View Poll Results: Do you use the automatic setting on your headlights?
Yes; the switch is on 'AUTO' all the time
22.41%
Yes but I sometimes turn the lights on manually
22.41%
No, I don't use the 'AUTO' setting
15.52%
My car doesn't have automatic lights
39.66%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Automatic Headlights?

If your car has them, do you use them? All of our cars with automatic lights (RL, Santa Fe, and RX300) are set to 'AUTO'. Occasionally I will override in heavy rain or when on dangerous, 2-lane highways through the mountains for the most part, my lights are left on automatic.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:20 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
My Taurus has it. I like it but sometimes (like you mentioned, in rain or early dusk) they don't come on soon enough. There's a way to adjust it but never felt like taking apart my dash for it.

I think it should be standard on all vehicles. Too many dimwits driving with no lights at night...
Old 09-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
All of my cars have the option of Auto Headlights (save the Accord) and I never use it. It's because I'm a whore and my HIDs are always on even in bright daylight.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I don't really have a choice. Whether or not I choose to, if it's dark out, the headlights will come on if the light sensor (forgot its fancy schmancy technical name... photovoltaic?) gets triggered. I did get spoiled by it though.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Have them but never use them. Just old school habit. My wife has them on the Pathfinder and she uses them all the time.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My new RDX is my first car with auto headlights. I'm still getting used to not turning them on and off myself. Sometimes I catch myself turning them off. I'm trying to leave it on auto and just turn them on myself during rain or other times as necessary.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
I dont have them, but my dad does, and he does it manually mainly because if its on auto the lights will turn on with the car in the garage and he doesn't want that because it drains
the battery a little.

edit: Its more because he turns it off when he turns the car off because that drains the battery more.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Mourning Would
I don't really have a choice. Whether or not I choose to, if it's dark out, the headlights will come on if the light sensor (forgot its fancy schmancy technical name... photovoltaic?) gets triggered. I did get spoiled by it though.
Photodiode?

None of my cars have an auto mode.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Auto headlights should be standard with these new type of gauge clusters which stay lit all the time (the proper term escapes me at the moment). I see a lot of idiots in newer cars driving without headlights ON, while their cluster is lit and they have very dim DRL's.

On topic, I don't have them and I really don't care. If a car comes with it thats fine, if not I am not going to shell out extra $$ to get that option.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never use them. The reason I don't is because my car stays in my shop at night and everytime you start the car in there the headlights come on and then go right off when I pull out. I was told that this puts some wear on the hid's in the fogs and the projectors in my headlights. Right or wrong I don't need to take the chance.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
I leave mine on auto 90% of the time. I hate it when it's dawn or dusk, if I change direction and car faces a different position towards the sun, it'll turn itself on or off. Then when I turn again, it'll do the opposite. People in front of me must thing I'm flashing my xenons at them when it's just my auto headlights can't make up it's mind.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by nokiaman
all of my cars have the option of auto headlights (save the accord) and i never use it. It's because i'm a whore and my hids are always on even in bright daylight.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
If I had it, I wouldn't use it.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
If I had it, I wouldn't use it.
Me neither. I want to decide when my lights are on or off. I always see cars with auto headlights having their lights come on when they're going through a short underpass or something like that. No thanks.

Same with rain-sensing wipers. Meh. People are getting lazy.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by 4cruizn
Me neither. I want to decide when my lights are on or off. I always see cars with auto headlights having their lights come on when they're going through a short underpass or something like that. No thanks.
The automatic lights on the RX300 and Santa Fe take a LONG time to come on so they aren't just tripped by a bird flying overhead. I can actually drive through this tunnel at the speed limit and my lights will have not turned on by the time I reach the other side.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
My adaptive headlights only work in the Auto setting, so thats where i typically keep it.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
My adaptive headlights only work in the Auto setting, so thats where i typically keep it.
Are you talking about where the headlights turn with the steering wheel?
Old 09-28-2010, 12:44 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by tmnhs81
Auto headlights should be standard with these new type of gauge clusters which stay lit all the time (the proper term escapes me at the moment). I see a lot of idiots in newer cars driving without headlights ON, while their cluster is lit and they have very dim DRL's.

On topic, I don't have them and I really don't care. If a car comes with it thats fine, if not I am not going to shell out extra $$ to get that option.
The term is "Electroluminescent"

I think this is an issue that needs to be taken care of. Vehicles with these gauges should come with auto headlights...

These gauges appear nice and bright so the drivers think their headlights are on...
Old 09-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i hate auto headlights and i'm glad my car doesn't have them
Old 09-28-2010, 01:08 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
dont have them but have driven cars with them and prefer to switch manually
Old 09-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
I have it on one of my cars and never use it.

Originally Posted by tmnhs81

You can't fix stupid. How many times have you seen an idiot driving around with high beams on when they aren't needed? I've seen my share of idiots driving around with high beams on during the day. Regardless if they set them to auto or not, the driver should be aware of what the hell they are doing. I think we've added too much automation and for that reason, we've enabled many more people to not think about what they should be doing because they expect someone/something else to take care of shit for them. What I wish more cars had were better reminder systems letting you know that you should have your headlights on, your high beams off, that sorta thing and giving the driver the ability to control those reminders (canceling them, acting upon them, etc). Most cars already have these systems built-in to them with oil service reminders, tire pressure, etc, why not fully utilize it for other things as well.

Last edited by Sly Raskal; 09-28-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Hmmm, the adaptive lights on mine work regardless of auto setting being used or not. I wonder why Bimmer did that on yours.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have them on my TL but i dont' use them. Acura's logic, when it comes to auto headlights, does not make sense.

If the setting is on "auto" and I go grab something in the car, unlock the car.. the lights turn on. I don't need to be on when i unlock the dam car. Another thing is, if you unlock it, then get it, it briefly turns off and back on again when you start the car.

I don't want to put this unnecessary wear and tear on the HID's so i just use it manually.

In contrast, the last toyota I was in seemed to have a pretty good system. In "auto" mode, the headlights would turn on when the car was put in drive. Seems pretty dam logical to me!

same for mercedes in auto mode how the fogs and parking lights turn on when you unlock, but the headlights don't turn on until you actually start the car. no unnecessary wear once again! Take note acura!
Old 09-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't have them and I'm happy about that. I typically drive to work around 6:30 and I see cars whose lights continue to turn on and off because of the weird angle of the sun. Then again, if I leave at 6:00 I see people driving without headlights on despite it being completely dark.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
I turn my full lighting system on when I start the car and turn them off when I turn off the engine. Always drive with my lights on.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
Hmmm, the adaptive lights on mine work regardless of auto setting being used or not. I wonder why Bimmer did that on yours.
On my 760 it used to be the same, but the dealership did an update and after that it works regardless of Auto or on. It added a few other features to so I'm happy!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Both of our Audi's (the A4 and now the A6) had auto headlights and both were always switched to "Auto".

We also leave our wipers set to "Auto" all of the time as well...
Old 09-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by juniorbean
We also leave our wipers set to "Auto" all of the time as well...
I had my wipers set to Auto in ours at the beginning but turned that off after they went off randomly a couple times and it wasn't even raining.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
I have them on my TL but i dont' use them. Acura's logic, when it comes to auto headlights, does not make sense.

If the setting is on "auto" and I go grab something in the car, unlock the car.. the lights turn on. I don't need to be on when i unlock the dam car. Another thing is, if you unlock it, then get it, it briefly turns off and back on again when you start the car.

I don't want to put this unnecessary wear and tear on the HID's so i just use it manually.

In contrast, the last toyota I was in seemed to have a pretty good system. In "auto" mode, the headlights would turn on when the car was put in drive. Seems pretty dam logical to me!

same for mercedes in auto mode how the fogs and parking lights turn on when you unlock, but the headlights don't turn on until you actually start the car. no unnecessary wear once again! Take note acura!
That's weird. My new 2011 RDX does not do that. I have been leaving it on auto mode and the lights do not go on and off when I lock and unlock the car. Maybe yours is set to do that? You can change the settings.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Also, at those strange times of the day when the lighting can change so quickly, I sometimes switch the lights to "on" instead of auto, to avoid any on and off annoyances.

General awareness seems to be lacking in the population these days, but I don't now if auto headlights helps relieve it or encourage it.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Missing My CL-S

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
I turn my full lighting system on when I start the car and turn them off when I turn off the engine. Always drive with my lights on.
are you being serious?
Old 09-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by SG81
are you being serious?
An old coworker of mine did that, and I've seen other people driving around who obviously do it.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonwdp10

i know what you mean. my friend's TL headlights are set on AUTO all the time and whenever he unlocks the car, the HID headlights would turn on but turns off when he opens the door (which usually takes him 5 secs to open the door). then when he starts the car, the headlights turns on again. of course this only happens at night, but still, that is alot of stress on the ballasts and bulbs. HID bulbs need at least 20-30 secs to warm up and hot re-strike is bad bad for the bulbs. no wonder there are a ton of acuras on the road with purple HID headlights.

my current 3.5RL have the auto function and i hardly use it. sometimes it turns on too late at dawn or too often when going under bridges (on off on off on off). i'm sure other drivers in front of me must think i'm stupid or blind! also, whenever i enter my garage, it always turns on but i'm out of my car in 3 secs. again, that's unnecessary wear and tear.

overall, i think it's a great feature for those who tends to forget about turning their headlights on at night.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I turn my lights on/off manually. My wife uses the "auto" on the Q7 all the time.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Team Owner

are you being serious?
Is it any different than a motorcyclist that drives with their headlights on during the day? It's also no different than a car that has DRLs.

My wife's car doesn't have DRLs so whenever I drive it, I always turn the headlights on, day or night. It just helps other drivers notice you more to help prevent a collision.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:24 AM

are you being serious?
Yes. I get in the car, turn on the lights, and go.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
at least you don't drive around the day with your highbeams on. in canada, DRLs are mandatory during the day. i've heard you can get pulled over for a ticket for not turning on your headlights/DRL. i'm so glad i can still have my choice. we have 2 cars (one toyota and one lexus) in the family with auto DRLs; i managed to defeat that feature bec. i think it's unnecessary and adds more drain on the charging system, esp. in hot summer days. i know the logic behind DRLs is to make others aware of you, but really, if an accident is going to happen, it'll happen regardless if you have light show or fire works around you!

Last edited by silver3.5; 09-29-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Missing My CL-S

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
Is it any different than a motorcyclist that drives with their headlights on during the day? It's also no different than a car that has DRLs.

My wife's car doesn't have DRLs so whenever I drive it, I always turn the headlights on, day or night. It just helps other drivers notice you more to help prevent a collision.
that's why i was asking, b/c we have DRL's up here.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Team Owner

that's why i was asking, b/c we have DRL's up here.
I've seen cars that I know have DRLs on them, where the driver still runs the headlights during the day. In some cars, the DRLs just aren't bright enough, and depending on the time of day and direction you are driving, the Sun can cancel out that light very easily because most DRLs just aren't bright enough.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by silver3.5
at least you don't drive around the day with your highbeams on. in canada, DRLs are mandatory during the day. i've heard you can get pulled over for a ticket for not turning on your headlights/DRL. i'm so glad i can still have my choice. we have 2 cars (one toyota and one lexus) in the family with auto DRLs; i managed to defeat that feature bec. i think it's unnecessary and adds more drain on the charging system, esp. in hot summer days. i know the logic behind DRLs is to make others aware of you, but really, if an accident is going to happen, it'll happen regardless if you have light show or fire works around you!
I know. I'm in . And you don't have to 'turn on' DRL, they go on with the car - not optional unless you have imported a car, have a car built prior to DRL, or have messed with teh system to disable them. I think they're very useful. After being used to seeing DRL for many, many years, you'd be surprised at just how much more visible they are vs. the odd time I see an older car driving around without 'em. Trust me.

Saying an accident will happen regardless is somewhat :ghey:. No offense, but just not true. If an accident is bound to happen, sure -- but you're saying there's no point in avoidance either.

Quick Reply: Automatic Headlights?