Anti-ALPR Cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 08:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
Anti-ALPR Cover

Hi Azine,

Anyone have experience with this product below?

https://www.sunflexzone.com/products...vehicle-covers

NYC has been been handing out tickets over the mail for going 4mph over the speed limit. This is ridiculous and I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with license plate blockers, particularly those that block the infrared spectrum. I have read the sprays are ineffective.

Yes, I do go 4mph over the speed limit.

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2016, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
no i haven't but if $40 bucks is worth the investment vs a speeding ticket... go for it...
Old 10-24-2016, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,650 Likes on 6,676 Posts
Try it!

Just make sure they don't have laws against thAt
Old 10-24-2016, 09:20 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Try it!

Just make sure they don't have laws against thAt
In NY and NJ, it is illegal to cover license plate. But people do it anyways.... even the police.

I-Team: Illegal License Plate Covers Help Scofflaws Avoid Fines | NBC New York

I-Team: Illegal License Plate Covers Help Scofflaws Avoid Fines

A popular breed of license plate shield is allowing motorists to evade tickets and tolls even though the plastic cover appears transparent.

The "PhotoMaskCover" and similar products polarize light so that plate numbers and letters are clearly visible from directly behind a car. But when viewed from an angle, the characters are obscured. Because cameras at toll bridges, tunnels, and intersections are often positioned from a side angle, the plate covers can help scofflaws slip through E-ZPass lanes and run red lights without fear of being tracked down for their transgressions.

"What they do is they direct the light at the plate and they obscure it from where they think the reader is going to be," said Port Authority Captain Ron Shindel, who is in charge of security at the George Washington Bridge. Shindel said his officers have made at least a dozen arrests for illegally covered license plates at bridge toll stations in the last thirty days.

The I-Team found the polarizing plate covers on vehicles in New Jersey and New York, despite laws in both states that prohibit the obscuring of license plates. In some cases even cars and trucks displaying law enforcement placards had the illegal plate covers.

Last month the I-Team spotted a black SUV parked outside the NYPD 103rd Precinct in Queens with the illegal covers obscuring both front and rear license plates. On the dashboard, a makeshift placard read "PO DiFalco 103 Pct Shield 24212"

NYPD spokesman Sgt. Brendan Ryan sent the I-Team a statement saying "this matter is under internal review."

Attempts to reach Officer DiFalco were unsuccessful.

The I-Team also spotted PhotoMaskCovers or similar devices on a Jeep displaying an FDNY placard and a Chrysler parked in a spot reserved for employees of the Nassau County Police Department.

Neither Nassau County Police nor the FDNY provided any response to questions about the illegally covered license plates.

In an email to the I-Team, a representative of the company that sells the PhotoMaskCover defended the business as a way for citizens to protect themselves against false red light tickets that they have "no realistic way to fight."

"We do not advocate illegal activity," reads the statement, which is attributed only to "PhotoMaskCover."

"What our product is designed to do is to stop the illegal and wrongful issuing of tickets."

The statement goes on to explain that the act of covering a license plate with clear plastic is not illegal if the vehicle is not driven on public streets.

"There is nothing illegal about a piece of plastic or license plate cover. The illegal part would be putting it on a vehicle that is on public roads where it is prohibited."

Despite that disclaimer, the PhotoMaskCover website suggests its product is "100% effective against photo radar." Indeed, the company advertises a "No Ticket Guarantee" in bold lettering.

Operators of red light cameras say it's nearly impossible to effectively shield a license plate from their lenses and software.

Charles Territo, a spokesman for American Traffic Solutions, a firm that runs red light cameras for about three hundred municipalities, says even if some numbers and letters are obscured on a license plate it is possible to identify the vehicle owner by cross referencing the remaining characters with the make, model, and color of the car or truck.

"Ultimately it is a very rare occurrence whenever our cameras or our processors are unable to match the plate to the registered owner of the vehicle," Territo said.

The Port Authority toll cameras at the George Washington Bridge are not as sophisticated, so it takes old fashioned police patrols to catch drivers who try to breeze through with covered plates, said the Port Authority's Shindel.

When asked if there are any legitimate reason a driver might have a license plate cover, Shindel paused and shook his head.

"No," he said. "There are misguided reasons."

Last edited by AZuser; 10-24-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Those things are usually hit or miss if they work or not. I doubt you'll have any issues with the cover, especially if it's clear. I always ran one in NY and never had an issue.

That said, I think you're better off just not running lights. Better insurance and cheaper
Old 10-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Those things are usually hit or miss if they work or not. I doubt you'll have any issues with the cover, especially if it's clear. I always ran one in NY and never had an issue.

That said, I think you're better off just not running lights. Better insurance and cheaper
thanks for your input. i dont run red lights because that is reckless

the reason i brought this topic up is because nyc is mailing out $50 fines to people who are caught doing 4mph+ over the speed limit. i learned to drive with the expectation that 10mph over is acceptable and anything over that would be subject to citations/fines

i think im going to give this alpr cover a try
Old 10-24-2016, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
where in nyc can you even do the speedlimit? i'm usually stuck in a sea of taxis everywhere i go...
The following users liked this post:
TylerT (11-21-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Yvuru
i learned to drive with the expectation that 10mph over is acceptable and anything over that would be subject to citations/fines
the fucK? you should go back to drivers ed
Old 10-24-2016, 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justnspace
the fucK? you should go back to drivers ed
i wrote that wrong. what i meant to say is one can do 10 mph and not get in trouble. but over 10 mph one would get in trouble
Old 10-24-2016, 12:50 PM

i wrote that wrong. what i meant to say is one can do 10 mph and not get in trouble. but over 10 mph one would get in trouble
again, where did you take Drivers education?

a speed limit is the limit, not a recommendation
Old 10-24-2016, 12:52 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
what i meant to say is one can do 10 mph and not get in trouble. but over 10 mph one would get in trouble

If you're going faster than the posted speed limit, you can be fined for it. Yes, it's that simple.
justnspace (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 01:03 PM

next, he's going to tell us that he doesnt make a full stop at stop signs!
and that he rolls through right turns on red!
Old 10-24-2016, 01:11 PM
Senior Moderator

next, he's going to tell us that he doesnt make a full stop at stop signs!
and that he rolls through right turns on red!
he's not in california, those are called california stops, and it's completely legal
Old 10-24-2016, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
again, where did you take Drivers education?

a speed limit is the limit, not a recommendation
Originally Posted by AZuser

If you're going faster than the posted speed limit, you can be fined for it. Yes, it's that simple.
Agreed.

Not sure who taught him that exception, but it's wrong. The speed limit is the LIMIT. While it's true that patrol officers sometimes allow a cushion, that is completely arbitrary and in no way an expectation.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:02 PM

he's not in california, those are called california stops, and it's completely legal
in my suburb, we have red light cameras.. and yes, it is a money making scheme for the city, BUTT if you abide by driving laws.... and stop at red and look both ways before proceeding, you wont get a fine.
it's that simple
Old 10-24-2016, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

, BUTT if you abide by driving laws.... and stop at red and look both ways before proceeding, you wont get a fine.
shocking..

surprised this is news to people
The following 2 users liked this post by thoiboi:
justnspace (10-24-2016), teh CL (11-19-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 02:08 PM

shocking..

surprised this is news to people
*AHEM* Yvuru
Old 10-24-2016, 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
where in nyc can you even do the speedlimit? i'm usually stuck in a sea of taxis everywhere i go...
You must have visited Manhattan, that place is a complete traffic shit show.

With that being said. I have not gotten one of these 4mph+ speeding fines, but others in my area (Queens) have. Which is why I brought this up, and asked if anyone had any experience with IR blocking clear license plate covers. As mentioned earlier I do not run red lights.

Anyways I am going to try this cover out. I'm probably going to ask a buddy of mine to try some DSLR infrared photography to test it out. Kinda curious to see how effective this thing would be.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
NYC is likely enforcing their Vision Zero initiative and being really hard assed about going over the 25 mph speed limit.

A friend once stopped for a red light (in the Bronx), and he got a ticket in the mail. The camera recorded that a small part of his hood was in the cross walk. Sigh. There's a difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:21 PM
UA9 SH-AWD

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Did it work?

You must have visited Manhattan, that place is a complete traffic shit show.

With that being said. I have not gotten one of these 4mph+ speeding fines, but others in my area (Queens) have. Which is why I brought this up, and asked if anyone had any experience with IR blocking clear license plate covers. As mentioned earlier I do not run red lights.

Anyways I am going to try this cover out. I'm probably going to ask a buddy of mine to try some DSLR infrared photography to test it out. Kinda curious to see how effective this thing would be.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:16 AM
Burning Brakes

not installed yet because lazy. will post pics when i get home
SoL_TeK (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 09:30 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
I've also been brought up to think that ~5-10mph over is something you generally won't be pulled over for, but really .. it's at the discretion of the cop and you're taking a gamble.

If you don't want to pay the fine, don't do the crime It's as simple as that.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:15 PM
UA9 SH-AWD

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Over here In SoCal, my concern is those red light cameras that get when you make a left or right turn into the intersection and you have no clue that you been photographed. Those cities that have that kind of photo enforcement generate a lot of money. That violation sums to a total of $490 not including traffic school.

Originally Posted by TylerT
I've also been brought up to think that ~5-10mph over is something you generally won't be pulled over for, but really .. it's at the discretion of the cop and you're taking a gamble.

If you don't want to pay the fine, don't do the crime It's as simple as that.