FS on Ebay: JDM Honda Accord Euro-R OEM Gunmetal Wheels & Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004 | 08:30 AM
! deadmau5 !

FS on Ebay: JDM Honda Accord Euro-R OEM Gunmetal Wheels & Tires

This Ebay auction from a guy in CT ends Sunday:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll...tem=7905353526

"Tires are OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050 215/45 R-17 87W"

For the price he's asking, $600 for this rubber and ~$400 for JDM rims is incredible.

My wife's still holding out for 3-spoke white rims (like a discontinued Volk design) on our PWP, and I can't convince her that this is a practical deal. (She also doesn't know about Potenzas vs. the Michelins. :-(
Old 06-18-2004 | 08:54 AM

thats the starting bid price...

hasnt this guy been trying to sell these for awhile? looks like a repost
Old 06-18-2004 | 08:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

damn I love those rims. But that is too much $$$. Buy it now is $1,499 so you know he won't go lower.
Old 06-18-2004 | 09:16 AM
! deadmau5 !

Originally Posted by domn
damn I love those rims. But that is too much $$$. Buy it now is $1,499 so you know he won't go lower.
I've emailed back and forth with him, "rextudio", a couple times. He'll told me he'd take $1100 if I picked them up.

(I was all set to drive up to CT Monday night and toss 'em in the back of my Yukon. But the person who drives the car -- Mrs. G. -- does not care for the look of these rims.)

-- And she doesn't know anything about the rubber, and I'm afraid to tell her, because then she'll never be happy with her Michelins. :-)
Old 06-18-2004 | 09:38 AM
! deadmau5 !

Domn, you have anything else I could mount this rubber on? (If all you want is the rims.) If I could show her something she might like, we can work out a deal with this guy.

(And, seriously, I'm always trying to find an excuse to drive up to T-O.)
Old 06-20-2004 | 02:38 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

i just bought the wheels from rextudio... im going to go pick them up next week =)
Old 06-20-2004 | 06:41 PM
! deadmau5 !

Terrific!

It was too good to pass up, really. But my wife just didn't like the looks of the rims. So it was going to be a hard situation if I went ahead and got them.

At least by doing it outside of Ebay, Rex and you save the ~5% fee.

Promise to post a picture!

/JJG
Old 06-20-2004 | 07:25 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

yeah im so excited about it!! i really hate going through ebay if i have to. i will definitely post before and after pictures for you guys =)
Old 06-24-2004 | 09:29 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

im picking up the wheels and tires next wednesday!! question for everyone: this is my first aftermarket tire purchase ever. since the wheels/rims already have the tires on them, do i need to get them balanced? after i mount them is there anything else to do? anything else i should know?? thanks!!
Old 06-24-2004 | 09:50 PM
cmf
ATCer

It might not hurt to check the balancing on them, especially since you don't know what the original owner did with them. Aside from that, can't think of anything you need to do except drive on em!
Old 06-24-2004 | 09:53 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

hmm... should i try driving on them first then? how would i even tell if they were 'unbalanced.' the day after i get them i actually have scheduled service at acura... i could have them balance the tires. how much do you think they would charge?
Old 06-24-2004 | 09:53 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

oh... and THANKS for the response =)
Old 06-24-2004 | 10:06 PM
cmf
ATCer

Don't know how it would feel if the were unbalanced. I think it is harder to tell with tires/ wheels that are around the same size as stock. Acura will charge you more than anyone else to get a balancing done. I would think around 40-50 bucks for a lifetime balancing and rotation at a reputable shop.
Old 06-24-2004 | 10:55 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

hmm i like those too, maybe i should pick up those wheels too.
Old 06-24-2004 | 11:10 PM
! deadmau5 !

Originally Posted by zazen721
im picking up the wheels and tires next wednesday!! question for everyone: this is my first aftermarket tire purchase ever. since the wheels/rims already have the tires on them, do i need to get them balanced? after i mount them is there anything else to do? anything else i should know?? thanks!!
DEFINITELY put them on your car this week. They're "summer tires". You'll know from the feel whether you need balancing or not. (It might be worth your time to learn how to torque the rims on yourself, if you have a couple extra hours.)

The guy selling them said they came off an '04. So the age of the rubber should not be a problem at all -- probably no more than 18 months. Go to a good tire place and find out from them (or you can find out on the web with some research) how to tell the year and week of tire manufacture. Obviously, all 4 s/b the same.

The warranty is not an issue, but it's worth it to you to find out whether and how much coverage you have. You'll want signed paperwork from the guy who's selling them to you, not that you'll probably ever show it to anyone else. And he probably has a tire booklet with his owners' manual. (When a new car needs tire adjustments, they base the pricing on useable tread life. But that's usually done at a tire place, like a TireRack dealer, not at the Acura dealer.)

... and ROLL, baby! Good luck!
Old 06-25-2004 | 02:52 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

Originally Posted by cmf
Don't know how it would feel if the were unbalanced. I think it is harder to tell with tires/ wheels that are around the same size as stock. Acura will charge you more than anyone else to get a balancing done. I would think around 40-50 bucks for a lifetime balancing and rotation at a reputable shop.
hmm okay ill keep that in mind... thanks!
Old 06-25-2004 | 02:55 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

Originally Posted by jginnane
DEFINITELY put them on your car this week. They're "summer tires". You'll know from the feel whether you need balancing or not. (It might be worth your time to learn how to torque the rims on yourself, if you have a couple extra hours.)

The guy selling them said they came off an '04. So the age of the rubber should not be a problem at all -- probably no more than 18 months. Go to a good tire place and find out from them (or you can find out on the web with some research) how to tell the year and week of tire manufacture. Obviously, all 4 s/b the same.

The warranty is not an issue, but it's worth it to you to find out whether and how much coverage you have. You'll want signed paperwork from the guy who's selling them to you, not that you'll probably ever show it to anyone else. And he probably has a tire booklet with his owners' manual. (When a new car needs tire adjustments, they base the pricing on useable tread life. But that's usually done at a tire place, like a TireRack dealer, not at the Acura dealer.)

... and ROLL, baby! Good luck!
im putting them on ASAP!! he says he only has about 60 miles on the tires so they should be in great shape. thats a great idea about finding out how much coverage i have on the tires... i dont think i ever would have thought to do that as simple as it sounds.

thank you SO much for your advice!!
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

dude domokun rox
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:17 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

Originally Posted by accsuperstar
dude domokun rox
oh yeah!!!
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:27 PM
I'm allergic to bull

Remember to post pics!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by HelicobactEr Pylori
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:45 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I'm now jealous. zazen721 has the nicest rims on the site.
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:49 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

jginnane, just saw your posts today, sorry.

I really wasn't interested in getting them now anyway. Spending too much $$ in other places. But I think these will be the rims I want if and when I get rims.

Then again cmf's rims are to die for.

Lets see some pics !!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2004 | 07:32 PM
UK Spec

for some reason
that car looks better than mine (not say it shoudn't!)

but ur black looks so much better than mine
Old 06-25-2004 | 08:19 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

Originally Posted by HelicobactEr Pylori
i promise i will!!
Old 06-25-2004 | 08:20 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

I'm now jealous. zazen721 has the nicest rims on the site.
lol i dunno about that :P ill post the pics as soon as i mount them!
Old 06-25-2004 | 09:27 PM
! deadmau5 !

jginnane, just saw your posts today, sorry.
Funny thing happens on this site... it seems every now and then a post seems to disappear. (Probably because there's so much other stuff going on. It's a nice, active group.)

I really wasn't interested in getting them now anyway. Spending too much $$ in other places. But I think these will be the rims I want if and when I get rims.
I constantly have to remind myself everytime I see something I like that the aftermarket hasn't caught up with this model yet. My VIN# from February was only 22,000 for the North American market --- when there's 100,000 on the road, we're going to have a lot more possibilities.

Then again cmf's rims are to die for.
What ever happened to colored tires? I heard about them 3-4 years ago and they were supposedly legal in Europe. Yellow rubber, "rose gold" rims ... NOW we're talking rice.
Old 06-30-2004 | 11:13 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

i mounted my tires thsi evening!!! by the time we were done it was dark out so i didnt get any pictures...

the tires are SOOOO much better than the crap michelin pilots mcm4's that come stock...

pictures tomorrow =)
Old 07-01-2004 | 01:06 AM
! deadmau5 !

i mounted my tires thsi evening!!! by the time we were done it was dark out so i didnt get any pictures...
Good, very good... I have a semi-proprietary interest in these. :-)

Seriously for a moment -- did you use a torque wrench, and alternate the bolt patterns across the 5-point star? It really can make a difference.

the tires are SOOOO much better than the crap michelin pilots mcm4's that come stock...pictures tomorrow =)
Well, Potenzas are "sticky" giving you much better dry road traction at the price of some wear and not being so good in rain + snow -- which is what "all-weather" is for. You probably want to take this rubber off no later than October (for Connecticut) and then use your OEM rims 'n' rubber through April.

If you do a thousand miles a month, these could last 3 years (and the Michelins maybe 4) ... the nice part is that when you're swapping rubber, that's probably the interval when you'd be normally rotating the tires anyhow.

Final though, but this is important -- I believe Potenzas have a "directional" tread. What this means is that when you do that seasonal swap - slash - rotation, you may have to mount/demount the rubber on the rims. IOW, left-side rubber can go on the right side rims, but you still have to have the original direction of the tread facing forward. So what was formerly the "inside wall" of the tire when it was on the left side is now the outside wall on the right. (You'll put crayon or chalk on the rubber as you take them off to make sure the change doesn't get screwed up.)

And when you get tired of these rims (if ever) you might be able to sell them for more than you paid!
Old 07-01-2004 | 09:03 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

jginnane: thank you SO much for that great info. lol whats your semi-proprietary interest in these? i just used the same tools as i would have to swap the tires but i definitely did the 5 point star when tightening the wheels.

i havent been able to test out the tires in the rain yet but we are supposed to get some pretty crazy rain tonight/tomorrow. rex, the guy who sold me the wheels, pointed out the directional tread. i dont think i would have noticed if he hadnt pointed it out!
Old 07-01-2004 | 09:05 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

PICTURES!!! unfortunately there is an even larger gap now between the wheels and the wheel well. im looking to getting the car lowered by about an inch and half... tell me what you think though besides the gap!

Old 07-01-2004 | 10:58 PM
! deadmau5 !

jginnane: thank you SO much for that great info. lol whats your semi-proprietary interest in these?
Found it on Ebay first, and chatted rex up. Told him I'd probably put in a bid before the end of the auction. THEN a couple days later, the rims didn't come up on Ebay, and I realized I'd searched this time on ACURA + TSX. It only showed on "TSX".

I told Rex (1) fix his header, so people could find it, and (2) he should let people know they were available _here_.

When he didn't post anything, I started this thread. I was still debating getting them, even though the wiffey preferred something else in the way of looks... if they hadn't gone, I very likely would've gotten them. (t the end of the Ebay auction, I knew that if he had any bids at the minimum, he'd owe a $50 commission to Ebay, so I held off on that part.)

... used the same tools as i would have to swap the tires but i definitely did the 5 point star when tightening the wheels.
Ah, I didn't hear the word "torque". You really want to use a torque wrench to have an even tightness across the pattern. Some rims it's not as critical as others, but why take a chance? (An $80 torque wrench will last a lifetime, or for that matter, a $10 used torque wrench you pick up at a flea market has the additional advantage of not needing its delicate chroming to be protected.

rex, the guy who sold me the wheels, pointed out the directional tread. i dont think i would have noticed if he hadnt pointed it out!
Although these will wear faster than the Michelins, they're more along the lines of "precision instruments" -- the rubber will feel different. And you'll definitely notice when you change back in the fall.

But, sadly, you're probably going to have to go to TSX* now and christen the baby with moose piss, err, Molsen's, this summer.

* Toronto Stock Exchange, to pose for pictures, naturally. Or didn't you notice this whole place is lousy with Canadians, eh?
Old 07-26-2004 | 07:00 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

lol i just read your post now... i missed it. i have been having so much fun with my car since i bought the new wheels. i recently had the eibach pro kit installed as well so i dont look like im driving an SUV =)
Old 07-26-2004 | 07:11 PM
1-2-3-4-5-6-speeeeeed!!!!

lol i just read your post now... i missed it. i have been having so much fun with my car since i bought the new wheels. i recently had the eibach pro kit installed as well so i dont look like im driving an SUV =)

post some new pics of the setup, I would love to see how it looks!!
Old 07-26-2004 | 09:18 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

Originally Posted by CLASSYCLS
post some new pics of the setup, I would love to see how it looks!!

here you go

it was kinda cloudy out but you get the point!
Old 07-27-2004 | 09:47 PM
1-2-3-4-5-6-speeeeeed!!!!

If we get a meet going, try to come!! love to see it close up!!
Old 07-29-2004 | 08:55 AM
But officer!

I see that your wheel center caps are still the original Acuras. You may want to e-mail a guy on eBay who has custom touch-up paint for the Canadian RSX-type S wheels, and see if it matches the "Kaiser Silver" your Euro-R wheels are painted. If so, you could paint the center caps to match the wheels.

Just trying to be helpful,

John
Old 07-29-2004 | 12:09 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

Originally Posted by CLASSYCLS

If we get a meet going, try to come!! love to see it close up!!
im there! :P
Old 07-29-2004 | 12:11 PM
where'd my wheels go?!

Originally Posted by JD-TSX
I see that your wheel center caps are still the original Acuras. You may want to e-mail a guy on eBay who has custom touch-up paint for the Canadian RSX-type S wheels, and see if it matches the "Kaiser Silver" your Euro-R wheels are painted. If so, you could paint the center caps to match the wheels.

Just trying to be helpful,

John
thanks john =) no one can tell the color difference with the acura center caps unless they know to look for it. i might check it out to see how much it costs but right now its not a priority, you know? thanks so much!!