10 and 2? or 9 and 3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:48 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I sent a PM to our resident M/T Guru, SouthernBoy.
Hope he replies and answers our questions.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:57 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dano4o8
I find myself with my left hand at 6 when im just cruising on an empty highway, but most of the time im a 10-2.
6 FTW

but otherwise when i have two hands on the wheel, normally 8 and 4 here, kinda like i am meditating lol
Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
My dad was told that in his 2010 challenger srt from the salesguy......but its a pistol grip???

I still need more info on this....I should maybe google.
Pistol grip wouldn't matter, that's just the knob on the shifter.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:09 PM

^well i understand putting extra wear on a normal ball shifter....
but with the pistol grip im gripping it.....err idunno. Where is southernboy???
Old 11-03-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Hey there, 'morning to ya'.

A transaxle is a component which contains the transmission, the differential, and other related components of the drive axles (the geared drive train if you will) in on encasement. This is a fairly simplified definition but it is essentially what comprises transaxle system.

As for wearing it out by keeping your hand on the shifter (while moving) - no. However, if you have a habit of resting your hand on the shifter when in neutral and stopped, yes this can possibly be a bad thing. What can happen is this.

If you impart a little movement as in forward or backward motion to the shifter, you can cause synchronizers to engage slightly. Of course, this can and will bring about added wear. The movement doesn't need to be all that much.. just enough to start a shifter fork moving.
hope this clears up any confusion.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:25 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts

I'll keep my hand off the shifter in neutral just in case.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
so if in neutral and ur hand doesnt move the shifter at all ... in theory there should be no wear?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:53 AM
AM Flakes still Drippin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^ I assume it would have to be right in the middle of neutral to not engage synchronizers.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
9 and 3 often when I'm doing city or driving stick... But on the highway, 9:30 with left elbow chilling on the door for longer distances.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco

I'll keep my hand off the shifter in neutral just in case.

I have a lot of respect for Southerboy's vehicular knowledge but my cars manufacturer says not to do it so I'm gonna go with what they say. But enough of my (sorry Costco)

For the most part I'm at high noon on the wheel, for a trip down one of New Englands twisty back roads I'm 9 and 3.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
right arm out the window...left hand at 3..

sometimes i use this it really helps my elbows on long journeys

http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Office-.../dp/B000IZGIA8
Old 11-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by HosTL Moderation
^ I assume it would have to be right in the middle of neutral to not engage synchronizers.
When the shifter is in neutral and the clutch is engaged (pedal is not depressed), if you were to move it a little it most likely would not cause synchronizers to contact one another providing there is some freeplay in the shifter. As for me, I do not do this because I don't wish to take the chance and guess whether or not there is a slight bit of contact. I just don't do it until I am ready to shift into a gear and start moving.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by black label

I have a lot of respect for Southerboy's vehicular knowledge but my cars manufacturer says not to do it so I'm gonna go with what they say. But enough of my (sorry Costco)

For the most part I'm at high noon on the wheel, for a trip down one of New Englands twisty back roads I'm 9 and 3.
My 2000 SVT Contour also had a warning in the owner's manual against doing this for the reasons I have offered, though they didn't say why.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
I'm amazed at all the two-handed driving positions. For me it's usually relaxed with my right elbow on the armrest 99.9% of the time, and a few fingers at either 5 or 7 Only time I use two hands is when I'm turning (even then it's only half the time), taking a corner briskly, or probably going faster than I should.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:29 PM
B A N N E D

When the shifter is in neutral and the clutch is engaged (pedal is not depressed), if you were to move it a little it most likely would not cause synchronizers to contact one another providing there is some freeplay in the shifter. As for me, I do not do this because I don't wish to take the chance and guess whether or not there is a slight bit of contact. I just don't do it until I am ready to shift into a gear and start moving.
but it is kinda like how you are not suppose to drive with your left foot resting on the brake or clutch, it takes out any slack you may have (even if you are doing it ever so slightly

and as far as people resting thier hand on the shifter while in gear and driven, yeah you don't want to do that either, cause over enough miles, it will wear out the shift forks (or the bushings on the tips)/synchro grooves (where the forks ride) causing the possibility of a gear not fully engaging because it cannot push said gear far enough in
basically all of it still equals rebuilding the gearbox prematurely
Old 11-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
I honestly doubt resting your hand on the shifter will wear out the forks so much that you'll need to open up the transmission before something else damages it, or the car's junked.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:48 PM
B A N N E D

depends on maintence of the tranny itself (like fluid not being changed for 100k or so...)(and the design/materials of the tranny), but also how hard you rest your hand on the shifter, with how fast it wears

and remember when i said "the forks bushings", yeah some of them are nylon (or at least a plastic), and are design to only be engaged for a second or so AT a time, so what happens when they are engaged longer, and literally melt away and fall off the fork, you just gained a bunch of clearance ( and it will effect the other gear that syncho shares with it [geneally 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th, then 5th and 6th or 5th and reverse)
Old 11-03-2010, 03:01 PM
B A N N E D

also look at this picture (original link: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co.../photo_15.html )

btw it is out of a tremac tko 600 manual tranny (maybe not a honda, but still good idea to still drive like they are there)

notice those little black thing on the fork on the right..., yeah those are the little plastic bushings i am talking about, loose those, and you gain a bunch of clearence
Old 11-03-2010, 03:08 PM
B A N N E D

Old 11-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by friesm2000
but it is kinda like how you are not suppose to drive with your left foot resting on the brake or clutch, it takes out any slack you may have (even if you are doing it ever so slightly

and as far as people resting thier hand on the shifter while in gear and driven, yeah you don't want to do that either, cause over enough miles, it will wear out the shift forks (or the bushings on the tips)/synchro grooves (where the forks ride) causing the possibility of a gear not fully engaging because it cannot push said gear far enough in
basically all of it still equals rebuilding the gearbox prematurely
Good points all and all are worth taking note of by manual drivers.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by friesm2000
depends on maintence of the tranny itself (like fluid not being changed for 100k or so...)(and the design/materials of the tranny), but also how hard you rest your hand on the shifter, with how fast it wears

and remember when i said "the forks bushings", yeah some of them are nylon (or at least a plastic), and are design to only be engaged for a second or so AT a time, so what happens when they are engaged longer, and literally melt away and fall off the fork, you just gained a bunch of clearance ( and it will effect the other gear that syncho shares with it [geneally 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th, then 5th and 6th or 5th and reverse)
What with so many people having had the infamous 3rd gear problems in Honda manual transmissions, it is my opinion that anything you can do that will prolong the life of your transmission components is going to help you. I do these things anyway just because that is my preference. But with the failures which have occurred resulting in TSBs, it's a good thing to go the extra mile and practice good techniques.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by black label

No worries. The more we can learn from a thread, the better. I don't mind if a thread I made gets sidetracked, as long as it doesn't devolve into a discussion about side mirrors, ground clearance and drag coefficient.......
Old 11-03-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Flame me but I rarely have both hands towards the top of the steering wheel. I have my seat in such a way where I can hold the wheel at 5 and 7 down lower. Much more comfortable.

I sometimes do 12 with one hand..
Old 11-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Good points all and all are worth taking note of by manual drivers.
is the point at which such things would start showing any affect be like over 500k miles, or would it be like closer to 100k? jw, sometimes us enthusiasts go crazy with little things that we may never see within the period we own our cars fors
Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 PM
B A N N E D

What with so many people having had the infamous 3rd gear problems in Honda manual transmissions, it is my opinion that anything you can do that will prolong the life of your transmission components is going to help you. I do these things anyway just because that is my preference. But with the failures which have occurred resulting in TSBs, it's a good thing to go the extra mile and practice good techniques.
swapped an 05 tranny (with about 79k on it) into my 03 TL, and when i recieved it, i had seen that it had already been opened before, so i called up acura, and actually got the dealers number that had done the warrenty work on it at 59k for indeed the 3rd gear issue (they where surprisingly helpful , but then again i was pretty specific with what i wanted to know though, of why the case had been split open already)

that pretty much applies to anything mechanical though

Originally Posted by VQPower37
is the point at which such things would start showing any affect be like over 500k miles, or would it be like closer to 100k? jw, sometimes us enthusiasts go crazy with little things that we may never see within the period we own our cars fors
as said my tranny was already repaired at 59k for the 3rd gear issue

and sometimes we can easily be talking about less then 20k miles here, if abused hard enough (or a couple of track outings if you are really bad)

ie: give me 2 minutes with an automatic transmission (brand new or used, i don't care), and i will seize up first gear for you (how do you think my auto unusable anymore)

Last edited by friesm2000; 11-03-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi
right arm out the window...left hand at 3..
That sounds horribly difficult and not safe way of driving.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Never Summer
That sounds horribly difficult and not safe way of driving.
I choose a high risk lifestyle plus, that steering wheel desk is great for snorting cocaine
Old 11-04-2010, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Costco
Where do you guys position your hands on the steering wheel? Ever since I first started driving in a 97 Civic, I naturally settled on 9 and 3, and just couldn't go about it any other way. The grips protruding from the airbag section were right there, a nice part for my thumbs to settle against. Even if I'm taking a hard corner, I try and keep it at around 9 and 3ish. Much easier to control that way, IMO.

I try not to rest my hand on the shifter.... it's more like I rest my elbow on the armrest and just settle my palm on the shifter. And occasionally I'll slack off, one hand on the steering wheel at 10 or at around 7:30 if my left arm feels tight.
It depends on a number of things for me. What are the driving conditions (traffic, roadway, etc.), how long am I going to be driving and is it open highway or a mix. For most situations, I use the 10 and 2 position. When on a trip, I will alternate between that hold and a 7/8 hold with my left hand, leaving my right arm to rest on a prop on the arm rest. By prop, I mean a faux leather "pillow" about 10" x 8" x 4" deep. For long trips, this "pillow" sits on my driver's side arm rest to support my left arm.

I've driven some cars which are damned hard to find a good and comfortable position with everything (you, the controls, and the wheel). With the TL, it's a good thing it has memory positioning.