140 mile over spd limit!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 02:12 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
140 mile over spd limit!

140 mile over spd limit! This is definately not my TL... my TL is in the Body shop after someone rear end me in a raining day @ 35 mph... then he ran away on foot! Later the state trooper found out the dude's insurance was expired!

09/21/2004 - 140MPH OVER THE LIMIT

Kim David/KROC AM News
The State Patrol says a record may have been set this past Saturday near Kellogg. A State Patrol airplane clocked a motorcycle travelling at 205 miles-per-hour as it headed down Highway 61. The 20-year old Stillwater man driving the bike was ticketed for reckless driving, speeding and driving without a motorcycle license. One of the troopers involved in the incident says he has never heard of a motorist driving that fast. Several other bikers were ticketed Saturday for driving over 100-miles per hour. Troopers were out in force to keep an eye out for those taking part in the bi-annual " Flood Run " in southeastern Minnesota...
http://www.kroc.com/kroc_am/
Old 09-22-2004, 02:20 AM
i souport publik edekason

I heard about this and supposedly he was on GSXR1000...

World Superbike motorcycles (professionals - $1,000,000 motorcycles each) are now just breaking the 200 MPH barrier...

There is now F@#$in way that he was going that fast...

This story seems bogus...

I don't believe that specific speed rating from that bike (if he had his bike on the bottle and turboed maybe...)

BS...

Salut
Old 09-22-2004, 02:26 AM
Racer

more report from a local tv station...

http://wcco.com/localnews/local_story_265090112.html

http://www.upn29.com/news/story.asp?...ent_id=1636206
Old 09-22-2004, 02:30 AM
Racer

Armstrong was riding a 1000 cc high performance Honda sport bike. It's a powerful but legal, and safe in the hands of a responsible rider.

"The vast majority of the people riding a sport bike will never ever in their wildest dreams see 200 miles an hour." But on Saturday, one did. And he's in a lot of trouble. "I would not like to be in this guy's shoes when he's before the judge."

That judge also has the honor of adding up the fine. There's no precedent for 140 miles an hour over the limit. The highest on the books is 31 over: that's a $200 dollar fine. But the judge may be the least of Armstrong's worries. That's because his father is a Washington County Sheriff's Deputy. No one was home Tuesday night when we went to ask for a comment.
yup... its a honda
Old 09-22-2004, 02:32 AM
Racer

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...?storyid=69711

its a Honda RC-51
Old 09-22-2004, 02:37 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another coverage:

Minnesota Trooper Writes 205 MPH Ticket

WABASHA, Minn. (Sept. 21) - With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.

Talk About It

· Chat | Post Messages
· Top News Boards

On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."

Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.

After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.

The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license - and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

A search of speeding tickets written by state troopers, who patrol most of the state's highways, between 1990 and February 2004 shows the next fastest ticket was for 150 mph in 1994 in Lake of the Woods County.

Tilley did not return calls from the newspaper to his home Monday. A working number for him could not immediately be found by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

09/21/04 16:39 EDT

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:25 AM
WDP Is Faster

that guy is freakin 20 years old? man..he looks like a freakin high school kid. What a freakin immature asshole. It's people like him that need to seriosuly get hurt or be gone with.

Mod Edit (neuronbob): Moving to Cars and Bikes
Old 09-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

This story is everywhere...

I was browsing another car forum and this bike speeding story was there as well.
I grew up in Hokah, MN, which is near the start of the "free" speeding zone along the Mississippi.
In 1988, MN used corvettes to patrol that stretch of road. That's the year I got my license, and I remember driving past those corvettes almost every weekend. They'd always park at the Dresbach exit on rt14.... eventually 14 and 61 intersect.

My brother told me that one of the seniors got caught by one of the vettes for speeding 120mph (it was a 55mph highway system back then). He was doing 120 steady down the highway, and the vette caught him in less than 2 miles after he passed the Dresbach exit.

My brother had a chevy citation II, and his normal trip time from Hokah to Winona was 20 minutes, it's a little over 30 miles away. That time includes leaving the driveway and arriving to meet his friends. I didn't have a car, so i didn't get a chance to speed.

That highway was where people sped back in my day, and I guess it's still where they speed today.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlackShadow
When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.
It sounds like the cop probably made a bit of an error when he clocked the bike. 4.39 seconds is not a lot of time, nor is a quarter mile a lot of distance. Because of the speed involved, a few tenths or hundredths of a second will make a huge difference in speed.

If you do a quarter mile in 4.39 seconds, that means it takes you 17.56 seconds to travel a mile if you maintain the same average speed, and VASCAR is all about average speed (if you average speed X over distance Y, you must have been going at least X some point in time). 60 miles per hour means it takes you one minute or 60 seconds to travel one mile. Divide 60/17.56 and you get 3.4169. Multiply that by 60 MPH and you get 205.011 MPH. This is what the cop did when he calculated the ticket.

Lets say the cop was off by .36 of a second when he clocked the bike in terms of how long it took to travel the quarter mile. Not a difficult assumption to make given how little time was involved, the distance, speed, etc.

Lets say it actually took 4.75 seconds for the bike to travel that quarter mile. Doing the same set of calculations gives a new speed average of 189.5 MPH.

As you compound the error, the speed changes dramatically. If the cop was off by a second, the speed would be off by almost 40 MPH. (167 MPH)
Old 09-22-2004, 01:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I agree with brahtw8...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0922042speed1.html

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showp...34&postcount=1

Wow, we have 3 threads talking about the same topic... should I merge them??? This thread is earliest in A-TL.com... after MERGE, yours will still stay on the top...
Old 09-22-2004, 01:55 PM
Racer

go ahead merge them... it make sense
Old 09-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by salut88888
I heard about this and supposedly he was on GSXR1000...

World Superbike motorcycles (professionals - $1,000,000 motorcycles each) are now just breaking the 200 MPH barrier...

There is now F@#$in way that he was going that fast...

This story seems bogus...

I don't believe that specific speed rating from that bike (if he had his bike on the bottle and turboed maybe...)

BS...

Salut
I agree wholeheartedly that an RC51, unless heavily modified, is incapable of hitting 205. The aerodynamic drag makes hitting 205 very difficult.
Regarding the comment above, superbikes have been capable of hitting 200+ for years. They are capable of doing much more if they were doing nothing more than straight line racing, but, they aren't. They are chaning the gear ratios to give them the most usable power on the track that they are racing. If a track, such as Daytona, has a long straight, the bike tuners will adjust the gearing so that the rider is able to have good pull out of the turns and also have the bike come close to hitting redline just as he's passing the start/finish line and approaching his brake markers for turn 1. If they didn't have the infield to run at Daytona, or if turn 1 was further down the track, they would switch the gearing to allow even faster top speeds. Take that same bike and put them on a track with a shorter straight and tighter turns, such as Virginia International Raceway, the tuners would significantly change there gearing to give more bottom end pull out of the corners resulting in a reduction of the top end/top gear power and 200 wouldn't be able to be achieved.
Lightly modified Suzuki Hyabusa's are able to come close to 200 mph. It's not so much a result of the additional power they put out, but, the aerodynamics of the body. By comparison, a 99 Hyabusa out of the box put out 156 horsepower, weighed about 550 lbs and was capable of about 190 mph out of the box. A 2004 Kawasaki ZX10 puts out 164 horsepower, weighs significantly less at about 450 lbs, but, is only capable of a top speed of about 186 mph.