Adventures with the 07 MDX...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Adventures with the 07 MDX...

So I took my mother to Acura of Boston today to look at the RDX to see if she thought it was the right size for her. Though a fun little car she quickly concluded it was just that, a fun little car. So, possibly being too hopeful, I got her looking at the new MDX's.

First let me say, these things look 100 times better in person than they do in pictures. I found them quite ugly in the pictures but in person they look nothing but strong and badass.

Surprising, due to larger income on her part, we will likely be getting an 07 MDX with Tech, where as I was under the impression that the RDX was pushing it. We didn't get too far into negotiations with the salesman today, but it seems as if we will be able to get relatively close to invoice. I told him he was ready to sell me an RDX for invoice, and that it has a month out on the MDX, and that obviously he is capable of doing it... At that he asked if he did it if we would sign tonight... Of course I said no, as my mother isn't just going to drop 41K without informing my dad, who is now surprisingly optimistic(usually he gets all depressed at the mention of spending money).

Anyway, we test drove the MDX, we being my mother. First let me say, this vehicle is really, really nice. In terms of interior quality, I have been in X5s and Q7s, and this beats them out by A LOT. There are many soft surfaces, the seats are nice and plush, it is all very aesthetically pleasing (again moreso than in the pictures), and the cockpit is nothing short of beautiful. It has the 410 Watt ELS system, RL navi, and power everything, from 8 way passenger seat to steering wheel adjustment. It also feels very spacious and very commanding inside.

The car drove very nicely. We test drove the one with the sport package(Active Damper suspension) and I truthfully did not notice much of a difference in comfort mode other than it rocked a bit more. If they had just the suspension as an option, I would be all for it, but at part of a 2 grand package, it is not going to happen. My mother being the nervous tester, didn't get on the gas too much, but she claims it handled very well (with skid-pad reports at .85gs I'd hope so), I couldn't tell as none of the driving was intense, but having driven our minivan I imagine it is much better. For those of you who aren't aware, the MDX is equipped with a 300HP, 275Ftlb tq, 3.7L Aluminum block V6, mated to a 5 speed automatic transmission and SH-AWD power distribution setup.

What I found quite funny, is in the car ride home, our 1.5 year old TL smelled brand new. I couldn't quite figure out why, but than I realized that the brochure was seemingly scented. I ran it by my parents and siblings and they agree, it smells like new car

Anyway. Just thought I'd share my excitement. Hopefully in the following weeks this will unfold into the purchase of an 07X with tech. We are already planning to go back next week, and my father may go with me tomorrow night to test drive it himself, having never even seen one in person.

Anyone else test drive this already? I am a member at acuramdx.org (have been for some time), but figured I'd inquire as to if any Azine buddies had input.

Mike
Old 11-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the new MDX's.

They've barely been released and they're going for invoice already?
Old 11-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
We need an MDX forum here... More Milfs for Mr. Monster
Old 11-18-2006, 01:56 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ive test driven it. i liked it a lot. both front and rear seats very comfy. power was good. handling was great. ride was smooth. i like the power rear hatch. only thing i didnt like is the new keyfob is fuckin HUGE and theres no pushbutton start or smart key. also it looks like its missing something without running boards. overall though i liked it a lot.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster

Nice write up. I hope soon to go and test drive one myself.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:43 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
If I was to buy new this year (2007), it would be the MDX and not my TL.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by psteng19
I like the new MDX's.

They've barely been released and they're going for invoice already?
Of course not, it must be negotiated. I am off to a bittersweet start. The dealer I have met face to face with said he thought he could help us out, where as the web dealers are being quite bitchy. The RDX's have been out about 2 months longer than the MDX and are already going at invoice, so I am waving that in his face.

Mike
Old 11-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adventures with the 07 MDX

I'm shopping for a luxury SUV to replace both by TSX and Nissan Pathfinder. I drove the new MDX this morning and was impressed. But I need a vehicle to occasionally tow a trailer that weighs close to 5000lbs when my horses on loaded. My only reservation about the MDX is how can a SUV that drives so much like a fine car be robust enough to manage this kind of fairly heavy-duty towing duties? I know it's rated at 5000lb tow capacity, but I still wonder. Anyone have any input on this?

Also, after looking at the photos, I decided I liked the styling, except for the strange "shield" grille insert. But looking at the MDX in person......that part is STILL repulsively ugly. What were they thinking??
Old 11-21-2006, 01:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster

I want an new MDX as well.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:09 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Old 11-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by grendel

Also, after looking at the photos, I decided I liked the styling, except for the strange "shield" grille insert. But looking at the MDX in person......that part is STILL repulsively ugly. What were they thinking??
I like the shield grille. I had reservation about it during the concept stages (saw it at the NY Auto show). But when they added the little dimples in it for the production model, it looked a lot better.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Drifting

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
I like the new MDX's except for that odd looking grill insert.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

I am sure you can safely tow to its rated weight, but I would get the sport package as it has auto leveling headlights.

Personally, I wouldn't feel right towing 5K lbs through a Honda drive train. If you are towing anything with real weight it would be advisable to get something with a live rear axle and a V8 along with a trailer brake controler, and possibly auto leveling suspension. GM>Ford so take a look some new GMC's Chevrolets, or if you really want, Cadillacs. Personally I'd take a 2500HD with the Dmax and Allison , but thats a pick up.

The new MDX looks so much better both inside and out in person than it does in pictures, it is hard to explain. It looks VERY badass though. I'll post pics when we get it(should be in the next 1-3 weeks, but may be a bit longer)

Mike
Old 11-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

I have received an offer at close to 2K under MSRP with about 200-500 in accessories included(haven't quite finished negotiations yet). We are still going to be waiting a couple weeks (most likely) before pulling the trigger on anything. This is at a dealer a few miles away, our local dealer has over 45 new MDXs on the lot, so I am hoping for some more flexibility on their part.

Ultimately we will be deciding between the Sport Model or the Technology Model(tech package included with sport). There is a about an 1800 dollar price difference between the two I feel is well justified(in fact I am offering to pay for half of it). For the difference we would get nicer looking, though the same size, rims, auto-leveling headlights, nicer leather, more aluminum inside(for looks), and most importantly, the active damper system.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Mike
Old 11-28-2006, 01:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grendel
I'm shopping for a luxury SUV to replace both by TSX and Nissan Pathfinder. I drove the new MDX this morning and was impressed. But I need a vehicle to occasionally tow a trailer that weighs close to 5000lbs when my horses on loaded. My only reservation about the MDX is how can a SUV that drives so much like a fine car be robust enough to manage this kind of fairly heavy-duty towing duties? I know it's rated at 5000lb tow capacity, but I still wonder. Anyone have any input on this?

In my opinion, MDX looks great but if you need to tow a 5000Ibs trailer, this may not be the vehicle you want to get. Who knows how the transmission would handle with this type of weight. I have a Nissan Armada. This thing is huge but it has plenty of torque.

Just my $0.02.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:50 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
MDX is the wrong SUV to tow with.