Anybody else have mental dos and don'ts for passengers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No messing around with air vents. Hate it when one points up and the next one down, etc.

I quit smoking, so that means no one else can smoke in my car.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Instructor

I drive an S2K, so it means I only have one passenger to worry about, but it also means there are some quirks people might not be used it. It also means I'm really anal.

- Don't slam the doors or trunk, I'd rather you have to try again after doing it too softly.
- Don't drag your feet across the door sill when getting in.
- Don't whack anything with anything. No bracelets on paint, no smacks with purses.
- NEVER open the door into another car. I always try to park in spaces with enough room so neither party will do this, but some people love throwing doors open.
- The controls in the car are all in front of the driver, so this makes it clear that they are mine, but the stereo should not be touched either.
- Keep your back in your seat. If I look at my side mirror and you're blocking it, I'll just move you with my arm.
- No food, no drinks.
- If your shoes are dirty, clean that shit off before getting in, or I'll make you put them in the trunk in a bag and get in barefoot.
- Scratch anything and die.
- Complaints about road noise shall not be tolerated.
- Keep your hands off of the convertible top frame. There is no oh-shit handle. You may hold the door handle, but nothing else.
- Don't touch the windows, windshield, etc.
- Keep your elbow off of the center area. I have to shift the car, so please give me the space.

Most peeps aren't a problem, but any violations will result in verbal chastisement and possible ejection after repeated violation.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i effing hate when people drag their feet getting into the car, wacking them off the door or door sill. RAGE
Old 07-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,208 Likes on 692 Posts
-No slamming doors.
-No trash, esp. if you tried to hide it. I've had 2 people do that & I make their ass ride with someone else,
-No punching my roof because you're in a pissy mood. I had a friend's girlfriend do that for some reason, & she rides with someone else. Actually, so does he because he's a shitty passenger as well.
-Only 1 passenger 95% of the time. I've had people in the back do shit so no one rides back there now, unless I trust you.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Instructor

People who ride with me are, um, respectful and respectable. They treat my car as they treat their own. But I'm not a youngster.

Having had cars with heavy doors (Saabs, Passat) I'm accustomed to the need to slam the door. In fact, if I'm too gentle, the RDX doors don't close fully and "the voice" of big sister yells at me that the door is open.

I tell people "please slam the door!" and please adjust the heat and blower to your comfort.

I did, however, have a list of rules for my old sailboats.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:55 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by CG2PROJECT
Since I have my own iPod in my car running all the time, the songs get a bit overplayed. So one thing I have my passenger bring is their own iPods or MP3 players, so I can listen to something different once in a while. I have no preferences towards music, so it's a win-win situation.
I've started to do this too. I like listening to new things.

And everyone's said it already.

No smoking (although I've never had a problem)
Slamming the door.
The oh shit handles
And people kicking my side skirts when they get out. I hate that.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
dont slam my door and no smoking dont touch my radio and watch ur feet on my side skirt
Old 07-12-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
I do the opposite....

When I'm driving friends of mine, I ask them if they're comfortable and to let me know if they want me to adjust the HVAC, tell them where the seat recline buttons are so they can get comfy, and ask them if there's something they'd like to listen to. Makes the ride so much more enjoyable than being a tyrant, uptight, worried, and annoyed while they're with me. I use the car all the time and listen to my music whenever I want...I allow them the courtesy to relax and enjoy the ride and the car is the last thing on my mind.

All I do when people leave and when I'm home for the night is put the passenger back up to where it was and empty any garbage that might be left (mine included), but no one's ever made a mess or been disrespectful. None of my friends smoke, so that's never an issue...but that would probably be the only thing I would ask they not do if they wondered.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
I do the opposite....

When I'm driving friends of mine, I ask them if they're comfortable and to let me know if they want me to adjust the HVAC, tell them where the seat recline buttons are so they can get comfy, and ask them if there's something they'd like to listen to. Makes the ride so much more enjoyable than being a tyrant, uptight, worried, and annoyed while they're with me. I use the car all the time and listen to my music whenever I want...I allow them the courtesy to relax and enjoy the ride and the car is the last thing on my mind.

Glad I'm not the only one. Reading this thread is making me really appreciate my passengers.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I wish I was old now

Most people I know (teenagers) take it for granted and don't treat my car with any particular respect. It's like letting someone spend the night in your home, feeding and entertaining them, but they don't even have the courtesy to make the bed in the morning. Not particularly damaging, but a tiny bit insulting.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
i hate it when people

-slam the trunk shut (IT LOCKS IF YOU JUST LET IT FALL!!)
-kick the sideskirts getting in and out
-use the Oh shit handles to "pull" themselves out the car.
-lean the passenger seat all the way back and leave it.
-leave seatbelt twisted so it doesnt retract.
-sit up against any part of the car. (jeans scratch paint MF'ers!)
-pull on door handles before they are unlocked.
-relocate my air vents.

smoking isnt an issue as its not allowed and the only 2 passengers i carry around dont smoke.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 990 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by scotty m
Definatley all the above plus I hate when passengers complain about how far away i park form everything.

My car has frameless windows, so any hands on the glass piss me off. Then the bitching about parking far away and away from the lines on an end spot. But I have zero door dings. It works.

My motto: Sit back and STFU. My car, my rules. If not, your thumb works pretty well when it's not up your ass.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
is it just me? or that slamming of doors isnt too bad. but when they go for the trunk, its like they put a half dead person in there and they try to make the trunk closing the final blow and rock the hell out of it.

When the car flexes it's suspension because of that trunk closing, you gotta know its too much...
Old 07-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't seem to have most of these problems. My passengers aren't getting stuff in and out of the trunk, I normally do it. They're not normally slamming the doors, although I do have one that I pick on for doing so. They're generally respectful and treat my car at least as well, if not better than their own.

I'm like Street Spirit, I encourage my passengers to adjust the car to their own comfort. Normally the ac is on auto and I encourage the passenger to adjust the temp on their side. What's the point of having dual zone climate control if you're going to keep them both the same? And by all means adjust the vents how you want them. That goes for the seat too. I'm not sitting in it, adjust it to your comfort. And I always encourage people to play whatever music they want. Most of my friends have decent taste in music, and it exposes me to new things. And generally if the weather's nice I like to have the windows and the sunroof open, but I always ask. If we ride without the ac, the passengers can feel free to open and close the window to their comfort.

I'm not terribly anal about food and drinks, but I do mention one thing to them all before it comes up. If you spill ANYTHING in my car, you've got to clean it up with your tongue, and you never know where my bare ass has been.

I guess the only real rule I have is No Smoking. Not in the car, not around the car if the windows are open. No way, no how. I've had it for a little over 2 years and it still smells new, I'd like to keep it that way as long as possible.

When it comes right down to it, its just a car. Its a piece of machinery that gets you from point A to point B. My friends mean more to me than my car ever will. I know its disrespectful for your friends to abuse and mistreat your possessions. But honestly, if they're disrespectful, they're not my friends and they're not riding with me.