly impressed with the tires, what I did notice is once the micro sipping (multicell) worn off they did lose probably about 20% of their grip factor. I guess I can't imagine the Nokian being significantly better than the bridgestone which is making me apprehensive of messing with my success, but at the same time I want to give them a go.

Itimmy when you say fall, is that early sept? I think I'm going to call around a bit here tomorrow, Quebec went and mandated winter tires this year so supply has already been messed up. I might try to haul a set out of the states too, I did that with my summers and saved a bundle.
I know studded tires are illegal in Canada, I am suggesting looking for Nokian tires that are pinned for studding but not studded, I prefer the tread compounds to the straight studless tires.

I don't know if the seasons start a touch earlier there or not, but Oct-Nov is the best time to shop snow tires, the earlier the better. If things get colder a bit sooner by you it wouldn't hurt to look around in Sep.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:17 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Being in the industry i can tell you that anywhere between august to october is the best time to buy. You get the best prices and way wider selection. Come november, there is less stock and the tires are more expensive. the spring time is also good if you can find leftovers in your size on clearance. If i can recommend a great alternative to the Blizzak, it's the Firestone Winterforce tire. It's much less than the Bridgestone tire, but holds its own. I used the bridgestones last year on my toyota beater, and gave them to my lil bro. This year i picked up the firestones for half the price and they are just as good in NY snowy weather.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
sounds like you're pretty set on one of these 2 brands, but this year i tried the Pirelli P-Zero's and they were amazing! i'd recommend them and get them again
Old 02-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I prefer the Dunlop Winter Sport M3/3D over the WS60. Ive been contemplating the Nokian for my next tires, but its hard to get rid of the Dunlops (the best winter tire ive driven)
Old 02-05-2009, 09:02 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

A number of you bring up a good point, as much of a Nokian Fanboi as I am, if you are truly happy with something and it is still available don't mess with success! I strongly believe in Nokian and have experienced back to back the difference, but everyone and every car is different.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:09 AM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
I've never had to use winter tires... UHP for me, sorry Dougy
Old 02-05-2009, 09:39 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by nbennettksu
you also see a next to no snow and a little ice, and when it happens everything shuts down.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:41 AM
i heart latin chicks

Originally Posted by iTimmy
you also see a next to no snow and a little ice, and when it happens everything shuts down.

Two weeks ago they closed schools the night before, it hadnt even started snowing yet
Old 02-05-2009, 10:02 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts

Two weeks ago they closed schools the night before, it hadnt even started snowing yet
you guys prob don't even have snow plows or salt
Old 02-05-2009, 10:15 AM
i heart latin chicks

I doubt a snow plow, but the roads were salted before the snow hit
Old 02-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I prefer the Dunlop Winter Sport M3/3D over the WS60. Ive been contemplating the Nokian for my next tires, but its hard to get rid of the Dunlops (the best winter tire ive driven)
I just checked those tires out, seems that they are better on the dry/wet stuff than the WS60, but are not as good in light/deep snow and on Ice. Did you have the blizzaks before you tried out the Dunlops?
Old 02-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Unofficial Goat

shut your face.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
a couple months ago would have been ideal.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Sorry.

Another reason to get them early (if you end up going with Nokian) is that you're limited to the stock of only the few tire shops that stock them...they aren't found everywhere. I think if you go with something like Michelin, etc, you'll probably have a much easier time finding them later on in the season.
SS could you recommend any retailers around here?