911 GT3 Owner reviews the Nissan GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:09 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
911 GT3 Owner reviews the Nissan GT-R

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/92...hanks-ben.html

"OMGGGG holy shit this thing is fast! I mean, REALLY fast. Porsche GT3? Forget it, doesn’t have the torque. 997 Turbo? We’ll stop later and wait for it to catch up. This car is truly, sensationally fast and I have a sudden understanding when Chris Harris calls it a baby Veyron."

lulz at "LOL pedal"
Old 02-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i donno...the GTR is like a computer on wheels...the GT3 is more of a driver's car...

rich fucks...i could only dream to drive cars like that
Old 02-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but the GT-R seems almost too antiseptic from the driving impressions that I have heard. The GT3 must be such a raw experience by comparison. I really think these cars will appeal to very different drivers.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Maybe it's just me, but the GT-R seems almost too antiseptic from the driving impressions that I have heard. The GT3 must be such a raw experience by comparison. I really think these cars will appeal to very different drivers.
I have the same opinion from what I've read. The GT-R reviews seem to make it seem like it's very easy to drive at the limit with all the electronics. The GT3 is a car that is truely a drivers car. It requires a good driver to extract good lap times out of. It can bit you in the butt if you don't respect it.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:43 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Apples and Oranges....and if the GT3 is the Orange...I'll take the Orange over the Apple.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Racer

2 very capable machine with very different philosophy and yet they share the same goal, being the ultimate driver's car.

I honestly don't see GTR being easy to drive being a disadvantage, I think that is one of the GTR's biggest advantage over other cars. However, I do agree a certain degree of driver involvement is lost with all the E-nannies, but then again, the fact that the GTR doesn't come with 6MT shows that driver involvement isn't the main goal of this car.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Apples and Oranges....and if the GT3 is the Orange...I'll take the Orange over the Apple.
Especially when it's this orange.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Especially when it's this orange.

Price difference aside, I think I would take the GT3 over the GT-R. [Zoolander]Porsche is so hot right now.[/Zoolander]
Old 02-27-2008, 09:41 AM
where is....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gt2 is more raw to drive because of it being RR instead of awd like the skyline. its like comparing a evo 9 to a corvette at the ring. the advanced awd system makes driving easier without technique. but putting the same skilled driver to both cars, the driver would obviously pick the skyline because they'll use the same driving techniques on the skyline as they used for the gt3 but have better results.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Banned

and still..i would NEVER own a car with a SMG or paddle shift transmission...its has to be a stick...i have to "be part of the car"
Old 02-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Walmart Gangsta
and still..i would NEVER own a car with a SMG or paddle shift transmission...its has to be a stick...i have to "be part of the car"

as great of a technology the paddle shifting is and even though it can shift a tenths of seconds faster than if I were to shift doesn't matter to me.

Driving a car with a manual transmission takes skill and to me is a much more challenging way of going around a track at high speed and showing off a drivers true talent.

Anyone can drive a great car, but it takes a great driver to operate a car.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal

as great of a technology the paddle shifting is and even though it can shift a tenths of seconds faster than if I were to shift doesn't matter to me.

Driving a car with a manual transmission takes skill and to me is a much more challenging way of going around a track at high speed and showing off a drivers true talent.

As much of a Manual lover i am, where i often take cars, i wold MUCH rather have a really good trans like the GT-R or F-430 Scuderia for lapping around a track or auto-xing.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:01 PM
where is....

yeah, but i see it as a disadvantage than a strong point. thats like saying anyone brake around a corner, but a great driver doesnt need abs. but great drivers can use everything to their advantage.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
As much of a Manual lover i am, where i often take cars, i wold MUCH rather have a really good trans like the GT-R or F-430 Scuderia for lapping around a track or auto-xing.
There are systems that a good driver can outdriver. Like I mentioned above, it's more impressive for someone to turn good laps using their own motor skills. Anyone can drive a SMG/DSG/Auto consistently quick.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,921 Likes on 5,540 Posts
Originally Posted by Maximized
There are systems that a good driver can outdriver. Like I mentioned above, it's more impressive for someone to turn good laps using their own motor skills. Anyone can drive a SMG/DSG/Auto consistently quick.
not to mention, its a whole hell of a lot more damn fun to shift it yourself.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AznX TL
yeah, but i see it as a disadvantage than a strong point. thats like saying anyone brake around a corner, but a great driver doesnt need abs. but great drivers can use everything to their advantage.
You lost me on your comment and your comment doesn't hold much to be honest.

A car that has ABS, any driver can use to brake around a corner. A good driver doesn't need the ABS because they will use their skills to properly brake before the corner, downshift, and feather the throttle to get around the turn. Someone driving a car that has abs, traction control, an smg tranny doesn't really need to do as much thereby relinquishing the driver of using as much skill as they would driving a car that doesn't have those computer control units and the smg tranny. the more the computer controls and alters the characteristics of the car while it's in motion, the less skill the driver is using IMHO. Take out the traction control, abs, smg tranny, and all that other stuff, and you leave the feathering of the throttle, braking, shifting and other stuff to the skill of the driver.

Believe me I'm not trying to say that F1 drivers are less skilled because they drive cars that have an smg tranny compared to drivers that drive manuals, i'm just saying it takes less skill to drive an SMG than it does a manual.

Last edited by Sly Raskal; 02-27-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by srika
not to mention, its a whole hell of a lot more damn fun to shift it yourself.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:38 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
I would love to have both of these in my garage....
Old 02-27-2008, 10:07 PM
where is....

You lost me on your comment and your comment doesn't hold much to be honest.

A car that has ABS, any driver can use to brake around a corner. A good driver doesn't need the ABS because they will use their skills to properly brake before the corner, downshift, and feather the throttle to get around the turn. Someone driving a car that has abs, traction control, an smg tranny doesn't really need to do as much thereby relinquishing the driver of using as much skill as they would driving a car that doesn't have those computer control units and the smg tranny. the more the computer controls and alters the characteristics of the car while it's in motion, the less skill the driver is using IMHO. Take out the traction control, abs, smg tranny, and all that other stuff, and you leave the feathering of the throttle, braking, shifting and other stuff to the skill of the driver.

Believe me I'm not trying to say that F1 drivers are less skilled because they drive cars that have an smg tranny compared to drivers that drive manuals, i'm just saying it takes less skill to drive an SMG than it does a manual.
yeah thats true that it takes less skill to drive an smg, than someone driving a manual. its like taking a not skilled driver into a car with smg and all the computer goodies and racing a pro with a raw pure breed car. the guy with smg might be able to keep up or beat the guy with a manual. but if they we're both in the same car the more skilled driver could use all those goodies to his advantage and blow the other guy away.

im just saying that its true the gt3 takes more skill to drive, and the skyline could keep up with an unskilled driver. but once the skilled driver gets into the skyline he can use everything to his advantage.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
I guarantee that any of you guys claiming to be die-hard MT devotees would crap your pants and have a non-removable ear to ear shit eating grin after a drive or even a ride in a new GT-R.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AznX TL
yeah thats true that it takes less skill to drive an smg, than someone driving a manual. its like taking a not skilled driver into a car with smg and all the computer goodies and racing a pro with a raw pure breed car. the guy with smg might be able to keep up or beat the guy with a manual. but if they we're both in the same car the more skilled driver could use all those goodies to his advantage and blow the other guy away.

im just saying that its true the gt3 takes more skill to drive, and the skyline could keep up with an unskilled driver. but once the skilled driver gets into the skyline he can use everything to his advantage.
gotcha!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Banned

^ sounds like you've driven one...how was it?
Old 02-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mattg
I guarantee that any of you guys claiming to be die-hard MT devotees would crap your pants and have a non-removable ear to ear shit eating grin after a drive or even a ride in a new GT-R.
There is absolutely no friggin denying that driving any of these high powered exotics with an SMG would be fun because it would be awesome as hell to take them around the track.

driving a manual is different for people that truly love rowing through the gears.

Last edited by Sly Raskal; 02-27-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Senior Moderator

meh.

this is coming from someone who drives a fairly "high powered" MT every day.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Team Owner

meh.

this is coming from someone who drives a MT every day.
You don't enjoy driving a manual?
Old 02-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Team Owner

Am I the only one that thinks that GT-R has nothing on that porsche? (in terms of looks that is)
Old 02-27-2008, 10:49 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks that GT-R has nothing on that porsche? (in terms of looks that is)
The GT-R looks like the box the Porsche arrived in.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Senior Moderator

You don't enjoy driving a manual?
most of the time I do. but I seriously doubt I would miss it if I had a GT-R. And I doubt anyone else would either.

did you miss this quote?

"OMGGGG holy shit this thing is fast! I mean, REALLY fast. Porsche GT3? Forget it, doesn’t have the torque. 997 Turbo? We’ll stop later and wait for it to catch up. This car is truly, sensationally fast and I have a sudden understanding when Chris Harris calls it a baby Veyron."

I'm guessing this is from a person who has plenty of seat time in high powered MT porsches. I'm not sensing any disappointment or lack of enjoyment from his time in the GTR.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:53 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
lulz at MT circle jerk going on in here

GT-R ftw
Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Suzuka Master

most of the time I do. but I seriously doubt I would miss it if I had a GT-R. And I doubt anyone else would either.
I would miss a manual. I enjoy truely driving the car. Now when the GT-R manual comes out, that's a different story. A true sports car has to have a manual!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Senior Moderator

you're like super hard-core though.

true sports car... blah blah WTF evar.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Suzuka Master

you're like super hard-core though.

true sports car... blah blah WTF evar.
I am not hard core, but an enthusiast. Auto's are for drag racing. I prefer to do my own shifting. Most of the guys I know that are into cars and racing drive manuals.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:14 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The only think I dislike about cars today, and this isn't so much focused on the GT-R specifically , but it seems as if cars today utilize to much electronics and as such have taken the fun out of driving.

Yes, in some instances I'd rather not be taking a corner at a 90 degree angle, but there are times where I may actually would want to, and unfortunately with all the new technology it has inhibited me to drive a car the way I want to drive it.

Plus it requires that the mechanics that work on these vehicles have more expertise and as such it raises repair costs through the roof.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:15 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Even with that being said I'll gladly take one in White.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Maximized
I am not hard core, but an enthusiast. Auto's are for drag racing. I prefer to do my own shifting. Most of the guys I know that are into cars and racing drive manuals.
yes, but of course. I'm sure any true enthusiast would turn up their nose at an "auto" GT-R.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Eoanou
The only think I dislike about cars today, and this isn't so much focused on the GT-R specifically , but it seems as if cars today utilize to much electronics and as such have taken the fun out of driving.
I feel the same exact way and I would extend that to other parts of the car like climate control systems and such. Personally, I didn't like that on the CL i had to use the nav screen to operate the AC system. always annoyed the crap out of me.

give me a slider dial for temp, buttons for on/off and i'm set.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Team Owner

yes, but of course. I'm sure any true enthusiast would turn up their nose at an "auto" GT-R.
I would gladly take an "auto" GT-R, but if there was option I'd take the manual and sacrifice the tenths of a few seconds loss on shifting.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Senior Moderator

If I could afford one I would take the auto and never give it another thought. And I would feel sorry for the true enthusiasts who bought an auto and wished they would have waited for the MT.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,921 Likes on 5,540 Posts
diff'rent strokes..
Old 02-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Suzuka Master

I would gladly take an "auto" GT-R, but if there was option I'd take the manual and sacrifice the tenths of a few seconds loss on shifting.
I'd venture that once both the manual and DSG versions are run at the track, the manual will be faster in the hands of an experienced driver.

Quick Reply: 911 GT3 Owner reviews the Nissan GT-R