For all you S2000 owners....

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Question For all you S2000 owners....

And people who know alot about them..

Lately I've really been thinking about trading in the CL and getting one. I have a couple questions though. I've never been in one so theres alot I don't know. How much trunk space is there (with the top up and/or down). I'm really having some reservations about getting a two seater so I want to know if it at least has some decent space for carrying stuff. Also, are there any substantial mods out there for under 2gs? Are they comfortable/quiet with the top up at highway speeds? Are there leakage issues? I am probably only going to be able to afford one of the older models. Everyone I have talked to has said that they are a blast to drive, but I guess what I'm trying to find out is, since it will be my only car and my daily driver, will it be an easy car to live with? Thanks in advance.

edit: and what are they like in the snow? are snow tires gonna be a necessity?

Last edited by Shadzilla; 04-18-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I dont have one but wouldnt it without snow tires. It doesnt even have traction control.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
How much trunk space is there (with the top up and/or down).
There is a decent amount of room, but its shaped funny. Its fine for groceries or smaller things that you can move around, but its really bad for bigger things because the entrance is small. I couldn't fit a medium size suitcase in the other day.

Also, are there any substantial mods out there for under 2gs?
Similar pricing to the CL. From what I've heard gains from intake, headers, exhaust are minimal.

Are they comfortable/quiet with the top up at highway speeds?
After the CL, it feels like rolling down the highway in a tin can. There is a lot of wind/road/engine noise. I made one trip to Vegas in the CL, then one in the S2000. I drove about 15 mph slower on average in the S2000 because of wind noise. I wouldn't say its unpleasant, but I stopped answering calls in the car because of the noise.

Are there leakage issues?
Not with mine.

Everyone I have talked to has said that they are a blast to drive, but I guess what I'm trying to find is, since it will be my only car and my daily driver, will it be an easy car to live with?
Yes, it is a blast to drive. As for your daily driver, it depends. Basically, can you live with no room in the car? There is a storage thing behind your elbow with another above it, combined you have about as much space as a large shoebox. Thats it...no pockets in the doors, no glove compartment, nothing.

Its comfortable, the seats are great, but they are nothing like the seats in an Acura. There is no give to them at all. You will not be able to sit with your wallet in your pocket.

I would recommend taking one for a test drive. I love it, its a great car. Its fast, handles well, looks pretty cool, good on gas, but its very very different from any other car I've ever owned.

Oh and the blind spot with the top up is worse than an 18 wheeler.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Yeehaw

Oh and I would imagine its awful in the snow. I break the rear end loose all the time, often without even intending to.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Safety Car

Thanks Beet, you were one of the only people on here that I knew atually had one, I was gonna PM you but since you change your god damn name everyday I didn't know who to PM But thanks for the info, thats pretty much everything I wanted to know, but if anybody has something else to add feel free.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shadzilla
And people who know alot about them..

Lately I've really been thinking about trading in the CL and getting one. I have a couple questions though. I've never been in one so theres alot I don't know. How much trunk space is there (with the top up and/or down). I'm really having some reservations about getting a two seater so I want to know if it at least has some decent space for carrying stuff. Also, are there any substantial mods out there for under 2gs? Are they comfortable/quiet with the top up at highway speeds? Are there leakage issues? I am probably only going to be able to afford one of the older models. Everyone I have talked to has said that they are a blast to drive, but I guess what I'm trying to find out is, since it will be my only car and my daily driver, will it be an easy car to live with? Thanks in advance.

edit: and what are they like in the snow? are snow tires gonna be a necessity?
I had a 2001 model and am looking to purchase either a new 2006 (when it comes out...hopefully it's impressive) or a 2003 certified one. The trunk barely fits a full size golf bag and not much else. The top tucks away behind the seats and the roll bar, so it has no effect on the storage space. There are no leakage issues with the top, and it sounds like a reasonable convertible at highway speeds with it closed. Mods are aplenty, but more often you see enthusiast owners seeking better handling than power. Unless you supercharge it, you're not going to get a bunch of power out of the F20. That thing has 120 hp/litre (on the 2000-2003 models). That is the highest specific output for any N/A production engine. Honda has a pretty good thing going. Even on the 2004+ models. Though they did give it a couple changes like increased torque and flexibility (from the increased engine size from 2.0 to 2.2L at the sacrifice of the 9k redline to 8k).

Quite simply, it is the most fun I have ever had in a car. I have driven everything and I still feel this way. From Ferraris to Porsches to beaters. It's the best bang-for-the-buck car out there.

Most guys that live in winter environments garage it over the winter (hopefully it's a second car if you live where it snows).

It's a very easy car to live with if you don't have kids to tote around and don't need to carry much in the car. Other than that, you'll love it if you truly love all that Honda has to offer in this car.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kurt_bradley
Quite simply, it is the most fun I have ever had in a car. I have driven everything and I still feel this way. From Ferraris to Porsches to beaters. It's the best bang-for-the-buck car out there.

Most guys that live in winter environments garage it over the winter (hopefully it's a second car if you live where it snows).

It's a very easy car to live with if you don't have kids to tote around and don't need to carry much in the car. Other than that, you'll love it if you truly love all that Honda has to offer in this car.

Thanks Kurt, unfortunately I don't have another car and it does snow where I live so thats a concern. I don't have kids or anything and thats part of the reason why I'm interested in getting the car now, cause this may be the only time in my life I can get away with a car like this. I'm definitely bored with the CL, its a great car and all but I really miss having a sports car (used to have a Z28), and the CL is almost too quiet/refined/civilized for my tastes. I have also been considering a GTO but with gas prices the way they are, and with the difference I've seen in build quality/reliability between GM and Honda, I've been leaning towards the S2K. I also love the open air (my Z had T-tops), and the GTO unfortunately doesn't come with anything other than a fixed roof. (even a sunroof wouldn't do it for me). So the S2K is definitely appealing, just don't know if it will work as a daily driver/only car for me.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:38 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
IMO, this isn't a good daily driver for you Noshad. They are tight inside. Definately fun cars though.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Shadzilla, you should look out for or PM LiQice. He's got a 2004+ S2K and a TL-S and lives out in Reston. You should ask him how he deals with the winter months and what suggestions he might have about getting a second car in the area.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CLpower
IMO, this isn't a good daily driver for you Noshad. They are tight inside. Definately fun cars though.
Yeah unfortunately thats what i'm starting to think too. My other option would be to keep the CL and finish school, then buy a used one. But I'm not trying to have two car payments while paying off student loans (plus I need to start thinking about getting a house). Other than being tight inside, why else you think its not good for me? You think I'm a fat ass or something?
Old 04-18-2005, 03:03 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Shadzilla, you should look out for or PM LiQice. He's got a 2004+ S2K and a TL-S and lives out in Reston. You should ask him how he deals with the winter months and what suggestions he might have about getting a second car in the area.
Yeah he let a friend of mine drive it and thats kinda what jump started this whole S2K thing for me. Unfortunately money is tight and there is pretty much no way i can afford two cars (I don't believe in beaters). I wonder if I just throw on a hartop and snow tires, will it be ok for winter driving? We get snow, but not that much.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:04 PM
Team Owner

Yeah he let a friend of mine drive it and thats kinda what jump started this whole S2K thing for me. Unfortunately money is tight and there is pretty much no way i can afford two cars (I don't believe in beaters). I wonder if I just throw on a hartop and snow tires, will it be ok for winter driving? We get snow, but not that much.
Do you live and work near metro accessible areas? If so, you shouldn't even worry about it and just metro it on snow days.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Safety Car

Nope, and I doubt there will be metro anywhere near sterling in my lifetime! But honestly the winter stuff doesn't concern me too much, cause realistically how much snow do we get, you know? And on the random occasion we get some massive snow storm/blizzard, everything shuts down anyway. But I just don't want to end up in a ditch somewhere the one time i get caught driving in a snow storm. The lack of seats/cargo space will be more of a problem.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:16 PM
misanthropist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am on my second s2k, snow is not an option on the stock tires, you would absolutely have to have a set of snow tires, and snow wheels with tires obviously would be better....

the car is cramped, that is all there is to it, but after giving it up i wanted to drive one again so bad i ended up getting another one...

oh and now having had the 04 and now with an 03

04 > 03 anyday even though everyone thinks 9k is hot shit (which it is) the 04 has a more refined suspension and was quicker through the gears almost everytime... just easier as a dd

a few more convenient things like a second couple holder, a clock you can see, and the added shoulder room made it a much more useful car if it is going to be your only one... plus the stock rims on the 04-05 are an inch wider and handle better (obviously with more grip) imo....

if you are local hit me up and you can come check mine out, i am in tyson's

if you do have to get an older one, get the 02-03 with the upgraded rear glass window vs plastic, and an upgraded sound system if you can call it that....

never had the hardtop, but my S was never outside in the snow except for when i picked it up, i hope you have a garage spot for it???
Old 04-18-2005, 03:20 PM
misanthropist

i should clarify, anything before 40F is a no-no on the stock tires, made that mistake once and almost lost it sideways in the ditch when it was like 38-39F out on a clear day
Old 04-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Team Owner

Nope, and I doubt there will be metro anywhere near sterling in my lifetime! But honestly the winter stuff doesn't concern me too much, cause realistically how much snow do we get, you know? And on the random occasion we get some massive snow storm/blizzard, everything shuts down anyway. But I just don't want to end up in a ditch somewhere the one time i get caught driving in a snow storm. The lack of seats/cargo space will be more of a problem.
If you don't mind never being able to drive when you and some friends want to go out and if you never buy stuff from Costco or another wearhouse store, you should be fine.

How tall and wide are you that you'd be worrying about space? I'm 5'11" and have never had any problems fitting comfortably inside an S2K. In fact, the size is near perfect for me.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Master Graphic Artist

I was thinking about getting an S2000 instead of my TSX, the only thing that got to me was space.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004

How tall and wide are you that you'd be worrying about space? I'm 5'11" and have never had any problems fitting comfortably inside an S2K. In fact, the size is near perfect for me.
Oh I'm sure I'd fit in one fine, I'm more worried about cargo space. I carry lots of stuff from time to time, and i'm just curious whether, for example, I could drive up to Atlantic city for the weekend with a passenger and a weekends worth of stuff. (packing lightly, of course).
Old 04-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 03typeS6spd

if you are local hit me up and you can come check mine out, i am in tyson's

Def, I might have to take you up on that offer. I'm in sterling but I go to school in DC so go through tysons every day during my commute. I would love to have an '04, but unfortunately I just don't think I'll be able to afford one.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Yeehaw

Oh I'm sure I'd fit in one fine, I'm more worried about cargo space. I carry lots of stuff from time to time, and i'm just curious whether, for example, I could drive up to Atlantic city for the weekend with a passenger and a weekends worth of stuff. (packing lightly, of course).

You could fit your stuff in duffle bags, but not suitcases. If you haven't seen the trunk I'll snap a pic when I get home today.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Team Owner

You better plan on packing real light, then, because you'll probably be able to fit about two moderate sized duffles in the trunk and not much else. It's a tight fit for sure.

The S2K really isn't all that practical as an only car, so if you're looking for the excitement but need more space, maybe you should consider something a little more practical like a used G35 coupe or something similar to that.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:03 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
I've been seriously considering one too - as a third.

My main hang-up is that Michigan weather is shitty for 2/3rds of the year. Another strike is that we don't have a ton of twisties in SE Michigan.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by PistonFan
I've been seriously considering one too - as a third.

My main hang-up is that Michigan weather is shitty for 2/3rds of the year. Another strike is that we don't have a ton of twisties in SE Michigan.
I hear that. The entire city of phoenix is built on a grid, I have to drive half an hour to find a road with a curve in it.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,939 Likes on 5,546 Posts
I always said, the S2k is a great 3rd car. At this point I think it's a great 2nd car. But no, I would highly advise against it being your primary car, unless you live in a (year-round) tropical climate. I'm also thinking about getting one, I love em.

srika
Old 04-18-2005, 05:32 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearded Root
I hear that. The entire city of phoenix is built on a grid, I have to drive half an hour to find a road with a curve in it.

Werd.

Oh, and I also forgot that strike three is that 70% of the roads here are pitted with mega fucking potholes. Shiezer!

Still love the S2K?...

Dare I say that the S2K offers 9/10ths the performance of an NSX at 1/3rd the price? (flamewar)

Last edited by PistonFan; 04-18-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PistonFan
Dare I say that the S2K offers 9/10ths the performance of an NSX at 1/3rd the price? (flamewar)
Being a person that has track experience in both cars, you're not getting flamed by me on that one. I don't think anyone else on here has the experience in both like I have. More like 8/10 though. The NSX has a little bit more mid-range pull that can make up for a couple seconds around the track. Other than that, they're both great.