Location (State/Prov):

Just bought a 2.2.... a little worried, please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 07:16 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a 2.2.... a little worried, please help

Hey guys,

I just bought a 97 2.2 CL, Automatic with 80,000 on it.
Ok, I know the transmissions are supposed to shift harshly on Hondas, but after test driving a 97 Accord EX 4 cyl. to compare to the CL I just bought, I noticed that my tranny shifts about twice or even 3 times as harsh in all the gears on my CL. Also, when I put the shifter into Drive, and give it gas, it takes a second for the gears to engage after I give it gas, (takes long enough to make me worry a bit) but I know one thing, it does not slip in any gear. Are all 97 CL's like this? Are these transmission known to go?
I'm about to change the fluid, drain and fill is 2.75 quarts???

My biggest concern is the ticking noise from the motor. I hear it from the top (valves?) on the passenger side and it's louder than the 97 Accord that I checked out for comparison. Any known problems with this motor or will a simple valve adjustment take care of this? If I wait a 6 months to a year until I get the valves adjusted, will this cause any damage to them?

Besides that, I love the car. It looks great, handling is awesome, and all the luxury features for a very very good price.
Thanks
Old 08-02-2002, 07:22 PM
Turn Signals are good!

Congrats on your purchase... Ive noticed some 4 cylinder auto trannys are different than others, even in the same model honda. You may want to check the fluid though. I'm not sure if anything is wrong with it, you may want to take it to a Honda or Acura dealer and have them test drive it.

The ticking noise is the valves, Honda valves tend to be a little noisy, but if its more noticable than the Accord, you may want to have them adjusted.

You may want to check out the "First Gen" section, thats where you'll find anything and everything to know about your first generation CL. Also, be sure to make good use of the "search" function... you'll be amazed what you can come up with.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:16 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for the info,
I thought I did post this in the first generation section, oh well I guess I messed up,
Thanks again.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:44 PM
Turn Signals are good!

Originally posted by gs79
Thanks for the info,
I thought I did post this in the first generation section, oh well I guess I messed up,
Thanks again.
hey, not a big deal to me... I thought maybe you didnt see that section or something. This'll probably get moved anyway by the moderators.