2004 Tl vs. 2004 Tl head to head

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004 | 12:26 PM
9th Gear

2004 Tl vs. 2004 Tl head to head

I went by this grey TL yesterday to catch up and admire I have a black one with A-spec wheels and this young punk actually tries to race me? so unless he had stick which by looking at the front brakes I don't think he did, there wasn't any difference except for the driver? so we both proceeded into empty lanes to the left and absolutely floored the cars....we both stayed within 1 foot of each other up to about 110 mp/h then I slowed way down ......he kept going (hopefully into a speed trap)?

I think a simple appreciating nod would have been enough when I pulled up next to him. I really wasn't trying to race him but I thought what the hell, let's open them up a little, mine has a little over 3K on it now........

I don't do it much but when you get on it, this car gets up and goes, especially at the higher rpm ranges.........it pulls good. :P
Old 08-06-2004 | 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Yea I have gotten that as well. I have an NBP with ASPEC rims 6 speed. I look to catch up to a TL on the road and kind of hang with them... Most think you are racing. It is stupid.
Old 08-06-2004 | 12:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by coop1018
Yea I have gotten that as well. I have an NBP with ASPEC rims 6 speed. I look to catch up to a TL on the road and kind of hang with them... Most think you are racing. It is stupid.

50 colorful TLs going together on freeway, how 's that feel!!
Old 08-06-2004 | 12:44 PM
Powered by Guinness

You weren't trying to race him? Explain again how you got to 110mph!
Old 08-06-2004 | 12:49 PM
Ak Ting Up

Originally Posted by leo221
50 colorful TLs going together on freeway, how 's that feel!!
TLs really look good on the move!! Personally I try to avoid racing other Honda products, I think its kinda disrespectful to the Make.
Old 08-06-2004 | 01:52 PM
2004 Acura TL SSM 6MT

Originally Posted by Aegir
You weren't trying to race him? Explain again how you got to 110mph!
That's what I was thinking.
Old 08-06-2004 | 02:03 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Originally Posted by AcuraVic
TLs really look good on the move!! Personally I try to avoid racing other Honda products, I think its kinda disrespectful to the Make.

Well said
Old 08-06-2004 | 02:26 PM
Team Owner

What kind of priorities do we have when we will race despite it being stupid and dangerous to other people, but won't because it's "disrespectful to the Make"?

Mike
Old 08-06-2004 | 02:52 PM
SOLD

I have 5AT with induction mod, with the spare tire and such out, I would like to race a 6MT (no a-spec) for fun! But the exact same car, that is pretty ridiculous. I know it is all in fun, but the point of racing someone at any speed is to see who is faster. If I ever "race" someone which I try not to do too often, I make sure it is a car that I don't already know I could beat, espcially not my own car.
Old 08-06-2004 | 03:21 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Originally Posted by J RIDE 81
Well said
I agree but what can you do if the other Honda driver wants to put the peddle to your mouth!!! You have no choice but to race the dude on the second light. I have modify Civics and Preludes wanted a piece of my TL. So what would you all do??? IGNORE AND LET THEM THINK YOUR TL IS TOOOOO SLOW FOR THEM OR GIVE THEM WHAT THEY DESERVE??? :nutkick:
Old 08-06-2004 | 03:48 PM
Intermediate

I'd just lay back. They don't deserve to race with our class of modern innovations. Besides, gas cost too much. Save it for the priveleged.
Old 08-06-2004 | 04:40 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Originally Posted by ed99
I agree but what can you do if the other Honda driver wants to put the peddle to your mouth!!! You have no choice but to race the dude on the second light. I have modify Civics and Preludes wanted a piece of my TL. So what would you all do??? IGNORE AND LET THEM THINK YOUR TL IS TOOOOO SLOW FOR THEM OR GIVE THEM WHAT THEY DESERVE??? :nutkick:
GIVE IT TO THEM .... HARD. :bananahump: I once race a mooded Integra. Started 3 cars behind @ 65 mph and ended 2 cars in front by 130 mph.
Old 08-06-2004 | 04:44 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 6speedv6
I once race a mooded Integra.
What mood was it in?
Old 08-06-2004 | 05:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I like this topic... I haven't raced with any 04TLs yet... :o
Old 08-06-2004 | 06:43 PM
Registered Big Dog

most TL drivers arent down to race.... the 04 TL is quick as hell
Old 08-06-2004 | 09:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by svtmike
What mood was it in?

Old 08-06-2004 | 10:10 PM
Senior Moderator

How I see it...

I subscribe to this philosophy: I won't race a car if the conclusion is forgone. I won't race the same kind of car that I have. IMO, that is crass and undignified. Why abuse $70,000 worth of fine machinery when you are essentially equals? To amuse the bystanders who haven't even bought a ticket? For what? You beat him tomorrow; he beats you today. Couldn't you compare reflexes better with a game of rock, scissors, paper with much less risk of life, limb, driver license and machinery?

Neither will I race a Corvette, Viper, M3, M5 CTS-V, WRX STi, etc. I know they are all faster. I don't need to embarrass myself and my car by confirming the obvious.

Now.... if I happen upon a G35 Sedan, an ES330, a Mustang GT, a Maxima or 3.5 Altima and they are feeling froggy, I might have to show them the TL's very attractive view from the rear. They are close enough to be competition and they come from a different "house".

Out of respect, I wouldn't race an RL and I don't think an RL owner worth his salt would race me either. Same for TSX and RSX-S. Why would we want to embarrass a sibling or vice-versa?

That being said... there are all kinds of street racing tricks to get the advantage over a slightly faster car. In this class, our class, differences are measured in tenths and hundredths of a second. Even the hallowed Corvette is only about a second quicker. If you toy with one and catch him in the wrong gear, you're gone and he will not catch you under 100. But, that knife cuts both ways.

I was driving an automatic 2000 C5 Corvette yesterday. My brother-in-law, the owner, told me to floor it getting on the Interstate. I did. I told him: "Wow! That is really quick!" Truth is... seat of the pants... it didn't feel as quick as my TL when I do the same thing. I didn't tell him that. I'm too considerate. Besides, I was a guest in this icon of American muscle. He wouldn't believe me anyway.

XP
Old 08-07-2004 | 03:04 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

same thing happen to me today, i saw another TL in middle lane going all slow and i caught up to me and tried to wave at him but he just ignored me so i''m like whatever, and as soon as light turns green, he floors it and i'm like ok wtf?
Old 08-10-2004 | 09:28 AM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

What mood was it in?
Intake, exhaust, cams, lightweight racing rims & tires, lowered suspension, etc. No turbo.
Old 08-10-2004 | 09:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Xpditor
I subscribe to this philosophy: I won't race a car if the conclusion is forgone. I won't race the same kind of car that I have. IMO, that is crass and undignified. Why abuse $70,000 worth of fine machinery when you are essentially equals? To amuse the bystanders who haven't even bought a ticket? For what? You beat him tomorrow; he beats you today. Couldn't you compare reflexes better with a game of rock, scissors, paper with much less risk of life, limb, driver license and machinery?

Neither will I race a Corvette, Viper, M3, M5 CTS-V, WRX STi, etc. I know they are all faster. I don't need to embarrass myself and my car by confirming the obvious.

Now.... if I happen upon a G35 Sedan, an ES330, a Mustang GT, a Maxima or 3.5 Altima and they are feeling froggy, I might have to show them the TL's very attractive view from the rear. They are close enough to be competition and they come from a different "house".

Out of respect, I wouldn't race an RL and I don't think an RL owner worth his salt would race me either. Same for TSX and RSX-S. Why would we want to embarrass a sibling or vice-versa?

That being said... there are all kinds of street racing tricks to get the advantage over a slightly faster car. In this class, our class, differences are measured in tenths and hundredths of a second. Even the hallowed Corvette is only about a second quicker. If you toy with one and catch him in the wrong gear, you're gone and he will not catch you under 100. But, that knife cuts both ways.

I was driving an automatic 2000 C5 Corvette yesterday. My brother-in-law, the owner, told me to floor it getting on the Interstate. I did. I told him: "Wow! That is really quick!" Truth is... seat of the pants... it didn't feel as quick as my TL when I do the same thing. I didn't tell him that. I'm too considerate. Besides, I was a guest in this icon of American muscle. He wouldn't believe me anyway.

XP
Well said.
Old 08-10-2004 | 11:22 AM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Intake, exhaust, cams, lightweight racing rims & tires, lowered suspension, etc. No turbo.
I'm sorry, are you being funny or just ignorant?

-phil
Old 08-10-2004 | 11:23 AM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

What kind of priorities do we have when we will race despite it being stupid and dangerous to other people, but won't because it's "disrespectful to the Make"?

Mike

Well said.

-phil
Old 08-10-2004 | 11:25 AM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

I agree but what can you do if the other Honda driver wants to put the peddle to your mouth!!!
You could wait until you hit puberty, grow some hair on your chest, and then realize how infantile this attitude is.

-phil
Old 08-11-2004 | 08:48 AM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Originally Posted by PhilB
I'm sorry, are you being funny or just ignorant?

-phil
I was talking about the INTEGRA moods. My TL is stock. When asking such a question, please be more specific.
Old 08-11-2004 | 03:10 PM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

I was talking about the INTEGRA moods. My TL is stock. When asking such a question, please be more specific.
In reference to svtmike's he asked "what mood was it in?" because your original post said:

"I once race a mooded Integra."

My question that you are answering above was pointing out that svtmike was ragging you for mispelling moded (as in modified).

It seems that you still have not figured out and are continuing to propogate the spelling error.

Of course it could be that I'm just not up to date on my street talk.

-phil
Old 08-11-2004 | 03:16 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by PhilB
In reference to svtmike's he asked "what mood was it in?" because your original post said:

"I once race a mooded Integra."

My question that you are answering above was pointing out that svtmike was ragging you for mispelling moded (as in modified).

It seems that you still have not figured out and are continuing to propogate the spelling error.

Of course it could be that I'm just not up to date on my street talk.

-phil
I agree with PhilB, but just to be an anal jackass here, it is not "mooded" or "moded". It would be modded = modified, or the condition of having mods = modifications.

By the way, why do we have to prove ANYTHING to a stranger who is revving their engine? I just don't get it. I guarantee you, your pride will recover from this great slight.

Enjoy your cars...
Old 08-11-2004 | 03:43 PM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
I agree with PhilB, but just to be an anal jackass here, it is not "mooded" or "moded". It would be modded = modified, or the condition of having mods = modifications.
I see your 10 and raise you 20.

-phil
Old 08-11-2004 | 03:57 PM
Pro

Um, you could take off at normal speed and let them race up to the second light by themselves like an idiot. I would think the guy that was in the race ALONE would feel more like a jackass than I would for not participating. I know what my TL can do, and so do most people who want "a piece" of it, so I don't really need to prove anything to anyone.
Old 08-11-2004 | 06:42 PM
I love my G sedan

Your insurance cost should be doubled.
Old 08-11-2004 | 07:25 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

I have not, nor do I really intend to race my precious TL. Under certain circumstances - and only when it is safe to do so - however, it is invigorating to share in some spirited driving with other cars - regarless of make. You know, the times when the cars on the freeway are well spaced and moving at or above the speed limit and you follow, lead or leap frog another car. City streets where I live are too risky no matter what time it is. There are few cars that I would even consider racing (under controlled situations), anyway. The funniest thing was a Mazda 6 with 4 adult males signals me by flashing his hazards in front of me. We were approaching a red light in a 35 MPH zone, near a high school (it was not close to school hours) in a city that is notorious for pulling anyone with the slightest shade to their skin. My gf was with me and we just laughed and let them find someone else to play with. I care about my gf, self, car and the general public (not necessarily in that order )way too much to entertain some dumba$$
Old 08-12-2004 | 02:34 AM
Yeah, its STOCK!!!

Originally Posted by twong11219
Besides, gas cost too much. Save it for the priveleged.
GAS is kinda expensive these days! hahahaha! its nearly $2.30 a gallon here in sac! two months ago, it was nearly $2.50 a gallon! so save the gas and cruise!
Old 08-12-2004 | 07:36 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Mike
My thoughts exactly...........
Old 08-12-2004 | 10:04 AM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc

By the way, why do we have to prove ANYTHING to a stranger who is revving their engine? I just don't get it. I guarantee you, your pride will recover from this great slight.

Enjoy your cars...
Oooo, OK. Dumb me. I should have used modded.
Old 09-09-2004 | 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Moved to Ramblings per new policy.
Old 10-05-2004 | 10:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Xpditor

XP