2004 Camry 4 cyl Sounds Like A Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2004 Camry 4 cyl Sounds Like A Diesel

Hi guys,

I posted this on the Toyota Forum as well but thought I'd try my luck here too, given great everyone is.

My dad has a 2004 Camry LE 4 cylinder with 171k miles on it. When he started his engine this morning, he said it was making a loud noise so I checked it out when I got home. The engine sounds like a pure diesel engine. I took it for a test drive and it drove perfectly fine with no loss in power (though I drive the car once every few months).

I posted a video on youtube (link below) where you can have a look. It sounds like it's coming from the piston itself since that's where most of the noise is. The belts look and sound fine. Additionally, it's coming from the 1st or 2nd piston on the left when facing the car.

Does anyone know what this could be? If it's something that can be fixed without changing the engine, then we're likely inclined to do so (under 1k maybe). Otherwise, they'll just get a new car.

Thanks in advance for all your feedback.

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvyObef2id0
Old 09-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
It's very hard to diagnose an engine when someone can't see and hear it firsthand. I've heard engines with a definite knock, and they often sound different from vehicle to vehicle. I've also heard engines that sounded like they were knocking, but instead it was either an exhaust manifold, ancillary items, or even a tensioner making the noise. All that being said, it does sound like a definite knock.

If so, the only option is rebuild or replacement. It may be worth it to you to see if you can obtain an engine from a wrecker. Some wreckers even offer a guarantee or replace options. Considering the age of the car, this make be a good option.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any CELs?
i had a similar problem with my 99 altima around the same amount of miles. sounded like a diesel engine for a while, CEL popped up out of nowhere one day and turned out to be the injectors
Old 09-08-2011, 09:05 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
make sure your oil level is good and get your injectors cleaned. can you pull the plugs and take pictures? (keep them in order by cyl)

edit: stop driving it
Old 09-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by teranfon
It's very hard to diagnose an engine when someone can't see and hear it firsthand. I've heard engines with a definite knock, and they often sound different from vehicle to vehicle. I've also heard engines that sounded like they were knocking, but instead it was either an exhaust manifold, ancillary items, or even a tensioner making the noise. All that being said, it does sound like a definite knock.

If so, the only option is rebuild or replacement. It may be worth it to you to see if you can obtain an engine from a wrecker. Some wreckers even offer a guarantee or replace options. Considering the age of the car, this make be a good option.
hmm - thanks for your reply. This is definitely a knock. It's most noticable right on top of the manifold above cylinder 1. I think we'll just end up getting a new car soon. 2012 Camry should be out soon, and as much as I dont like the rear end, it seems like the best option.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by phee
make sure your oil level is good and get your injectors cleaned. can you pull the plugs and take pictures? (keep them in order by cyl)

edit: stop driving it
The oil level was fine and he actually changed the oil yesterday after he noticed the noise. I'm going to try pulling the plugs and even change them around to see if the noise moves with it. Unfortunately, he took the car with him to work today, but i'm off tomorrow and will look at it then.

Thanks,
Old 09-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RuhRohh
any CELs?
i had a similar problem with my 99 altima around the same amount of miles. sounded like a diesel engine for a while, CEL popped up out of nowhere one day and turned out to be the injectors
Unfortunately no CEL yet.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Sounds like a busted bearing. Any belt squeal? Take the drivebelt off.. it'll narrow down the culprits.