Abandoned Cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Oh and for the noobs trying to be funny... I said chill_dog as that is his screen name. If you're going to try to be witty, at least learn to fucking read.

And cut the shit in Car Talk.... otherwise, you won't be long for this forum. If you want to fail at comedy... take it to Ramblings.
noobs

Btw, the stretch of 74 (when it turns into a highway, I guess, with 3 lanes) leading right up to downtown has cars on the side all the time. Just this week alone I saw 3. That's pretty close to some shady areas.

Last edited by alexSU; 08-18-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by DeusVictorae
That's like something out of "I Am Legend". Very eerie..
...that is funny...never thought of that! Houston was in "I Am Legend" mode right after Hurricane Ike... no lights on in homes, debris everywhere, cars flooded out, no stop lights... the 1st night we went out in our Suburban, I told my wife it felt like a huge bad zombie movie set
Old 08-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Oh and for the noobs trying to be funny... I said chill_dog as that is his screen name. If you're going to try to be witty, at least learn to fucking read.

And cut the shit in Car Talk.... otherwise, you won't be long for this forum. If you want to fail at comedy... take it to Ramblings.
That's as angry as I have heard JB.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by F23A4
I routinely see late model cars in varying stages of deconstruction along the Morris & Essex NJ Transit line in Harrison, NJ. Though in clear view of passing commuter rail trains the cars are typically parked behind the dump trucks that usually park in that area.

The latest was a Volvo XC90 which -- as of today -- is now reduced to a frame.
That sounds more like a stolen car and not one that's just abandoned.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Matt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the news story I mentioned earlier: http://www.fox2now.com/ktvi-foxfiles...,5183051.story (video in link)

There was recently a huge Police/Towing truck company scandal here in St. Louis. Now it appears no one wants to touch these cars.
ST. LOUIS (KTVI-FOX2now.com) - Abandoned cars appear to be piling up around St. Louis. Fox Files reporter Chris Hayes investigated a new fear among police officers to tow cars. One car piled up tickets -- without any apparent threat of being towed -- right down the street from Barnes Hospital. It was left inside the Highway 40 construction zone for more than a month.

In South St. Louis we found a car with the keys inside and no license plate. It was left next to Tom Frederick's house. He told us cars that used to be towed within hours are now sitting for months.

Frederick said, "It's more like a passing joke now - things like, "Am I opening up a car lot on the side of my house" uh you know, "How much do I want for this? How much do I want for that? Can we set up a bird's nest in it?"

From South City to North. On residential streets and downtown. Like one we spotted down the street from the Hyatt. We counted a couple dozen tickets dating back several weeks.

SLU student Phil Lombardo was walking by when he told us you wouldn't anything like it on campus, where you're lucky to get away parking illegally for even one day.

He added, "Probably just because the volume of students and faculty parking there." He pointed at the car with more than 20 tickets, "I've never seen anything like that before."

The car downtown and the one on Kingshighway did get towed before the All Star Game -- after sitting for more than a month. The one next to Tom Frederick's house was still there when we checked this week.

Attorney Al Watkins said you're definitely seeing a difference in the way cars get towed.

He said, "Some of the officers have simply elected -- 'look I'd rather not dip my toe into that kitty litter.'"

The feds are still investigating the Department for reported towing abuses from 2004 - 2008. Watkins represents some of the officers questioned.

"It's certainly not an imprudent decision on the part of law enforcement, not to have their signature or fingerprints showing up on any procedural or protocol that's required to facilitate the towing of a vehicle. Not now. It is a hot potato."

Plus there's a 28 page policy officers have to follow -- with specific rules on things like "notifying the owner."

Watkins says police have more important safety work to do.

Residents like Tom Frederick hope those officers don't forget the potential hazards of allowing cars to pile up on the roads.

The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department would not comment -- except to say that the current tow policy is the same one that existed before the tow scandal struck. However, a spokesperson said -- board members re-emphasized the policy after the U.S. Attorney began its investigation.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Team Owner

^^^^

I always love how people feel that removing the plates from a car will make it so no one can find the actual owner.

When I started this thread part of the intent was more about the number of ones I see on the side of the interstates. I know a lot of them are on city streets. I have one parked behind my home and it pisses me off that it is still there.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,663 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
That sounds more like a stolen car and not one that's just abandoned.
Once abandoned, it's almost a moot point. Be it a suicide or murder, the vultures and maggots will feast nonetheless.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
^^^ If they have more important things to worry about then shit I'll take some those cars lol just say go and I'll be there with a fricken 8 car trailer!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Some states have provisions for claiming abandoned cars. My uncle did this with an old toyota that was left in the parking lot next to his store back in the late 80's... Lots of paperwork, and a couple months of waiting for the owner to re-claim it.

Most end up getting scrapped or auctioned...