Acura Is Dead!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Acura Is Dead!!!???

Over the years I have loved only one automaker. I have never seen any Co. come close to Acura in design look quality or performance. As of 1996 there has bin a steady drop in all these areas. Recently i bought an 2006 TSX 6SP MT and it has bin one thing after another. The driver seat creek, brakes warp, tires wearing bad, XM unit malfunction, wipers chatter and streek, roof rattle. Now the NAVI DVD P.O.I'S were off by a 1/2 mile up to 1 mile. The order Co. say there under warranty by Acura and not them. Acura say it's only if they are damaged by the unit. So i just bought one for $220 shipped.

Now my pc went up in smoke and i got a new duo core VISTA system (which is ok but you better get the RAM update I.E 2GIG or better). Spent lamost a month uploading cd and redownloading itunes files just to find out the stupid TTS V1.3 dont run on VISTA. All Acura reps have to say is that they no longer support the music link and I will have to wait and see if they will come out with a new one . FU*^ing apple support all their IPODS how come Acura cant support one product. If this is the leve they are happy with i can just save my self the disappointed and buy a HUGO.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Without a garage

I'd say it's on life support.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Indeed; quality has dropped badly.

I was just having this conversation in another thread... Acura really offers nothing over the comparable domestics besides A+ service anymore. The quality is pretty bad...

The *comparable* domestics are just as reliable and the build quality is equal or better.

Go read Acura TL reviews... 50% of the people complain about.. fading dash, seats premature wear, and more rattles than anyone cares to talk about, notchy transmissions, warped brakes. I could keep going... So it's not just a few people having issues, it's really wide spread. And the dawn of the internet is here; people do go and read public reviews before purchasing now.

WHAT'S REALLY SAD.... is all the issues you mentioned Acura has had for 7 YEARS NOW!! ... My CL-S had rattles, warping brakes, rattling moon roof and shitty leather.

Just don't be surprised when the die hard (blind) Honda/Acura fan boys come in to defend their purchase...

I've bought 2 new $30k rattle box Acuras (01 CLS and a 05 6MT TL), with crappy paint, bad leather (I'm barely scratching the surface).. after reading all the public reviews from 1000's of people from many car review sites (edmunds for example). I've come to the conclusion Acura offers little to nothing over the comparable domestics besides A+ service...
Old 10-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

^ I agree my CL-S has 85k miles and it feels like it is much older and falling apart. A part
of me thing that these cars are now being engineered for a max of 150K miles. If I didn't have extended warranty, I already would have paid an arm and a leg for warranty repairs.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
My dads 02 RL has 85k miles now and has been rock soild. No rattles or anything. He plans to keep it for a long time and i dont blame him.

Only pain is that the rotors warped easily.

Although my moms TSX with 8k miles feels like it has 30k miles.

Guess you get what you pay for.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I really can't say that I was displeased with my CL during the 6 yrs of ownership. Yes the rotors warped twice, but they fixed them at no cost during routine services, and replaced my trans before it actually went on me with same day service. I was actually a little sad to see it go when I bought my Legacy. My problem with Acura is that I think they were rather innovative with the CL way back in 2000 but then sat idle while everyone caught up and surpassed them. I would have liked to the see the RDX engine and AWD in the TSX, I would have stayed with Acura had they had an option like that. I also think they could have done much more with the latest TL Type S. But I do agree with others, the service was always great.
-----------------------------------------
2007 Subaru Legacy GT

2001 CL-Type S-Black-Traded in 12/2006
Purchased 6/1/00
AEM CAI-Red
Comptech Exhaust
Black-33% Window Tint
Tranny #2-April 2004-45,000 miles
Who is the genius at Acura that decided to wait 2 years to drop in the 6-speed?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
My dads 02 RL has 85k miles now and has been rock soild. No rattles or anything.

Only pain is that the rotors warped easily.

Although my moms TSX with 8k miles feels like it has 30k miles.

Guess you get what you pay for.

Ya, the RL is the only car they make that has the word quality somewhere near it...

In retrospect I should have bought a used one... they are real cheap since they don't sell well.

All of the TSX rentals I have gotten have been rattlebox nightmares. And with all of the problems I've had.. I've had a lot of rentals... I'd say somewhere near 80% of them sounded like a babies rattle.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:39 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Over the years I have loved only one automaker.
Well that's problem number one, right there. Variety is the spice of life.
Blind allegiance to any one car company is plain stupid, IMHO.

Acura/Honda is by no means poor quality, but there is a valid arguement that their perceived quality has been slipping.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
i dunno, my CL-S is runnign great. No rattles, no creaks, interior looks pretty damn good with a car with 100K+ miles on it. The only issue I have is now my rotors are warped but ...these are still the original ones! I remeber at about 40K miles they had to turn them to smooth em' out but that is it. I wanna get a new car really bad but this one still in great shape!

You guys point out these problems but I hear about it with the new 3 series...parts of the dash wearing off, overheating etc. Don't even get me started on Mercedes. Everyone got issues. I still think Acura's are waaaay less then anything they are competing with. They lack the "excitement" factor that the other players have. Whereas BMW enthusiasts are willing to look over large flaws over and over again because of driving "The ultimate driving machine", the fact that Acura's are kinda boring makes you nit pick more.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Nah, Acura has major quality issues.

How can some of you accept 7 years of warped rotors and rattles? In 7 years they can't engineer brakes that don't warp and a car that doesn't rattle . Or they are still cutting corners... take a guess which it is.

Take 20m out of your day and read these reviews....

Sort by lowest reviews, and see if there is a pattern in the complaints... and how many there are...

http://www.edmunds.com/acura/tl/2007...merreview.html

Here's another...

http://www.carsurvey.org/review_76877.html
Old 10-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I have had 2 TSXs and neither has required more than oil changes. Sure there have been little minor issues, but compared with all the people around me who own other makes and models of cars, I'm going pretty good.

And while there is the occasional squeak from a seal, it's something that I've heard on cars ranging from the lowliest Chevy to the most expensive Lexus. No manufacturer is perfect.

I guess everyone just has their problems with their cars. Some more than others.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

I think this thread is more about quality than reliability?

Acura is still pretty reliable compared to many makers out there. But lets face it, they arent built (quality) like the old days of Intergas and Legends. Even the first gen TL was solid.

Last edited by Crazy Bimmer; 10-19-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:50 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Acura is still pretty reliable compared to many makers out there. But lets face it, they arent built (quality) like the old days of Intergas and Legends.
Unless you are talking about the 5 speed auto tranny
Old 10-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Acura is still pretty reliable compared to many makers out there. But lets face it, they arent built (quality) like the old days of Intergas and Legends.

Ya it's about quality...

Acura's quality is really piss poor.

Reliable compared to who? Ford makes just as reliable cars in the same class. So does GM.

The new Lincolns and Cadillac's trump Acura in terms of Quality.

Look at this info on the TL...
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Acura/tl/2007

Dig in to the details on reliability... the go and compare with this link...

http://www.jdpower.com/util/ratings/...0Premium%20Car
Old 10-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Unless you are talking about the 5 speed auto tranny
or Warped rotors... which after 7 years they have failed to correct
Old 10-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow ... I hear nothing but hate from an AZ administrator?

There are bad seeds to every lot. No one questions that -- even the mighty Lexus has problems galore ... 3 of their cars didn't make the Consumer Reports recommended list.

Going back on topic ... my TL-S runs fine ... the rattles I hear are due to my choice of suspension and lack of greasing sway bars (ie nothing to do with Honda). Everything else has been great. No warped rotors, leather is just starting to look 7 years old but most importantly ... still on original tranny! (knock on wood)

My wife's '07 TSX is just fine. Imported from the US ... saved thousands over Canadian equivalent model. Only complaint is that the front doors sound awfully "tinny" when shut forcefully or else the car funs great.

Only beef with both cars is the quality of the paint -- can we say, orange peel? I suppose it's due to it being more 'environmentally friendly' than other iterations of Hondas / Acuras so I suppose I will tolerate that. It does not even come close to my parent's '99 Volvo S70 (that car has fantastic paint!) And I can't say how the other makes compare in this regard (for the same price point / same model year of car)
Old 10-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts

But I think that applies across the board. Even the recent Audis, MBs, and BMWs I've driven in the last year or two have had their share of quality issues. I am starting to feel that the auto industry as a whole has seen a decline in overall quality.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by derrick
Wow ... I hear nothing but hate from an AZ administrator?

There are bad seeds to every lot. No one questions that -- even the mighty Lexus has problems galore ... 3 of their cars didn't make the Consumer Reports recommended list.

Going back on topic ... my TL-S runs fine ... the rattles I hear are due to my choice of suspension and lack of greasing sway bars (ie nothing to do with Honda). Everything else has been great. No warped rotors, leather is just starting to look 7 years old but most importantly ... still on original tranny! (knock on wood)

My wife's '07 TSX is just fine. Imported from the US ... saved thousands over Canadian equivalent model. Only complaint is that the front doors sound awfully "tinny" when shut forcefully or else the car funs great.

Only beef with both cars is the quality of the paint -- can we say, orange peel? I suppose it's due to it being more 'environmentally friendly' than other iterations of Hondas / Acuras so I suppose I will tolerate that. It does not even come close to my parent's '99 Volvo S70 (that car has fantastic paint!) And I can't say how the other makes compare in this regard (for the same price point / same model year of car)

Hate?!?!? or Honesty...

I'm just not a blind Honda/Acura lover. I've spent over $65k on them.... done a lot of research. I've posted links in this thread. I'm entitled to my facts and opinions... especially after shelling out $65k.

My TL has very poor quality... leather cracking, dash fading, windows chattering, notchy manual transmissions, warped rotors. My CL-S wasn't any better.... And these are all common issues with the cars. hell they have sticky threads on them in the TL forums. Doesn't take much to realize this... And a lot of these issues have been with Acura for 7 years now.

ya, Acura's are cheap... back to what Crazy said... "you get what you paid for".

Quality and (near) luxury should go hand and hand. Otherwise as I was saying.. what sets Acura apart from Lincoln/Cadillac...
Old 10-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Fair enough ... it's sad that all that money spent has lead to plenty of frustration. Just as any consumer would do ... move on.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by derrick
^ Fair enough ... it's sad that all that money spent has lead to plenty of frustration. Just as any consumer would do ... move on.

After this one I will... Oh should add my 05 6MT TL has less than 20k miles on it too... barely used!

I thought it was just my bad luck; but after reading a lot of review sites the problems I have are wide spread and common in the TL.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
But I think that applies across the board. Even the recent Audis, MBs, and BMWs I've driven in the last year or two have had their share of quality issues. I am starting to feel that the auto industry as a whole has seen a decline in overall quality.

Kick me where it counts

But i agree, quality has gone down everywhere. Orange peel on my 335i is the worst i seen on any car. Its much worse that my 330ci was. My A4 had window switches that were peeling even.

Like Loseit mentions though, i think euro owners are more tolerated of that stuff because we "expect" it to have minor flaws.

Whereas Acura owners expect a car to follow the footsteps of cars like the legend. They want a car to be perfect for over 200k miles. Drop yours standards and Acura will look like a winner.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:06 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Well that's problem number one, right there. Variety is the spice of life.
Blind allegiance to any one car company is plain stupid, IMHO.

Acura/Honda is by no means poor quality, but there is a valid arguement that their perceived quality has been slipping.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Every manufacturer has issues. None are perfect, it's just the way it is.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
My EuroFord feels more solid then my old TSX....
Old 10-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Whereas Acura owners expect a car to follow the footsteps of cars like the legend. They want a car to be perfect for over 200k miles. Drop yours standards and Acura will look like a winner.
It's sad to think that I still measure 'quality' to the '91 Accord my dad handed down to me after I graduated college. That thing was a beast -- nothing wrong with it ... and we took it to almost 200k (125k miles) ... it would have lasted another 100k miles, no problem. It didn't even have "Honda rust" since I washed it religiously in the summer and my dad took it to the soft cloth place at least biweekly in the winter. I really miss that car ...

I think we have to be more realistic with all the technology that's packed into cars to today than yesteryear -- more things are likely to go wrong ... heck, why would Consumer Report place Honda / Acura 1, 2 if the quality (as a whole) was as crappy as people have posted on this site?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I have said "good bye" to Acura for almost a year already..

My CL-S 6spd was completely a POS. Let me briefly address what I have been through with it.

1. Nav system broke
2. CD changer broke
3. back seat replaced
4. Leather started to crack in less than a year, yes it is garaged.
5. engine started to eat a lot of oil
6. heated seats replaced twice. I hardly use heated seat since I am in CA, and it was short-lived
7. rattles everywhere
8. cheap paint on the bumpers faded twice quicker than the paint on the body. in less 4 years of ownership, my White CL-S has turned into two-tone color. Buyers kept asking if I replaced the bumpers as their color do not match with the body.
9. paint chips away easy.
10. warpped brakes

fortunately, I learned. no more Acura for me.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:21 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I forgot about the HORRIBLE paint quality
Old 10-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

It could be worse. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3497858

Old 10-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX

I sorta agree with you and sorta don't...

Warping brakes are not issues; they're design flaws... Acura has had 7 years to get it right...

Fading/chalking dashboards are a sign of using inferior products. And to let it happen for 3 years is not excusable. 1-2 years I can understand, but change the assembly and use different paint.

All the rattles they continue to have might just be "made in ohio" problems.

But all of this speaks pretty badly IMO of Acura. It's the lack of perceived effort on their part that annoys me I guess. BMW for example fixes their design flaws, they don't continue major ones like warping brakes for 7 years.

And yes, all of the manufacturer suffer from incompetant workers and bad parts every so often.

Acura IMO is nothing more than a good domestic at this point in time. The only advantage they have is A+ service.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Kick me where it counts

But i agree, quality has gone down everywhere. Orange peel on my 335i is the worst i seen on any car. Its much worse that my 330ci was. My A4 had window switches that were peeling even.

Like Loseit mentions though, i think euro owners are more tolerated of that stuff because we "expect" it to have minor flaws.

Orange peel isn't bad paint. It's bad sprayers. Granted they can put levelers in the paint to get less of it. It's more on how the paint is applied. Some car manufacturers spray intentionally to get some orange peel. Although I never understood why; it's something I was told my a professional who sold paint to the big manufacturers.

Acura has bad *soft* paint. Looking at it wrong it can chip. I probably have over 200 rock chips on my TL with only 20k miles on it.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Is that common though? Or did install his subwoofer amplfier while he was stoned?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Thread says his car was bone stock, nothing added.

Common? I would say no but i have seen at least 10 pictures of VW burnt. Then again they sell MANY of them.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SiGGy
I sorta agree with you and sorta don't...

Warping brakes are not issues; they're design flaws... Acura has had 7 years to get it right...

Fading/chalking dashboards are a sign of using inferior products. And to let it happen for 3 years is not excusable. 1-2 years I can understand, but change the assembly and use different paint.

All the rattles they continue to have might just be "made in ohio" problems.

But all of this speaks pretty badly IMO of Acura. It's the lack of perceived effort on their part that annoys me I guess. BMW for example fixes their design flaws, they don't continue major ones like warping brakes for 7 years.

And yes, all of the manufacturer suffer from incompetant workers and bad parts every so often.

Acura IMO is nothing more than a good domestic at this point in time. The only advantage they have is A+ service.
I definitely agree with you that there are a lot of things that Acura could pretty easily (I think) fix if they tried hard enough, but to think that other manufacturers don't have similar problems is just naive. I think just about all of them have things that continue to be problematic throughout the years, and just don't do enough to solve the issues. It isn't just Acura.

One big problem I think they seriously need to address is the damn A/C compressors. There is no way that these parts should be blowing at low mileage, and then costing so much to fix out of warranty. I can take warping brakes because I can fix that myself pretty easily by purchasing aftermarket ones, but the A/C is just a ridiculous thing to have break so soon, keep breaking, and cost so much to repair.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SiGGy
Nah, Acura has major quality issues.

How can some of you accept 7 years of warped rotors and rattles? In 7 years they can't engineer brakes that don't warp and a car that doesn't rattle . Or they are still cutting corners... take a guess which it is.

Take 20m out of your day and read these reviews....

Sort by lowest reviews, and see if there is a pattern in the complaints... and how many there are...

http://www.edmunds.com/acura/tl/2007...merreview.html

Here's another...

http://www.carsurvey.org/review_76877.html
You know why the rotors warp?
I was at discount tire getting my wheels balanced and rotated and when I went to go look I could not believe how tiny the discs were. I mean, it is a joke! the looked like tea saucers (i am indian). A huge car like that with tiny ass brakes...they can't handle that. I can only imagine the heat they generate when you try to stop.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Intermediate

DERRICK the fix for the doors is to put TL door moldings on. It will reduce the pannel vibration and reduce (not prevent) door dings.
You all are right the RL is the only car with little to no problems but i buy all for my car's right off the transport truck. and $50k is not in my pockets. I too did have a 1992 honda Accord EX 4DR AT and it ran perfect all the way up 232,000 miles. The girl that bought put another 50k miles on it. That is the level of car i expext form honda acura.
The fact that the TSX seem like my accord with new buttons and gagets had me sold. I only hope they can get their heads sorted to give me back the joy i had in their product.
The big let down is their course of fixing things like with the odomiter (they spin faster than should, avg 5% fast and up 35% in few case). Couple that with my navi being off by a mile and you get a car with 27k miles on it in 1yr. Extend the warranty and not fix anything, you get lucky if something go wrong during the extension.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Without a garage

As a lifelong Honda driver/fan I have to say I was quite disappointed when I bought my current 03 TL-S. I couldn't believe how many things were broken on the car or falling apart. First off the bat was the clear coat breaking down on the door sills. Keep in mind that I have NBP. Then I discovered the driver's side seat heater was broken. Half of the climate control buttons don't light up. Well sometimes they do if I pound on the thing. The driver's side leather is cracking really bad. The steering feels really sloppy. And one of my igniters failed. I didn't really expect all those problems buying a Honda product with 60K on it. The funny thing is that I still do really like this car. Especially when I mash on the gas pedal.

I too had a 4th gen Accord and I so regret selling it. When I sold it it had 180K, but ran so strong like it was brand new. I had it for 7 years so it was really hard to part with it.

Here is my baby. I really miss this car.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
no major issues with my TSX...

at 30k miles the brakes felt odd and i mentioned it at a oil change. They replaced the front rotors and pads free of charge...

i used to think it was loud sometimes on the highway, but the new Yoko Avid V4S's took care of that, the stock Michelins were the culprit...
Old 10-19-2007, 06:55 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I agree! I have had several cars in my life and I had 3 VW's in the late 80's to late 90's and they all had electrical problems so I decided I would never get another and it turns out they still have electrical problems in their current models. In 2001 I had a Chrysler and that had transmission and computer issues, My other vehicle currently is a BMW and that has electrical problems and I replaced the transmission in that and when I talk to their technicians they say the problems I have are common in those vehicles. I have owned a Ford Mustang that was a POS and I had a Nissan that didn't give me any problems also I had 2000 Honda Accord, First Gen Acura Cl that was worry free and lets not forget my current 2001 CLS hasn't had any issues except the weak motor mounts and the CD Player getting stuck but other than that no warped rotors no tranny problems no other major issues. In summary I think anyone could have problems with many makes of cars its par for the course most of the manufacturers don't make them to last because if they did less people would be getting new cars and they don't want to be like Stride Gum it lasts so long you don't buy more.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:25 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
tsx has been rock solid
Old 10-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Yes it is!

I guess as long as my car doesn't light on fire in the middle of a parking lot, I made a good choice, eh?

Quick Reply: Acura Is Dead!!!???