Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

Lightroom 2 Beta

Old 07-31-2008, 04:25 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I can Print to PDF, but don't think I can do jpg.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Ugh, I am constantly hitting this annoying bug where if I move pictures fo a different folder,
it leaves ghost thumbnails in the original folder. I have to bounce LR to get rid of them.

LR2 is pretty nice, otherwise. I hope they'll get this fixed in a patch soon.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:19 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
OK, how do I change the location where LR stores the folders? I'm running out of room on my C drive, need to move it to D drive.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,870 Likes on 5,512 Posts
ok just in case you didn't get the memo, LR sucks ass for certain things, the primary thing being temporary file management. every time you add a file to LR, it accumulates in this BIG THE F*CK ASS LR file on your hard disk, I think my current filesize is 5 facking GB's or some shiat. fUking nice. thanks LR. There is nothing you can do about it, atm.

Regarding the above posts, if you move a directory outside of LR, yes LR won't like it and LR will be very mad at you. It can't automatically detect WTF you did with the F dir and it won't even make a fake attempt at trying to find it. You have to tell it where it is. Sadly, I don't know how to do that. Thing I've done is, if I've named the file wrong or inaccurately, I've placed it in the wrong initial location and already imported and worked with it, I just accept the loss, I am done, LR wins. Just deal with it, work on the pics, export it the F out of LR and move on. ok so thanks that's my possibly slightly drunken diatribe on the facking stupid workings of LR. l8
Old 08-06-2008, 01:44 PM
nnInn

Old 08-06-2008, 01:49 PM

I didn't understand every word in srika's post, but something tells me that moving all of my photos from the C: drive to the newly added E: drive may cause a few problems with LR. I'll have to see what happens, since I haven't started up LR since the move.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Senior Moderator

ok so it was my last day at my job yesterday and we went out for drinks afterwards...

Old 08-06-2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by srika
ok so it was my last day at my job yesterday and we went out for drinks afterwards...

New job lined up?
Old 08-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by moeronn
New job lined up?
yeah - start Monday.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:10 PM

yeah - start Monday.
Congrats. Is there a thread in the main forum I missed?

And why didn't you take some time off between jobs? That's the best time to take a vacation.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by moeronn
Congrats. Is there a thread in the main forum I missed?

And why didn't you take some time off between jobs? That's the best time to take a vacation.
no thread..

can't afford to take any (unpaid) time off right now... need the monay..

honestly 3 days off is great. and I just had a week off a few weeks ago, and then I had the appendectomy thing (week off).. both of those in July.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Belaetd congrats on the new gig.

Still going to be hoofing it downtown?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

every time you add a file to LR, it accumulates in this BIG THE F*CK ASS LR file on your hard disk, I think my current filesize is 5 facking GB's or some shiat. fUking nice. thanks LR. There is nothing you can do about it, atm.
Yeah. I tend to do my work, export the history as .xmps, and then flush them out
of the catalog. Keeps it from getting out of control.

Using multiple catalogs is also not a bad idea.

The idea of a catalog, however is an good one. Provided you add keywords/etc,
it is quite useful to say, see all your waterfall shots you've taken, without needing all your files on your hard disk. You can't edit them, but you can reference them, and the previews.

You have to tell it where it is. Sadly, I don't know how to do that.
It may be different on the mac, but on windows, you just right click on the 'missing' folder, and do 'Find missing folder'. Then a file browser pops up and you just go to and select the correct location. It's not a big deal, imho.

So for Jupitersolo, all you need to do is move your stuff, retaining the same
subdirectory pattern, then do a 'update location' for the topmost folder.

Or if you meant the catalog, that's in Edit -> catalog settings -> general.

- Frank
Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,056 Likes on 2,688 Posts
Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko

It may be different on the mac.

- Frank
I have never had an issue on my mac. Even when relocating a folder.

I try and keep things as simple as possible. Since mac has a predesignated photo folder built into the OS I just create a subfolder in that called photography. And then my albums/collections/etc are all named sub folders in there.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Ha, ha, I'm bitching and moaning about the stupid crop tool on the lightroom forums.

If you sync crop across pictures of different sizes you get bizarro results, because it works by ratios, not pixels. So if you crop out a 1024x768 section of picture 1, and then sync that over to picture #2, the crop in picture #2 will be bigger/smaller depending on how much bigger/smaller
picture 2 was compared to #1. I just want a stupid 1024x768 crop across ALL pictures!!!!

*sigh*

- Frank
Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

I just want a stupid 1024x768 crop across ALL pictures!!!!
I honestly don't get what it is you're trying to accomplish with the crop tool. It almost sound's as if you're trying to use it as a bulk resize tool which I don't ever think was its intent.

Regardless, I'm ahead of you in the official crop tool bitching and moaning line with my lack of 1:1 gripe.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Billiam
I honestly don't get what it is you're trying to accomplish with the crop tool. It almost sound's as if you're trying to use it as a bulk resize tool which I don't ever think was its intent.

Regardless, I'm ahead of you in the official crop tool bitching and moaning line with my lack of 1:1 gripe.
Yeah, you and the rest of the world.
It's because I'm cropping for a specific purpose - using 'crop as free zoom' to display on my picture frame and web page, both of which have 1024x768 as their max resolution.

So in the extreme cases, I start at 1024x768 crop and see if that's usable.
If not, the picture is a throwaway.
If not, I enlarge the crop window till It's how I want it.

An example is probably in order:
Take this picture: http://lishutterbug.com/08-07-01-yel...G_7364-hi.html

What I want to do is check and see if a 1024x768 crop around the Marmot
results in a usable pic, or if the marmot is still too small and the pic is a throwaway. In this case, it was.

In this case, it wasn't: http://lishutterbug.com/08-07-01-yel...G_2526-hi.html

The only reason I'm using 'sync pictures', is because since I can't actually make
an exact 1024x768 crop window (not without dragging the crop window about 23432 times), I wanted to simply copy and paste a 1024x768 crop window
from picture A to picture B.

- Frank
Old 08-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Side note, I got the luminous landscape Lightroom 2 tutorial, and I think it's pretty good so far. It's not the meatiest thing so far, but you get good usage suggestions from people who use LR a LOT. How they organize their thousands of keywords, for example.

It's also pretty funny, when Schewe showed the 'Hide All' in the left toolbar, Reichmann cracked up and asked 'okay, what is that for exactly?' and Schewe went 'well.... uh...... I don't know'. ha!

- Frank
Old 08-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I have to say, dual monitor support is quite wonderful.
It's extremely nice to have grid (thumbnails) in one window, and full screen loupe in the other.
Or be making development adjustments with one monitor at 'view entire picture' and the other one at 100% zoom. It's just too bad you can't move the toolbars to the secondary monitor.

Isn't the primary monitor normally the 'better' monitor? And wouldn't you want the option to move the toolbars off the primary monitor so you have more real estate to view your pictures?

Oh, and learn the keyboard shortcuts!!! It really streamlines things. You can always see a list ov valid short cuts by doing control / or help -> shortcuts. It really speeds things up.
One thing I do now a lot is go into grid ('g'), right click a bunch of similar pictures, go into survey ('n') to now only view those thumbnails, then cycle and pick the ones I like ('p'),
then go back to grid. Lather, rinse, repeat.

- Frank
Old 08-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Have camera, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or Command / if you have a Mac. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Isn't the primary monitor normally the 'better' monitor?
yeah I'd have to agree with that - it's surprising the toolbars don't move along with the loupe. Guessing they will get that adjusted on one of the next versions.

edit: thinking about it some more, if I was using my laptop with a 2nd monitor (something I plan to do once I get one) - I would have my laptop set as the primary monitor just because it has the keyboard. But the new monitor would definitely be 'better'.
Oh, and learn the keyboard shortcuts!!! It really streamlines things. You can always see a list ov valid short cuts by doing control / or help -> shortcuts. It really speeds things up.
One thing I do now a lot is go into grid ('g'), right click a bunch of similar pictures, go into survey ('n') to now only view those thumbnails, then cycle and pick the ones I like ('p'),
then go back to grid. Lather, rinse, repeat.

- Frank
agreed. my most-used LR shortcuts:

g - grid
d - develop
r - rotate/crop
shift-p - mark a photo as a pick and go to the next one
shift-x - mark a photo as reject and go to the next one
Old 08-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
m - graduated filter...
Old 08-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Have camera, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
agreed. my most-used LR shortcuts:

g - grid
d - develop
r - rotate/crop
shift-p - mark a photo as a pick and go to the next one
shift-x - mark a photo as reject and go to the next one
I also like to use shift-tab then hit L twice to get rid of the tool bars and totally black out the background. It really makes your shots stand out. You can also hit T & F to hide the title bar and the filmstrip.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightroom has been a gift from the gods to me... I use it almost exclusively now.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:53 AM

Lightroom 2.2 has been released.

I'm about to install it. Major points are performance improvement to adjustments brush and camera profiles in the base product.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Nice work, the blond girl's nose appears to be sharper/pointier with each correction.

I tried this the other day - it's noticeably faster than V1 and this is a VERY welcome improvement. I poked around with the selective adjustments and it was pretty cool.

Now, I was really hoping it would speed up my workflow by allowing me to export to web size and sharpen in one process. Sadly, I was not happy with the results and cannot use it for that purpose. The sharpening adjustment I had been excited about is very minimal, it's 3 levels - low, medium, and high. I found high to be too abrasive and Medium wasn't enough - the difference between medium and high is too great - and that is too bad. I was really hoping for a slider.

I did find another solution to speed up my workflow though - Thumbs Plus Pro. I have had it for a while but revisited it only a couple of weeks ago, and found that it could help with workflow on large jobs. Previously I had only been using it to add my watermark, but now I have started to use it to resize and sharpen also. It's sharpening filter has 7 preset settings, which are customizable to a striking degree because they are done with a filter matrix. I found "Sharpen Less" to be the best balance.

Here are what the filter options look like:

the presets available under sharpen:

the customizable filter matrix - I LOVE the level of fine-tuning possible here:

So this is now my workflow for large (100+) jobs:

1) preliminary adjusting in LR (mainly cropping/straightening, haven't been using it as much for other PP)

2) export to 1920/1920 (I find this size to be a nice balance of workability and quality for 4x6 or 5x7 prints - also nice because the computer I work on pics with is at 1920x1200)

3) open pics in groups of 30-40 in PSPXI and adjust.

4) run Thumbs Plus Pro preset to resize to web (varies from 600-800px, depending on application), sharpen, and add watermark, in one batch job.

Previously after I was done with #2 I would make copies of the pics to a new folder and then open them in PSPXI again, and resize and sharpen each one manually - so TPP is saving me a good deal of work. Still it's not exactly how I want it so if the job is critical the best option is to do it all manually so I have full control. But if its just a regular batch of ~100 pics for a club gallery, the TPP batch job is fine.

I know this is kind of a threadjack but I just wanted to share because it does involve LR2. And obviously, YMMV.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:40 PM

^^ To srika - you should really look in to LR/Morgify2. You can try it out as freeware, but it limits you to only 10 exports at a time. If you like it, you make a donation (of whatever amount you feel is appropriate) and get a non-restricted version. It does watermarks, resizing (though I wish there was more to this), sharpening with a slider, borders and a few other things.

Here's a link
Old 01-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Well I finally upgraded.

With the glaring exception that you still can't adjust a crop at 100% zoom, the whole develop module is a big improvement over v1.4. Adjustment brushes are plenty fast enough on my Core2-based iMac. Post crop vignette is a godsend. Etc...

The print module seems nice, although I never used it at all in 1.x. It's fairly disappointing, however, that you can't make a layout with picture package and include multiple images on a single page.

The playback in the slideshow module still sucks ass as hard as it did on the day 1.0 came out. They should just remove it rather than continuing to carry on this piece of crap.

Bitches aside, a worthy upgrade for the cost.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 PM
nnInn

http://www.lightroomforums.net/index.php
Old 01-20-2009, 11:43 AM

The upgrade (and subsequent patches) have been great. The adjustment brushes are vastly improved since the initial 2.0 release.

Also, the graduated filter works pretty well. Works just like I imagine a (graduated) ND filter would work, but there is more flexibility.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

FWIW, I did manage to find some work arounds posted in the Adobe forums for the slideshow playback issues. The responses to them seemed to be a coin toss whether or not they actually fixed anything though.

The problem I'm referring to is a behavior where the slideshow playback starts, goes for a few slides, randomly loops back to the beginning and starts over again, plays a few additional images past the previous "loop point," loops back to the beginning again, etc...
Old 02-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

WAY important workaround for what is arguably the print module's biggest limitation.

http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/2...ge-photo-crop/
Old 05-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

this is nice... Nik Sharpener Pro 3.0 plugin for LR2... finally LR gets a good sharpening option.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0905/09...ernerpro30.asp

http://www.niksoftware.com/support/e...ntent=redirect

Nik Software Announces Sharpener Pro™ 3.0 Update for
Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 2

San Diego, CA (May, 2009) - Nik Software announces today that Sharpener Pro 3.0, its popular digital photographic plug-in offering the most advanced and powerful sharpening solution for photographers, is now available for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.3 and higher. Sharpener Pro 3.0 eliminates the guesswork typically required for achieving superior and consistent selective sharpening results. The update is available now as a free download to current owners at www.niksoftware.com/lightroom.

“Sharpener Pro 3.0 now joins Viveza, Color Efex Pro 3.0 and Silver Efex Pro for Lightroom, enabling photographers to incorporate the leading sharpening solution into their Lightroom workflow,” said Michael J. Slater president and CEO of Nik Software. “Sharpener Pro has been one of the most anticipated additions for Lightroom compatibility and we are pleased to announce that it is available. This update, like previous Lightroom compatibility releases, is offered to Sharpener Pro 3.0 users at no additional cost.”

Sharpener Pro 3.0 installs as a plug-in for Lightroom 2.3, itself a free update from earlier versions and available for download at Adobe. Once installed, Sharpener Pro 3.0 is accessible via the Lightroom Photo>Edit In… menu. Edits made using the plug-in within Lightroom are non-destructive in nature, with edits applied automatically to a newly generated TIFF file and not the original. Sharpener Pro 3.0 also takes advantage of Lightroom’s efficiencies for everyday tasks, including the ability to edit multiple images in one session, increasing productivity for photographers.

About Sharpener Pro 3.0
Featuring Nik Software's patented U Point technology, Sharpener Pro 3.0 enables photographers to selectively sharpen objects within their images. U Point-powered Control Points are easy to use and offer precise control over sharpening intensity without the need to create complicated selections and layer masks.

Additional key features of Sharpener Pro 3.0 include:

* Output Sharpening—Provides the ultimate control to create perfectly sharpened images on all devices and media types such as display, inkjet, continuous tone, half tone, and hybrid tone
* Creative Sharpening—Enhances fine details and textures with new structure, focus, and local contrast tools for drawing attention to desired areas within the image
* Industry-First Sharpening Soft Proof—Allows detailed inspection of sharpening results on screen before printing, eliminating costly test prints
* Output Presets—Enables custom settings to be saved for consistent, professional results
* RAW Presharpener—Retains and enhances sharp details within images without amplifying noise and other artifacts
* Multi-Image Support (Aperture & Lightroom)—Provides compatibility with multi-image support in Aperture and Lightroom, allowing photographers to easily copy and paste settings between images to maintain consistency
* Powerful Selective Tool (Photoshop only)—Enables the use of Photoshop’s brush tools to paint in sharpening selectively
* Smart Filter Support (Photoshop only)—Provides compatibility with Adobe Photoshop’s Smart Objects enabling adjustments to sharpening after Sharpener Pro has been applied

Pricing and Availability
The fully compatible Sharpener Pro 3.0 product, offering support for Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, and Apple Aperture, is available immediately for electronic delivery directly from Nik Software or through specialty camera retailers. Current owners of Sharpener Pro 3.0 may download a free update.

The suggested retail price of Sharpener Pro 3.0 is $199.95. Upgrades from any previous version are available for $99.95. Sharpener Pro 3.0 installs as a plug-in for either Adobe Photoshop, Apple Aperture 2.1, or Lightroom and is available for Windows and Macintosh operating systems, including Vista and Leopard.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:01 PM
nnInn

Thanks, I just d/l Silver Efex plugin for LR2
Old 05-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

I own three pieces of Nik's software but I have yet to d/l the LR plugins for any of them. What I recall reading, however, is that Nik's LR plugins basically just make their packages accessible from within LR. Anything you do in the Nik package gets saved into a new Nik-effected PSD file copy of your image which is automatically added to your Lightroom catalog. To say it another way, the adjustments you make in the Nik software are not saved as pure metadata as Lightroom's own "native" adjustments are. The Nik adjustments are "rendered" into another copy of your image.

That's all coming from memory though so I could be wrong or things could have changed.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:58 PM
nnInn

See how it works, when I'm in LR and I can't figure out how to salvage a shot I messed up, I look at it as a B&W as the last resort before trashing it. I have a bunch of B&W presets all already, it'll be nice to see via NIK without having to take it into PS. If it works that's way.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:24 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,056 Likes on 2,688 Posts
200 bucks for sharpening???
Old 05-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Old 05-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Nik has never been bashful about their prices. From the perspective of hobbyists like us, their products are damn expensive. Where Nik's plugins stand apart from the crowd is their U-point technology which allows you to make targeted adjustments easier and much faster than dealing with layer masks or channels in Photoshop. From the perspective of a working pro, the increased productivity this offers probably justifies Nik's seemingly high prices.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:06 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
$170.00 @amazon.com, but it depends on how well you need to sharpen. The one in LR is adolescent at best.

Quick Reply: Lightroom 2 Beta