Another Pic thread: 03 SRT10

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Pic thread: 03 SRT10

My friend had me snap a few pics of his '03 Viper he bought a week or so ago. I went for a ride with him and the torque on this thing is amazing. I have read about this car in magazines, but never experienced it first hand. First gear you are sideways, shift into second and you get sideways again. Second gear lasts a few seconds and then finally a good chirp into third. I looked at the speedo and we were already over 100 mph. I can see why a lot of people wreck these cars.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Future Seminole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
b e a u t i f u l
Old 05-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah but hows the gas mileage?

Old 05-18-2005, 09:37 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
looks nice
Old 05-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Pit Stop?

80k and no H.I.Ds...............
Old 05-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Munch00
80k and no H.I.Ds...............
SRT-10 Vipers do come with HID.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Drifting

Oh yea and sweet Viper BTW.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
my body shop has a totalled one , well at least it looked totalled
Old 05-19-2005, 12:00 AM
Pit Stop?

Originally Posted by DownUnder
SRT-10 Vipers do come with HID.

Old 05-19-2005, 01:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Thats not Naz's car, is it?
Old 05-19-2005, 02:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

very nice!
Old 05-19-2005, 08:27 AM
G
Bitten.

Originally Posted by BEETROOT

You'd be surprised!! Granted, if you are constantly in the throttle, you will get piss-poor mileage. However, since it has such a tall 6th gear, you can get around 20 mpg.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Thats not Naz's car, is it?
Yep..I have a pic of the rear, but didn't want to post his plate. He got rid of his Z06 a few weeks back and bought this car with roughly 3000 miles on it.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:04 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome car. This one is a little more friendly than the last viper. I drove a GTS and the thing was too much. It was so brutal.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:25 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

who cares!!!
Old 05-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Vipers are just brutal to drive, though I would absolutely love to own one. The ones that I've driven have been scary fun.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Master Graphic Artist

If you worry about milage you should think twice before thinking you can afford it.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by stangg172004
who cares!!!

sar·casm ( P ) Pronunciation Key (särkzm)
A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit1.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:01 PM
G
Bitten.

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Vipers are just brutal to drive, though I would absolutely love to own one. The ones that I've driven have been scary fun.
Damn y'all, they are not that bad to drive!!! Are they your grandma's camry-hell no. But they are not as bad as y'all make them out to be.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by ATXCLS
Damn y'all, they are not that bad to drive!!! Are they your grandma's camry-hell no. But they are not as bad as y'all make them out to be.
Try it on a wet track sometime and you'll understand.

Seriously, they are a ton of fun, but you have respect the fact that they have a ton of power so if you're careless, you'll end up very very sideways.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

If you know how to drive the GTS, its really not that bad as said. I drove it in the rain a few times without any real issues. But if you're not careful, the car will go sideways.

The SRT is a more comfortable car and more refined (has a dead pedal and the interior no longer looks like a kit car). The interior and sills still get very hot though.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
very nice!
Old 05-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Maximized
Yep..I have a pic of the rear, but didn't want to post his plate. He got rid of his Z06 a few weeks back and bought this car with roughly 3000 miles on it.

Yea he came on eurotek and told us! Damn hes got great taste in cars
Old 05-19-2005, 04:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Anyone that tells you that the Viper is an easy car to drive doesn't know what they are talking about. Any car is easy to drive, if you do it like a grandma. Wonder why Vipers always don't pull the greatest lap times? The driver has to be very experienced to be quick with the car.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Senior Moderator

OHHH so this was the viper you were in on the weekend i was at autobahn. Naz said he saw my car there when he was in his. All makes sense now.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
OHHH so this was the viper you were in on the weekend i was at autobahn. Naz said he saw my car there when he was in his. All makes sense now.
Naz has never tracked the Viper. I am not sure it will pass tech. I was in an SVT Cobra and CTSV when I was there. I was just a passenger though.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:32 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
sar·casm ( P ) Pronunciation Key (särkzm)
A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit1.
Thanks! no harm ment, but really, who cares, its a toy, a very, very, very fun toy.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:43 PM
G
Bitten.

Anyone that tells you that the Viper is an easy car to drive doesn't know what they are talking about. Any car is easy to drive, if you do it like a grandma. Wonder why Vipers always don't pull the greatest lap times? The driver has to be very experienced to be quick with the car.
Both Beltfed and I owned Vipers-so I think that we are qualified to say that they are easy to drive around. Now, you are correct in that to really get a good track time, you do have to be very experienced-lots of power and no electronic programs to keep you from wagging the tail make it more intense.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Both Beltfed and I owned Vipers-so I think that we are qualified to say that they are easy to drive around. Now, you are correct in that to really get a good track time, you do have to be very experienced-lots of power and no electronic programs to keep you from wagging the tail make it more intense.
Again, if you drive like a bitch, they are easy to drive. I love how everyone says these cars are easy to drive, but at the track no one can drive them. Driving in a straight line is easy.....
Old 05-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Again, if you drive like a bitch, they are easy to drive. I love how everyone says these cars are easy to drive, but at the track no one can drive them. Driving in a straight line is easy.....
The GenII is a good track car, but as said its not as easy to drive as a Z06. Now, the SRT10 is an easier car to drive than the GenII vehicles.

I knew my car and what it was capable of, let's put it that way.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:28 AM
G
Bitten.

Originally Posted by Beltfed
The GenII is a good track car, but as said its not as easy to drive as a Z06. Now, the SRT10 is an easier car to drive than the GenII vehicles.

I knew my car and what it was capable of, let's put it that way.
very well put.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:35 AM
G
Bitten.

Maybe you didn't read all of my post, otherwise you would have seen that I am in agreement with you about the track driving.

However, pushing it on the street is not as hard as you make it out to be. Once you drive a car a couple of times, too quote Beltfed, "You know it's limits." To give you an example, I took my Viper on this road:

It is actually a lot twistier than it looks. Anyways, I was able to keep up with, and pass most AWD vehicles on this road who were driven by good drivers. In fact, I might even have a vid of me doing this road if I can find it.

Anyways, since you seem so adament to tell us that Vipers are not easy to drive, have you even driven one???
Old 05-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Let's just put it this way, have either of you tracked your Viper? If the answer is no, well than honestly you have no clue to as what the actual limits of the car are. I have never driven the Viper, just been for a ride. I have been told by a friend, whom is a Bondurant Instructor, that they are a hard car to drive fast. Again, driving on the street, any car is easy to drive if you are smart about it. I have driven vehicles that will smoke a Viper. I just always respected the power cause if you are dumb it will bite back...
Old 05-20-2005, 09:32 AM
G
Bitten.

Let's just put it this way, have either of you tracked your Viper? If the answer is no, well than honestly you have no clue to as what the actual limits of the car are. I have never driven the Viper, just been for a ride. I have been told by a friend, whom is a Bondurant Instructor, that they are a hard car to drive fast. Again, driving on the street, any car is easy to drive if you are smart about it. I have driven vehicles that will smoke a Viper. I just always respected the power cause if you are dumb it will bite back...
Yes I have, and yet again, I agree with you about track driving. However, to make such a bold statement as "you have no clue to what the limits of your car are if you have not tracked it" is a very precarious statement. I would say, knowing as much as I do about Beltfed, that he knew his limits-without even traking the car. You can easily find the limits of most car on certian public streets, without doing anything radically stupid. I suggest that in the future, you drive a car before making such a bold statment.

Not much will smoke a Viper (unless heavily modified), what have you driven?

Last edited by G; 05-20-2005 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Let's just put it this way, have either of you tracked your Viper? If the answer is no, well than honestly you have no clue to as what the actual limits of the car are. I have never driven the Viper, just been for a ride. I have been told by a friend, whom is a Bondurant Instructor, that they are a hard car to drive fast.
The answer is yes, I have.......but that is great you went for a ride in one and spoke to a Bondurant Instructor. Paul Mumford was one of the best Viper driver's around (sadly he died in a plane crash). But he used to post all the time on the Viper forum on the Viper's capability.....was extremely informative. Was really no secret that the Viper is not the easiest car to drive on the track.

Must say, I do respect the fact you didn't BS and say you drove one.

But your comments are still internet armchair enthusiast comments, you haven't owned a Viper. Would be like me telling a bunch of 360 owners on the Ferrari forum that if they didn't take their cars on the track.......they don't know how to drive the car. I don't even own a Ferrari 360 toy model.

I had the car for 3 years.....and then it was off

I
Old 05-20-2005, 09:44 AM
G
Bitten.

B-E-A-UTIFULL car Beltfed-I always loved the red. I to this day kick myself for not getting another Viper-as much as I love the Vette, the Viper is just a differnet animal.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes I have, and yet again, I agree with you about track driving. However, to make such a bold statement as "you have no clue to what the limits of your car are if you have not tracked it" is a very precarious statement. I would say, knowing as much as I do about Beltfed, that he knew his limits-without even traking the car. You can easily find the limits of most car on certian public streets, without doing anything radically stupid. I suggest that in the future, you drive a car before making such a bold statment.

Not much will smoke a Viper (unless heavily modified), what have you driven?
FFR Cobra with Carbon Fiber body and 550+hp, a procharged C5, Single Turbo Supra, and a 125cc CRG Shifter kart(will smoke a Viper up to about 90).

I will argue that you really don't know the cars limits unless you track it. Here is why....First, road courses are maintained to a higher level with little debris on the track. Roads have dirt, rocks, salt, etc that don't let the tires adhere to the asphalt properly. Next, you will never get you tires/brakes heated up enough on the streets. Lastly, it takes huge balls and some stupidity to push your car 100% on the street. You never know how the surface is or if there is debris. Plus the police, pedestrians, etc.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:48 AM
G
Bitten.

FFR Cobra with Carbon Fiber body and 550+hp, a procharged C5, Single Turbo Supra, and a 125cc CRG Shifter kart(will smoke a Viper up to about 90).

I will argue that you really don't know the cars limits unless you track it. Here is why....First, road courses are maintained to a higher level with little debris on the track. Roads have dirt, rocks, salt, etc that don't let the tires adhere to the asphalt properly. Next, you will never get you tires/brakes heated up enough on the streets. Lastly, it takes huge balls and some stupidity to push your car 100% on the street. You never know how the surface is or if there is debris. Plus the police, pedestrians, etc.
Ok, can you replicate a road course on public streets? Not really, unless you live in Australia or Monaco, etc. However, the few roads around Austin that I know of have no entrances or exits for miles. The roads are all relatively new and have very little debris on them. Secondly, the Gen II's tires and especially brakes are easily heated up to performance levels with a little spirited driving-just like any other car. Now, does it take some balls? Obviously! However, if you are a competent driver and are very familiar with your car, you pose less danger to the general public than most of the other drivers on the road.

Anyways, the point is, that you can learn how to drive the Viper in a spirited mannerwithout traking it. Beltfed said it more eliquintly, so I suggest that you read his post again.

Last edited by G; 05-20-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:51 AM
G
Bitten.

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
my body shop has a totalled one , well at least it looked totalled
If it is a Gen II, then it doesn't take much to total one. The last quote that I got for a hood from an insurance agency was $16k. That is unpainted mind you.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Ok, can you replicate a road course on public streets? Not really, unless you live in Australia or Monaco, etc. However, the few roads around Austin that I know of have no entrances or exits for miles. The roads are all relatively new and have very little debris on them. Secondly, the Gen II's tires and especially brakes are easily heated up to performance levels with a little spirited driving-just like any other car. Now, does it take some balls? Obviously! However, if you are a competent driver and are very familiar with your car, you pose less danger to the general public than most of the other drivers on the road.

Anyways, the point is, that you can find the upper limits of the car without traking it. Beltfed said it more eliquintly, so I suggest that you read his post again.
So you are telling me that you can get the Vipers brakes red hot and the tires to melt driving on the streets? I don't know if you have a lot of track experience, but I push my cars hard on the street, but will never get it to the limits I do on the track. If you want to agree to disagree that's fine because I am not trying to argue. If you mean you can reach the street limits, that's alright by me. Those street limits aren't the true limits of the vehicle though.

Quick Reply: Another Pic thread: 03 SRT10