Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

Travel with your dlsr

Old 06-15-2010, 09:39 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Travel with your dlsr

how many of you travel with your dslr? I am going on vacation tonight to Minnesota and i am undecided as to bring the dslr or the simple point and shoot. We are going for a family wedding and the fiance wants me to bring the dslr for nice family pictures. We will be doing other things like visiting the zoo with the nephews, amusement parks and take a drive to mount Rushmore. I have a camera bag for all the equipment but i feel like it will be burden some to take everywhere we go. I dont think it would be bad if we were driving there but since we have to fly there i think it might be to much to lug around. So i want to know what how you guys felt when you had to take long flights and haul your dslr around on vacation?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I'd take it, even if only for Mt Rushmore
Old 06-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
I carry almost my entire kit any time I get on a plane. I left it at home once, and regretted it massively. But then, I am loco.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:59 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by wndrlst
I carry almost my entire kit any time I get on a plane. I left it at home once, and regretted it massively. But then, I am loco.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:18 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Originally Posted by MWalsh9152
I'd take it, even if only for Mt Rushmore
For this reason alone is what keeps me from leaving it at home.

I can see myself regretting bringing it.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:44 PM
all work and no play

the only hassle traveling with it will be carrying it on and off the plane
Old 06-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
If you aren't willing to bring your DSLR on a vacation - for a wedding, then just sell the damn thing. Seriously. Those are the situations you buy the SLR for. Buying an SLR is basically choosing photographs over convenience.

And I don't see the difference between driving somewhere and flying somewhere.
The only major difference is that You will chew up one of your 'personal items' as a camera bag. Otherwise you bring it onboard, throw it in the overhead compartment, and that's that. (and no, I wouldn't check it in).

If you buy yourself a good camera bag, then carrying your stuff around is not a big deal. A good camera bag distributes the weight.

I will admit, I don't bring as many lenses as I used to - just the standard 3 (ultra wide, normal zoom, long zoom), and the external flash.

- Frank
Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

the only hassle traveling with it will be carrying it on and off the plane
Why is that a hassle exactly? It's not like you unpack your gear on the plane. Carrying it on/off the plane shouldn't be any more annoying than carrying it for the rest of the trip. (and if it is, you need a new bag)

The only time it was really annoying was when I had my bag searched, and the security lady insisted on looking through every single lens. I mean, take each lens cap off, and look through it, to ... I don't know, make sure t wasn't filled with plastique I guess.

By the way, this happened both times I wore a leather jacket through the san francisco airport. You've officially been warned.

- Frank
Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
If you aren't willing to bring your DSLR on a vacation - for a wedding, then just sell the damn thing. Seriously. Those are the situations you buy the SLR for. Buying an SLR is basically choosing photographs over convenience.

And I don't see the difference between driving somewhere and flying somewhere.
The only major difference is that You will chew up one of your 'personal items' as a camera bag. Otherwise you bring it onboard, throw it in the overhead compartment, and that's that. (and no, I wouldn't check it in).

If you buy yourself a good camera bag, then carrying your stuff around is not a big deal. A good camera bag distributes the weight.

I will admit, I don't bring as many lenses as I used to - just the standard 3 (ultra wide, normal zoom, long zoom), and the external flash.

- Frank

Why is that a hassle exactly? It's not like you unpack your gear on the plane. Carrying it on/off the plane shouldn't be any more annoying than carrying it for the rest of the trip. (and if it is, you need a new bag)

The only time it was really annoying was when I had my bag searched, and the security lady insisted on looking through every single lens. I mean, take each lens cap off, and look through it, to ... I don't know, make sure t wasn't filled with plastique I guess.

By the way, this happened both times I wore a leather jacket through the san francisco airport. You've officially been warned.

- Frank
Good points and im sorry i didnt make it clear earlier but reasons for my concerns are, my fiance is asian and there are alot of asian snacks and things here in hawaii that her family cant get back in Minnesota. We have two rolling carry on full of requests from her family. Not only those but our back packs and now my camera bag. So it was more than just the camera bag that i guess i was overwhelmed with. I know once we get there ill be ok with it. I was just overwhelmed with other things that it felt like another burden. Plus we have a layover in phoenix which means unload and reload to another plane.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Pro

just bring your dslr...
Old 06-16-2010, 12:06 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
I see no reason why you shouldn't take it to a family vacation. How often does one from Hawaii get to see Mt. Rushmore? And, like wndrlst said, you'll probably regret not taking it.

If there is time you feel unsure with it, just lock it in the hotel safe.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:19 AM
1st TL-S on air in

Originally Posted by lightjak_tsx
just bring your dslr...
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
I see no reason why you shouldn't take it to a family vacation. How often does one from Hawaii get to see Mt. Rushmore? And, like wndrlst said, you'll probably regret not taking it.

If there is time you feel unsure with it, just lock it in the hotel safe.
Thanks guys for the quick responses. I am taking my camera
Old 06-16-2010, 01:15 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Take the camera and send the treats via UPS or FedEX. NOT USPS. They will infect your treats with the AIDS.

I sometimes travel with my DSLR and only the one lens that is attached.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:24 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,834 Likes on 2,576 Posts
Depends....Many times I do....but its also a reason why I want a micro 4/3s camera. Less to lug around.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:36 AM
all work and no play

- Frank
its not really a hassle, I was just using that as an example. A bit of a pain carrying both the bag, and your carry on, but nothing terrible
Old 06-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
IIRC, someone posted a while back saying that a separate camera bag (for said DSLR's) are not counted toward the bag counts you take on the plane with you.

I'm not 100% sure if that's true...but if it is, that's means you wouldn't have to check another (or potentially, any) bags.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:30 AM
1st TL-S on air in

Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
IIRC, someone posted a while back saying that a separate camera bag (for said DSLR's) are not counted toward the bag counts you take on the plane with you.

I'm not 100% sure if that's true...but if it is, that's means you wouldn't have to check another (or potentially, any) bags.
You are allowed 2 bags 1 big one(dont know the dimensions) and 1 purse or back pack. So it seems that every person traveling out of hawaii has 2 f&%cking bags lol. There was literally no space in the over head near our seats. But we managed to get our things stowed away at different compartments. It sucked so bad departing the plane trying to get to the various compartments to get out bags. Hopefully the flight to Minneapolis will be filled with light travelers.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:34 AM
1st TL-S on air in

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Take the camera and send the treats via UPS or FedEX. NOT USPS. They will infect your treats with the AIDS.

I sometimes travel with my DSLR and only the one lens that is attached.
I wish shipping to and from Hawaii was cheap. This is why my Chinese fiance wanted to carry on all those snacks. But i did bring my dslr with the 24-55 lense on and packed one extra lense 28-135.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:36 PM
all work and no play

Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed

yeah, that would have been me. TSA says you can be allowed a 3rd bag if if its camera equipment. HOWEVER its entirely up to the airlines as to wether they allow that, as it isnt manditory

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
You are allowed 2 bags 1 big one(dont know the dimensions) and 1 purse or back pack. So it seems that every person traveling out of hawaii has 2 f&%cking bags lol. There was literally no space in the over head near our seats. But we managed to get our things stowed away at different compartments. It sucked so bad departing the plane trying to get to the various compartments to get out bags. Hopefully the flight to Minneapolis will be filled with light travelers.
yeah, it definitely sucks now days, but dont count on it being any different on the return flight. Your only hope is to get on the plane as soon as you are able to, you kinda gotta stalk the line, or counter. The longer you wait, the less chance of getting your bags near you
Old 06-18-2010, 12:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

yeah, that would have been me. TSA says you can be allowed a 3rd bag if if its camera equipment. HOWEVER its entirely up to the airlines as to wether they allow that, as it isnt manditory
REALLY.

That's quite interesting. I admit, my biggest regret about bringing the DSLR is that it chews up one of my carryon items. I would seriously consider paying a bit more for the option of bringing an extra carryon and potentially not have to check anything in at all.

Although my camera bag also carrys my laptop - I wonder if that would break the deal. (not to mention, my tenba is freakin' big, although not nearly as big as some of the "carry ons" i've seeen others lug on, geesh)

- Frank
Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,834 Likes on 2,576 Posts
I travel with my big camera backpack and my timbuk2 bag just fine as carry ons, never been hassled...even had the tripod attached for a couple trips.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:25 AM
all work and no play

REALLY.

That's quite interesting. I admit, my biggest regret about bringing the DSLR is that it chews up one of my carryon items. I would seriously consider paying a bit more for the option of bringing an extra carryon and potentially not have to check anything in at all.

Although my camera bag also carrys my laptop - I wonder if that would break the deal. (not to mention, my tenba is freakin' big, although not nearly as big as some of the "carry ons" i've seeen others lug on, geesh)

- Frank
Frank, here is the link to where I read it. Though, if you use your laptop as your personal item I would just use the bag that it fits in. When I traveled in April my gear list was considerably smaller, I had my bag and my laptop combined into a larger bag as my personal item. I didnt have any problems

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1248.shtm
Old 06-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,060 Likes on 5,160 Posts
this. well almost. i don't think id take all my lenses, probably just the 24-70. and maybe the 28-300. and.. the 50. oh wait, I guess thats all of em.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
I take mine anytime I go on a trip. Im with Chod...if you arent going to be hauling your DSLR on trips then having one is just about pointless.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I take mine everywhere!

btw.. wrxy.. were you at Waipahu Town Center Sunday Afternoon? I went back for the weekend to see my buddy get married. We rode up to Shakey's and I saw a sweet debadged 3G heading out as I was pulling into the complex.

Last edited by Majofo; 06-22-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:26 PM
i

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I do photography full time as well. When I got married, we went to Hawaii and I brought the gear that would provide the most range while at the same time not being a burden. A few zooms and primes, 2 flashes, wireless triggers, and a tripod attached to Kata. No one hassled me at any airport if anything people asked if i was a photographer. As far as bringing back goodies, the wifey and I bought an extra suit case, stuffed it with goodies, paid the extra $50 and called it a day
Old 06-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Another addict..welcome!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:40 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
The wife and I are heading to Maine for our anniversary this weekend, I just have one quick question.

Am I able to bring the batteries (Rebel XT) on the plane with me, or will they need to go in the checked suitcase?
I thought I remember seeing that camera batteries need to be checked.

On a side note: I'm kicking myself for not finding lensrentals.com sooner, 70-200 would have been nice, but I guess the good ol' 18-55 will have to do.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:11 AM
all work and no play

Im pretty sure that they DONT want the batteries checked.

Where are you going in ME? As for lens rentals, what about expedited shipping if you could really use it this weekend?
Old 07-13-2010, 06:53 AM
Living the Dream

Thanks for the input.

We're heading to Portland late tomorrow then Bar Harbor Friday afternoon.
Unless I can get the lens shipped to the B&B, I think I'll just have to wait to test out some lenses.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:56 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by cmschmie
The wife and I are heading to Maine for our anniversary this weekend, I just have one quick question.

Am I able to bring the batteries (Rebel XT) on the plane with me, or will they need to go in the checked suitcase?
I thought I remember seeing that camera batteries need to be checked.

On a side note: I'm kicking myself for not finding lensrentals.com sooner, 70-200 would have been nice, but I guess the good ol' 18-55 will have to do.
Have fun, there's also http://www.borrowlenses.com ; IIRC you can ask them to send lens to you at your destination.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

batteries below a certain voltage do not need to be checked. I travel all the time with multiple spare batteries for the dslr and laptop. No problem.

Those massive 12 cell laptop extended batteries could be a problem, but that's it.

- Frank
Old 07-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Everytime I'm on vacation, I ALWAYS bring my DSLR.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:03 PM
all work and no play

Thanks for the input.

We're heading to Portland late tomorrow then Bar Harbor Friday afternoon.
Unless I can get the lens shipped to the B&B, I think I'll just have to wait to test out some lenses.
there is a lens rental place in Southern NH, who you can rent from and then pick it up at one of the Hunts Photo and Video stores, Hunts has a location in South Portland.

http://www.glassandgear.com/
Old 07-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Living the Dream

there is a lens rental place in Southern NH, who you can rent from and then pick it up at one of the Hunts Photo and Video stores, Hunts has a location in South Portland.

awesome...may have to give them a call tomorrow am.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:29 PM
all work and no play

from what Ive read, I think they may have the lens' in stock at the Hunts stores. Worth a call at least
Old 07-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
I bought the wrong bag, and this holds me back from bringing it out more. I really need to get one that can hold a laptop too.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always bring it with me. I've never owned a pro body so I can't comment on that mobility. But my 5dmkII and D700 went with me everywhere. For lighter travel I opt to bring a couple of prime lenses. If I was really traveling light I would probably buy a smaller body and bring a couple pancake primes.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Living the Dream

awesome...may have to give them a call tomorrow am.
Impossible to call Their pre-menu message even says that you'd be better off e-mailing...oh well.

I did set it up (and hope it works out) to pick up a 70-200 F4 IS tomorrow afternoon at the Hunt's location in South Portland. Looking forward to it
Old 07-14-2010, 12:19 PM
all work and no play

cool, buying I assume? Ive had good luck with Hunts, their prices are always right in line with B&H, but as with any store, Ive read horror stories of people being charged list price "because they didnt ask for the internet price" Every time Ive bought from there, Ive gone in knowing the internet price, and that was the price they told me for it.

Quick Reply: Travel with your dlsr