Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

N00b with a Canon T1i

Old 10-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
N00b with a Canon T1i

My dad bought me a Canon T1i today. I took a few pics in RAW and they look great in camera, so now I want to convert them to JPG so that I can save them on my computer but I really don't know how to do it. I have already installed the software that came with it. They only show up while I open them in DPP but I can't save them in my picture gallery. Pics show up as .CR2 file. Any helpful tips or any pointers will help.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm not a Canon shooter, but here's a quick overview on RAW. It's basically the "negative" of the image, when you are seeing it on the viewfinder the camera is processing it and applying some color corrections/changes, when you get it on your computer you will need some software to open/read it (Lightroom, Photoshop, the software that came with the camera) and then you can save it as a jpeg or similar so other programs, picture gallery in your case, can read the file. So in DPP you should have an option to 'save as' jpeg, a Canon shooter can chime in here if they want.

My personal opinion on shooting RAW vs. jpeg, if you aren't going to be post processing your photos (exposure, white balance, saturation, etc.) a significant amount I wouldnt shoot RAW. Shooting in jpeg will produce better looking (and smaller file size) images straight out of the camera. That being said I'd play around with it and see what you like the best. You will have to convert to jpeg/tiff/something before you can view your images normally or share them with anyone.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:42 AM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
to convert in DPP, click on file, then convert and save and select where you want to save them to
Old 10-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by leftride
I'm not a Canon shooter, but here's a quick overview on RAW. It's basically the "negative" of the image, when you are seeing it on the viewfinder the camera is processing it and applying some color corrections/changes, when you get it on your computer you will need some software to open/read it (Lightroom, Photoshop, the software that came with the camera) and then you can save it as a jpeg or similar so other programs, picture gallery in your case, can read the file. So in DPP you should have an option to 'save as' jpeg, a Canon shooter can chime in here if they want.

My personal opinion on shooting RAW vs. jpeg, if you aren't going to be post processing your photos (exposure, white balance, saturation, etc.) a significant amount I wouldnt shoot RAW. Shooting in jpeg will produce better looking (and smaller file size) images straight out of the camera. That being said I'd play around with it and see what you like the best. You will have to convert to jpeg/tiff/something before you can view your images normally or share them with anyone.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. Didn't knew some of that.

Originally Posted by MWalsh9152
to convert in DPP, click on file, then convert and save and select where you want to save them to
All I gotta say is to me. That was easy. I guess next time I better before I ask any question. Thanks for keeping it simple and to the point.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:26 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
If you have enough space on your SD card(s) shoot in RAW + JPEG. This way you'll have the jpeg yet the flexibility to edit the image if you choose.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Safety Car

In with another question. I started using Picture Style Editor which came with Canon. After I am done with a file/pic it converts pics to .PF2 not the .JPG or .CR2 and it doesn't even show up in the list for convert and save. Any tips on how to convert them back to .JPG?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Safety Car

Anyone?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
You should find more help here... http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php