25.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Accord Touring, Stinger Premium, or ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Agreed... and that's usually what I see are the lower models. But thing is, do those cheapen the upper models? Most people don't know the difference anyway so the stigma can be across the board to the average person.

I just need to stop being so shallow and pedantic...
The average person has no clue what a SXT is or a Hellcat is or a M5 vs 5-series or a base Camaro RS vs a ZL1 (yup, its true, I seen it first hand), etc. etc.

Most of my friends and my GF usually see a bright colored sporty looking car and they all think/say its awesome/super fast. Otherwise "normal" looking sedans all look basically the same to the average folks. Those that know will appreciate it...but that's like 2% of the public.

In the end, get the car YOU want, because you like it....otherwise you just buy a bright colored, sporty looking convertible and most people will be impressed in public.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
stop caring what other people think.
Originally Posted by nist7
The average person has no clue what a SXT is or a Hellcat is or a M5 vs 5-series or a base Camaro RS vs a ZL1 (yup, its true, I seen it first hand), etc. etc.

Most of my friends and my GF usually see a bright colored sporty looking car and they all think/say its awesome/super fast. Otherwise "normal" looking sedans all look basically the same to the average folks. Those that know will appreciate it...but that's like 2% of the public.

In the end, get the car YOU want, because you like it....otherwise you just buy a bright colored, sporty looking convertible and most people will be impressed in public.
Oh I could give two shits about what other people think. I do what I want for me and for what I like. Always have. Problem is what I think happens to line up with some of the general stereotypes about certain vehicles... and that's my hang up. It's all in my own head

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
If you want my OPINION, then no, I don't think the Charger will age well at all. None of them, aside from the originals, have aged well and I'm not sure these will be any different. The front of the car has been changed up but the rear still looks basically the same.
Bingo... and that's my exact point. Like I said, I don't give a shit about what others think. I'm concerned about it aging well as you mentioned. Maybe concerned is the wrong word... but it's a thought. Same reason your wife's comment gave you pause. It looks bad-ass now, but will I still like it in 3 to 4 years?

Then again I guess the same could be said for any car really.
The following users liked this post:
F23A4 (03-30-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 01:35 PM
Safety Car

Oh I could give two shits about what other people think. I do what I want for me and for what I like. Always have. Problem is what I think happens to line up with some of the general stereotypes about certain vehicles... and that's my hang up. It's all in my own head

Bingo... and that's my exact point. Like I said, I don't give a shit about what others think. I'm concerned about it aging well as you mentioned. Maybe concerned is the wrong word... but it's a thought. Same reason your wife's comment gave you pause. It looks bad-ass now, but will I still like it in 3 to 4 years?

You do you.

But the older chargers definitely have NOT aged well at all. Honestly hard to tell how the current gen will look in a few years, though I think it's lot better than the older styling for sure....
Old 03-27-2018, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

You do you.

But the older chargers definitely have NOT aged well at all. Honestly hard to tell how the current gen will look in a few years, though I think it's They lot better than the older styling for sure....
The new ones are definitely a much better design than the older ones so I am thinking they will have more staying power.

Honestly, when the times comes the deciding factor will be usability and driving experience. Bang for the buck is also in there but everything I'm looking at is in that same price range, so the other two will really be the tiebreakers. If I'm as impressed with the test drive as I was with sitting in the Charger and getting a little tour of it at a local show recently, it may be hard to beat...
Old 03-27-2018, 02:38 PM
Safety Car

Only downside, and maybe its my bias, is that I'm still a bit wary of FCA products (no offense to all the Azine members who already own FCA products) and how it ages on the inside with quality and reliability. I think its easy to be impressed on a short term basis on a auto show/test-drive but I wonder if there's a way to get a longer-term test drive/experience.

Obviously depends on what you're looking for in a sedan. Not to derail this thread too much, but were you considering similar sedans in this thread as competition to the SP?

I myself am looking at potential sport sedan upgraade from my 06 TL in about 3-4 years and the SP (along cars like the CTS Vsport/V, GS-F, maybe S6?) also on my short list of potential cars to buy for near future.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:04 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts

Absolutely true. Everyone sees the S2000 and automatically thinks it's super fast. Little do they know though...

There are some that you can be pretty sure will age really well and have timeless designs. These are the cars that will fall into the "future classic" bucket in the way the Supra, NSX, S2000, Porsche 993, etc are all getting to right now. Those designs all still look very good. Even the 3G TL still looks nice, but the 4G and TLX certainly won't age well. Ditto for E46 BMW still looks great and turns heads while the E90 won't age well at all.

You do you.

But the older chargers definitely have NOT aged well at all. Honestly hard to tell how the current gen will look in a few years, though I think it's lot better than the older styling for sure....
By older designs I meant this:

Only downside, and maybe its my bias, is that I'm still a bit wary of FCA products (no offense to all the Azine members who already own FCA products) and how it ages on the inside with quality and reliability. I think its easy to be impressed on a short term basis on a auto show/test-drive but I wonder if there's a way to get a longer-term test drive/experience.

Obviously depends on what you're looking for in a sedan. Not to derail this thread too much, but were you considering similar sedans in this thread as competition to the SP?

I myself am looking at potential sport sedan upgraade from my 06 TL in about 3-4 years and the SP (along cars like the CTS Vsport/V, GS-F, maybe S6?) also on my short list of potential cars to buy for near future.
This is of course another anecdotal N of 1 response but my 2015 Jeep is still in awesome shape. Interior shows little to no signs of wear and all parts are still tight as a drum. Mechanically, no issues. 3 years old and 34k on the clock. No I do not baby it at all and actually beat the hell out of it on a regular basis. I wouldn't worry about buying a FCA product at this point (aside from any of the Italian offerings for obvious reasons)
Old 03-27-2018, 03:45 PM
Safety Car

^That's good to hear. I know every carmaker is always trying to improve so the stereotype of fca quality may not be as bad.

Couldn't see the photo you posted though...
Old 03-27-2018, 04:52 PM
Senior Moderator

The SP is the only sedan currently on my list. I'm really looking at an apple and a few oranges as the rest are in the higher HP SUV class .

This is of course another anecdotal N of 1 response but my 2015 Jeep is still in awesome shape. Interior shows little to no signs of wear and all parts are still tight as a drum. Mechanically, no issues. 3 years old and 34k on the clock. No I do not baby it at all and actually beat the hell out of it on a regular basis. I wouldn't worry about buying a FCA product at this point (aside from any of the Italian offerings for obvious reasons)
Yeah. We have a 2010 Jeep JK and it's in great shape and so far, it's never needed anything outside of basic maintenance. Still tight as well.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:16 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
I can't answer that question for you, it probably depends on what the next gen Charger looks like. If you want my OPINION, then no, I don't think the Charger will age well at all. None of them, aside from the originals, have aged well and I'm not sure these will be any different. The front of the car has been changed up but the rear still looks basically the same.

At the end of the day, if you like the car then buy it. Life is too short to not drive something that makes you happy.
i disagree to a point. I think the non-crosshair grille models will age great. The current scat packs and srts.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:26 PM
The Third Ball

My Challenger at almost 6 years ago was immaculate. My wife’s Jeep Cherokee at the end of its 3 year lease was in great shape. My Durango at 3 years and 45k miles is a beast and I have 7 year old twins beating the crap out of it.

I walked in fca damn 8 years ago now and with the exception of not liking the 9spd transmission in the Cherokee I’ve had no major problems. Hell, I’d have a 9 year old Challenger right now if it wasnt for that putz.
nist7 (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 05:30 PM
Safety Car

^^^Good for ya and that's good to hear!
Old 03-28-2018, 09:47 AM
Ex-OEM King

i disagree to a point. I think the non-crosshair grille models will age great. The current scat packs and srts.
Eh, it's my opinion but I don't think those will either. If all it takes is a grille swap then you can buy a Charger SXT, swap in the blacked out grille and have a timeless car, everyone would be doing it.

As much as I like the FCA cars, Dodge is rather far behind. I don't think any of the current Dodge models will age well. Even with Jeep, the Compass, Renegade, Cherokee, none of them (aside from Wrangler and GC) will age well. Chrysler proper is a joke.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:15 PM

Received 5,294 Likes on 3,628 Posts

The 2018 Mazda6 is up on their site now.
A 'loaded' 6 Signature comes in at $36k, GT R at around $34k.
Will have to follow up with a few Mazda dealers to see if they have any in transit. Looks like the 2.5T is in the GT, GT R, and Signature tims, with the Sport & Touring getting the N/A 2.5

Nothing on the G70 yet, was also 'revealed' for the US Market today. The few articles I've found seem to indicate it may start around $33k based on the KDM prices.
Read one review saying back seat room was not generous, so it may rule that option out. They called the W205 C-Class a limousine by comparison.

I've been quoted between 35.3-36.1k OTD on a few Accord Touring from multiple Houston dealers.

Stinger may be out, as it's at or just above the max budget, even with the lease buyout method, unless incentives take a dramatic turn in April.

Odds are the Mazda & Genesis will be unlikely to have any incentives, being brand new.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:54 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
I voted for "other". Why? Apparently the 2019 Hyundai Genesis G70 will be available with a 2.0T and a 6MT. 'Nuff said.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:34 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2

The 2018 Mazda6 is up on their site now.
A 'loaded' 6 Signature comes in at $36k, GT R at around $34k.
Will have to follow up with a few Mazda dealers to see if they have any in transit. Looks like the 2.5T is in the GT, GT R, and Signature tims, with the Sport & Touring getting the N/A 2.5

Nothing on the G70 yet, was also 'revealed' for the US Market today. The few articles I've found seem to indicate it may start around $33k based on the KDM prices.
Read one review saying back seat room was not generous, so it may rule that option out. They called the W205 C-Class a limousine by comparison.

I've been quoted between 35.3-36.1k OTD on a few Accord Touring from multiple Houston dealers.

Stinger may be out, as it's at or just above the max budget, even with the lease buyout method, unless incentives take a dramatic turn in April.

Odds are the Mazda & Genesis will be unlikely to have any incentives, being brand new.
Wait until next week. Honda is probably going to do a big shake up in incentives for moving Accords.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:14 AM

No rush at all, and with Easter this weekend, unlikely to make a move on a buy in March.
The Mazda dealer closest to my office is expecting their first turbo 6 in mid-April.

Looking like potentially summer before G70s start hitting dealer lots.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Wait until May for the Accord.

End of April at the earliest.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Wait until May for the Accord.

End of April at the earliest.
More details? Or just speculation?
Old 03-29-2018, 11:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
More details? Or just speculation?
Speculation.

See when your dealer will get the 2019's on the lot.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:51 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Speculation.

See when your dealer will get the 2019's on the lot.
My guess is that they won't hit the lot until late summer or fall given that the 2018's hit in October-ish.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:58 PM

Assumption, tells me that the Mazda6 will be a better drivers car than the Accord. I recall driving the 3G 6 Touring 6MT back in 2014 (I think) and preferred the way it drove to the 9G Accord Sport 6MT.

Saw a comment online that the 3.3 G70 Sport will be in the mid-50s.
Odds are the 2.0T G70 will be starting in the high 30s to low 40s.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:04 PM
Ex-OEM King

Assumption, tells me that the Mazda6 will be a better drivers car than the Accord. I recall driving the 3G 6 Touring 6MT back in 2014 (I think) and preferred the way it drove to the 9G Accord Sport 6MT.

Saw a comment online that the 3.3 G70 Sport will be in the mid-50s.
Odds are the 2.0T G70 will be starting in the high 30s to low 40s.
The current G80 Sport with the 3.3T is in the mid 50's...as is the 340i and the S4 and the C43 AMG. I think it'll be quite a lot cheaper than that or else no one will buy it.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:03 PM

Good point, I think the comment I read stating that, was in CAD.
Seems that the thought is that the G70 will be roughly 4-6k cheaper than the G80, which puts a base G70 in the mid-30s, or about 4k over the Stinger.

I think I read that official pricing will be released on 4/2.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:24 PM
Ex-OEM King

Good point, I think the comment I read stating that, was in CAD.
Seems that the thought is that the G70 will be roughly 4-6k cheaper than the G80, which puts a base G70 in the mid-30s, or about 4k over the Stinger.

I think I read that official pricing will be released on 4/2.
C&D said it's expecting a base of ~$32k which would probably put a fully decked out G70 Sport 2.0T at ~$40k ish? Either way, this makes for a compelling choice for me too. I'm also in no hurry so I'll wait for pricing to be announced before I do anything. If this ends up being a better deal (to lease because depreciation) than the Golf R (to buy because no depreciation) then I'll probably go for it.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Did a bit of research & it seems that the Cadenza is about equal to a 3.8 Genesis in economy, with less power & FWD. Think I'd keep an eye out for a RWD Genesis over the Cadenza. And there aren't that many in the Houston area, apart from base models
I really have no personal input on the Cadenza other than looks. If it gets the same economy as the Genesis 3.8 then yes absolutely would take the Genesis over it because RWD.

More related to the latest posts in the thread. You can build the G70 on the Genesis Canada website but you can’t price it yet. Compared to other Genesis models this one is way less contented. Base models do not come with Leather, though it still comes with much more things than the German competition. I’m excited to see what the SUV’s will look like.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:11 AM

Posted in the G70 thread, but I called a couple dealers Thursday & got an estimated August for arrival on dealer lots. Undecided if I want to wait that long.

On a whim, I stopped into the local Mazda dealer on Friday & took a 2017.5 for a drive, mostly to see how my kids & carseats fit, since the 18 is more like a major MMC & not a full new generation. Surprisingly sufficient space in the back with 2 Recaro seats. Salesman said mid-April for their first GT Rs to arrive & late April/early May for a 6 Signature. Depending on how it drives & the improvements over the 17.5, it's a strong contender.
Mazda site is already showing base GTs in stock (likely in transit) at a few Houston dealers.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:23 PM
Ex-OEM King

Read online that Costco has some epic discounts on the Accord if you buy through their program. Found that the 2.0T Sport goes for ~$26800 with a MSRP of $31200. This is of course second hand information and I haven't tried it myself though I may try and get a quote to see if it's legit or not. Something to think about.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:39 PM

Forgot about the Costco angle.
Through work, I get a TruCar discount & on the Accord Touring, I was getting between 31.8-33.6 on an MSRP of 36.7. The few that I got to give me an OTD price ( with dealer adds like notrogen in the tires ) were still under the MSRP. The highest was $36.263.92

Will have to check it again & see if the Mazda 6 GT R & Signature are listed yet.

Went & drove a CX-9 yesterday. 2-fold trip. See how the turbo 2.5 drove (in a 1k lb heavier car) and see if it would make a viable replacement for our Flex.
If the turbo 6 drives like the CX, I'll be quite impressed. I think the driving dynamics of the 6 blow the Accord away, looks better too.
TacoBello (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 03:37 PM
Ex-OEM King

Forgot about the Costco angle.
Through work, I get a TruCar discount & on the Accord Touring, I was getting between 31.8-33.6 on an MSRP of 36.7. The few that I got to give me an OTD price ( with dealer adds like notrogen in the tires ) were still under the MSRP. The highest was $36.263.92

Will have to check it again & see if the Mazda 6 GT R & Signature are listed yet.

Went & drove a CX-9 yesterday. 2-fold trip. See how the turbo 2.5 drove (in a 1k lb heavier car) and see if it would make a viable replacement for our Flex.
If the turbo 6 drives like the CX, I'll be quite impressed. I think the driving dynamics of the 6 blow the Accord away, looks better too.
I'd buy the Mazda in a heartbeat over the Accord if it came with three pedals...unfortunately they decided against that.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
The Mazda does look better than the Accord. The Accord kind of looks like it's trying to be something it really isn't.
F23A4 (05-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 04:15 PM

I drove a 2017.5 Touring a couple weekends ago to refresh the drive of the 6 in my mind. Even being down on power it has much more of a 'driver's car' feel to it. I imagine the 310 lb/ft turbo 6 will be even better. True, the turbo 6 with a manual would be probably the best 'normal' sedan on the market, but I imagine the take rate on it would be extremely low.

Something I noticed last week driving to work. Happened to look in the mirror & had to look twice to see if it was a Charger or an Accord coming up behind me. Neither a good nor bad thing, IMO, just clicked in my head for a moment.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:39 AM
Ex-OEM King

I drove a 2017.5 Touring a couple weekends ago to refresh the drive of the 6 in my mind. Even being down on power it has much more of a 'driver's car' feel to it. I imagine the 310 lb/ft turbo 6 will be even better. True, the turbo 6 with a manual would be probably the best 'normal' sedan on the market, but I imagine the take rate on it would be extremely low.

Something I noticed last week driving to work. Happened to look in the mirror & had to look twice to see if it was a Charger or an Accord coming up behind me. Neither a good nor bad thing, IMO, just clicked in my head for a moment.
I think the take rate on the MT Mazda would be higher than on the MT Accord given that they are positioning it as a "sport sedan" but oh well. That's literally the only thing keeping me from the Mazda.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:11 AM

I don't disagree.
I see a surprising amount of 6MT Mazda3 in higher trims, so maybe a 6MT turbo 6 would sell decently.
It may be, that Mazda doesn't currently have a 6MT that can handle the torque
Old 04-06-2018, 10:32 AM
Latent car nut

I don't disagree.
I see a surprising amount of 6MT Mazda3 in higher trims, so maybe a 6MT turbo 6 would sell decently.
It may be, that Mazda doesn't currently have a 6MT that can handle the torque
I wouldn't be surprised, however, since the new Mazda6 came out in what 2012, only the bare bones strippo models where available with a manual transmission; hence the fact my wife and I ended up with a Mazda3 s GT.

The hoping here (yeah, I know, very-slim hope) is Mazda will produce a new collection of MazdaSpeed6 cars with three pedals under the dash; I'd be all over that like shine on polyester.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:47 AM
The Third Ball

Having seen the new accord in person now, I actually like how it looks. Like a bigger civic sedan which I think is their best looking vehicle.

I just went to build one and was totally shocked you can get the 2.0T with a manual in Sport Trim.

But of course Honda shoots themselves in the foot...because while the sport trim has the manual and 19's...you can't get leather, only cloth.

I'd say Stinger or 2018 Mazda6
Old 04-06-2018, 11:01 AM
Latent car nut

Having seen the new accord in person now, I actually like how it looks. Like a bigger civic sedan which I think is their best looking vehicle.

I just went to build one and was totally shocked you can get the 2.0T with a manual in Sport Trim.

But of course Honda shoots themselves in the foot...because while the sport trim has the manual and 19's...you can't get leather, only cloth.

Yup, that's exactly the new Accord is off my list; the G70 2.0T 6MT easily wins over the Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:02 PM
The Third Ball

I just looked...that G70 is pretty sweet as well...I hate the diamond stitch...but other wise looks pretty sick. Has some Maserati ghibli in the front end.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Wait... I got it.

It's not out yet, but it looks like the new model is coming soon. Volvo V60 station wagon.

the wagon appears to start around 38k US.

317hp, 295lbft. panoramic sunroof, power tailgate, apple carplay/android auto.

https://www.volvocars.com/us/build/c...n/v60/momentum
I just rolled up behind one of these yesterday here in center NJ with temp tags:

https://www.volvocars.com/us/build/c...-2018/polestar

Not sure I could part with $60k+ on a Volvo BUT it's a tight looking package with solid performance to back it up. IMHO, most of Volvo's lineup these days seems worthy of consideration, particularly if leasing is the finance option.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by horseshoez
I wouldn't be surprised, however, since the new Mazda6 came out in what 2012, only the bare bones strippo models where available with a manual transmission; hence the fact my wife and I ended up with a Mazda3 s GT.
The hoping here (yeah, I know, very-slim hope) is Mazda will produce a new collection of MazdaSpeed6 cars with three pedals under the dash; I'd be all over that like shine on polyester.
The 6MT was available on Sport & Touring trims (still will be for 2018). And it definitely pepped up the drive back with I test drove a 6MT Touring back in 2013-2014. I drove a 3S GT Hatch with the 6MT prior to the F150 & it was better (lighter), but a bit tight for the kids in the back.

The Accord is a nice place to be for a drive, comfortable, but not nearly a sporty as the Stinger, or (assumed) G70 & turbo 6.
The Sport gets a 'leather'/cloth combo. Cloth centers with leather-ish bolsters. And with the 6MT it's pretty quick.

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Yup, that's exactly the new Accord is off my list; the G70 2.0T 6MT easily wins over the Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT.
I think the G70 will blow the Accord away when it comes out, but I also expect a G70 Sport 6MT to be a bit more $$ than the 6MT Accord Sport

I just looked...that G70 is pretty sweet as well...I hate the diamond stitch...but other wise looks pretty sick. Has some Maserati ghibli in the front end.
I don't mind the quilted look, short of seeing one in person. Definitely looking forward to them hitting dealer lots.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:32 PM
Latent car nut

The 6MT was available on Sport & Touring trims (still will be for 2018). And it definitely pepped up the drive back with I test drove a 6MT Touring back in 2013-2014. I drove a 3S GT Hatch with the 6MT prior to the F150 & it was better (lighter), but a bit tight for the kids in the back.
When we bought about two years ago the Touring was still available with a 6MT (no longer available for the 2018 models), but you were left with the base Touring model, none of the extra packages could be ordered when there were three pedals under the dash, and we like our cars fully tarted up.

I think the G70 will blow the Accord away when it comes out, but I also expect a G70 Sport 6MT to be a bit more $$ than the 6MT Accord Sport
Word on the street is the base Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT and the base G70 2.0T 6MT will within a few hundred dollars of each other. That said, on the Accord, that's where it stops as there are few if any options available with the 6MT while, the G70 can be tarted up quite nicely. So yeah, from that perspective, the Hyundai will be more expensive, but only because you can option it up.

Quick Reply: Accord Touring, Stinger Premium, or ?