AUDI A4 vs. cl-s 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 11:24 PM
toyota owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AUDI A4 vs. cl-s 6MT

sup ppl, i was originally set on getting cl-s 6MT when it comes out. but after reading several posts here, i find out cl-s has many problems (mainly tranny, but i figure 6MT wont have this issue).
so how bad is it? is it really that unbearable? i have a SS lude right now so i understand tranny issues. aside from that, my lude also has some minor rattles here and there at 7K miles.
also, i am 20 now, and has been in jap import scene since 16-17...4yrs now.
i am kinda getting alil sick of the issues these days and wanna go german sh*T

so i thought about the MB c230 6MT, bimmer 325 5MT, and the Audi A4 1.8T quattro (or non quattro).

out of those 3, bimmer seems really overpriced and way to common these days.

if POWER wasnt an issue, how would u guys compare the cl-s the new a4??
and how is audi's resale value compared to acura etc. what else do i have to consider when deciding between these two cars?

thanks guys, all input would be helpful
Old 12-27-2001, 08:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
again, the tranny problem is not that common. YES it sucks if you have it (this is for the record for all those that have it), but it's not that common.

on this board, there has been less than 100 cases of it, (i said less than 200 before and got hell for it, so i'm revising it) and the one guy had it happen twice to him, but the 2nd time sounds more like the fault of the installation rather than the tranny. the only reason there's a waiting list for replacements is 'cuz it's not those items they usually keep stock of and acura sends out the replacement in batches.

it only sounds like there are a lot of problems because those with problems like to bitch pretty loud about it.

and to all those that hate acuras and have tranny problems:
now let the flames begin!
Old 12-27-2001, 08:07 AM
Suzuka Master

on to your question...if you want something euro and small, then get the new a4. resale and reliability is unknown 'cuz it's brand new, but i'd say at least average, although vw/audi reliability isn't really a strongpoint.

you are probably right about the bimmer being overpriced (for the 325s especially).

non-powerwise, i think the audi would be the coolest considering it's brand new and you won't see much of them. the cl-s probalby doesn't stand close to the build and material quality. but get the quattro.
Old 12-27-2001, 09:48 AM

I considered the A4 also. But its just too small, plus there has always and always will be more A4 on the road than CLs. I also heard alot of problems with the audis so I dunno. I decided not to get one. It basicaly came down to CL has more power and room for less money. For the luxary level, the CL is just as nice if not better than the audi. Plus the CL is 2 door Unless if you want to wait for the converitable A4, i would rather get a CL.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:45 AM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Steer clear of that MB Sports coupe. That thing is nothin but a whole lot of ugly. I would probably get the MB C240, fully lloaded of course . It comes out to like 40k, so that might be a bit much.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:49 AM
toyota owner

Originally posted by mrdeeno
on to your question...if you want something euro and small, then get the new a4. resale and reliability is unknown 'cuz it's brand new, but i'd say at least average, although vw/audi reliability isn't really a strongpoint.

you are probably right about the bimmer being overpriced (for the 325s especially).

non-powerwise, i think the audi would be the coolest considering it's brand new and you won't see much of them. the cl-s probalby doesn't stand close to the build and material quality. but get the quattro.
thanks for the replys all. i was just curious to what other problems beside the transmission the cl-s has?
and mrdeeno, how would u compare the previous gen a4 resale vs the current cl-s?

thanks
Old 12-27-2001, 10:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by kuuligan

thanks for the replys all. i was just curious to what other problems beside the transmission the cl-s has?
and mrdeeno, how would u compare the previous gen a4 resale vs the current cl-s?

thanks
i don't know about the prev. gen a4 'cuz i never had interest in them 'cuz everyone and their sister had one, but i'd guess it's better than the cl-s just because it's a sedan.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:09 AM
toyota owner

Originally posted by TypeSAddict
Steer clear of that MB Sports coupe. That thing is nothin but a whole lot of ugly. I would probably get the MB C240, fully lloaded of course . It comes out to like 40k, so that might be a bit much.
true...plus the sports coupe is tiny. but kompressor 2.3 sounds awesome tho

just gotta test drive the audi turbo and see if its any better.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:10 AM
toyota owner

Originally posted by mrdeeno

i don't know about the prev. gen a4 'cuz i never had interest in them 'cuz everyone and their sister had one, but i'd guess it's better than the cl-s just because it's a sedan.
i see..i would have considered tl-s, but they wont offer 6MT yet.

anyone know the 1/4 on a stock a4? i heard mid 15's
Old 12-27-2001, 11:13 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
The A4 comes highly regarded by all the auto mags.

The VW "problems" are pretty much limited to the Golf/Jetta engines.

The B5 platform (A4/Passat) is a damn good platform.

You can't go wrong with the Audi.

Funny how people still blame Audi for all that stuff with the 5000s even though these cars are totally different.

The CL-S is gonna be a totally different experience than an A4, but I like them both.

I'd get the CL-S personally.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:29 AM
CL 6 speeder

Audi Manuals

I have driven half a dozen A4s with a 5 or 6 speed manual. Without exception all have had transmissions which in my opinion were not fun to shift. The downshifts to second are always notchy and require some effort. There are other annoyances as well. In contrast, Honda/Accura manuals are generally wonderful. Light effort, precise and some very short throw. My 0.02 cents
Old 12-28-2001, 01:29 AM
toyota owner

yea, i just test drove the A4 1.8T. the engine was great, depsite lack of power. it just felt really strong and unlikely to break from overboost...yea, but i felt the tranny was abit rubbery and not as slick as honda shifters.

oh well...i guess i just have to wait and see for the cl-s 6MT
i know some ppl here already doing the countdown :P
Old 12-28-2001, 09:33 AM
Advanced

You Don't Want an Audi A4

Do you get an Audi A4 - my opinion ofcourse! I have a friend who has had one for a couple of years now - she is at Law School Notre Dame and drives to DC frequently so she has put some miles on it. She has had nothing but problems with the car - the most bizarre stuff like with the alignment and tires. Then an engine warning light kept coming on and the dealer couldn't find the problem!! She always takes it to the dealer for service and they have been the worst ever and also very expensive.

Each time she comes to town she had to take that car in for some new (and usually very expensive) problem. I also drove the car last summer and there was NO comparison at all to my CL-S - it just is not half the car. Didn't feel solid and ofcourse the AC was broken!!

So beware - could be my friend's A4 should be yellow instead of blue (not nearly as fantastic as the Aegean blue on my CL-S)!
Rustito
Old 12-28-2001, 10:12 AM
400 RWHP

I had an A4 previously and had no problems with it for the year i had it. I sold the car for as much as i paid for it. I feel they have very good resale. Look at the S4, 2000-2001's are still going for 35,000 and you could buy them new for 38,000+