Acura TL or Infiniti G35

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 10:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TL or Infiniti G35

I'm lookin to get a new Whip, right now I have a 2000 A4 quattro, sine I live in RI i get a good winter snow now and then. I'm looking at the G35 and the TL (the G35 only comes as AWD in an automatic so i'd have to get it RWD).
I like and hate RWD (like cuz of the performance and hate cuz I'd need new wheels and snow tires). Don't like the fact of buying tires and rims for a car i'm gonna lease, so thats why i'm lookin at the TL.

I think the G35 has some more toys in it, but the Acura seems very nice. Did anyone else shop the G35 before buyin a TL?

I'm gonna test drive the G35, the FX35, the TL. Im still not sure if I want a small SUV or not but i figured i'd test drive the FX cuz its really sporty and quick for an SUV. Only thing is that its not a stick, (never owned an AUtomatic, and swore never to lol). Looked at the MDX but it seems kinda cheap inside, especially the climate control. so that turned me right off. (its the little details that sell me a car, and the Japs seem to skimp on them a lot, so its hard, but thats why their cars are cheaper then the germans eh?)

anyway i'll end this long post, thanks in advance for any useful info you can provide to help me make a good decision. I know eitherway i'll be happy, i just wanna get the best bang for my buck and wanna be happy for the 36 months of my lease.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 08-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Advanced

What a horrible horrible thread you've started
Old 08-03-2004, 10:57 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

You sound like G35 material to me. Hate to lose a potential TL'er, but facts are facts and the way you come across just screams "G35 man".

Enjoy the car. You'll love it.

BJ
Old 08-03-2004, 10:57 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of many: http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88114

:'(
Old 08-03-2004, 10:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here we go again...

-r
Old 08-03-2004, 10:58 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

You sound like G35 material to me. Hate to lose a potential TL'er, but facts are facts and the way you come across just screams "G35 man".

Enjoy the car. It was made for you.

BJ
Old 08-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Beholder
I'm lookin to get a new Whip, right now I have a 2000 A4 quattro, sine

I think the G35 has some more toys in it, but the Acura seems very nice
:sqnteek: R U FRIGGIN KIDDING?! THE ACURA HAS SOOOOO MANY MORE TOYS AND GADGETS THAN THE G35. The navigation of the Acura's ALPINE 8" touchscreen DWARDS and BLOWS away the Infinitis crappy non-touch-screen Navi. Lets see the g35 with Bluetooth technology wireless handsfree link,. Lets see the Infiniti w/ Voice Activated ANYTHING. Lets see the G35 with SOLAR SENSING Climate control. oh wait, IT DOESNT EVEN HAVE THE OPTION of those which come STANDARD on the TL. Go w. the TL my friend. You have no reason to get the G. FWD handles better in weather which sounds important to you.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Advanced

LOL Yea i totally agree. You sound dead pressed on the G35 and i honestly don't see how. I just went by the Infiniti place here in my area just to take a look at them to see what they were all about since many people talk about them up here. And i sat in one and actually test drove it, and i was totally NOT impressed. First off and prolly more importantly, the interior of the G35 plain out SUCKS Absolutely too plain. And i don't know what you're talking about as far as it having a little more gadgets than the TL. And the orange gauge lights are totally out dated. The guy told me to keep in touch with them to let them know what's up, b/c i had also told them i test drove the TL. I think i'm going to call them and let them know the G35 doesn't have :shit: on the new TL. Interior wise, ext. and all other kind of category.

Anyway those are just my 2 cents on this topic. Oh and yes it is a
Old 08-03-2004, 11:21 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SitAndMeditate
I know it dont these Maxima/G35 vs TL threads annoy you, they tend to be repetitive and get ugly! No more G35/Maxima vs TL threads please!
Old 08-03-2004, 11:23 PM
Pro

I'm lookin to get a new Whip, right now I have a 2000 A4 quattro, sine I live in RI i get a good winter snow now and then. I'm looking at the G35 and the TL (the G35 only comes as AWD in an automatic so i'd have to get it RWD).
I like and hate RWD (like cuz of the performance and hate cuz I'd need new wheels and snow tires). Don't like the fact of buying tires and rims for a car i'm gonna lease, so thats why i'm lookin at the TL.

I think the G35 has some more toys in it, but the Acura seems very nice. Did anyone else shop the G35 before buyin a TL?

I'm gonna test drive the G35, the FX35, the TL. Im still not sure if I want a small SUV or not but i figured i'd test drive the FX cuz its really sporty and quick for an SUV. Only thing is that its not a stick, (never owned an AUtomatic, and swore never to lol). Looked at the MDX but it seems kinda cheap inside, especially the climate control. so that turned me right off. (its the little details that sell me a car, and the Japs seem to skimp on them a lot, so its hard, but thats why their cars are cheaper then the germans eh?)

anyway i'll end this long post, thanks in advance for any useful info you can provide to help me make a good decision. I know eitherway i'll be happy, i just wanna get the best bang for my buck and wanna be happy for the 36 months of my lease.

Thanks,
Andy
Those are all nice cars, you are going to have a hard decision to make. I don't think any of them is a bad choice at all, whatever suits you in the end.

I shopped the G35 vs the TL and it was pretty hard. I needed a sedan, or else I'd be driving a G35 coupe right now. The G35 Sedan didn't grab my attention with it's styling the way the TL did. Otherwise, they both drove nice, but different in some ways. I also felt the same about the G35 interior as you did about the MDX. Just turned me off right away, just not my taste.

As far as toys, if you mean electronic gadgets and other perks and creature comforts that are standard or options on the car, I think the TL more toys. The ones that they both have in common, I think Acura has done better with those. (for the most part)

The FX35 is pretty cool from what I've seen, but I really have no first hand experience, so I'll keep my mouth shut.

The topic has been done to death so try a search and you'll dig up a whoe lot more. I figured I'd try to get a useful answer in here before we get piss on our boots from the TL vs whatever piss war :pee:

Good luck with your decision
Old 08-03-2004, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by EggrollXpress61
:sqnteek: R U FRIGGIN KIDDING?! THE ACURA HAS SOOOOO MANY MORE TOYS AND GADGETS THAN THE G35. The navigation of the Acura's ALPINE 8" touchscreen DWARDS and BLOWS away the Infinitis crappy non-touch-screen Navi. Lets see the g35 with Bluetooth technology wireless handsfree link,. Lets see the Infiniti w/ Voice Activated ANYTHING. Lets see the G35 with SOLAR SENSING Climate control. oh wait, IT DOESNT EVEN HAVE THE OPTION of those which come STANDARD on the TL. Go w. the TL my friend. You have no reason to get the G. FWD handles better in weather which sounds important to you.
I thought you were getting rid of your TL or something?

Beholder, please, this has been discussed over and over and over. Read here, the G35 forums, drive both extensively and make the best choice for you.

And coming from the AWD Audi, the AWD G35x is a natural choice.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:28 AM
Racer

Spend some time here:
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB25 for info on the G35. I spent a lot of time there when I was considering the FX35. LOVE that thing

In the end we got the TL because my wife wanted a sedan and the new car was going to be for her. Acura quality and reliability was a major part of it, plus the TL looks/rides so nice. I may still get an FX for me. Then I can have both The only thing i don't like about the FX (also applies to the G) is that the interior reminds me of an early '80s Toyota. Especially the steering wheel.

I just learned yesterday that my wife's brother got a G35x over the weekend. Poor sap.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:35 AM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 08-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Not only have I "cross shopped" them, but I have now owned both a 2003.5 G35, and I now own a 2004 TL. Here is my take on them...

G35 - Better performance. I think it is a little quicker. Wide open from a dead stop, they are probably about even, and the magazine tests back this up. But in real world driving where you are accelerating from different speeds the G35 has better performance because of its low end torque. The G35 handles noticably better. The RWD is part of the reason. But I also notice the shock damping in the TL is not quite as good. I'm not talking huge differences here on either count, but some difference.

I was very happy with the overall quality of the G35 except the front facia is very succeptable to paint chips (both Infinitis I've owned are really bad about this). My biggest complaint against the G35 is that the seats never really felt just "right" to me. Oddly, the seats in the FX feel very comfortable to me even though they are pretty close to the same seat.

TL - Nicer interior. Better gas mileage (much better, in fact). Better stereo. The seats are much more comfortable to me than the G35 - the car in general just has a better feel to me for all around driving.

GADGETS. Everybody raves about all the features of the TL. But in reality the only two that stand above the G35 are bluetooth and the DVD-A stereo. In the case of the Bluetooth, I am one of the one's that does not use it yet because my phone carrier has not good Bluetooth phones yet. DVD-A? Limited availability of discs.

And actually, the G35 has a couple of "gadgets" the TL does not have. Like auto up & down windows front and back. Also, like almost every other car on the road EXCEPT the TL, it has automatic headlights. The G35 also has better interior storage, and a more usable center armrest.

I liked both cars and would tell you to buy whichever one you like best. There are some very emotional TL owners on this board who really hate the G35. But I was actually pretty happy with mine.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:14 AM
Banned

Well either way your going to have to buy tires at least for the TL. The TL tires it comes with are worthless in the snow. You are going to have very biased opinions on this forum for the TL. I shopped and ended up with the G35 sedan because I wanted a car that was more fun to drive (like a sports car) than a luxury car. The TL originally was my first choice but it changed after driving both several times.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 08-04-2004, 07:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SitAndMeditate
Nah, as long as the few trolls (BJ) stay out of this thread it will stay calm.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:18 AM
Banned

Actually having a screen in the middle of the dash instead of a pop up nav is uglier. When you don't want to use teh NAV its nice to be able to tuck it away. Who cares about bluetooth, alot of people still don't use the technology or haev a use for it. The G35 has very good climate control, better than my CL-S had.

INFINITI =

better service
better warranty
better resale on the g35 only
better performance
better build quality

Acura =

better gadgets
better luxury
better interior
better quality of materials (in some cases)
Old 08-04-2004, 07:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SpecialFX
Spend some time here:
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB25 for info on the G35. I spent a lot of time there when I was considering the FX35. LOVE that thing

In the end we got the TL because my wife wanted a sedan and the new car was going to be for her. Acura quality and reliability was a major part of it, plus the TL looks/rides so nice. I may still get an FX for me. Then I can have both The only thing i don't like about the FX (also applies to the G) is that the interior reminds me of an early '80s Toyota. Especially the steering wheel.

I just learned yesterday that my wife's brother got a G35x over the weekend. Poor sap.
Too bad the Acura isn't all that reliable. Especially with falling headliners and auto trannys blowing up.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:59 AM
Racer

if I was buying 2 door then I'd buy the g35 coupe...but I think the sedan version is ugly.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Racer

TL_6SPD, you are the TROLL in this forum. This thread was ok until your ugly ass come through.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:08 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TL_6SPD
Too bad the Acura isn't all that reliable. Especially with falling headliners and auto trannys blowing up.

My Acura is very reliable.....it's only been in the shop once since I've had it and that was for a cosmetic issue/detail issue. My guess is that most would agree with me as well.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jjsC5
Not only have I "cross shopped" them, but I have now owned both a 2003.5 G35, and I now own a 2004 TL. Here is my take on them...

G35 - Better performance. I think it is a little quicker. Wide open from a dead stop, they are probably about even, and the magazine tests back this up. But in real world driving where you are accelerating from different speeds the G35 has better performance because of its low end torque. The G35 handles noticably better. The RWD is part of the reason. But I also notice the shock damping in the TL is not quite as good. I'm not talking huge differences here on either count, but some difference.

I was very happy with the overall quality of the G35 except the front facia is very succeptable to paint chips (both Infinitis I've owned are really bad about this). My biggest complaint against the G35 is that the seats never really felt just "right" to me. Oddly, the seats in the FX feel very comfortable to me even though they are pretty close to the same seat.

TL - Nicer interior. Better gas mileage (much better, in fact). Better stereo. The seats are much more comfortable to me than the G35 - the car in general just has a better feel to me for all around driving.

GADGETS. Everybody raves about all the features of the TL. But in reality the only two that stand above the G35 are bluetooth and the DVD-A stereo. In the case of the Bluetooth, I am one of the one's that does not use it yet because my phone carrier has not good Bluetooth phones yet. DVD-A? Limited availability of discs.

And actually, the G35 has a couple of "gadgets" the TL does not have. Like auto up & down windows front and back. Also, like almost every other car on the road EXCEPT the TL, it has automatic headlights. The G35 also has better interior storage, and a more usable center armrest.

I liked both cars and would tell you to buy whichever one you like best. There are some very emotional TL owners on this board who really hate the G35. But I was actually pretty happy with mine.
JJSC5-

I couldn't agree with you more. I too owned an 03.5 G35S. Some other things I miss from the G35:

- The compass (I don't have the Nav in the TL)
- The multi-disk random play on the Bose, Acura only plays random on one CD
- The ability to cycle through the CD's in the changer via the steering wheel controls
- The ability to turn on the stereo via the mode button on the steering wheel controls

However, the things that I do not miss far surpass the above list. I do not miss

- The position of the mirror control
- The position of the seat memory control
- The fact that the seat memory is not linked to the key fob (which means that you have to find and hit the seat memory control buttons to change the setttings between drivers)
- The fact that the seat memory does not include the outside mirrors.
- The fact that every time you turn on the climate control the A/C button activates
- To me, the driver's seat was very uncomfortable on long trips
- The steering wheel does not telescope
- My stereo did not play burnt CD's very well. They were ALL distorted. The same CD's work fine in the TL.
- No high beam HID
- Gas mileage was poor
- The HID's were not as good as the TL
- Interior materials are not as nice as the TL

Otherwise, I miss the G35's 6 speed (I have an auto TL) and the low end torque. Plus I miss the G's chasis- always felt very nimble to me. If you prefer luxury go with the TL, if you want performance with a bit less luxury, go with the G35. Either way, you cannot go wrong.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Pro

Although the jury's out on performance numbers, the new 2005 G35 Coupe and Sedan will have 295hp and 277hp respectively. Dunno if this makes the sedan any quicker though.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tripp11

My Acura is very reliable.....it's only been in the shop once since I've had it and that was for a cosmetic issue/detail issue. My guess is that most would agree with me as well.

Mine too. Same with my Prelude...it was bulletproof.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:19 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SlntSam
Mine too. Same with my Prelude...it was bulletproof.
Which gen Lude?? The 5G Lude had quality that exceeded Lexus standards; it's shameful that Honda discontinued it IMO.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Buy a Hyundai, much better for you.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DARK6mt
TL_6SPD, you are the TROLL in this forum. This thread was ok until your ugly ass come through.
I didn't say anything bad. So what is your problem? Are you now trying to start something?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You must get all of your info from complaints here, the 100 out of 50,000 owners that post here. I've had zero problems since October. Best built car I have ever owned.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:32 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
Which gen Lude?? The 5G Lude had quality has exceeded Lexus standards; it's shameful that Honda discontinued it IMO.
The last Prelude was a car that I lusted after in high school and college. It might sound weird, because some people thought it was bland, but all I wanted was a Prelude Type SH...

If I had the finances for another car and could find a low mileage well kept Prelude with the ATTS, I would be all over that!

Sorry for the hijack...but this thread looks like its going down the drain anyway...
Old 08-04-2004, 09:12 AM
Cruisin'

Wow, didn't mean to fire the shot heard round the world

Thanks for all your useful posts. I'm not set on anything yet, actually after reading all these posts i'm more intrigued by the TL then ever before. When I first started car shopping i was immediatley drawn to the TL, and i think thats where I may end up. I'm not exactly sold on the SUV yet, and not sure if i need one. Where i work wehavea lot of pickups so if i need to haul something i can just steal one of them. I want a Stick, (which is why i couldn't get a G35 AWD, cuz its an automatic only).
I was putting up this post to get actual information that matters, like the little things that matter, not ust magazine specs. Things like Touch screen vs. non touch screen, Seat Comfort, Non-memory everything, awkward controls, and etc are exactly what I wanted to compare, and let me say, you guys did a great job. I'm going today to the dealer (who sells both Infiniti and Acura) so I will drive both. I'm gonna drive the FX the G35, and the TL and will then come home and think it over and hopefully make a purchase later this week.

I'm in no way bias towards teh G35, and let me say ( your gonna like this) You guys responded with way more useful info then the G35 forum

I'll let ya knwo how the test drives went. (and sorry for the repostof the thread).

Thanks,
Andy
Old 08-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for all your useful posts. I'm not set on anything yet, actually after reading all these posts i'm more intrigued by the TL then ever before. When I first started car shopping i was immediatley drawn to the TL, and i think thats where I may end up. I'm not exactly sold on the SUV yet, and not sure if i need one. Where i work wehavea lot of pickups so if i need to haul something i can just steal one of them. I want a Stick, (which is why i couldn't get a G35 AWD, cuz its an automatic only).
I was putting up this post to get actual information that matters, like the little things that matter, not ust magazine specs. Things like Touch screen vs. non touch screen, Seat Comfort, Non-memory everything, awkward controls, and etc are exactly what I wanted to compare, and let me say, you guys did a great job. I'm going today to the dealer (who sells both Infiniti and Acura) so I will drive both. I'm gonna drive the FX the G35, and the TL and will then come home and think it over and hopefully make a purchase later this week.

I'm in no way bias towards teh G35, and let me say ( your gonna like this) You guys responded with way more useful info then the G35 forum

I'll let ya knwo how the test drives went. (and sorry for the repostof the thread).

Thanks,
Andy
Let me say as a G35 owner with 55,000 miles on it I would get the TL myself. I agree that the G35 outperforms the TL barely and RWD is more fun to drive than FWD but the interior of the TL is the best, bar none, for cars under $45,000. If you want pure performance and do not care abotu anything but performance then the G35 is right for you. I like a little luxury with great performance and that is what the TL gives you. The TL was not out at the time I bought the G. As for bluetooth and DVD-A they are pretty much worthless. Very few phones work with the bluetooth and if you are with Verizon good luck finding a phone where you can use all of the features. I also believe most people burn their own CD's so DVD-A is pretty much worthless to me as I do burn my own. To sum it up:

G35 - Pure performance where you have to settle for a mediocre interior.
TL - Pure luxury with great performance but you to have to give a little performance away because of the FWD.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SlntSam
if I was buying 2 door then I'd buy the g35 coupe...but I think the sedan version is ugly.

I agree.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:18 AM
SOLD

I took my TL to the bodyshop I had it repaired at (different story) for a different headlight yesterday. One of the workers there had a G35 so I decided to park right next to it. His was gray mine is black. Next to eachother, I was hard pressed to see why anyone would pick the G35 styling over the TL. The Tl flows in smooth curves all the way back while the G35 has a short sloping hood, then artificially heightened cabin roof line, then a tail cutoff which looks like they forgot to make the last foot of the car. Not to mention the plain round exhaust sticking out past the bumper, compared to the TL's smooth bumper integrated exhaust. The sound when he drove it away...it sounded beefy, but also un-natural and rough like the 6 cylinder mustang that has more sound than power. The TL sounds smooth, quiet, and refined, luxurious yet still growls at high rpms. I won't even go into the interior.....
Old 08-04-2004, 11:21 AM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Although the jury's out on performance numbers, the new 2005 G35 Coupe and Sedan will have 295hp and 277hp respectively. Dunno if this makes the sedan any quicker though.
Not all coupes will have the 295 its on a special package on the coupe.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:30 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Brock_Landers
As for bluetooth and DVD-A they are pretty much worthless. Very few phones work with the bluetooth and if you are with Verizon good luck finding a phone where you can use all of the features. I also believe most people burn their own CD's so DVD-A is pretty much worthless to me as I do burn my own.
With most of the Northeast using Verizon Wireless (best rate/service/coverage), Bluetooth IS useless other than just as an added selling point.

And what can I say about DVD-A, it's an innovative feature for innovation's sake at this point. But there is some debate between audiophiles as to whether or not Sony's SACD is better than Panasonic's DVD-A. what the future holds on this one.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Racer

Actually having a screen in the middle of the dash instead of a pop up nav is uglier. When you don't want to use teh NAV its nice to be able to tuck it away. Who cares about bluetooth, alot of people still don't use the technology or haev a use for it. The G35 has very good climate control, better than my CL-S had.

INFINITI =

better service
better warranty
better resale on the g35 only
better performance
better build quality

Acura =

better gadgets
better luxury
better interior
better quality of materials (in some cases)
To each on his own but I think the NAV in the center makes it look high tech and luxurious. Also, the Nav of the G is practically unusable to the driver unless the car is stopped. Try using that toothpick joystick to input information on the G for a day and you will be begging for your touchscreen back. I guarantee it.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by J RIDE 81
Couldn't have said it better myself.
I forget to even mention DVD-A!
Old 08-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Banned

Thanks,
Andy
I find that hard to believe.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:36 AM
SOLD

With most of the Northeast using Verizon Wireless (best rate/service/coverage), Bluetooth IS useless other than just as an added selling point.

And what can I say about DVD-A, it's an innovative feature for innovation's sake at this point. But there is some debate between audiophiles as to whether or not Sony's SACD is better than Panasonic's DVD-A. what the future holds on this one.
I have SPrint and I must say that Bluetooth is also useless to me at this point as they have no phones or maybe 1. Stereo issue is debatable as DVD discs sound AWESOME, but regular cd (not burned) also sound much cleaner and clearer with this than they do in any other car I have ever heard. Not loud, but very clear and precise.

Quick Reply: Acura TL or Infiniti G35