Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

Which tripod? pick one

Old 11-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Which tripod? pick one

My next purchase is going to be a tripod.

From spending a few hours on the net, these two stood out because of good reviews and a great price.

Please comment on which you think is a better product.

1. Sunpak 3300 PRO Tripod with Universal Ball Head

Description
The Sunpak 3300 PRO tripod, with its unique styling, offers the versatile capability both professionals and serious enthusiasts demand. As with all Sunpak Tripods, the 3300 PRO Tripod carries Sunpak's exclusive Lifetime Warranty

The Sunpak 3300 PRO tripod sets a high standard for all other lightweight tripods to match, in both performance and style. Manufactured from Tritanium, an alloy of Titanium, Magnesium and Aluminum substantially increases the overall strength-to-weight performance of the 3300 PRO. Able to support equipment weighing up to 11 lbs., the 3300 PRO is incredibly lightweight, at a mere 3 lbs. 4oz., while its dual groove leg design adds additional strength without adding any extra weight.

To meet the requirements of discerning photographers, the Sunpak 3300 PRO tripod provides a host of impressive fea-tures. With an operating height of 62.9", the Sunpak 3300 PRO tripod has three leg sections, with integral quick release lock levers, and features multi-angle leg adjust-ments for use on uneven terrain or for extreme low angle photography. With "grounder" capability, the Sunpak 3300 PRO can operate at a minimum height less than 11", without need for a short center column, and folds to a compact 23.2".

300 PRO is designed for use with conventional 35mm and medium format camera systems, video and digi-tal imaging equipment.

http://www.adorama.com/SU3300B.html?...64229553352340

2. Slik Sprint Pro Tripod - Gun Metal Black Finish - with Ball Head & Case

Description
SLIK designers carefully examined the trends in compact digital cameras and the needs of those owners then created a new tripod from the ground up. The SLIK SPRINT PRO has the features that are required of a full sized tripod, a maximum height of 64 inches reaches eye level yet the SPRINT PRO folds to an impressively compact 18.9 inches and weighs in at just 31.4 ounces (a fraction less than 2 pounds) for easy travel.

The emphasis on the SPRINT PRO is ease of use. Any tripod should be easy to use, so that more time is spent concentrating on the subject and enjoying photography, than stressing about the equipment. This tripod makes setting up simple and secure with fast, easy to use SLIK speed release leg locks, gearless center column for quick height adjustments, and 3 position adjustable angle legs for easy set up on uneven ground or steps.

The adjustable legs angles can also be used to lower the tripod. When used with the built-in short center column, (the included center column unscrews into two pieces) the camera is just 6.4 inches off the ground for extremely low angle or macro photography out in the field. Another way to get the camera low is to reverse the center column which could be used for macro photography or copy work.

SLIK even designed a new head for the SPRINT series. This ball head features a precision milled aluminum ball for smooth reliable camera movements. This head can easily handle a camera up to 3.5 pounds* in weight.

http://www.adorama.com/SLSPB.html

Thanks
Old 11-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
There isn't much difference between the two, so go with whatever color you like best.

Honestly, the lack of a quick release to be a deal breaker for me. It's a royal PITA to have to keep screwing the camera on and off the pod whenever you need it. A tripod is only good if you're going to use it, and for me, that would annoy me so much that I would leave it at home.

If you spent a little more money, you could get something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Or for a really solid and affordable setup, you could go for these legs: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
and this head: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

The main benefit of the last setup is that you can change heads down the road if/when you want. It gives you a little more flexibility for various setups.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:11 PM

Received 2,775 Likes on 1,978 Posts
damn didnt realize there was so much to tripods
Old 11-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
damn didnt realize there was so much to tripods
That's only scratching the surface.

A good everyday rig can easily run $800. A gimbal head and legs for long primes go for $1000 to $1500.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Have camera, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been happy with my Manfrotto 3001 Pro coupled with a Manfrotto 3265 pistol grip ballhead. Very sturdy, reasonably light, tall enough for a six-footer to use. It also sets up quickly. No trouble supporting my 20D 70-200 IS combo.

IMO, a tripod is the single best accessory you can get for your kit. Takes everything to the next level, especially in terms of composition..

Got the whole rig for around $200, which in the world of tripods is a damn bargain

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.