AAA contractor towed my wife's Accord 50 miles with the e-brake on

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
AAA contractor towed my wife's Accord 50 miles with the e-brake on

I'm very annoyed at this moment. My wife had a flat tire so I called AAA to have them tow the Accord home. When I approached the car the smell of the burning brakes was nauseating. Then, I saw the driver peek into the car, open the door, and sneakily release the parking brake. WTF? When I confronted him, he said he had released it before they got going, and that it somehow engaged itself. My wife later told me that she never saw him get in the car in the beginning.

When I parked the car, the brake pedal sank all the way down, and I'm guessing that's from the hot brake fluid. I also believe that in my wife's Accord, the e-brake is the same as the regular brake on the rear, which is a drum system. So, looks like I'll be getting new brakes for the rears?

You expect more from professionals, and if they mess up, at least they could take responsibility. Blah. Thanks for listening.

/rant
Old 08-16-2011, 01:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
I'm very annoyed at this moment. My wife had a flat tire so I called AAA to have them tow the Accord home. When I approached the car the smell of the burning brakes was nauseating. Then, I saw the driver peek into the car, open the door, and sneakily release the parking brake. WTF? When I confronted him, he said he had released it before they got going, and that it somehow engaged itself. My wife later told me that she never saw him get in the car in the beginning.

When I parked the car, the brake pedal sank all the way down, and I'm guessing that's from the hot brake fluid. I also believe that in my wife's Accord, the e-brake is the same as the regular brake on the rear, which is a drum system. So, looks like I'll be getting new brakes for the rears?

You expect more from professionals, and if they mess up, at least they could take responsibility. Blah. Thanks for listening.

/rant
call up AAA or the towing company they used and their insurance should cover it. That's just stupidity and negligence on the drivers part. What year is your accord? As far as I know, all of the 2003+ ones use calipers for the main brakes but small drum ones in the rear that should have no effect on the brake fluid.
The following users liked this post:
MrOtocinclus (08-16-2011)
Old 08-16-2011, 04:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
call up AAA or the towing company they used and their insurance should cover it. That's just stupidity and negligence on the drivers part. What year is your accord? As far as I know, all of the 2003+ ones use calipers for the main brakes but small drum ones in the rear that should have no effect on the brake fluid.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:11 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Let us know how it goes. Also, make sure you have the driver's name, the time you called, the date, and where you where when the driver picked you up available. They will want to know who was responsible.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:44 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
sorry to hear that-Just wondering why you had the car towed to your house and not just have them replace the flat tire with the spare. (hope you have one).
Old 08-16-2011, 08:38 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
You should've totally called him out on it. If he fucked up your brakes like that, you shouldn't let him off the hook. Definitely get his name, company and report to AAA and have someone (hopefully his company) pay for your new brakes. Ridiculous!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's amazing how a few hours of sleep can clear the head. I was not in a good mood last night. Mods, would it be possible to change the "dumb f*ck" in the title to "AAA contractor"? My apologies...

Originally Posted by csmeance
It's a 2005 Accord DX Value Package (i.e. the cheaper one), so I believe the rear service and parking brakes share the same drum. My understanding is that when the brake fluid gets hot the pedal will go all the way to the floor due to the loss of pressure from the fluid turning from liquid to gas. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
sorry to hear that-Just wondering why you had the car towed to your house and not just have them replace the flat tire with the spare. (hope you have one).
I was asking myself the same thing last night. The Accord has not really been taken care of. I had actually warned my wife against driving 50+ miles on a cheap used tire (the one that went flat) that my b-i-l had put on for her. With that in mind, the temporary spare "donut" is over 6 years old and I was not comfortable with her driving on it. Plus, I recently upgraded to the AAA that includes 100 miles of towing, so I wanted to take advantage of it.

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Let us know how it goes. Also, make sure you have the driver's name, the time you called, the date, and where you where when the driver picked you up available. They will want to know who was responsible.
Thanks, I'm definitely going to do this.

Originally Posted by mrstak
You should've totally called him out on it. If he fucked up your brakes like that, you shouldn't let him off the hook. Definitely get his name, company and report to AAA and have someone (hopefully his company) pay for your new brakes. Ridiculous!
Yeah, I think he knew he messed up, and was just making stuff up as he talked to me. He did give me the name of his supervisor, so I'll be giving him a call today.

Thanks again, everyone. I have to remind myself that it's just a tire (or just a braking system?!) and not the end of the world. I'll update the thread if/when there's new information. Have a great day!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
Thanks everyone for the replies. It's amazing how a few hours of sleep can clear the head. I was not in a good mood last night. Mods, would it be possible to change the "dumb f*ck" in the title to "AAA contractor"? My apologies...

It's a 2005 Accord DX Value Package (i.e. the cheaper one), so I believe the rear service and parking brakes share the same drum. My understanding is that when the brake fluid gets hot the pedal will go all the way to the floor due to the loss of pressure from the fluid turning from liquid to gas. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I was asking myself the same thing last night. The Accord has not really been taken care of. I had actually warned my wife against driving 50+ miles on a cheap used tire (the one that went flat) that my b-i-l had put on for her. With that in mind, the temporary spare "donut" is over 6 years old and I was not comfortable with her driving on it. Plus, I recently upgraded to the AAA that includes 100 miles of towing, so I wanted to take advantage of it.

Thanks, I'm definitely going to do this.

Yeah, I think he knew he messed up, and was just making stuff up as he talked to me. He did give me the name of his supervisor, so I'll be giving him a call today.

Thanks again, everyone. I have to remind myself that it's just a tire (or just a braking system?!) and not the end of the world. I'll update the thread if/when there's new information. Have a great day!
No problem, title changed!

Once the fluid heats up enough it'll boil and turn into gas that won't allow the brakes to engage. As well, if the pads are worn down enough the pedal will go down and you won't have much braking either!

I suggest that you get on doing some maintenance on the car like the brakes, fluid changes, and get a new tire on the spare! Just give them a call and they'll take care of it!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
sucks. i know the feeling of others fucking your car up and not manning up to it.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
and why would it affect your fluid?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
^heat transfer. Needs a new brake line also.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,230 Likes on 2,612 Posts
On other thing to check beside the rear drum and shoes is the wheel bearings in the rear. A friend's girlfriend did the same thing to his Prelude and the heat buildup in the rear brakes caused the rear sealed bearings to go bad after a couple thousand miles after that happened. So also check the rear wheel bearings, they're sealed and may be toast.
MrOtocinclus (08-18-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 09:38 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
any update?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll want to replace everything on the rear brakes. Calipers, rotors, rubber brake lines, e-brake pads and disc. brake pads. It's ALL been super heated. I'm sure your going to fine the calipers and rotors blue from the heat. When you boil brake fluid it's NEVER the same afterwards.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
always, always always flatbed.... I believe AAA should and will reimburse you if you file the report with AAA while you were there. However, if you waited for days then call AAA, then it would be his words vs your words.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I always ask for a flatebed even if its going to take a little bit extra..

but what a dumbass...
Old 08-18-2011, 12:59 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
i hope everything works out for you-Please get new tires, including a new spare. Be thankful the tire was not a blow out that could cause a bad accident.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just a quick status update: I had the car towed (AAA lady asked for a flatbed for me!) to my local Acura dealership (I've received very good service there, and they have good reviews as well) and they recommended changing out the rear drums, which I OK'd. When I asked them about the brake lines and fluid, they said that they seemed fine, but I had them change the fluid anyway. The car is supposed to be ready today.

The manager of the towing company has been very professional about the whole situation. He's going to pay for everything and has already contacted my service advisor directly. Next time I'll definitely ask for a flatbed. At the time, it never occurred to me that something like this would happen.

Re: the rear bearings, I'll ask the advisor later today when he calls. I have the shop manual for this car so I may take a look myself, but obviously I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. My remaining concern is whether the car is safe to drive after this debacle. As some of you mentioned, the brake fluid was super heated, and that affects the entire system. Who knows what might happen down the line? I might just drive the car for awhile before letting my wife drive it again. Or, maybe I'll just trade it in for a new car.

Thanks again!

Edit: nj2pa2nc, thanks for the reminder. I forgot to mention that yes, I'm going to get new tires for the car, and luckily there is a highly rated shop across the street from the Acura dealer.

Edit #2: Decided to just call my advisor re: wheel bearings. He says he'll make a special note to the tech... but the best part is he told me that the tech is a 25+ year experience guy, so that definitely makes me feel better.

Last edited by MrOtocinclus; 08-18-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:15 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,230 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Glad to read they're taking care of you.

When my friend's G/F pulled up in his Prelude (2G) at night the rear rotors were glowing red. She drove it ~30 miles to his house (she borrowed it) on the highway with the parking brake on. My friend was still amazing she didn't notice the red brake light on the dash or the smell of burning brakes. He shrugged it off and replaced the pads, fluid and eventually the bearings, the things we do for love
Old 08-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by nspec_ya4
and why would it affect your fluid?
The brake fluid has a certain boiling point, so in this case, the brakes far exceeded that temperature causing the fluid to boil and vaporize...When it does this, its properties are changed and the fluid must be changed...When it boils, air pockets can form in the system as well..

I would love to see the glazing on those parking brake shoes and drum.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Don't worry about the brakes...just install a louder horn.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Professor
Don't worry about the brakes...just install a louder horn.

True...OP, even if your base brakes fail, I'm sure the tree brakes, building brakes, and the other vehicle brakes will still bring you to a stop.