Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Color:

Location (State/Prov):

iRotors Groupbuy...is anyone interested?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iRotors Groupbuy...is anyone interested?

Hey guys,

I spoke to iRotors, and showed some interest in becoming a distributor for them here in Canada. Now they stated to me that if I purchase 5 or more sets of rotors from them, I will be eligable for a good discount. So I'm wondering if anyone here is interested in purchasing these rotors for their TL. The info is as follows

Application for these rotors are for 99-03TL's. I also have the capability of purchasing rotors for the First Gen TL's. These rotors have nothing but a good reputation for not warping, and are fantastic for spirited street/track driving. They come Cross drilled and slotted, and will dissapate heat ten times better then the crappy Acura stock rotors.

Price is 250 USD + Shipping (I will try to work something out for you guys on shipping), and keep in mind that this price includes having all FOUR rotors zinc plated to prevent rust from accumulating on the rotors. The price on their website is 259 USD w/o zinc plating, Zinc plating is 25 dollars for a pair. So do the math, you save 59 USD if you go through this group buy.

I am also capable of getting CL rotors for people that are interested. I'm going to be the middle man in this deal, so any questions, concerns or purchases should go through me if you would like to take advantage of the group buy price.

Keep in mind that this price includes all FOUR rotors, and zinc plating for all of them.

You can contact me via PM, or email me at j e f f dot s e t t o n at rogers dot com

sorry for the spaces, I don't want anymore spam on my email...

Thanks
Old 04-15-2004, 04:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sc354
So do the math, you save 59 USD if you go through this group buy.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33564

Buy-it-now price of $249USD Including the "free" zinc.
(This is direct from irotors.com through ebay)
Old 04-15-2004, 09:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mlatter
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33564

Buy-it-now price of $249USD Including the "free" zinc.
(This is direct from irotors.com through ebay)
I asked the woman in charge about that very post earlier today, and she stated that the price on Ebay is incorrect. The price is in fact 259 USD which includes zinc plating, however there is a monsterous shipping fee on these rotors as they weigh 65 lbs. for all FOUR rotors. Due to us having a group buy, and me negotiating with her, I was able to get her to take a hit on the shipping as there will be more than 5 orders.

Here is the new info as follows.

The price for these rotors including shipping is 295 USD. Keep in mind that this price includes shipping to Anywhere in Canada. The cost with shipping to the US is somewhere in the range of 275 USD.

If you contact iRotors, you will be told that shipping is 75 USD to Canada, which is the price for anyone else. The woman seemed to like me on the phone, so she made us a really good deal on shipping, and that is 45 USD instead of 75 USD.

As more orders come in, the more money we will be able to take off the cost for the rotors.

Please don't refer back again to ebay, as their price is wrong, and you must take into account the shipping fee to Canada.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:33 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry, just reporting what I found on eBay.

Anyway, it does sound like a good deal. I'm going in to the dealer for a service soon and I'm going to get them to check my warped front rotors, yet again, and see if they're still covered under warranty. (Replaced, turned, turned already...). If they're not covered, then I'll want in on the deal.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mlatter
Sorry, just reporting what I found on eBay.

Anyway, it does sound like a good deal. I'm going in to the dealer for a service soon and I'm going to get them to check my warped front rotors, yet again, and see if they're still covered under warranty. (Replaced, turned, turned already...). If they're not covered, then I'll want in on the deal.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
No problem. Even though my rotors are under warranty, I decided to go ahead and get myself a pair as well. I got sick and tired of listening to Acura bitch everytime I need my rotors replaced/turned.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
So, is there any warranty on this? What if they did crack? What happens then?
Old 04-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

I will work something out with the woman at iRotors. What do you guys think that a decent warranty would be??? I would hope that you keep our "TL" name a good one. One thing I should mention is being careful with your rotors. I'm sure you have all done this before, I know that I'm a victim of this too, and that is washing your car just after you drove it. A few times it slips my mind, and of course the first thing that my pressure washer hits is the damn rotors. Everytime I see a puff of smoke come out, and directly follows a curse out of my mouth...something in the range of "fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkk". I always forget to let the rotors cool off. In any event, be careful with these rotors. If you beat on them, that's fine, but allow a good 1/2 - 1 hour of cool down for them before using/washing the car.

Anyways, i would assume the warranty covers against cracking, and warping, but I will confirm this tomorrow afternoon and post info once I find out.

Take care guyz, I'm heading to bed for the night.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:28 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool. If you can find out the exact details of the warranty, that'd be great.

And I hear ya on the car wash issue. Although I've never done that, it's good to be careful.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Jeff, how many times have they turned your A-Spec rotors?

Just put my 17s back on today. It took me all day 'coz I painted my calipers and rotors (cast aluminum calipers, gloss black rotor caps and edges VHT using paint brush). These OEM rotors don't look good at all.

As for the pads to be used for the rotoras, do they specify a specific kind?
Old 04-16-2004, 07:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well here's the history on my car so far. Keep in mind that I have 29500 km on there right now.

#1- All FOUR rotors were machines at 7700km
#2- Front rotors replaced at 15000km
#3- Front brakes machined at 24000km (and at this time, they stated that I had 30% pad life left).
#4- TBD

My brakes as of now seem to be holding up, but I know that just one hard race on them will let them loose, and totally warp them. I did race a celica, in which of course I killed him, but I had to make a quick stop from 150, and damn was my wheel ever shaking. Luckily I was near my house, so I simply drove slowly home without using the brakes, and let the car sit for 2 hours. I think that by doing this, I prevented the brakes from warping completely. They seem to be ok now.

But only time will tell...Let's not forget, this is still a TL with stock brakes!!!
Old 04-16-2004, 08:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Looks to me that the OEM rotors are merely Accord rotors not exactly meant for the weight and performance of the car. For grandpas daily driving, it's probably OK, but for us a rotor upgrade is a must.

The car has so much power I make 140-150 kph just to the next lights (when killing pesky ricers). It needs something better than OEM to stop it.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vicman17
Looks to me that the OEM rotors are merely Accord rotors not exactly meant for the weight and performance of the car. For grandpas daily driving, it's probably OK, but for us a rotor upgrade is a must.

The car has so much power I make 140-150 kph just to the next lights (when killing pesky ricers). It needs something better than OEM to stop it.
So I take that you're in for this groupbuy??? OEM rotors just can't handle our "spirited" driving needs. The only reason that my rotors aren't warped yet, is cause I've taken precautious measures to keep them from warping, but I don't plan on doing this for much longer.

So Vicman you in, or are you in??? hahaha, j/k

lemme know...

later
Old 04-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

IRotors

I'll let you know Jeff, when I'm ready. You'll definitely hear from me... :devil:
Old 04-16-2004, 02:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

how many ppl are in the GB now?
Old 04-16-2004, 03:24 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
sc354 :

Are these specific rotors only available in the States? I'm from Canada too and am wondering if they are available to order from a place here... Might see if i can match or beat the price and would save shipping. Also, will there be any additional charge/customs once the package crosses the border, or will the *final* price be the price you've listed? Besides the fact that these are cross-drilled, etc. --- what makes this particular brand a good brand (as opposed to comparible ones)? At what point does the price go down? It seems like there are quite a few interested in ordering.... Depending on your info - I might be up for it... Is there a deadline?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
sc354 :

Are these specific rotors only available in the States? I'm from Canada too and am wondering if they are available to order from a place here... Might see if i can match or beat the price and would save shipping. Also, will there be any additional charge/customs once the package crosses the border, or will the *final* price be the price you've listed? Besides the fact that these are cross-drilled, etc. --- what makes this particular brand a good brand (as opposed to comparible ones)? At what point does the price go down? It seems like there are quite a few interested in ordering.... Depending on your info - I might be up for it... Is there a deadline?

Thanks in advance!
I spoke to the woman at iRotors, and she stated to me that they have no distributors based here in Canada, so no you will not find a place to get these at a cheaper cost. The woman is giving us 15% off the price that she sells it for on ebay, so I don't think you will beat that price.

What makes these rotors superior to the stock rotors is their thickness, rigidity, and less prone to warping. They are also cross-drilled/slotted which dissapates the heat a lot better vs. our stock rotor which traps the gases in between the pad and the rotor, which essentially creates a warp in the rotor.

I'm definitely getting these rotors whether there's a groupbuy or not. Hopefully we will have enough people that buy these, so that the group buy will go through.

As of now, Steve you're the only definite person who has given me the go ahead with the rotors. I'm a little disappointed at the guys on the forum, simply because I know a lot of them have issues with warping, and yet they still want to waste their time with the acura rotors, when it is inevitable...they are bound to warp, whether you drive like a grandmother or an F1 driver. Come on guys, you will thank me once you feel the difference, and see how long they last. I'm a reputable member on this forum, and I'm only out to help you guys fix this warping problem once and for all...I'm getting nothing out of this, but a set of rotors at a reduced cost like all of you guys.

Take care...
Old 04-16-2004, 07:08 PM

I totally appreciate all of the work you have put into trying to get us a good deal on rotors! Don't get me wrong! And I am quite interested! I understand what the difference is between stock rotors and cross-drilled, what I was wondering what why you chose this specific brand to order from the States - are they any better than anything we can get here in Canada? Also, I'm not clear - are there any additional duty fees on these once they cross the border, or will the charges be exactly what you have listed - final. ? Thanks again.. much appreciated!!
Old 04-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Instructor

I am in for this group buy too. Also my friend from ClubEl is organizing meeting on April 24 at D&B and u all welcome. We can discuss on how we gonna pay or give money to you for rotors sets.....it gonna be all acura cars there ..I hope more than 60 cars show up
Old 04-16-2004, 08:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
I totally appreciate all of the work you have put into trying to get us a good deal on rotors! Don't get me wrong! And I am quite interested! I understand what the difference is between stock rotors and cross-drilled, what I was wondering what why you chose this specific brand to order from the States - are they any better than anything we can get here in Canada? Also, I'm not clear - are there any additional duty fees on these once they cross the border, or will the charges be exactly what you have listed - final. ? Thanks again.. much appreciated!!
These rotors are simply of high quality, and are very cost effective if you are looking to prevent your rotors from warping. The reason I chose these rotors over something else is simply because they have a combo deal which includes the front/rear rotors and they are all zinc plated. Just to give you an example, Tirerack sells the brembo cross-drilled rotors for 242, and that is just for the front set. In this group buy, for an extra 8 bux, you get the rears, and the rotors are also slotted. As well, I have heard that brembo's do tend to rust rather quickly, which you have protection against if you go with iRotors due to them being zinc plated.

As for the duty fees, I will speak with the woman at iRotors on monday, but as of now I will let her know on your behalf that you are a little bit weiry about ordering simply due to the duty fees that you may encounter. What she may be able to do for us is label the rotors as a warranty/repair, which will allow the rotors to cross the border without encountering duty fees. If she does it this way, they will not be suspicious to open the package and check, they will just let it go through, no questions asked.

I too will want to know how to avoid brokerage fees as I don't want a fat bill on my door step 2 months after installing the rotors. Most likely she will be able to do this for us. As for the guyz in the US...well you all suck!!! j/k...you guys are so lucky that you don't get nailed with brokerage fees, and on top of which you save on the shipping.

If you guys need anymore info, let me know
Old 04-16-2004, 08:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ok so right now here's who I think we have...

1) Tatewaki
2) Toby_TL
3) Street Spirit (maybe)
4) Vicman17 (maybe)
5) Pure Adrenaline???

anyone else???
Old 04-16-2004, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i would be in but i had to order them like pronto, the crack in my rotors is no longer just a hairline surface crack, its all the way through :rocketwho
Old 04-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Ah damn it!...

I just bought my rotors... from IRotors about a month ago. Wish this was going on then...

Oh well...

As a plug for IRotors this is my second set from them. The first set I bought from them, a year ago for my Eclipse GT. These rotors really work well.

I can feel a difference in my TLS' braking ability. Espcially since I also did the car's shocks shortly after ward, to inprove the handling of the ride. The damn thing feels like it's going 50MPH when I'm really doing 100MPH....

So, being able to stop well is doubly important now.

IRotors....
Old 04-17-2004, 12:12 AM
Racer

i'm still in only if they don't crack easily. I don't know much about it, but will they crack if i my car to one of those car washes at the gas stations? Like the spray water and stuff all over the place including the wheels. And of course i need to drive to the gas station! Well not that i do that to my TL right now, but what if i do get lazy in the future? I just want to know if they will mess up if i bring it to a car wash machine. I am a maybe depending on how easy they crack.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2004, 01:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well my presumption is that the rotors will only crack under heavy heavy stress, and then you would literally have to spray the rotors with gallons and gallons of water. I mean if you're out to crack the rotors, then I'm sure we can all find a good method to totally fuck them up. But if you're smart with them, and don't actually intend on cracking them, then I don't think it's possible. To crack them you would literally have to drive at 140 MPH and stomp on the brake. In the case of you driving to the gas station and getting a car wash, it will definitely not warrant cracking, unless of course you just autocross raced on a track. The fact is, these rotors function at much cooler temperatures, and them being cross-drilled/slotted eliminates that warping sensation since under most situations, you won't be able to heat them up that quickly.

I must say how embarassed I was with my stock garbage rotors tonight. I did a few laps around a country road, doing about 140-160km/h, and at one point I had to make a fairly quick stop (nothing any other car couldn't do). This was the first time I stomped on the brake near those speeds, and not only did my wheel violently shake, I heard a "woo woo woo woo" sound coming from the front rotors. My cousin was like "what the hell is that" and I was like "welcome to the wonderful world of acura warping"...

he laughed uncontrollably...

I fucking hate these brakes, and once I get them off, I'm taking a fucking sledge hammer to the rotors, just to ensure I never ever ever go back to them.

ok so the list now would sit at:

1) Tatewaki
2) Toby_TL
3) Street Spirit (maybe)
4) Vicman17 (maybe)
5) Pure Adrenaline???
6) TLSAnthracite

I need to know from Street spirit, Vicman17, and Pure Adrenaline whether you guys are in or not. Once I reach about 6-7 people, i will collect the shipping info and payment from you guys via paypal. If you guys don't have paypal, and happen to be in Toronto like me, we can arrange to meet up somewhere, and you can pay me cash...

no worries, I'm not gonna run with your money. If it makes you feel better, i will let you photocopy my driver's license which has all my personal info on it (address and shit).

Tatewaki and fsttyms1 (steve and kris), can vouch for me...I'm not about to give my name a bad rap on this forum over a couple hundred bux...besides I do drive an a-spec!!!

later guyz.
Old 04-17-2004, 01:08 AM
Racer

btw i'm still a maybe... need to procasinate as long as i can... haven't done enoguh hw on this yet... sorry... but i'm like a 85% maybe buyer...
Old 04-17-2004, 01:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TLSAnthracite
btw i'm still a maybe... need to procasinate as long as i can... haven't done enoguh hw on this yet... sorry... but i'm like a 85% maybe buyer...
no problem. All I can say is do your research, and see the comments that some of the members on this forum left on this post. ngcreese seems to like these rotors, as he just purchased his second pair for his TL.

Let me know asap, I wanna wrap this thing up as quick as possible, I'm a little anxious to get my new rotors too!!!
Old 04-17-2004, 09:50 AM
@ slide or die @

a question, how good are this rotors/pads compared to our stock and the AEM wich are close in price? How easy the is the installation?
Old 04-17-2004, 10:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i'm still in only if they don't crack easily. I don't know much about it, but will they crack if i my car to one of those car washes at the gas stations? Like the spray water and stuff all over the place including the wheels. And of course i need to drive to the gas station! Well not that i do that to my TL right now, but what if i do get lazy in the future? I just want to know if they will mess up if i bring it to a car wash machine. I am a maybe depending on how easy they crack.

Thanks
water isnt what is the problem for crossdrilled cracking (unless you go out and beat the living hell out of the rotors till there glowing red and then spray water on them) its acouple things, poor quality, age/stress on the metal, and by drilling(if the rotor wasnt designed to be crossdrilled) the holes weaken the metal. of course that doesnt mean it wont/cant happen to these (i have had a brembo big brake kit that the rotors cracked on a different car of mine once) cracking usually goes with age
the rotors sound like they are good after talkiing to a guy from irotors myself, that and alot of maxima owers (frind has one and he said alot of maxima guys have had them with out problems)
Old 04-17-2004, 10:59 AM

Wow - these are even cheaper!

Just checked on prices for OEM rotors from Acura to see how much more expensive these iRotors would be (I figured better performance would cost a whole lot more!) Well, in CAD, the dealer quoted me $110/ea for front rotors and $104.10/ea for rear rotors! Including our hefty taxes here in Ontario, the total would be around $432.00 for all four OEM rotors. I then calculated that $295 USD (if there aren't any other charges!) will be around $397.00 CAD for the iRotors! Wow...I thought it'd be the other way around!!!
Old 04-17-2004, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Yes I hope you getting more ppl and wrap this up so we all can get our item . Anyway should I pay you via paypal or we can meet somewhere ,Im GTA T.O area or we can meet up when theres a meeting on April 24 at D&B....Shout me back Thankz
Old 04-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Racer

does these make excessive noise though? And which brake pads do i need when i switch to these? i'm pretty sure the stock one has gotta go if i chage the rotors. thanks
Old 04-17-2004, 01:59 PM

New Pads

Is there a group-buy on good new pads for whoever gets the iRotors?
Old 04-17-2004, 02:54 PM
Banned

will these fit on a 01cls? if so u should post a thread on the cl website
Old 04-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

does these make excessive noise though? And which brake pads do i need when i switch to these? i'm pretty sure the stock one has gotta go if i chage the rotors. thanks
There should not be an increase in noise with the new rotors, unless of course you slam on the brakes. The only increase in noise that I would assume might be encountered, is the extra "bite" that you will experience if you throw on a good set of pads like the EBC greenstuff, or axxis metal master pads.

Unfortunately there is no groupbuy for pads. I tried looking, but not many places offer groupbuys on brake pads. You can always order from tirerack, besides their prices are very reasonable, so you would barely be saving any money if we could in fact setup the group buy.

BTW can everyone who is DEFINITELY in for this groupbuy, please PM me asap so I have a good estimate as too who will be ordering. Those who are unsure, once you have done your research and made up your mind, please let me know via PM also
Old 04-17-2004, 07:13 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
I just purchased the Rotora slotted rotors. I got them at Steet Beat Customs.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/rot...-cl-tl-rl.html

Total cost for front and back was $302 with free shipping. I decided on the Rotora rotors after reading some posts about the Irotors rusting after a short period of time even with the zinc coating. Mr. Hyde posted about this on one of the other Acura boards doing a group buy last year. From my reading on some of the Acura boards seems the Rotora rotors are a better quality than the Irotors. I don't have any first hand experience with either.

I also purchased the Axxis Deluxe brake pads from Brakewarehouse.com for $67. They are rated better than the Metal Masters with less dusting and more rotor friendly.

I need new tires for my '02 TL-S in about 5000 miles and I am going to replace the OEM tires with 225/50 17 Michelin Pilot A/S and replace the brakes and rotors at the same tire. Should help the braking and handling.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

That's a pretty good deal, however all I have heard about the rotora rotors are poor comments. I heard that they overheat just about as quickly as our stock rotors, and they have a lot of issues with them, which is why the moderators removed the groupbuy for them from their site. They were creating too many issues.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:46 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
The group buy was ended due to a supply issue not a quality issue. I have been reading the boards for over 3 years and I have not seen a negative review on the Rotora rotors. If you could point us to the negative reviews, I would like to read.

Guys you may want to do a little more research on rotors before making your purchase.

check out this link for some useful information.
http://www.a-c-u-r-aworld.com/forums...ghlight=rotora

Take the dashs out of acura. I have been researching rotors for about 6 months before deciding on the Rotora rotors.

I looked at the Raceconcepts (Irotors), Brembo, Rotora and all the cheap rotors on Ebay. Based on what I have read, Rotora has the better quality product at a good price.

I decided on the slotted, and stayed away from the drilled rotors as they tend to crack and actually increase stopping distance as there is less surface area.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:56 PM
Advanced

hey ive bought rotors from IROTORS b4 and they held up on their end... i stopped instantly when i barely tapped on the brakes
Old 04-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dj5
The group buy was ended due to a supply issue not a quality issue. I have been reading the boards for over 3 years and I have not seen a negative review on the Rotora rotors. If you could point us to the negative reviews, I would like to read.

Guys you may want to do a little more research on rotors before making your purchase.

check out this link for some useful information.
http://www.a-c-u-r-aworld.com/forums...ghlight=rotora

Take the dashs out of acura. I have been researching rotors for about 6 months before deciding on the Rotora rotors.

I looked at the Raceconcepts (Irotors), Brembo, Rotora and all the cheap rotors on Ebay. Based on what I have read, Rotora has the better quality product at a good price.

I decided on the slotted, and stayed away from the drilled rotors as they tend to crack and actually increase stopping distance as there is less surface area.
Dude, let people make their own decisions for themselves. If you want to be biased, then by all means, post this in the off-topic section, since most people here know that I'm not the type to screw them over. If I thought that the irotors sucked, then I wouldn't have started a groupbuy, right? I'm gonna be putting these on my car, and I'm always skeptical as too what goes on, and what stays off my ride. If I'm putting the irotors on, there's a reason for it, and that is I feel that for the price, you will not get anything near the performance of the irotors. The Rotora I heard got terrible ratings. On top of which, these are TRUE cross drilled rotors. They're not standard blank rotors that have actual holes embedded into them to be called "cross drilled". These slots and holes are actually manufactured with the rotors, and therefore they are no a susceptible to cracking.

One thing I can say is that kris (fsttyms1), generally does extensive research on anything he buys, and after I told him about the price of the irotors, he did his research, and 48 hours later was a proud owner of new irotors.

There's a reason why these rotors have a good name, and that is because they are known in the industry to hold up to a lot of abuse.

Please stop posting negative things about irotors, cause I find it hard to believe that you did 6 months of research. You haven't even used the rotora rotors yet, so who's to say you will like them? Post your review once you have first hand experience with them (being an owner/driver of a pair) but until then, keep your negative feedback about the irotors to yourself.

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by innovation704
hey ive bought rotors from IROTORS b4 and they held up on their end... i stopped instantly when i barely tapped on the brakes

another proud owner of the irotors...anyone else???

History shows that irotors hold up their end of the bargain, and provide exceptional braking under nearly all conditions...

I think you guys will be happy with the results.

Quick Reply: iRotors Groupbuy...is anyone interested?