another G35C review...plus donuts in the parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 06:20 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
another G35C review...plus donuts in the parking lot

Went to test drive the G35 Coupe today. The car was first and foremost BEAUTIFUL. The curvy lines and wide stance...just the way I like my ladies...

The dealer guy was cool. We bs'ed for a bit about the car and how it was called the Skyline in Japan, etc, etc. Then I asked the guy for a test drive.

I got to drive a six speed through the back roads of PA.

PROs
The car's handling is amazing. The OEM springs are sportier than the CL's...the power band was very uniform...overall a very well performing car. The one I drove even had a Navi w/ directory service (yes it tells you the phone number of the nearest Long John Silver)

CONS
the interior left a bad taste in my mouth. FIrst thing I noticed was that all the frequently used controls were on the right side (ie: Volume, Temperature, Navi joy stick). This is good for the Japanese Skyline because the steering wheel is on the right, but no good for the USDM. The Navi was slow as hell. We sat in the parking lot to play with it. If I was driving I would definitely be concertrating way too much on the functions, etc.

Here comes the best part. The salesman was talking about the Vehicle Stability Assist on the car. I pointed to an empty lot and said, "so it would keep me doing donuts even in the snow?" He says "pull into the lot and find out". He told me to slow down, put it in first and step on the accelerator, then crank to the left hard. I did and wow, it took a bit for the rear to step out. The car did this stutter thing like ABS was kicking in even though I was on the accelerator and not the brake. We kept doing this for a good 8-10 turns. It was mucho fun...in my head I was screaming "weeeeeeeee..."

Needless to say I didn't walk away with that red G35C. I'm going to wait another year for all bugs to be tweeked out then I'll trade my CL-S in for one. Plus I'll be 25 and insurance would be cheaper by then.
Old 12-28-2002, 06:22 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
nice...so you think it is worth the trade?
Old 12-28-2002, 06:26 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

there was still something lacking in that car. Even though it is 280hp it doesn't feel that much faster than my CL-S. When I was driving on a freeway on ramp I kept waiting for that VTEC rush of sound and pull, but of course it wasn't there.

I still have another 11 months to think about it. Hopefully they'll have the GT-R version ready by then. AWD and TURBO!!! Fingers are crossed.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by chikai
there was still something lacking in that car. Even though it is 280hp it doesn't feel that much faster than my CL-S. When I was driving on a freeway on ramp I kept waiting for that VTEC rush of sound and pull, but of course it wasn't there.

I still have another 11 months to think about it. Hopefully they'll have the GT-R version ready by then. AWD and TURBO!!! Fingers are crossed.
lol keep dreaming brotha, keep dreaming

i for one am considering the wrx sti or evo...get a moderate boost controler, and run circles arround z's all day
Old 12-29-2002, 09:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice report chikai

I especially like the part about the donuts

So, Infiniti has VSA on their 6spd models... Hmmm... Is it on full time or can you shut it off (in case you want to do donuts).

I won't be trading my CLS anytime soon, but it's nice to hear what the competition is up to just the same.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:36 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

Opps...I guess it's not called VSA on the Infinits...it's called Vehicle Dynamic Control. Basically there is a gyroscope type device linked to the computer that brakes the wheels when the it senses it's going in the wrong direction that it's not suppose to. So kinda like our VSA technology. There is a little button that shuts it off just like our VSA.

I wouldn't get the STI or the EVO as a daily driver. For about the same amount I'd rather have the luxury items. Plus they just plain look ugly...and I wouldn't want to spend my money on something that ugly.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: another G35C review...plus donuts in the parking lot

Originally posted by chikai
Went to test drive the G35 Coupe today. The car was first and foremost BEAUTIFUL. The curvy lines and wide stance...just the way I like my ladies...

The dealer guy was cool. We bs'ed for a bit about the car and how it was called the Skyline in Japan, etc, etc. Then I asked the guy for a test drive.

I got to drive a six speed through the back roads of PA.

PROs
The car's handling is amazing. The OEM springs are sportier than the CL's...the power band was very uniform...overall a very well performing car. The one I drove even had a Navi w/ directory service (yes it tells you the phone number of the nearest Long John Silver)

CONS
the interior left a bad taste in my mouth. FIrst thing I noticed was that all the frequently used controls were on the right side (ie: Volume, Temperature, Navi joy stick). This is good for the Japanese Skyline because the steering wheel is on the right, but no good for the USDM. The Navi was slow as hell. We sat in the parking lot to play with it. If I was driving I would definitely be concertrating way too much on the functions, etc.

Here comes the best part. The salesman was talking about the Vehicle Stability Assist on the car. I pointed to an empty lot and said, "so it would keep me doing donuts even in the snow?" He says "pull into the lot and find out". He told me to slow down, put it in first and step on the accelerator, then crank to the left hard. I did and wow, it took a bit for the rear to step out. The car did this stutter thing like ABS was kicking in even though I was on the accelerator and not the brake. We kept doing this for a good 8-10 turns. It was mucho fun...in my head I was screaming "weeeeeeeee..."

Needless to say I didn't walk away with that red G35C. I'm going to wait another year for all bugs to be tweeked out then I'll trade my CL-S in for one. Plus I'll be 25 and insurance would be cheaper by then.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good insights