View Poll Results: Do you use the automatic setting on your headlights?
Yes; the switch is on 'AUTO' all the time
22.41%
Yes but I sometimes turn the lights on manually
22.41%
No, I don't use the 'AUTO' setting
15.52%
My car doesn't have automatic lights
39.66%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
I've seen cars that I know have DRLs on them, where the driver still runs the headlights during the day. In some cars, the DRLs just aren't bright enough, and depending on the time of day and direction you are driving, the Sun can cancel out that light very easily because most DRLs just aren't bright enough.
Well, you're focusing solely on the headlights, but turning on my lights also enables the tails. but you're forgetting that point. Visible from all fronts. DRL aren't meant to be bright because they're not meant to be used to light your way...so that's a moot point.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit

Saying an accident will happen regardless is somewhat :ghey:. No offense, but just not true. If an accident is bound to happen, sure -- but you're saying there's no point in avoidance either.
there is a point in preventive measures and driving with your headlights on during the day is a great way. i'm just saying, most accidents happen when there is negligence, such as running a stop sign, red light, just driving drunk or in today's era, texting/talking on the phone. in those incidents, it doesn't involve...."oh, i didn't see you" because your headlights weren't on. regardless, most drivers will always use the excuse of "i didn't see him coming", but we all know it's a bunch of crap.

i'm not against driving during the day with headlights on; i'm for it as long as it does something to prevent an accident, even if it does very little. but in the end, if someone is running a red light, stop sign, driving drunk, a light show will not stop that punk from ramming into you.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by silver3.5
i know what you mean. my friend's TL headlights are set on AUTO all the time and whenever he unlocks the car, the HID headlights would turn on but turns off when he opens the door (which usually takes him 5 secs to open the door). then when he starts the car, the headlights turns on again. of course this only happens at night, but still, that is alot of stress on the ballasts and bulbs. HID bulbs need at least 20-30 secs to warm up and hot re-strike is bad bad for the bulbs. no wonder there are a ton of acuras on the road with purple HID headlights.

my current 3.5RL have the auto function and i hardly use it. sometimes it turns on too late at dawn or too often when going under bridges (on off on off on off). i'm sure other drivers in front of me must think i'm stupid or blind! also, whenever i enter my garage, it always turns on but i'm out of my car in 3 secs. again, that's unnecessary wear and tear.

overall, i think it's a great feature for those who tends to forget about turning their headlights on at night.
What you said about HID restarts is very true! It puts a strain on the ballasts, bulbs and ignitors! The issue is that the components life becomes shorter, it doesn't make it turn purple. The only thing that these heavy refires can do is shorten the bulb's life to the point where it flickers on and off, to where it turns a dim pink or to where it won't turn on.

A few ricers read these forums and I don't want them turning their magical HID kits on and off repeatedly in order to make them more purple

Originally Posted by silver3.5
there is a point in preventive measures and driving with your headlights on during the day is a great way. i'm just saying, most accidents happen when there is negligence, such as running a stop sign, red light, just driving drunk or in today's era, texting/talking on the phone. in those incidents, it doesn't involve...."oh, i didn't see you" because your headlights weren't on. regardless, most drivers will always use the excuse of "i didn't see him coming", but we all know it's a bunch of crap.

i'm not against driving during the day with headlights on; i'm for it as long as it does something to prevent an accident, even if it does very little. but in the end, if someone is running a red light, stop sign, driving drunk, a light show will not stop that punk from ramming into you.
It barely helps, but still something is better than nothing. 0 crashes is always better than 1! I'm all for having headlights on in the daytime, but yellow ugly DRL's, nope. HID's FTW!
Old 09-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
The issue is that the components life becomes shorter, it doesn't make it turn purple. The only thing that these heavy refires can do is shorten the bulb's life to the point where it flickers on and off, to where it turns a dim pink or to where it won't turn on.

A few ricers read these forums and I don't want them turning their magical HID kits on and off repeatedly in order to make them more purple

yellow ugly DRL's, nope. HID's FTW!
no, the bulbs don't necessarily turn pure purple but it's more of a pinkish/purplish color. it's very common on 2G TLs. i guess i exaggerated that a little bit.

hahah...having ricers flick their kits to achieve that color would be insane.

yellow ulgy DRLs is one reason i don't like them also.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
I had my wipers set to Auto in ours at the beginning but turned that off after they went off randomly a couple times and it wasn't even raining.
Odd... we've never had that issue. Both the headlights and the wipers have great sensors on them. Never have a problem with them going on or off when they shouldn't. The only time we actually turn the wipers off is when going through the car wash...
Old 09-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Odd... we've never had that issue. Both the headlights and the wipers have great sensors on them. Never have a problem with them going on or off when they shouldn't. The only time we actually turn the wipers off is when going through the car wash...
That's the same for me, I always have auto wipers on, except in the car wash. The only time they really bothered me was in a very, very heavy rainstorm where they would suddenly slow down for no rhyme or reason.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:28 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
In the toyotas we always used them. Actually we left them in the on position. It was nice to just get in and go and they would turn on when the car was started and shut off when the door opened and ignition off.
I never had to worry about work zones and turning them on/off.

The acuras i leave it on auto and turn them on if it rains or enter a construction zone.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i do it manually....
Old 09-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by SG81
i hate auto headlights and i'm glad my car doesn't have them

Amen to that!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Advanced