2002 Lexus SC430 Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Not just a smell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
...And where do you even remotely get the Solara as being the sister car to the SC? The two cars have NO relation other than both being Toyotas.
They're not on the same platform (whatever that means), but surely they have the same gayness and I think the same limp wrists penned both designs.

Basically, every review of either the SC or Solara mentions the other and their similarities in gay form, gay function and gay role in Lexus/Toyota's lineup. One of Acura/Honda's faults is that they do not have a gay car in their lineups. From a car buyer demographic point of view, perhaps this is a greater error than the lack of RWD/V8.

But really, the only thing gayer than the SC/Solara would be if the OP actually used these posts to form his opinion about the car
Old 01-23-2009, 07:27 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,081 Likes on 2,698 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishy
They're not on the same platform (whatever that means), but surely they have the same gayness and I think the same limp wrists penned both designs.

Basically, every review of either the SC or Solara mentions the other and their similarities in gay form, gay function and gay role in Lexus/Toyota's lineup. One of Acura/Honda's faults is that they do not have a gay car in their lineups. From a car buyer demographic point of view, perhaps this is a greater error than the lack of RWD/V8.

But really, the only thing gayer than the SC/Solara would be if the OP actually used these posts to form his opinion about the car
You must be illiterate, too. I did post my opinions of the car. Yes, I do like it, and I guess just makes me a giant homo.

I'll take that label rather than that of some reject who got banned and just couldn't go away.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
for a contractable hardtop luxo, you probably cant get more for your moneys worth than a used SC. but thats pretty much where the line is drawn. SL? twice as much
Old 01-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Design of the SC430 is love-it-or-hate-it. If you love it, then that's a big plus.

I have driven one (short distance in a residential area) and it absorbed every imperfection in the road. So the 'numb' feeling many have mentioned is absolutely correct. I didn't notice any major body roll (I really wasn't going to push this car where kids play) but adequate for its intended potential buyer.

To the OP -- drive one and see if the car is for you or not. Who cares what other people think? You're the one driving it -- not the person replying to the message.

Believe me -- if any of your friends hate on the SC (if you end up buying one) -- I'm sure they'll be jealous you have such a nice car. Not sure about the insurance rates on those run for ... but they are definitely not that common on the road, so it will stand out (for better or for worse) ...
Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,019 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by derrick
Design of the SC430 is love-it-or-hate-it. If you love it, then that's a big plus.

I have driven one (short distance in a residential area) and it absorbed every imperfection in the road. So the 'numb' feeling many have mentioned is absolutely correct. I didn't notice any major body roll (I really wasn't going to push this car where kids play) but adequate for its intended potential buyer.

To the OP -- drive one and see if the car is for you or not. Who cares what other people think? You're the one driving it -- not the person replying to the message.

Believe me -- if any of your friends hate on the SC (if you end up buying one) -- I'm sure they'll be jealous you have such a nice car. Not sure about the insurance rates on those run for ... but they are definitely not that common on the road, so it will stand out (for better or for worse) ...

You drive what you like. And the only comparable car would be the Mercedes CL or SL series, IMO. The Solara comparison is very weak at best.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I myself have always liked the styling of both the 1G and the 2G SC's. I'd rather rock a 2G any day for the luxury factor. I have driven only the 1G in V6 auto form so I can't comment much on performance.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:37 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
They are great. My uncle picked one up when they first came out, I loved it.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Pro

Honestly one of the worst looking lux cars after the new tl. Get a used e46 325 330convert.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm...so according to you, using the opinions of others to help with a decision is gay? thanks for letting us know that.

anyways, im hopefully going to be able to go for a test drive next week, and i agree the design IS either love it or hate it.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by tsxgoogs
Honestly one of the worst looking lux cars after the new tl. Get a used e46 325 330convert.
im going to stay away from german cars for now...and im not too interested in those
Old 01-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by derrick

haha yes, seeing this thread i can see there will certainly be a lot of hating on it....but then again i dont care, if i end up liking it, ill get it. my CLS now gets hated on all the time for being an accord with a bunch of shit on it. i dont care?

and yes, i definitely like the standing out factor.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by thevikas87
im going to stay away from german cars for now...and im not too interested in those
Your claim to be the guy is now suspect after that post lol
Old 01-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by AMGala
Your claim to be the guy is now suspect after that post lol
haha why man? all the indians i know drive japanese...maybe 2 out of every 10 drive otherwise...
Old 01-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Nice car, I've always liked it. HOWEVER If i'm not mistaken, the 2002's had a slghtly different suspension tuning from the 2003+ models, it was a bit more stiff. Combined with the overly stiff run-flat tires, it made the handling to be a bit harsh and complained about by many owners. They revised the '03+ models with a softer tire and **I THINK** softened up the suspension a bit.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
haha why man? all the indians i know drive japanese...maybe 2 out of every 10 drive otherwise...
LOL I'm just playing. I'm too, and it seems like most want a BMW or MB if they can afford it.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Nice car, I've always liked it. HOWEVER If i'm not mistaken, the 2002's had a slghtly different suspension tuning from the 2003+ models, it was a bit more stiff. Combined with the overly stiff run-flat tires, it made the handling to be a bit harsh and complained about by many owners. They revised the '03+ models with a softer tire and **I THINK** softened up the suspension a bit to give it a better ride. And i'm not talking Cadillac soft, just tuned it to handle road imperfections better and not be dancing over them because of the overly stiff original setup..
Old 01-26-2009, 09:17 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,481 Posts
very feminine car imo
Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 PM
T-Swzy

my friend's parents bought one back when it first came out. he took me for a spin behind his house where the roads were windy and twisty. it's been a while since then but from what i can remember. it was smooth as butter. god, the stereo system is insane. built in navigation and it was just fancy as hell. if bat-out-of-hell isnt your thing and you're more into girl-out-of-panty this baby will do the job.

and plz, girly?

if driving that makes me gay, then goddammit richard simmons is my new best friend
Old 01-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Pro

Just curious, why? I would seriously consider a german. There are so many options and the used market is just flooded with off lease ones. If you get certified used the insurance is less and the warranties are usually better then new car warranties.

Dont buy an SC my girlfriends mother has one and its not that fun to drive its made for old ladies.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by Razzi
and plz, girly?

if driving that makes me gay, then goddammit richard simmons is my new best friend
That car, in XXX lipstick red, is more girly than two Brownie troops in a Claire's at the mall, big guy.

Driving those cars doesn't make you gay. However, make sure your girlfriend doesn't find out you're wearing her brassiere, skirt, pantyhose and heels when you're tooling around in those.

Oh, nice sig, BTW!

Last edited by Will Y.; 01-26-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Kang Ho

the black one is nice. the red is..
Old 01-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Probably, but you'll see the light if you hang around here long enough
Old 01-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Por Favor?

They never offered the car with a real transmission so I would never seriously want one, but I sure as hell would drive a 97 5spd SC300 (the last year they offered manual transmission...very rare)
Old 01-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by Razzi
my friend's parents bought one back when it first came out. he took me for a spin behind his house where the roads were windy and twisty. it's been a while since then but from what i can remember. it was smooth as butter. god, the stereo system is insane. built in navigation and it was just fancy as hell. if bat-out-of-hell isnt your thing and you're more into girl-out-of-panty this baby will do the job.

and plz, girly?

the black one. FTW. agreed.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Banned

they look nice with a drop and some wheels

Old 01-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by tsxgoogs
Just curious, why? I would seriously consider a german. There are so many options and the used market is just flooded with off lease ones. If you get certified used the insurance is less and the warranties are usually better then new car warranties.

Dont buy an SC my girlfriends mother has one and its not that fun to drive its made for old ladies.
why? you ask?

because, i have seen too many maintenance nightmares with german cars with higher mileage. Until I graduate, and have a decent job, i cant afford to be paying for ridiculous shit going wrong on german cars. I would much rather stick with japanese reliability...

I feel like german cars are really nice, no doubt, but i feel thats true only when they're new for the most part. when they get older and near 100k, most require very expensive parts and services. and right now, with my college scholarships, and part time job, i dont need to be paying for getting my car serviced etc. while i can afford minor repairs here and there.

And now im sure someone will chime in to say "what? you're in college? you dont need a nice car, i didnt have one! "
keep in mind, I am paying for all of this, except the insurance

::waiting for ppl to start arguing about the points i just made::
Old 01-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Por Favor?

No that's probably a wise idea given you current position...lets not pretend rediculous (and expensive) shit never goes wrong on late model Japanese cars either. Maybe not as often as European cars, but still. SC430's have expensive moving parts that could be hell to pay for if something went wrong. They were never exactly designed for the "baller on a budget" set either.

Last edited by Brandon24pdx; 01-27-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

The one issue with the SC is if you blow a tire out. Those things are expensive (I believe they are 18 inch (minimum), so $200 plus per tire is a lot, and for a college student it's a fortune.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
No that's probably a wise idea given you current position...lets not pretend rediculous (and expensive) shit never goes wrong on late model Japanese cars either. Maybe not as often as European cars, but still. SC430's have expensive moving parts that could be hell to pay for if something went wrong. They were never exactly designed for the "baller on a budget" set either.
hah, yes. thank you. i totally understand that expensive repairs are also apart of the experience owning japanese luxury, but like you said, "not as often" is the commonly accepted truth. If worse comes to worse, family will help me out with some major repairs...i just cant have dumb shit like my oil sensor, power windows, rewiring, the list goes on with what has gone wrong with my friends bimmers and benz. And im not quite the "baller on a budget" I drive a 8 year old CLS....not exactly baller. and a 7 year old SC430 wouldn't qualify me for that baller status either.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by mrmako
The one issue with the SC is if you blow a tire out. Those things are expensive (I believe they are 18 inch (minimum), so $200 plus per tire is a lot, and for a college student it's a fortune.

ohh man, that doesnt sound too good...i drive a lot of highway miles and that adds up and means new tires frequently...
Old 01-28-2009, 04:35 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd keep the CL.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Not just a smell

...and am curious to know what your opinions are on it?

Looks?

Quick or not?

Reliable?
hmm...so according to you, using the opinions of others to help with a decision is gay? thanks for letting us know that.
Other people can provide facts (not opinions) and only you should decide for yourself:

Just how gay is the SC430?
Is it quick enough for me?
Can I tolerate the expected ownership costs?

...And im not quite the "baller on a budget" I drive a 8 year old CLS....not exactly baller. and a 7 year old SC430 wouldn't qualify me for that baller status either.
Not baller, but it'll qualify you for "student tea bagger" status.

IMO, there are a lot better choices for a student needing transportation like a newish Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, etc. All a marginally maintained 7yr old SC430 will say about you is that you're either pretentious trailer trash or driving grandma's car.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Your mom is in

Other people can provide facts (not opinions) and only you should decide for yourself:

Just how gay is the SC430?
Is it quick enough for me?
Can I tolerate the expected ownership costs?

Not baller, but it'll qualify you for "student tea bagger" status.

IMO, there are a lot better choices for a student needing transportation like a newish Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, etc. All a marginally maintained 7yr old SC430 will say about you is that you're either pretentious trailer trash or driving grandma's car.

Yes. I am sure, me, driving a sc430 will portray me as pretentious trailer trash. OR driving grandma's car.

.......ok so lets be honest. If you could afford it at my age. then why wouldnt you drive a CLS? or in this case a SC430?? why the hell would i go for a newer Fit, or a Versa? What the hell would that say about me?

driving a fit... lets see...what would that say about me? im conscious about my gas mileage?....oh lets not forget how many girls would want to hop on in!

same goes for the versa...

here you are bashing the SC430..yet all you had to come up with as an alternative was a Fit or a Versa? nice.

oh and its ok if we disagree, because this thread is about opinions afterall. and yes other people CAN yield opinions in addition to facts.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by lifetimeofwar
I'd keep the CL.

Really? CLS > SC430 ?
Old 01-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Not just a smell

...why the hell would i go for a newer Fit, or a Versa? What the hell would that say about me?
...oh lets not forget how many girls would want to hop on in!
Your shoes say more than your car to most women. And the SC430 will be writing checks to the skanks you pick up that your personality/wallet can't cash. Where are you going to take them? White Castle? You're being Kumar and you should really be Harold. Harold gets the real hottie.

Get the Fit and wear Birkenstocks so all those eco hippie chicks in universities will think you're cool. They may not all shave their arm pits but they are easy on the wallet.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:14 AM
Your mom is in

Your shoes say more than your car to most women. And the SC430 will be writing checks to the skanks you pick up that your personality/wallet can't cash. Where are you going to take them? White Castle? You're being Kumar and you should really be Harold. Harold gets the real hottie.

Get the Fit and wear Birkenstocks so all those eco hippie chicks in universities will think you're cool. They may not all shave their arm pits but they are easy on the wallet.
LOL way to go! i think you're starting to take this way too seriously buddy, how about sticking to the topic?
Old 01-29-2009, 06:34 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I think they look awkward on the outside, they're pretty pimp on the inside though. The interior layout is plain but I really like it. I've only sat in it and tried out the features but I never drove it, can't imagine it'd be very exciting though. IMO they look better in darker colors, like navy blue.... that black one with the Varianza T1S looks nice.

Anyone insecure enough to worry about how gay a car is, how redneck it is, how ricer it is, etc. needs to get over themselves. A car is not an extension or representation of your personality unless you choose to let it be. Who gives a shit about what other people think about what you drive, as long as you enjoy the car. You're driving it.... not them.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:48 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

I don't know if it's a 2 door, or convertible you're looking at, but an alternative to the SC430 might be a Volvo C70. They are relatively inexpensive, you can get the hard top coupe or a convertible, cheaper to maintain, and definitely easier on the wallet.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
I think they look awkward on the outside, they're pretty pimp on the inside though. The interior layout is plain but I really like it. I've only sat in it and tried out the features but I never drove it, can't imagine it'd be very exciting though. IMO they look better in darker colors, like navy blue.... that black one with the Varianza T1S looks nice.

Anyone insecure enough to worry about how gay a car is, how redneck it is, how ricer it is, etc. needs to get over themselves. A car is not an extension or representation of your personality unless you choose to let it be. Who gives a shit about what other people think about what you drive, as long as you enjoy the car. You're driving it.... not them.
Thank you, I agree.

It's not that I want my car to be an extension or representation of my personality, but you have to agree to some extent, that your car DOES in fact say something(s) about you, whether good or bad.

As for what other people think about what I drive? I don't care for the most part..I get all the usual comments like "Nice Accord.." or "thats just an Accord with some more shit on it." I enjoy my CLS, and if I happen to enjoy the SC430, fine by me.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by mrmako
I don't know if it's a 2 door, or convertible you're looking at, but an alternative to the SC430 might be a Volvo C70. They are relatively inexpensive, you can get the hard top coupe or a convertible, cheaper to maintain, and definitely easier on the wallet.

I'm trying to stick to lux coupes...but I'll definitely look into that!

Quick Reply: 2002 Lexus SC430 Opinions Please