Anyone with a Nissan CVT due for a fluid change...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Anyone with a Nissan CVT due for a fluid change...

This is boring I know but I thought I would share my results of running Redline non-slip CVT fluid in the Murano. I've seen a few Murano owners on here. I did the second drain and fill today. Mileage is near 40,000. It has 10,000 on the first drain and fill with Redline.

Most people are scared due to the factory warnings to only use the Nissan stuff. But I figured this fluid is approved by Redline, has the same viscosity, roughly the same additives, and a much, much better ester base oil. It's kind of like the Honda Z1 which we've found to be about the worst oil out there for the Honda 5at.

So on to the drain and fill. I expected 0 difference in feel, the only reason for using this fluid is better protection and longer fluid life in this very hot climate. First time out, torque convertor clutch lockup is much smoother. Before there was always a slight shudder of the drivetrain as it locked under light throttle. It's completely gone. Before, in steady state throttle it seemed like the rpms would hunt just a little. Now if you leave your foot in the same spot, rpms are completely steady as the vehicle accelerates. The smoothness alone is worth it. Of course, this '07 suffers from ultra slow response to heavy throttle inputs in which the fluid did not make a difference. Price is about the same as the factory stuff.

So to those on the fence on using Redline, I would say go for it. The only drawback is Redline is clear, Nissan factory fill is purple. If they wanted to give you a hard time they could try and deny a warranty claim even though it's illegal to do so based on the fluid. I made this decision early on in the TL's life to run the best fluid from the start and if something happened requiring warranty I would deal with it then. 93,000 miles later it's great.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Have you considered the BG CVT fluid? A number of Nissan dealers that carry BG products use the BG CVT fluid.

http://www.bgprod.com/products/transmission.html

Considering Nissan has a 10/120k warranty on the transmission, I may just leave the transmission alone on mine since I doubt I'll have it for more than 100k.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
Have you considered the BG CVT fluid? A number of Nissan dealers that carry BG products use the BG CVT fluid.

http://www.bgprod.com/products/transmission.html

Considering Nissan has a 10/120k warranty on the transmission, I may just leave the transmission alone on mine since I doubt I'll have it for more than 100k.
I thought about just leaving it alone with that kind of warranty. But with the way things are going I think we're going to hang on to both cars for a long time.

I didn't realize Nissan carried and recommended the BG products. With the great results on Redline I plan on sticking to it but I'm going to do some research on BG.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I didn't realize Nissan carried and recommended the BG products. With the great results on Redline I plan on sticking to it but I'm going to do some research on BG.
Some dealers do. NissanUSA does not endorse BG products, of course.